Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Questions

Comments

• acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Sory ebout the bed spalling in my lest past................LOL
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    I agree NO car should be drained down after a month sitting. I have had PU trucks that I left for six months and cranked right up. I would be thumpin' on some heads at a dealership that tried to pull that kind of shenanigans. The Hybrids do have that severe flaw that they will drain down the battery after a couple weeks. I guess Toyota does not know how to design a battery cutoff circuit.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "I agree NO car should be drained down after a month sitting. I have had PU trucks that I left for six months and cranked right up. "

Odd this should come up; I just saw an article on how new cars need to be run more often because some of their electronics have a small current draw. Apparently it is due to the way the auto companies are designing their computer subsystems.

Most older cars are not affected because their electronics do not draw current unless the car ignition is on.

Sorry, I can't remember where I saw the story, it was either on excite or reuters sites.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    We are talking 3 or 4 days here. The OP was told that it was normal for the battery to go dead after 3 or 4 days. That is rediculas,,,that person should be talked to by the agency, he represents them and is doing a lousy job of it.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I believe this may be discussed in the owners manual. which by the way can answer a lot of questions I see on this board.

I was thinking it was "suggested" that the car be started every two weeks.
  • yes it is Boch Toyota in Mass. 277 Boston Providence Highway, Norwood. Yup, brought the car in to get looked at. When I asked them how much current was being drawn from the battery, they said 2 volts. I told them current was measured in amps but they insisted it was the same. The fact that they didn't know current from voltage makes me not want them to touch my car.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    I recently left my TCH for 2 weeks. It started right back up again. Brakes squeaked for the first few applications, after that it was normal.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Unless the guy who works on cars is the same guy who stands behind the customer service counter, I wouldn't worry too much about the mix-up between volts and amps. Like most car salesmen, service writers and mostly about selling. The policy seems to be, the less they know the better. :)
  • pat85pat85 Posts: 90
    yes it is Boch Toyota in Mass. 277 Boston Providence Highway, Norwood. Yup, brought the car in to get looked at. When I asked them how much current was being drawn from the battery, they said 2 volts. I told them current was measured in amps but they insisted it was the same. The fact that they didn't know current from voltage makes me not want them to touch my car.

IMHO the person who told you that should be fired.
  • rich07rich07 Posts: 2
    Just finished reading most of these battery Q&A and have learned a lot. I thought I was up to date?

My 2007 TCH was rear ended by an 18 wheeler and pushing us into a car in front of us, crushing the trunk lid up to the rear window almost. My problem is that due to some insurance problems the car is still is in our driveway and the Hybrid Batt is now at 1/5th. I disconnect the trunk light but the airbag lights are still on.

The adjusters estimate shows the following (which I think many might find interesting) "HYBRID VEHICLE:BATTERY IS TEMP SENSITIVE, DO NOT CURE PAINT, AIR DRY OVERNIGHT SHOP MUST CHECK BATTERY CHARGE TO PREVENT DISCHARGE THAT MAY REQUIRE REPLACEMENT" Well, I can see the chances of this happening is almost a certain.

Any comments or cautions would be appreciated. I just love this car.
  • deflardeflar Posts: 2
    I took my 2007 Camry hybrid to the dealer after a bunch of warning lights came on indicating" check hybrid system" The result , per the dealer , a stone pierced the inverter cooler allowing coolant to escape. Damage $770 +, it gets worse, if the inverted overheated and doesn't function properly it's thousands$$ more. I have an extended warranty which, per the dealer, does not cover this incident. Is it me or why would this crital part be exposed to damage or does it sound fishy?
  • talmy1talmy1 Posts: 55
    I think the situation is the same as if the stone hits and breaks your windshield. Check your Comprehensive auto insurance policy. It isn't a warranty issue.
  • I have a '07 TCH with 65K on it. It will be 3 years old next spring. Generally, in TX it is a good idea to "pro-actively" replace batteries every 3 yrs because of the heat. 1) Will this battery last longer because it doesn't have to provide cranking amps? 2) I can't find any replacement for the specialized Panasonic battery with voltage (?) probe on the internet. Is anybody aware of one. The access is easy. 3) Finally, are there any special precautions necessary for replacing the low voltage battery on a hybrid?
  • has anyone got a price from dealer to replace the batteries for the hybrid system? and how long before they need replacement?
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Posts: 194
    I don't get a price on an item that I don't need to purchase. Overall, the traction batteries are warranted for 7-10years depending where you live.

Right now all we have is experiences from Prius owners and while there may have been a bad battery here and there, there doesn't seem to be any talk of batteries failing with age. The Prius taxis owners put 300-400k on their cabs before replacing the car and they have not had any battery failures, nor have they worn out their battery packs.
  • pat85pat85 Posts: 90
    Batteries have a nominal Voltage. Say 12 Volts DC for the car battery used for starting the engine. With no load, it has 12 volts potential. It should not discharge unless there is something wrong with the battery or there is a load like lights left on.
    When a load is applied , like the starter motor, for example, 2 things happen. First, Current flows through the starter, Current is measured in Amps.
    The second thing that may happen, depending on temperature, battery capacity, and how long you crank the starter motor, the internal resistance of the 12 Volt battery will increase. The current flowing through this internal resistance will cause the voltage to drop slightly from the current flowing through it. So the output voltage may drop to a nominal 11 Volts.
    Power is Volts times Amps. The power necessary to run the starter will be the same. At a lower voltage, more Amps are necessary. This is why batteries can only crank a certain amount. After awhile of not cranking the starter , batteries seem to recover a little with no charging. This is due to the internal resistance going back to its original state.
    Does that help ?
  • Hello fellow TCH'ers.
    I love this car!!! I have a minor question.
    I have never observed the main battrey fully charged - always one or two bars less than full. Is that normal?
    I have a 2009 TCH which has about 69,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
    A :)
    Yes, perfectly normal. The TCH tries to keep the battery between 20-80% of full charge to try to maximize the lifespan of the battery pack.
  • I am considering buying a used 2007 TCH. Test drove and saw some funny things. After starting engine, simply activating NAV triggered gas engine to turn on...is it normal for gas engine to come on while idling in parked position?....I looked at battery status and battery gauge was barely above the midpoint (60%?)....Is this normal? Is this battery damaged due to extensive inactivity? Is this a reason to be concerned about buying this car?

GR
    The hybrid drivetrain is a bit different but it does have a method to its madness...

The engine did not come on because you turned on the nav, but rather because it had been ~7 seconds after you pressed the Start button. That delay will be skipped if a) the battery charge is low, or b) the outside temperature is very low.

The battery gauge just reflects the current charge of the traction battery. If you drive the car in electric mode for the last mile or so before parking it the traction battery will be down and stay that way until the engine is running again to recharge it. So finding the car with a 60% charge does not indicate any issues with the battery, just that it was somewhat depleted before being turned off.

The battery pack has a long warranty so you should not have to worry about the battery at all from a financial perspective. How long has this TCH been 'inactive'?