Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Transmission Failure

Comments

• coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    "Another note, upon inspection of my transmission, they also found that my engine mount bracket was broken/damaged, so they replaced that (Part # 5F9Z-6F055-CB). "

That is the upper (very visible on top of the engine) "roll resistor' torque engine mount. That thing is a known weak spot on the Freestyle/500/Montego. There was anothe forum that posted pictures of bad ones, with deteriorating rubber in there. Mine has minor cracks, but is still OK.
  • Anybody have experience with towing a boat (about 1000 pounds) with a 2007 Freestyle with the CVT Transmission. Kind of makes me nervous. Thanks.
  • thc3thc3 Posts: 3
    Just curious. I just bought a used 2007 limited AWD (had only 11400) this last February. any problems so far with yours? Hearing bout these 05's and 06's training problems makes me slightly nervous. Like the car alot but I relied on Consumer report. if i had known there were potential problems and did a more diligent job of just trusting CR i may not of purchased this car. To anyone else out there I currently have the premium care warrenty and the Pre owned certified Powertrain Limited Warrenty up to six years of original purchase 1/24/10 or 100,000 miles.
    forgot to continue in last message. Anyone have problems w/ Ford honering their agreements?????????????
  • kdibkdib Posts: 5
    I have the a cvt problem 2007 AWD Limited. Ford will not do anything. It happened at Approx 8K and 15K. As the problem went away dummy me ignored it that killed me for the Lemon Law .
    At 20527 it happened again took it to the Dealer (Error code P2765 & 2766) upgraded software.
    At 21150 it happened again took it to the Dealer (Error code P2765 & 2766) upgraded software again.
    At 22528 it happened again took it to the Dealer (Error code P2765 & 2766) Cleaned electrical connections.
    At 23859 it happened again took it to the Dealer (Error code P2765 & 2766) Just reset codes drove it a while and returned it to me.
    At 24391 it happened again took it to the Dealer (Error code P2765 & 2766) Just reset codes drove it a while and returned it to me again.
    Called Ford customer service (That is an oxymoron) and now am talking to the Attorney Generals office.
    Any other suggestions?
  • jsal2jsal2 Posts: 3
    I have a Ford Freestyle 2005 that had the CVT transmission. Last May I literally dropped the transmission in the car (the car had just over 36,000 miles). It sounded as if I had hit something but it was actually the transmission -- leaving pieces of the engine all over the road. Not only did the transmission need to be replaced, but other engine parts as well because of the parts of the transmission hitting them (sorry, I don't recall the exact terminology). I spoke with Ford but they would do nothing. Not even help a little with the repair costs because I had exceeded the 36K/3year warranty. (in hind sight, was a ridiculous short warranty). Regardless we were stuck paying about $5,000 for the repairs and are now stuck with the car. We purchased an extended warranty after the repairs were complete... I guess we should have bought it when we bought the car. Chances are, we will never need it now, so the $1200 cost will only account for a little piece of mind that we don't have to come up with another $5,000 for future repairs. Has anybody had any luck with Ford?
    :confuse: May I ask what exactly happened (i.e. breakdown, make funny noises)
  • kdibkdib Posts: 5
    Wrench Light comes on and car will not go over 25 MPH. During the Service Writers test drive he stopped and shifted into reverse and back to drive It made a huge banging sound during both shifts.
  • Rusty60,

I am interested to know if you have discovered any pending legal action. It is obvious to me from reading a slew of posts on several websites and from the fact that Ford discontinued the use of this transmission, that there is an inherent problem. Our 2006 Freestyle started acting up last fall. The wrench light would come on and the rpms would shoot up (I was told by a non Ford mechanic that at the sign of problems the transmission would go into second gear to prevent any catastrophic incident). When you turned off the vehicle and then restarted it it would drive fine. We eventually determined that the instigating factor was the resume function in cruise control. It would drive fine until you needed to brake and then as soon as you hit resume the problem would reoccur. The dealer we bought it from told us we would need a new transmission (about $ 6,000) and we would be responsible for paying it. I took the vehicle to our normal mechanic, who was not able to duplicate the problem but did get an error message from the computer indicating a problem in the transmission. We decided that no more harm (than replacing the transmission) could be done by continuing to drive the vehicle (without using the cruise control), until the problem reoccurred. My son drove the vehicle without incident for about six months. Then over the weekend the problem reappeared, this time without using the cruise control. And because it happened several times in one day, we took it to our mechanic. Our mechanic came to the determination this time that it was the engine computer causing the problem (not the transmission), but that is a repair only Ford can perform. I am not interested in going back to Ford, because they acted like this was an isolated incident, where all of these posts would indicate otherwise (not exactly making me trust them). I would appreciate any suggestions as to who to go to and how to deal with this issue.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    "It is obvious to me from reading a slew of posts on several websites and from the fact that Ford discontinued the use of this transmission, that there is an inherent problem."

Ford discontinued the transmission due to cost...the 6spd was cheaper. Reliability of the CVT is average or above average according to JD Power and Consumer Reports, so it's hard to imagine a class action lawsuit. If there were, then you'd think every car with poor and below average reliability stats would also have class action lawsuits against them.

It's not that the CVT is unreliable, but when there are problems they seem harder & more costly to repair.
  • My freestlye is an 06 and going down the road went up to almost 4 rpms i could only drive 35 mph and then lost power and it was smoking. Now it is perfectly fine the repair shop says they can't find anything wrong is this what yours did?
  • sc1t3ach3rsc1t3ach3r Posts: 1
    We bought our car new in 2005. We have had it serviced by the dealer when it was time for each scheduled maintance. Oct. 2009, we had to replace the alternator in the car. Now the A/C compressor has failed, and we're told the transmission is also failing. Yes, I have even experience jumping from the car just as I come to a complete stop. It feels at times like someone has rear-ended us. Yes, we have 90,000 miles on it. Prior to the 36,000 mile warranty, the car was at the dealers to have the interior door panels replaced 3 times due to bubbling, and rear brakes replaced twice during this time. Yes, they finally told us about the recall on the brakes after the 2nd replacement. I have even complained how the fabric stains easily with rain. I have even steamed cleaned the car several times to remove rain stains & condensation stains from water bottles. We had to get fabric since we have several pets. The stains came before the pets were allowed in the car. We have owned several Ford products, but have never seen anything quiet like this. Needless to say, we're disappointed. Ran great when it was working properly and even good gas mileage, we travel a lot with a family. We keep autos in this family more than 5 years, still have a car that works, runs, driveable, good transmission from 1983, it only seats 2. I have contacted the Ford dealer in the area again, for repairs, but cost of repairs vs. car value do not compute. Now, just unhappy with vehicle.
  • Hi,

I have a 2006 Frestyle FWD with 110200 miles. i purchased the vehicle used and it develop a loud noise on the trans. I took the vehicle to ford and they dignosed to be a main bearing or imput shaft but that it would take complete dissasmble of the trans to complete(about 900 dollars). for a soft rebuilt with no hard parts 2800.00 dollars and for a remanufactured one 5600 dollars, well i paid for the vehicle 6600.00 dollars hehehe. I went to a shop that i know since i am in the use car business and they charged for labor 900. plus parts and they show me what had gone bad on the trans, bearing and output shaft with the planetary. I purchased with a dealer discount the planetary 487.00 dollars, rebuilt kit with steels included 225.00, 10 qts of fluid and bang brand new transmission. $1700.00 dollars they even serviced my a/c for the price and detailed the car since one of their mechanics painted a bumper and got overspray on mine.

i have the part that went bad and also i have documents of parts that ford had to dispose in the past due to improper packaging and some of those parts ended in transmission, so maybe after all ford has made mistakes and we are paying for it.

if anyone wants their service to fix their transmission let me know. you can ship it to them and they will fix it and ship to you. also that upper torque mount that breaks on all the cars but just the rubber soon i am going to have an idependent manufacturer make just the bushing for a fraction of what the entire mount cost.

keep in touch.

Ed
  • lanbabalanbaba Posts: 45
    I have a 05 AWD Limited with 65K miles on it. Last year the upper torque mount's rubber completely failed and I purchase some parts for the Volvo and did some modification and installed it myselft, and it cost much less than the whole mount (dealer want 2xx for the part, plus the labor). Google and you will find the instructions on how to do it, several different ways.
    Unfortunately my wf crashed the car a few weeks back and it is still in the shop now (insurance won't total it, cost about 7K to repair, but, it's the other party's fault). I will sell the car and get some replacement. I want another Freestyle, but ford discontinued the taurus X, and I'm lost now. :confuse:
  • engr76vtengr76vt Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 2006 Freestyle and has recently experienced a problem similar to those listed...she has had it back to the dealership a couple of times....this last time they claimed they had found the problem and replaced a "mega-electronic" module according to the daughter. It failed again on the way home from the dealer.
    In her case, she says after about 35-40 miles the transmission will suddenly
    quit. If she turns the engine off and then back on....everything is fine for a while.
    At least some of the times I know she said she was using the cruise. Does anyone have any ideas on the nature of the fix ????
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Posts: 877
    engr76vt, Not "mega-electronic". That should be "mechatronic", which means an actuator/sensor combination device.
  • momfmomf Posts: 10
    My 2006 Freestyle just hit 90K miles, and alas, the transmission is failing! The car would lurch when I put it in gear, even with my foot on the brake. Three days ago, it happened every time I put the car in gear. Then, both check engine and wrench indicator light went on. Car would not go over 25,even though RPM high. I urge all of you who have this problem to report it to the NHSTA. It is a safety issue; Ford needs to acknowledge it, and they need to give us help.
  • kieracmkieracm Posts: 5
    I purchased a brand new 2007 ford freestyle and now after 72,000 miles and many other problems that I had to fix on my own because I didn't purchase the warranty, I had to take it today to the dealership because of the Throttle Body that needs to be replaced. This will cost me about $1,000.00. My car is accelerating on it's own, the wrench light comes on after the acceleration, and I loose power all together. I am forced to shut off the vehicle, wait a couple of minutes and start the car back on. Just imagine this situation on a busy highway...

The only way we can make sure the dealer fixes this problem is to call the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. I just did this myself and it took me about 20 minutes, however, a case number was sent to me immediately. If we all take 20 minutes of our time, we can have Ford fix these problems and who knows? maybe even save somebody's life...
  • rhondasuerhondasue Posts: 1
    My transmission has been whining alittle and has slipped a few times. I took it to a shop and they said the transmission is going to have to be replaced. The car is only a 07!!! It also has brake problems, the cruise control has stopped working and my brake lights are staying on.... Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. :mad:
  • Well, your description sounds just like the problem I had which was diagnosed as a throttle body. The part to repair it is on national backorder and no date for acquisition is available.
    Some of the posts I've read on a number of forums suggest having the throttle body cleaned instead of repaired. I have asked my dealer about that, but his response was that my part is broken and can't be cleaned. How am I to know?