Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Transmission Failure

Comments

• What state AG contacted Ford? My 2007 Ford Freestyle was delivered in January, 2007. In March 2008, the transmission went and the DEALER had the Freestyle the end of May, 2008. the DEALER told me that "PEOPLE" were flown in from "Detroit." Then, in August, 2009, the transmission went on the Mass Pike. I called the DEALER and I was told that it was my responsibility because the car was out of warranty, but the new transmission only had 11,000 miles on it. (As an aside, no one was at the dealership that I had any contact with when the transmission went in 2008. I called Ford. I was told that this was not a "Ford problem" because it was not fixed by Ford, but rather by the "transmission shop around the corner." I am outraged!!! :mad:
  • kdibkdib Posts: 5
    I am in Maryland, but using the AG didn't help any even with the car still under Warranty.
  • Okay....does anyone else have the problem of gauges dropping out and taking the transmission with it? I was on the highway the other day, just hit 55 mph when all of my gauges when totally black and my transmission jumped into neutral. I immediately pulled off the road. I killed the engine and started back up and it was fine. Gauges came back. Weird. We have had gauge drop out problems within a year of buying the thing back in 2009. About 8 months ago, the transmission started jerking when the gauges would go black. We just didn't have the money to have it looked at. Guess what our tax return will be spent on this year? You guessed it, car repairs!
  • I totally fixed my Freestyle (2005 SE CVT). I traded it in.
  • I posted this message in a slightly different form in an another thread.

Did you hear a clicking sound when your gauges and engine went out? Did they blink, or drop to zero? Was your radio affected?

If so, I had a similar problem with my Saab 9000 years ago. My gauges, lights and radio would go out with lots of clicking while driving down the road. The vehicle would shutter as the engine went out - again briefly for a second or so. It would then start up and all would come back on. It was completely intermittent.

The dealer kept it for over a month and couldn't figure out what it was. I mentioned this concern to a customer of mine and he suggested replacing the positive battery cable. I told him the cable looked fine. He said just do it. I told them to do it since they had the car. They may have replaced the negative cable too. And it worked! Apparently there was wire corrosion inside the cable which was apparently covered by the cable covering. I never had any trouble again.

Just a thought...
  • Our Freestyle (New, 2006 and about 55,000) did the same thing. My wife met a old friend of her's at our dealership (who she doesn't keep in contact with) about what it had been doing. She said she had the same problem with their's.

Her husband was looking to sue, but we've never talked to them again so I don't know how that went. At that chance meeting, she said that she had been told that it was related to how the transmission had been maintained. She her self even said then, means to what she was told, since we had purchased the 5 year, 75,000 mile maintenance plain, (were the dealership takes care on all maintenance on our Freestyle for that time) we may not have that problem as bad.

She was right. Our dealer (Allstate Ford in Louisville, Ky) said that couldn't fix something that wasn't broken when they look at it. They also said they didn't know of any such problem (I don't know how true that may be). They did say that they would give it a very good look over right before our (which is what will come first) 5 Years expire.

I am very happy with Allstate, so much so that we now take our 99 Taurus there to have all of it's maintenance taken care of there.

As far as I'm concerned; The only problem with our Freestyle is, it isn't a Flex. Other than that, I would buy it all over again.

Ray. :shades:

Retired from Ford Motor Co. (Hourly worker)

Now I am working at Lowe's and Loving it. It's a great place to work (well, at least it is when you know you don't have to work).
  • The radio doesn't go, but the air conditioner will. When the gauges drop out without taking anything with it (Rare occasion) they do click and pop. I have it in the shop right now with someone looking into it. One place said it sounded like the control module and refused to even look at it and see if that really was the problem. If this place can't find anything I will do as you suggest with the battery. It may need a new battery and cables.
  • sowen8sowen8 Posts: 6
    Heard back from the shop earlier today. I will have to take it back to the dealership. The instrument cluster is going out and has to be replaced (which it seems only the dealership can do, imagine that). The dealership said that the worst case scenario would cost me about $650 installed. Bye-bye anniversary trip!
  • We have the same problem. It is not the alternator I know that for sure as we had ours replaced since and it did not fix it! What a piece of S**T!!
  • Let me know if that fixes the problem. PLEASE!!
  • wburkettwburkett Posts: 2
    edited May 2011
    Went the whole winter, the car was ok. still sounds like an airplane taking off. Car is stalling when I turn the wheel. What is Ford waiting for, a serious accident for a recall. too many problems with this car.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,816
    That no one has commented on the recent news that the NTSB is opening an investigation of the FS throttle body and unintended acceleration...
  • Thank you for taking the time to post this. It has worked for me so far.
  • Mine started with a small sound when in park. I took it to my mechanic and he said it was probably a bearing in the transmission that would eventually need to be fixed. A month later mine started the lunging (mainly when it was really hot out) sometimes it would die, the wrench light would come on. If I turned it off and started it again the problem went away. Today I was driving and my RPM's started acting weird. I pulled in the driveway and that little transmission noise was constant. I tried to drive it to see what would happen and now my RPM's will not shift at all. I cannot even drive it and it only has 55K miles on it. This car is a piece of CRAP!
  • Are you talking about every summer, when I have to use my air conditioning, and my 2006 Ford Freestyle accelerates by itself, when my foot is on the brake, especially if I am in Reverse? REALLY SCARY!
    I have just hit 98,000 miles and my transmission went out on a road trip yesterday. Ford says they'll do not a thing about it, since it's past my 75K extended warranty. And their lovely quote is for $5,800 at the Dealership, to replace the transmission. I bought it new off the lot for $36,000. 5 years later, it's only worth a whopping $9,000?!! WHAT THE ****?! And THAT'S if the transmission were to be in working order. So, really, my 2006 Ford Freestyle is now worth $3,200. And I still owe $14,000. I will Never, Ever, buy another Ford.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Things happen. Do you think that no other manufacurer's transmissions fail in less than 100,000 miles? Lots of them do. You are 23,000 miles beyond the warranty. What do you expect Ford or any other manufacturer to do?
    Granted the CVT was not one of Ford's better ideas. That is why I would never buy a present day Nissan. Most of their cars and SUVS use the CVT.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    We have a fwd Freestyle and a Nissan Versa. No problems with either cvt and both are a pleasure to drive, especially in town-smooth and alert. The cvt in Nissans is warranted for 10 years or 100,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with a cvt and they are not all the same.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Glad you are having good luck with your CVTs. However, the Nissan boards, especially the Rogue and Murano have many, many complaints about CVT problems.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    You can look at the Acura MDX transmission problem forum to see that it's not just the Freestyle that has transmission issues. In fact, someone posted there that they're never buy an other Acura and was looking at buying a Ford next time, so it seems like the "grass is always greener" saying holds true!
  • Wrench light went on on dashboard, freestyle (2006) 95,000 mi; was told it was a computer_$1000;
    3 mos later, driving on highway at 65mph, Freestyle lost all power, self shifted to a low gear; gas would not get to the engine; many dashboard lights were flashing; pulled off road. At rest in park, stepped on gas pedal with no increase in engine speed; shuty car off and restarted (rebooted) and car worked fine for a few miles until it happened again, and again.

Ford shop said it was the transmission computer. $1200

no sooner than I got the Freestyle back, I stop at stop sign and give gas to go through the intersection, nothing happens, ie no power. Wrench light on dashboard is lit. It then goes normally until the sporadic next time.

Ford shop_initially could find nothing wrong. Pushed them telling how dangerous it was. Kept the car for a week. Took transmission apart. Something "leaking". Repair estimate $4,000; new transmission $6,000.

Car is in great shape (limited version). Do I buy a new car (not made any more) or fix this one.

The 4-wheel drive in the Freestyle was really good in blizzards.

Does anyone know what they did with that 4-wheel (all wheel) drive mechanism? Which Ford vehicles has it now?

Thanks, Sandy
  • Hi Sandy,
    Here's my experience. I have a 2006 Freestyle. In October 2009 at 55,000 miles I had to have the transmission replaced (thank goodness I had the extended warrenty. Then again in August 2011 at 83,000 miles I had to have it replaced again.....again it was under warrenty. It has a 3 year warrenty on the current transmission. If it wasn't for we still owe on the car I'd be getting rid of it. I can't believe I've had to have the transmission replaced TWICE and the car is only 5 years old!!! Anyway, my suggestion.......new car! This one is not worth the headache!
  • I am currently on my second transmission...which is starting to go bad. Only had it 3 years.
  • I had gotten the extended 5 yr mechanical warranty, that ran out at the end of May. Now, of course all my problems occur afte the warranty runs out completely and now have no recourse. I have had the dealership where I bought it also take care of all maintenance. I think that when so many vehicles 5yrs and younger are having the same problem then I think ethicly Ford should do a recall knowing that these problems are not just isolated and random. I really love Ford and I love the Ranger that we have. I even applauded them when they didn't take the bailout. I really love the car and it works great holding my family and everything else that I have to haul around.
  • tommyshaptommyshap Posts: 2
    After 6 months of surging while stopped, my transmission on my 2005 Freestyle died on Saturday. We still owe $8000 on the car. To fix the transmission, $5200 for parts (from Ford) and upwards of $1700 for labor. Yay, Ford!? Filed my complaint with the NHTSA and Ford. Meanwhile, getting trading in car and finding a way to pay off the balance. Yay, Ford!? Things go wrong on cars of all kinds. I get it. But most parts can be repaired and/or replaced for a lot less... Back to Hondas where I'll take a chance of dealing with air compressors at 120,000 miles and for a lot less money.
  • tommyshaptommyshap Posts: 2
    I've filed with the NHTSA today. 05 Freestyle, transmission shot...looking at $7000 to replace.
  • isilinisilin Posts: 3
    I guess all of us, who own a Freestyle, are in the same situation. The lucky ones who haven't had the trouble yet are just heading for a "surprise" some day. I had a transmission replaced just this summer in June and now the second is beginning to make loud noises. This is just a money-sucking black hole. I've also submitted an NHTSA complaint today. There are only 117 complaints listed on their website for the 2005 model. Everyone who hasn't filed yet, should do so: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • momfmomf Posts: 10
    Finally---Ford admits they are at fault for the throttle body issue. I got a letter from Ford this week. If the throttle body fails, the repair is covered for the first 150K miles on the car. If you've already had it done, the letter says to take your receipt to your dealer for a refund of the cost of repairs.
  • Who sent you the letter? Your local Ford or HQ in Michigan? I am not finding anything on the internet about a recall or admission by Ford. How do I get one, too? We replaced our throttle body a month ago and the wrench light has gone on and off 6 or 7 times in the last couple weeks. Brought it back to them and they couldn't find anything wrong.
  • Lets see where do I start, Lets begin with this, I have owned 2 Ford Freestyles in the last year, a 2005 and now currently a 2007 AWD SEL.

I have had problems with both these vehicles and both times transmission, the 2005 started with a lurching forward at any given time when at low drive speed (IE: pulling into park and backing up to get out of parking space.) greatly increased in the heat of the summer with air-conditioner on. Then the noise started from the transmission, I looked at it and tried to hear where the noise was coming from but with no success as it seemed to come from everywhere and a couple locations. So before I even had a chance to bring to ford the Torque converter and gears associated had blew up and caused catastrophic damage to the transmission which required a rebuilt and a $4500.00 bill, after the replacement I still had issues with lurching and lunging forward and was told that i had to replace the Throttle Body Module, at another $905.36, re-programed the computer ( flashed ). I did not have enough time to have tested everything that was done as i was T-boned at an intersection 1 1/2 weeks later that wrote off my car. I was not a happy camper, as not only did I loose my money from the transmission, i have been out of work since November 23,2011 to date. I don't know if I will be able to return i have been suffering from health related issues from the accident and have no time frame to getting better.

With the write off of my 2005 ford freestyle, i needed another vehicle, the girlfriend and i enjoyed this vehicle so much we decided to go ahead and get another freestyle as we liked its all around functionality for what we used it for and that is allot of highway driving to and from the trailer and space. we purchased the 2007 ford freestyle on December 23/2011 and loved it ever since, I realized that we were having the same issues as we did with the 2005 in the summer of 2012 with regards to the lurching and lunging.

I brought my 2007 back to the dealer i bought it from and they informed me of the throttle body issue. I asked if warranty will cover they checked into it for me and said no.

I could not afford a $1000 dollar repair. The lurching had stopped so I decided not do anything at that moment. I had bought some cleaners to see if the throttle body issue would stop or lighten up and it did for the most part. Odd time here and there would i have the issue.

I then started to hear a noise from the time i would start my freestyle until I engaged drive or reverse, the noise would go away even in driving, with a week of hearing this noise i noticed when i would put the car in reverse and move i heard a very loud gear winding noise.

I paid close attention to it, keeping track of things as well, i finally decided to bring into a shop with my after market warranty, it is currently being investigated for transmission issue, the mechanic has suggested to me that he thinks it some kind of a ( plemun gear ?? ) not sure. but he needs to open the transmission and go from there.

I called Ford Canada today, reported issue and was told there is a 1 time customer service satisfaction recall/??.

I have the number for it and was told after the transmission is fixed bring to a ford dealer and this will be taken care care of the following is what Nancy said at ford, they will clean the throttle body and or replace and re-flash the computer. Now i think this might do it but i have my doubts.

Plus this does not fix or help me with the transmission issue as i think the two are directly related, this whole transmission is based on electronic signals sent to it via the computer and throttle body.

My question to anybody that wants to listen and i would also direct to Ford is, if you know the throttle body is causing the electronic lunge forward, on a system that is mechanical, would this not cause early failure in the transmission as its the transmission that is being told what to do by the electronics that are being fed by the computer?????.

I know it seems simple to ask and the question is simple and may not be related but i cant seem to understand why one part fails and its fixed by replacing and re-flashing a computer that controls everything from top to bottom in the car. Its not right, I Believe there is a direct issue with the computer to the transmission because there are more electronics in this CVT transmission than any other, I believe the lurching forward that goes on is not the only issue. I believe that the problems the computer has with the throttle body and the signals it sends to the computer to cause parts within the transmission to prematurely wear and or break. because who knows what else the electronic signal is activated at the wrong time within the transmission.

Sorry if I sounded long winded in this but I believe I have a true and valid point with Ford and ford is hiding more than what they are saying or just fixing as a customer satisfaction. I am not happy with them even though i enjoy there cars and trucks and think they are the better one of the north American dealers and would go back to them with a new purchase if I could afford it.... But I think they need to stand up to this issue and fix both the transmission and computer as I am no computer wizard I do know computers can send more than one signal at a time to cause parts not to function in the right order. Hence causing catastrophic failure in the transmission.

Thank you.

mjbelfiori@rogers.com
  • momfmomf Posts: 10
    I got the letter from Ford HQ. The letter said if it hadn't yet happened, take it in for a "cleaning". If it has already happened, and you've had it repaired, take the receipt to the dealer. I took my letter to the dealer on Tuesday 12/18. They're sending it to Michigan and will supposedly get my check. About the wrench light...if it's not under warranty, have someone other than a ford dealer look at it.