Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• frusurffrusurf Posts: 2
    I have a 99 grand am se. the car has been sitting for a few months so i think it acquired some gremlins. the problem is while driving, my interior lights, gauges turn off as if the car were off. then the srs and brake light come on then off. the actually head lights and taillights will be on still. shortly after the engine will just cut out. i have added fuel injector cleaner, new plugs, and new batt. seem to fix problem but then happened again even with the new batt. jumping gets it started sometimes but then shortly dies again. i even diconnected my amp from the battery to see if that was drawing power. help need my car. any one have any solutions???
  • rich61rich61 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 grand am that has a horn that does not work. the horn works when I use the remote entry but not when I hit the horn. My problem is that I can't figer out how to remove the airbag to get to the horn connections. any help out there
  • tina7814tina7814 Posts: 1
    While driving this morning all our warning lights in the dashboard came on, then started flashing and ticking. Then the gauges started flipping around and the car started to chug. Anyone know what that is? or what we can check? What it will cost to fix?
  • Hi. I own a 2002 Grand Am. When starting the vehicle, none of the dashboard/running lights come on. This does not always happen. Sometimes it comes on normally. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for them to light up. Lately, they have not come on at all, but eventually they do come on. Does anyone know the cause of this? My mechanic has switched some of the sensors around, and suggested it could be ignition switch or the computer? Help.
  • ezdreamaezdreama Posts: 1
    1997 GAGT check engine light stays off when the key is in the ignition(on position) and the engine is off. It is the only dashboard light that malfunctions and never comes on. I've heard some mechanics say that I may need to replace the entire dasboard lights cluster vs. a single bulb because of the cluster's design. I'm not convinced. Is anyone familiar with this issue, and is there a cost friendly solution to getting this (Malfunction Indicator Light)bulb to illuminate?

The related OBD trouble codes indicate P0141 (O2 sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2) and P0404 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation control circuit range)
  • minakominako Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you had any ideas how to fix our problem?
    My car has started to die on me now. I was told that it could be the fuel pump. It's in the shop now, so we'll see.
  • tantan Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Grand Am. The radio works fine but no time on the clock. I believe there is a wire or fuse that controls the clock separately from the radio so when the car is turned off the time keeps going. Anyone know which wire or fuse controls the clock. Also I have an extended GM warranty. Would the dealer fix it under the warranty?
  • jpraterjrjpraterjr Posts: 1
    Where the location of the body function or control module is located? How to solve the problem, of the dashboard running lights. Thanks
  • ginny13ginny13 Posts: 6
    My blinkers are doing that and they work when it is raining or cold and the airconditioning is doing the same thing you hit a bump and boom it comes on but not like it should , weak and intermittant.. wondering if i should get a new car and just let this expense go too.. would love to find out how much it would be to fix the signals .. :(
  • I found the problem re the dashboard lights. I had the ignition switch replaced and it solved the problem.
  • polly4112polly4112 Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE. Just recently the parking lights, tail lights, tag light and the gauge lights cut out but the headlights still work. I checked all of the fuses and none of them are blown. I tried playing around with the buttons and they still won't come on. They cut on every once in a while but usually cut right back off. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I went to all the local auto stores and they couldn't tell me what it was. I replaced all the fuses and light bulbs and they still are not working.
  • Has anyone had any problems with there check engine light? My 2000 grand am, it came on and I had it checked at Auto Zone and the code came back small leak in the emissions. So, they said chances are it's the gas cap. Replaced the cap and reset the light, and 3 weeks later it's back on again, and the code came up the same thing. Any ideas from anyone on what this could be? Thanks!!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Could be a leak somewhere else in the vapor recovery system if your getting the same code. You were putting on the cap tight enough until it clicks a few times, right?
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    3 clicks is usually good. Did the light come on shortly after re-fuel? New cap aftermarket that may not seal exactly right? Its my understanding that overfilling fuel tank (trying to get to exact dollar amount thing) may damage some evaporative systems. Is there a tether on cap that may be stuck underneath and preventing good seal? Mis-aligned cap? Just some thoughts on possibilities ;)
  • Thanks for your responses. I usually turn the gas cap till it clicks 3 times. Last time I fueled up was last Wednesday and didn't fill it, just about 3/4 of a tank. The light came back on Tuesday of this week.
  • My fog lamps doesn't work. Bulbs are fine. Fog lights switch inside the car doesn't light up. What could it be?
    Your high beams aren't on are they?
  • The high beams works fine
    Then the places I would look in this order:
    Fuse (if a seperate fuse, not sure)
    Fog Lamp switch (is it really working)
    Relay

I asked about the high beams since the factory wired fog lamps will go off when the high beams are turned on.