Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting Problems

Comments

• The fuses are still good, the switch doesn't light up (how do i check it. Is there a way to check the relay? I tried to pull it out but it won't come out
  • Dash lights no longer work. Only driver side window opens. Gas gauge doesn't work,etc. Mechanic has checked fuses, etc. and cannot give me an answer except to say it is an electrical problem.

Anyone have any ideas? :sick:
  • amiles1amiles1 Posts: 2
    I have a problem with my front driver and passenger power windows rear windows work fine. The driver and passenger window or intermittent may lose power and not roll up completely come back to car in maybe hour or two then will complete roll up think it might be the switch any one have any ideas
    please help
  • Any secrets out there to make installation of a new motor easy? Anyone have good instructions?
  • rm48021rm48021 Posts: 2
    Have you tried replacing the horn relay??
  • rm48021rm48021 Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Grand AM, and I have to replace the fuel pump relay. I have looked at a wiring diagram, and everything else on the circuit is good. Also there are no fault codes. Please HELP??????
  • I have a 1995 pontiac grand am. The running lights are all out, when i turn on the hazaards or brakes the lights work. But while its on they dont do anything. I am thinking it mught be a relay,but idont know if they have one. Does anyone know if it has one, if so where it is and how to replace it? if it doesnt have one what it could be?
  • I have a 2001 pontiac grand am that doesn't have any turn signals or emergency flashers, and the remote door opener doesn't work. Plus I have body control module light on and occasionally trac off light that comes on. I have not been able to find the flashers under the dash and am not sure what to do.
  • #2496 of 2496 Grand Am Rear Turn Signal Lights by dp5010 Sep 27, 2007 (7:35 am)
    My 2000 Grand Am V6 SE has Rear Turn Signal problems. When the blinker started blinking too fast, I removed the rear tail light covers thinking I would have to replace blown bulbs. Turns out the bulbs are okay but the housing/slots the bulbs fit in have melted and deformed and I either loose the connection or the heat also deformed the base of the bulb.

Has anyone else experinced this problem. Dealer says he has never heard of this (yeah right!). Pontiac has refused to review the problem unless it comes from the dealer who wants $'s to look at it and diagnose.

Do I have to replace the bulb holder? What does that cost?
  • Please help! My 2004 Grand Am GT has had this problem back in Sept 2005 when I bought it. The mechanic replaced the switch and it worked until now. I am 8 months pregnant and signaled to turn and the darn thing failed again and I was almost rear ended. I looked at the old invoice and I paid $200 and my warranty paid the rest (I just bought it used) now I called the mechanic and he said it would be $700 to replace! OMG.....what do I do now? Should I go to a dealership and see what they say?

The turn signal's and hazzard does not work at all. This is very dangerous for anyone not just me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Also the inside trunk button has not worked since I bought it either and I can not figure this one out.
  • Hello

I have a 2000 Grand Am with a power window problem. Any window will stop working for a period of time (usually 1-2 days)and then start working again. It floats from window to window which leads me to believe it is nothing to do with internals of the door. Major problem when it is drivers window trying to pay tolls or any type drive thru. I also have had the security light problem since I purchased the vehicle. After it finally would not reset, dealership replaced the ignition switch and all was fine for aprox 6 mos. Brought it back and I was told it was a defective switch and it was changed again. 14 months later, light is on ALWAYS and flashes every 10-15 starts and needs the 10 min reset fix. 14 months and dealership says "past work warranty of 12 months".

Any Idea how to fix the Window and is this somehow related to passlock security problem?

Bluesdog
  • Hello!
    I have a 2004 Grand Am, And I have a constant blinking noise after the turn signal is released. I would appreciate any HELP fixing this. Can you tell me how to get the dash off to get to the problem if you know what the problem is? Thanks.
  • Hello, I have a 04 Grand am that does the same thing, Did you figure out the problem? Any help greatly appreciated.
  • Grease seeps from inside the multifunction switch and shorts the terminals. To fix, remove the 3 screws under the column and remove the top cover in front of the steering wheel. Remove the wiring connectors and the one screw that holds the switch in place. Clean the grease out with a Q-tip. When reinstalling, make sure you push the pin in that rides on the back of the steering wheel (it's easy), then assemble in the reverse order of the dissassembly.
  • Grease seeps from inside the multifunction switch and shorts the terminals. To fix, remove the 3 screws under the column and remove the top cover in front of the steering wheel. Remove the wiring connectors and the one screw that holds the switch in place. Clean the grease out with a Q-tip. When reinstalling, make sure you push the pin in that rides on the back of the steering wheel (it's easy), then assemble in the reverse order of the dissassembly.
  • I have had this car for a little over a year now and the only problems I am having is, one, every now and then the security light will come on and will start blinking, when this happens i can not start the car...2, not too bad...but very annoying, when I use the blinkers the light will turn off when its supposed to, but the sound keeps going for a while. Any help with this would be great!! Thank you!!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Go over and read through the security passlock problem area in this forum.
  • I have a 2003 pontiac grand am and I put a new radio in it and could not start the car. I wired it to the fuse box and now it wont start. Also, I found out my blinker will stay on after I turn off my blinkers, there is a clicking noise that sounds like its comeing from behind the radio. HELP PLEASE!!!! b_mcm2007yahoo.com
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    I have a 2003 pontiac grand am and I put a new radio in it and could not start the car. I wired it to the fuse box and now it wont start. Also, I found out my blinker will stay on after I turn off my blinkers, there is a clicking noise that sounds like its comeing from behind the radio. HELP PLEASE!!!! b_mcm2007yahoo.com

You probably connected the new radio incorrectly and cause the battery to drain down. The new radio, is this an aftermarket radio or another Pontiac radio? Normally, you could find vehicle connector adapter between any GM vehicle and an aftermarket radio at Circuit City or may be Best Buy. The vehicle connector adapter costs you $ 10-15. So you do not have to connect to the fuse box.

Any radio needs :12 BATTERY, GROUND and IGNITION wire to function.12 V BATTERY and GROUND to power the radio. The IGNITION wire is important and should be connected to the vehicle original radio connector. It tells the radio to go to sleep when you turn off the car (IGNITION off). After that the radio will draw very little juice. Otherwise, if the radio does not go to sleep, it only takes 1-2 days to kill the car battery.

jt
  • The sunroof on my 99 grand am gt will only open a little bit and then stop. Sometimes it opens the entire way, but that is rare can anyone tell me the possible problem