Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Will Be a Future Classic?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,704
    1997 was first year for C5

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,852
    The Chrysler "cloud cars" came out for 1995, as did the Contour/Mystique, so neither of them would have been eligible for "Car of the Year".

The Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick Century/Regal were new for 1997. I have more respect for those cars than I do the 1997 Malibu. But other than that and the C5 Corvette, I don't think there was really anything new on the domestic front.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    I had a 1995 Accord. I test drove a 1998 in Feb,1998 and traded in 95 immediately. The 1998 V6 EX or LX was great improvement over a very excellent 95 model. Every mfr was and still is chasing the Honda "standard".
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,168
    I read that Chevy will discontinue the Cobalt SS. This is another example GM killing a model after they finally get it right. The SS, which is available as a sedan for '09, in addition to the coupe which was introduced in '08, is generally regarded as the best Cobalt model, by a wide margin.

This begs the question, then, of whether the Cobalt SS will one day be a collectible. It's fast, handles well, and relatively few of them will have been made before it goes out of production.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    Well it's an "interesting" car, and it goes like stink, so my feeling is that ANY car that goes fast will be somewhat collectible to someone, just for the fun value.

But the Cobalt SS does not possess a number of important traits that any "strong collectible" should have---a) loved when new by many people b) prestigious or iconic image; c) interesting or attractive styling. The only attribute it DOES have is "performance or interesting engineering".

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,080
    I can't imagine that developing a Cruze SS with a higher-boost turbo, revised suspension, larger brakes/wheels/tires, and body kit would cost that much. But, when you're on the dole, every expenditure will be scrutinized by the public.

If GM and Chrysler become American Leyland (government owned), they'll probably kill off anything remotely exciting, including the Corvette.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    The Corvette is an American icon. I can't imagine that it would get the ax when there are so many other easy targets.
    It would never "get the ax". What would happen in the worst scenario is that the Corvette name would be sold off to a private concern that would continue building them.

This is probably what is going to happen to Viper---which sells only about 1/3 as many cars as Corvette.

The other thing that could happen to the Corvette if it remains a Chevy model is that GM may not allocate resources to introduce the next generation of this iconic model. I sure hope this won't happen, but it wouldn't be surprising if that's what happens.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    I don't think that it would be the end of the world to let the 'vette "coast" for a few years with only detail improvements. The current generation is pretty highly regarded. Does it really need to be any faster? :shades:
    No it's already stupid-fast and well beyond the capabilities of 99% of the people who would buy one.

If you even run over a fist-sized rock at 185 mph, you are dead meat.

I agree with what both of you said. The '09 Corvette is a really nice car, and a performance bargain.
    Yep, you cannot go any faster any cheaper, AND get over 20 mpg!!

My only gripe about Corvettes is they do not seem to hold up cosmetically. After 4-5 years, you can see the wear and tear unless you are a very careful type.

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    I don't think that it would be the end of the world to let the 'vette "coast" for a few years with only detail improvements.

You're right. After all the C3 vette stayed unchanged for 15 years, and the C4 for 14 years. So if this one debuted in 2005, and money is tight, we might not see any change until 2020. By then there will be either no Corvette, or some oddball hybrid version. :sick:

By the way Oregonboy, my wife and I drove down the Oregon coast a few weeks ago and you guys have some of th most beautiful scenic highways. :shades:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Corvette not totally highly regarded. Saw a review in WSJ recently where the tester/writer dumped on the poor interior of the ZR1.

Another thing about the Vette is that it probably would do very poorly in a head-on.
    Yes but if a car has charisma and great performance, collectors forgive all kinds of faults. Look at vintage Ferraris for instance. If your new car had the reliability and build quality of a '65 Ferrari, you'd burn it.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    "Saw a review in WSJ recently where the tester/writer dumped on the poor interior of the ZR1."

I was disappointed with that article, latest C&D loved it, and (surprisingly) Top Gear drove it, a CTS-V, and a Challenger SRT-8, and loved them all. They usually dump on our crude Yank iron.
    The Corvette isn't "crude" (like the Viper). It's comfy, rides great, handles well enough if you don't push your limitations....what they are hammering on is the same old story for domestics----build quality and quality of materials.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    Oh, I agree on the Corvette, but Top Gear loves to dump on Corvettes in particular. That's why I was so surprised at their glowing review. They drove the 3 from San Francisco to Bonneville, then did standing start mile tests.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,704
    Saw the ZR-1 at the car show, today...

It's pretty impressive... even without thinking of the 600+ hp ... :surprise:

But... And, I think I have this right... there was a CTS-V.. $63K... 556 HP!!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs