Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Questions

Comments

• I've read in a few articles that Toyotas goal is for the traction battery to last the life of the car - typically 15 years or 200K miles.
  • My car is one week old. Going back to the subject of drained batteries if car is not put to "P". I cannot get the key out unless I press the Power button. When I press the power button the gears switch goes into "P" position. Overall it must mean that the "P" gear problem is effectively solved unless you leave your keys in the car...
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    :confuse:

"you cannot get the keys out" of what? :confuse:
  • Oh, come on! I would not stick the car key into my pocket to drive! So what I said HAD TO BE getting the keys out from the car key-socket... Was it so difficult to understant?
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    So you mean the "car key socket" in the car door?
  • Oh, come on! I would not stick the car key into my pocket to drive! So what I said HAD TO BE getting the keys out from the car key-socket...

We're a bit confused. The only "key" that the Camry Hybrid has is a little bitty stick of metal that's used to open the driver's door and/or trunk in the event the SmartKey fob fails. There is no physical keyhole or key-socket inside the car anywhere. No physical key is used to start the car or to turn it off, just the Power button.

Thus many Camry Hybrid drivers DO stick the car "key" (i.e., the SmartKey fob) into their pocket to drive. I keep mine in my purse and never have to take it out.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    Was it so difficult to understant?

I started to ask the same question. Now that you've answered it I still don't know what you're saying

Oh, come on! I would not stick the car key into my pocket to drive!

Uhh, that's where I keep mine when I'm driving.
  • psepse Posts: 14
    I am just as confused as everyone else about what is being said. What exactly is the car/keys problem and what are you pulling the ket out of (the fob or the car)?
    I also keep the keys in my pocket when I drive.
  • It happened to me too, today : Left the car at a parking lot, the parking attendant told me he knew how to handle a hybrid. I was back within 2 hours, to find the traction battery almost depleted. I guess the attendant pushed the POWER button before shifting into PARK.

From now on, I will keep printed instructions in the glove box, to put them on the instrument lens when I leave the car, and I will also make sure the radio is ON (it stays ON if you push the POWER button before shifting to PARK).
  • Do you drive a Toyota Camry Hybrid (a.k.a. TCH) ?
  • I don't think he does to see his post, may be a troll lol
  • Sorry if I had confused anyone but I was talking about Toyota Prius T Spirit.
  • Gee, I guess that really was pretty hard to understand. It was certainly difficult for you to explain
  • toyolla2toyolla2 Posts: 158
    Then DROID13, there must be two DC/DC converters.

1. The high voltage Totem pole Up/Down converter which raises the HV battery pack voltage to the main HV bus up to 650v max. from its low of 244volts while accelerating ( something to do with maintaining volts/Hz)with MG2. And then while decelerating must lower the HV bus voltage to the HV battery pack voltage to enable it to absorb the recaptured energy.

And then there must be this other converter that gillesmtl was referring to earlier.

2. A bidirectional converter which allows power to be exchanged between the 12 volt accessory battery and the HV battery pack. This must be about the schematic I saw on the ANL goverment site which shows how the galvanic seperation for the two battery systems is attained. Until now I didn't know which car this was intended for. I'm pretty sure the Gen 1 Prius does not have this. Anyway for those interested they use two H-bridges connected via a high frequency step up transformer. Obviously only one bridge can be enabled at any one time.

So the sequence must be that during boosting of a discharged 12volt system, the low voltage H-bridge must turn on thus charging the HV pack which in turn precharges the HV bus enabling MG1 and it's inverter to start the engine.
    Though it does sound dumb that any drain on the 12volt will cause a domino effect to the loss of the HV battery as well. This is a repeat of the old adage "computers are dumber than people but smarter than programmers" !

And then you have to hit the START switch to shutdown properly. Now who else in their right mind would expect you to do a thing like that. Alright, who else besides Bill Gates then ?

T2
  • Got my camry hybrid end of Nov 2006--drove it home, did not drive for 2 days--next day it would not start. Jump started took to dealer--they said 12 volt battery was depleted (probably while in lot)--recharged. Okay for 2 weeks--then went away for 7 days--came back battery dead-jump started, drove a day a few short trips. Next day battery dead--jump started, and charged it for several hours. Now on 4th day of successful starting. The manual says battery depletes after 14 days of non use--to go after 7 days seems excessive. My old 1994 camry went two months without being used and started just fine. Frankly if this is the intended design of the car it is not a good second car or a good car for people who frequently travel. Is this supposed to happen or do I have a bad battery? At this rate the car will have to be plugged in all the time.
  • dogzendogzen Posts: 3
    Sounds like you have a bad battery. We went to Japan for 10 days and had no problem starting the car after that.
  • Bad battery sounds like a good suspicion, I hope this is it and I really do not have to jump start it every few days--hopefully my dealer will agree to replace it. So far when people ask me how I like my camry hybrid I tell them it is great except for the fact it is useless for people who travel alot leaving their car at home.
  • I actually have a regular (non-Hybrid) 2007 Camry LE and I went on vacation for two weeks. When I came back the battery was drained. I always turn off my headlights and if I don't the car automatically turns them off after half an hour. My car was definitely off (I don't have the fancy keyless driving feature) and all the doors were shut properly so the cabin light was off (which also turns off automatically after a while). When I called Boch Toyota they said that new cars weren't meant to be left alone for too long and that it was normal for the battery to discharge if left alone for 3 to 4 days; the cars have to be started every three days. Sounds like a hassle to me... might have been better off buying an old used car.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    >>>When I called Boch Toyota they said . . . . . that it was normal for the battery to discharge if left alone for 3 to 4 days; the cars have to be started every three days.

It's hard to believe any dealer would say something so foolish. It's nonsense. If true, millions of cars left at home while families go on vacations--by plane or another car--would return to find all their car batteries dead. Needless to say, this isn't happening.

Your problem was likely caused by a defective battery, or an electrical drain of some kind, or possibly your battery was at low charge when you left for some other reason.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Is that Boch Toyota in Mass.? Anyway, that is a typical "BRUSH THIS GUY OFF" answer. The least that should be done is a check for power drain, and a check of the battery itself. If it were me, I would be at the service desk, looking for the servive manager, armed with the itiotic answer I got from one of his employes, and wanting to know what he was going to do about it. JMHO.