Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highlander Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
This is the place to discuss changes and add-ons for your Highlander Hybrid.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• My dealer said that running boards were not available on the 4X4. I see that several posters here have them on their four wheel drives. Any comments?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Running boards are not a Factory installed option, but are available as either a PPO (post production option) or dealer installed option.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • nsxwesnsxwes Posts: 84
    I had running boards installed at the port prior to delivery to the dealer. The running boards appear on the window sticker. I have a 4WDi Limited. The price was $650.

Wes
  • Thanks, I'll talk to the dealer
  • Thanks Wes. I'll try to find out what the discrepancy is all about.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Posts: 49
    So, has anyone determined whether there really is a tire pressur monitor, and does it give a readout per tire, or is it an "idiot light" that signals one tire is low?
  • tsotsitsotsi Posts: 98
    My understanding is that the Highlander tire pressure monitor is just another application of the wheel speed monitors that are also used for anti-lock brakes and stability control. The system is reset with the pressures at spec and after that any change in speed of one wheel relative to the others triggers the system. I think it is more useful as a warning system for an impending flat tire than as a tire pressure monitor. If you stick an unworn spare tire on one corner and the other three tires are worn it will probably trigger the system. It will have to be reset to accept the unequal wear.
  • fizbanfizban Posts: 42
    The system is reset with the pressures at spec and after that any change in speed of one wheel relative to the others triggers the system.

What happens when the system is "triggered"? Does the driver get an indication something's wrong?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    Toyota uses two different systems to monitor tire pressure for the "low tire pressure warning" indicator for the vehicle. The 4-Runner and the HH for example actually have sensors built into the valve stems and they send a signal when any/all of the tires are below a specified threshold (I am still working on finding out the specifics on what that is) and it also includes the spare tire, which caused some confusion for a while when they switched over to this system. The RAV-4, on the otherhand uses the ABS sensors to sense a tire that has a smaller turning diamater than it's peers. One way to tell the difference in the systems is to look at the valve stems. On the vehicles with the sensors vs. the ABS unit, they have a large, silver valve stem vs. the normal black rubber ones that you normally see.

Hope this helps.

Toyota Ken
  • tsotsitsotsi Posts: 98
    On my Highlander, a tire pressure warning light is supposed to go on. It hasn't happened to me yet, so I am not sure it actually works. Just out of curiosity I searched for the reset button and found it very low on the panel below the steering wheel. I had to get down on my knees with the door open to spot it.
  • I've got three kids, and I'd like to be able to fit them all in the second row sometimes. I do have the 3rd row seat for most trips. Can anyone recommend a good booster seat that is also small enough to fit three across in the HH?
  • Really, I don't know that the third row seat is large enough for three children with boosters. It's a fairly narrow seat. You may be able to fit two.
  • I think s/he said the 2nd row (there's no way to get three anything in the 3rd row). I have three $20 bosters (from ToysRus on our 2nd row. But I carpool with other kids at our school and I've had to put other models in there and they all seem to fit (though it is tight).
  • cdptrapcdptrap Posts: 485
    We regularly shuttle 5 children of varying ages (5-7.5) around. The kids all bring different brands of boosters and they all fit nicely in the second row. We put only 2 in the 3-rd row for safety reasons.
  • Sure enough. Sorry about that. I'm getting my 2nds and 3s mixed up. :blush:
  • Just got my Limited AWD HH last Thursday. LOVE it! :)
    I now want to invest in a BRA or a front deflecter. Looking for people who have had one or the other.
    Also, need to put a 2" receiver on it. Should I go with Toyota, Uhaul, ???
    Third, and last, I need to put a dog barrier in. Any recommendations on models that will work with the 3rd row folded flat? Or should I just go to PetSmart and get the $60 special?
    Thanks!!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I dont recommend the vinyl bra for any car.. they vibrate in the wind as you drive and wear the paint. A plastic hood protector does just the same function without impinging on the integrity of the paint.

A new product out is a 'clear' bra by 3M... it's like what Toyota has on the bottom of your vehicle near the wheels as a stone shield. You can also have it put on the leading side of your mirrors.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    Go with the Toyota hitch. It's more $$ but the wiring and everything does not have to be 'cobbled' to fit or look good.. I've seen the Drawtite hitch on some and it looks out of place so I went with the Toyota and couldn't be happier. I also have the front bug deflector. I don't like the bras as they tend to wear on the paint and in some cases (dirty/sand conditions) ruin the pain if your not careful.
  • Also, has anyone installed a cargo net on their HH? I don't see where the top loops would go.
    Here's a pic of the net
    but I don't have anything like that plastic handle in the back of my car.
    But I find many Toyota sites and the brochures saying this model net (pictured) is compatible with the HH.
  • jslatejslate Posts: 25
    Isn't that a hook just above the handle? If I remember right, my car has something like a hook in that location, too.

Jim
  • I've got a lower hook but nothing remotely like the handle and two hooks above. In fact, there's no logical place to attach a net.
  • mmreidmmreid Posts: 88
    I had a cargo net in my Acura CL and loved it. When I bought the HH in Nashville, the dealer said the HH didn't come with one but he'd give me one free. But because of needing to get home to Florida that night, the dealership didn't have time to install it. When I got home I called my local Toyota place and they made an appointment to install it for me. Cost me $36 which I think would have been free if I'd had time to wait in Nashville that day from the dealer I bought it from.

Anyway, the point is that you can't just install it - they had to drill holes. My husband might have been able to do it but after just having paid $40,000 for a vehicle, I didn't want to run the risk of the hole not being drilled in the correct spot. The most interesting part of the installation was the response of the service department - my HH was the very first one they'd ever seen there! This was back in June.

I love my cargo net because it acts as a barrier to keep stuff from rolling around. I actually like the way this one works better than the one in my Acura. It's not always used - but it is easy to take off or put back on. As the main person who gets the groceries and runs the majority of errands in our house, it's a definite good thing to have. But I would definitely have the dealership drill the holes - if someone is putting holes in your vehicle, let them be the ones liable!

mmreid
  • jslatejslate Posts: 25

This is what mine looks like. It is a Limited version, and came with the net, so don't know if it was added on at the dealer or what. I've never actually used it, yet.

Jim
  • Hey thanks for the photo - whats that burning cigarette doing behind the belt buckle? :-). That black hook must be drilled in after. I've got the LTD, too, loaded. But service must go and drill for that. Just north of it is a cover for a screw and that seems a better place. But it's all too far back for me. I'll send a photo of what I've done and it give me more space. I hate these hatches that open UP. It's useless. My old Runner and the new Landcruisers have tailgates that are so useful for many things but also stop cargo falling out. Whenever you open the hatch it's like a jack-in-the-box of stuff tumbling down.
  • I agree, these tailgates do allow cargo to sometimes fall out when opening. However, it's great in bad weather. I've been to rainy football/soccer games, and it's great being able to sit and watch under the hatch. It also gives you more time to sort through your cargo before unloading.
  • You can have the glass half hatch up for this but the tail must go down . . . or stay where it is. With a tail, you can leave it up and reach over and grab stuff out.

Who's every heard of a hatchback party? :-)
  • Alright, now I'm really confused. I was under the impression that the back glass is fixed. ie. it does not flip open or go up and down like my ForeRunner.
  • Hi nimhrod,
    You are right, the rear hatch window is fixed. I think Gaz was jesting :-).
    -d
  • sorry for confusion. i was replying to previous poster and we were discussing the merits of hatchbacks and tailgates. i wasn't saying that the hh can do this. i was saying the way things 'should' be.
  • Interesting mods offered by Toyota in Japan for the HiHy. It would be nice if they made them available here.

http://toyota.jp/klugerhybrid/dop/package/index.html

What appearance and accessory additions and/or changes have folks made on their HiHy? Now that I had mine for a month now, wondering what options are out there?