Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Strange, what year is it? Our 95 has developed the same problem. My daughter drives it and has been using one of those Ipod FM transmitter swivel arm things in the lighter outlet. When you pull it out the top of the console moves up with it a ways. I don't have a wiring diagram for this car but I'm wondering if there's a connection block back behind there somewhere that is having an effect some effect on it.
    I found a wiring diagram. The lighter and the power door locks are fed off the same 15A fuse (labeled "courtesy"). Haven't had a chance to check it yet.
  • My daughters car has done the exact same thing. I changed out the emergency blinker switch and it didn't help. Any one have any ideas?
  • we checked every fuse and couldn't find anything wrong with them. they will still lock when driving, just not off the buttons.
  • Hey im new to the site, I owned a 2002 grand am Se I might change the topic here but I have a custoim interior for sale, its a painted interior, door pieces, center console. Its a real head turner, I know most paintedinteriors look crapy but not this one it looks as it would be fiberglass, its real glossy, please email me if your intrested..... Oh and the color is red. Im asking $300 bucks for it Its really nice. My email is martell_correa@hotmail.com
    In my case it turned out to be the courtesy fuse. That 15A fuse supplies the 12V outlet, power door locks, and power mirrors if so equipped. The power door locks will still lock when you put it into gear even if the fuse is out.
  • Really eh? and where would I find the "courtesy fuse"? is it in the panel with the rest? if so, do you know what number it is? this seems to be what the problem is....
    On the main fuse panel, left side of dash. Top row, second over from the right if I remember right.
  • I think my neighbor messed up my delayed locking when he was installing a new radio. My 2004 Grand Am would chime 3 times before the door locks and now it doesn't also the car doesn't chime when I leave my headlights on and turn the car off.

What could I do
  • My girlfriend headlights on her 94 grand am kept shutting off while she was driving. THey usually would kick back on if she hit her hi beams.

Now no headlight works.Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with this vehicle.

I am thinking that it is a fuse, But i have no clue which one it is.
    Supposively Pontiac sais that headlamp fuse will cost 20 bucks. I know there has to be some place were I can get a cheaper fuse to fit this car Does anyone know where I could get one. Thanks

DB
  • This is my first time at this site. I have a 95 Pont Grand Am GT that has the water problem that I have been trying to correct for 6 months. I think I found the solution to that problem, but it also has an electrical problem. First the front driving lights wouldn't work, so I replaced both bulbs, cleaned the contacts, and seated the wires securely. Everything was just fine until my son was pulled over for no tailights, the instrument panel lights were also out. I heard that I needed a "relay switch". The headlights are also funky, the dimmers work just fine, but the bright lights have only one light on instead of the normal two. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My son has to drive my car to work at night so I'm stranded. I also need to know where the relay switch is and can I change it myself.
    That sounds like the combination switch to me. The aftermarket replacement switch is better than the factory replacement in my experience.
  • Hello, I am new to this board and I have a 1996 Grand Am SE with a 2.4L 4-cyl. engine. A few weeks ago my battery died while I went on a trip to the gas station. I got the car started, got back home, and replaced the battery shortly after. After doing so, the check engine light, ABS light, and ETS light would not go out. The ABS light was pretty random, but the ETS light and Check engine light always came on simultaneously. At first I wasn't worried, figured the lights were just acting up. Then the battery light came on, which was a sure sign to me that the alternator was going out. I promptly had the alternator replaced, and for about a week, everything was fine and dandy. But now, the check engine light and ETS off light are coming on together again. I am worried that this is a sign that the alternator or battery are having problems again. I have to take the car on a road trip soon, but I am scared she is gonna leave me stranded. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my car?
    Was the replacement alternator a new or a rebuilt one? Is it working, i.e. when the engine is running is the battery being charged (should be around 14VDC when under charge). I wouldn't take it anywhere until it's understood what the problem is. Depending on your use, it's feasible that a good battery could last several days without being recharged, so you may just be seeing the symptoms now.
    Also, on that engine and that year, you may want to check the tensioner pulley for the serpentine drive belt, after a lot of miles those tended to bind up and not put the right tension on the belt, which may cause it to slip over the alternator drive pulley and not run the alternator at full speed.
  • I replaced both rear power window motors and they work great. The front windows go down about 1/3 and there is a gear clicking noise. When they go up and reach the top there is also this noise. I don't want to put any more money into this 95 piece of ____. The drivers side window started randomly going up and down and couldn't be stopped without pressing the control button numerous times. I just got a new battery today and now the window doesn't have a mind of its own, but both still don't work properly. How can I resolve this problem?? I still don't have dash lights or tailights/parking lights. :lemon: :lemon:
  • ss3ss3 Posts: 4
    Did you find a soulution to the clicking noise? My son's car is still making the noise.
  • klimekklimek Posts: 2
    I Am still in the same boat. My car still has the blinker sound even when the blinker is not in use. :confuse: I would love any insight on this problem. Also My speedo lights have gone out so i cant see my speed at night. :sick: I value any help.
  • Check your tailights. When my instrument panel lights went out I also lost my parking lights and tailights. I went to a reputable mechanic today and he traced the problem back to the combination switch on the turn signal/headlight/cruise control shifter. good luck and if you find a reasonable solution please let me know. :sick:
  • 1. 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM
    2. Engine size 2.4 L4
    3. Transmission AUTOMATIC
    4. Mileage 160000
    5. Fuel Injection
    6. ABS brakes
    7. Cruise control CRUISE CONTROL, A/C, POWER STEERING

My 1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr 4cyl automatic transmission is messing up. When I open a door, bump in to it, turn it on or do anything that involves electricity the car lights start flashing and clicking and if I hadn't turned of my alarm horn it would beep sometimes. It will even start flashing when I come to a stop light, and the engine is still running. It does this every time! My pass lock light on the dash is constantly FLASHING. This all started happening a few months ago when I let my friend drive the car and the battery just died, I replaced the battery Did I completely mess it up and is there anyway to stop the flashing and clicking? It is driving me crazy. I have to turn my headlights on during the day so people will not think I stole the car. Is this my passlock? I can start my car every time and the passlock light is FLASHING not staying on constantly. Can I expect my car to stop starting any day? We tried to cut the yellow wire attached to the ignition but it didn’t do any thing because I can start it every time so I doubt it is my ignition/ignition sensor. Please help I don’t have the money or want to spend it on a dealer fixing it. I keep reading about installing a remote start to bypass the passlock but my car STARTS. What do I do?
  • :) It seems strange to reply to my own message, but I got the solution to my electrical problem, thanks to the combined info at this sight. I had to replace my battery first and then I replaced the combination switch which solved all of my electrical problems. I'm 63, female, and slightly mechanically inclined and I changed it myself by a few pictures and confusing instructions in a manual. :surprise: The only difficult part was the screw that hold the switch in place that is behind the steering wheel. Dumb GM would do something like that. I just used and allen wrench to get to it. The wet floor has also been fixed thanks to this sight. Now if I could just get the motor mounts fixed :confuse: :confuse:
    Thanks a million,
    Barb (by the way, barbs toy 99 is my little BMW convertible and not the Pontiac)
  • sfcp48sfcp48 Posts: 2
    My 2003 Grand AM power window buttons do not work on any of the doors. The main 4 buttons work on the drivers door and opens and closes all the windows on the passengers door. But none of the passengers windows will not work when any of the individual buttons are pressed on the doors. Need help on how to fix this problem, Thanks.
  • jkenjken Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 99 Grand Am for my son. The bright lights come on and are bright but, they shine real low to the ground. When on dim the lights look normal. The clear section of the headlights do look cloudy mostly on the upper section. Could this be the problem? These don't appear to be very cheap. Thank You.
    Is the window lock switch on the drivers window control panel in the wrong position?
    They aren't cheap. Try polishing the plastic lens with a good plastic polish like Novus. Many times the haze is on the outer surface only.
  • sfcp48sfcp48 Posts: 2
    No, none of the passengers windows work with the switch in either position
  • debi3debi3 Posts: 1
    My instrument panel is going crazy!!! I start the car and the gages do not work. a few miles down the road they will work and then a few miles later won't work. ?? this also effects the heater/ blower. Any ideas? Thank You.
  • I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand am and I don't know how to access the headlight assemlby so that I can change the buldb. Does anyone know how to do this ir where I can find some instructions? Thanks for your help.
    Possibly ignition switch.
    I would still suspect a problem in the drivers control panel lockout switch. It's just to coincidental that the windows all work from the drivers control but not from the individual controls. The switch could be broken, the wiring harness could be damaged or have a bad connection at the switch.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,332
    I would guess there is a problem with ground wire somewhere in cabin, that could cause intermitent failure