Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson Real World MPG

Comments

• I really hope you will post your results if you modify your vehicle. We may all want instructions!

I am getting 23-24 mpg on mostly highway miles. At the price of gas, we can all use improved performance.
    ;)
  • I have a 2007 Tuscon with the 4 cylinder engine. My commute to work is about 3.5 miles. When I just go to work and do not do any highway driving, I get 17-19 mpg. I had a 97 crv that got 23-25 for the same distance, I have take a 125 mile trip and I got 21.7 on the hwy with the Tuscon. I am heading to Maryland next week and will drive about 700 miles. I will repost my results. Other than the gas mileage, I really do like this car. :shades:
  • I purchased a new 07 Tucson in June 07. I normally avg about 335 miles to a tank full of gas. My avg mpg on the highway has topped at about 22 mpg on the highway. I have been so impressed with the vehicle (the way it drives, the comfort) but have seriously considered trading or selling it due to the poor gas mileage. I have the 4 cylinder model and it is depressing. This thing reminds me of huge Olds I drove back in the late 70's.....it never could make it past a gas station without needing a fill-up.
    LOOK very closely if its comfort you want.....if not, pass on the Tucson....it wont deliver the MPG unless you have deep pockets ! It LOVES gas !!
  • Well i'm in the same boat as tusconstar above, but i've had my tucson for over a year. I get worse gas mileage (v6, awd, cold climate) but i felt it was ok since the truck is really quite comfortable and nice to drive. But things have started going wrong with my 1 year old tucson and the dealership is a royal pain in the butt to deal with. So this weekend i started shopping around, unfortunately it looks like after a year of driving the vehicle has depreciated by $10,000.

I'm looking at the 2009 toyota matrix, hopefully it will be greener pastures.
  • bwaller78bwaller78 Posts: 23
    I traded in my 2006 tucson for the mileage issue and gas prices these days. I just made a trip of over 500 miles and averaged 36 mpg on the trip and got 40.26mpg in a 285 mile leg of the trip. I really liked my tucson but I am glad I got the 2007 elantra for the mileage that im getting. :)
  • greatcarsgreatcars Posts: 66
    Haven't calculated that for a long time. But mine (05 v6 GLS FWD) had only around 20 mpg after 5000 mileage. It sucks and won't buy any more Hyundai.
  • brit5brit5 Posts: 12
    I recently drove across Canada from Kingston Ontario to Vancouver BC in a brand new Tucson GL 4cyl auto 2wd. The vehicle was found to be very comfortable (great seats), quiet, has good driving dynamics & excellent brakes. I found 4 things that I disliked -- just-adequate power, racous engine at full throttle, slightly odd accelerator position & poor fuel economy. The vehicle load was 450 - 500 lbs including passengers & we cruised at the highest tolerable speed that policing would ignore (10 - 20 kph above the posted limit).

We did not drive with economy as a priority, but neither did we try to beat the hell out of the car. We simply drove as circumstances required to get "there" from "here". The absolute best milage we noted was right on 25 MPG (Imp gal. --- about 21 MPG US gal), with 22 - 23 being more common & less than 20 as we ground our way through the rockies. My Chrysler 300C is better than that & my 3.2 L Chrysler Concord is a bunch better!! We didn't notice any particular improvement in performance or economy as the trip progressed over the 5000 km total, so I'm not convinced that break-in is an issue.

There is ample cruise power at any sane speed, but passing on 2-lane roads requires planning & care. While it climbed the mountains without becoming a mobile road block (1 vehicle passed us in the Kootenay Pass), it sure worked hard at continuous full throttle in 3rd gear for many km in the passes. We were able to maintain at least 80 kph (50 mph) in all passes, except for 2 brief drops back to 70 kph at the 2 steepest points in the mountains.

I came away from the trip with considerable respect for the beast & I am considering buying a 6 cyl Tucson to replace my Concord which is nearing the end of its economically viable life. However, with gasoline at >$1.30/L I might buy a used 300C for the same price -- it's cheaper to run than the Tucson.
  • My 2007 Hyundai Tucson, which I bought new, is only six months old. I only have 1800 miles on the car and drive mostly in town. The literature estimates 22 mpg for city driving. My car is getting a deplorable 12 mpg. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    1800 miles in six months???!!!

The problem is that your engine is probably never getting to full operating temperature, and as such is running rich. May I suggest an oil change first, because I would bet you have fuel in the oil by now. Then, at least once a week, get the thing out on the road and cruise above 50MPH for at least 30 minutes. What you are doing will not only cause the car to get miserable gas mileage, you will shorten the life of the engine by constantly running it cold and with a rich fuel mixture.

Another point is that your engine will need at least 6000 miles on it to fully "break it in". After that point you should see your gas mileage steadily increase.

I really don't mean to sound rude, but NO CAR will get decent mileage if only driven for short trips at in-town speeds.
  • ulltronulltron Posts: 10
    Your vehicle is still in the break inn period. You will not see normal milage until about 5000 to 10000 miles. My 2007 Tucson V6 is getting 21 to 22 mpg regularly in the city and 24mpg highway and has 9000 miles on it. Be aware that it you frequently use hard exceleration on these vehicles, the milage will plumet quickly.
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    I'm seriously considering getting a new Tucson 4cyl AT 2wd, can someone comment on the gas mileage of this vehicle and also, does it have enough power (trying to avoid the V6 for better fuel economy).
    thanks!
  • smartsallysmartsally Posts: 9
    I have a 2007 Tucson, 4 cyl front wheel drive and am getting 23/24 mile per gallon consistently. I drive a combination of highway and city and most of the roads are pretty flat. I have all the power I need. I do have to push the pedal down some if I want some quick acceleration and it is a noticeable difference than a 6 cylinder. But my husband was surprised by its power when he first drove it. I am very happy with the vehicle.
  • sjfranksjfrank Posts: 1
    Hello:

I got a 2007 Tucson V6 in Nov. 2007 and have about 16K miles on it now. The MPG has never been better than 15 mpg. My wife usually drives it local so I understand the "city" range, though 15 is terrible. Is this common? Any ideas to boost it?

Thanks.

Steve
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,416
    The first thing I'd recommend is to make sure you have the basics covered - the smart driving part of the equation may be the biggest factor.

We Test the Tips - What Really Saves Gas? And How Much?

We Test the Tips Part II - Save Gas with Smart Driving and Slick Aerodynamics

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I also have the 2007 Tucson with V6 and about 15,000 miles. I'm getting 20.5 mpg driving normally with mostly city driving and about 22 mpg if I manual shift. When manually shifting, I start off in 2nd gear, shift to 3rd as soon as it will just over 20 mph, and 4th as soon as it will at around 40 mph. I still drive about 5 over the speed limit but try to anticipate stops and down shift to help break the vehicle. Since I live near the coast, it is very flat here and my city commute is not bad. Mileage will drop quickly with heavy stop and go driving and/or hard acceration I'm getting around 25 mpg highway driving around 70 mph. Highway mileage is a little better driving at 60 and gets worse driving faster then 70. I'm very satisfied with my Tucson performance and I think the mpg is what you can expect for a small truck with V6 gasoline engine.
  • mikdeemikdee Posts: 27
    To All here, IMO, There are 2 issues with the Tucson.
    1) Is the ESP (elect. stabilization. program), that applies the brakes independently, & invisibly, of the driver, at any, or all speeds, & conditions, as it sees fit, that is killing the gas milage, but I can't prove it. I believe it still is engaged somewhat even though I shut it off each time I remember, and gain 1 or more mpg. Just think soon this gas hogging device will be on every car, I like to drive my own car, not have it governed by a robot! :(

2) Is the AWD system designed by Borg-Warner, I think there is some unecessary drag incorporated in this! The earlier (Porsche/Audi) 4WD design (Stereur/Puch) used on the early (1st generation design) Santa Fe's like the 2002 model I had, worked fine, and I believe had less drag, because the gas milage was always better on my Santa Fe, then the Tucson could ever do, with both having the same 2.7 V6 engine.

So this is your 2nd gas hog.
  • I have 22,400 miles on my tucson 2WD and according to my trip computer I get 20.5 MPG.
    I think that kinda stinks. even though I am a conservative driver I do live in a cold climate and do a lot of stop and go driving, very little highway.
  • contentcontent Posts: 6
    I have 30,000miles on my 2007 v6 4wd tucson now. i drive in town, short trips mostly (< 10miles) and i average 16.5mpg.

My solution is to drive my 1998 honda crv has 160,000miles on it and still gets 20 mpg doing the same driving.

I looked at trading in the tucson, but what the person posted above about how much more it actually costs per year in gas for the tucson and what a rav4 or crv would cost is exactly why i didn't trade it in. Unfortunately i've had my fair share of built on a friday problems and my hyundai dealer's service is terrible so i won't be buying another hyundai.
    the 2010 tucson is mated with a 6 speed A/T and rated at 23mpg city and 26 combined. anyone with real world figures ?

I assume you have the V6 engine. I have about the same miles on my Tucson and I am also getting about the same mileage with mostly city driving. I consider this about normal mileage for a small inexpensive SUV with V6 4 speed auto transmission. I have had zero defect with mine and the Tucson is better then most SUVs I checked before buying for these reasons: full size spare stored inside (not on rear door or under frame), rear seats go flat with push of button, many extras included at no extra charge, least expensive full featured SUV, and very comfortable. This has been a much better vehicle for me then the Volvo V40 I had before that cost me $8000 more, was no where near as comfortable, had many issues, and had high maintenance costs. I guess it is the glass half full or half empty deal. WWW.fueleconomy.com lists the 2007 Tucson at 18 mpg city and the Honda CRV at 20 mpg city. I like Honda but it cost a lot more. If you drive the Tucson for 100,000, it will use 555 gallons more then the CRV costing you $1,665 more in fuel costs (at $3/gallon). The CRV costs about $6000 more to purchase then the Tucson. Even after 100,000 miles the Tucson is still $4,345 cheaper.
  • suetalksuetalk Posts: 12
    I also have the 2010. I get about 21-22 city and 26 highway. I'm averaging about 24 mpg. I have had 28 mpg on a roadtrip with little or no city driving. Window sticker is 23 city and 31 hwy. They are just plain lying about the 31 mpg. If you get about combined you are doing well. I'm about 25 and I'm fine with that.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    I just purchased a 2010 Tuscon Ltd. and city highway so far is 24 to 25/gallon. I read in another forum that once you hit about 2000 miles on the new ones, the gas mileage does increase.
  • I purchased a 2010 Tucson base model with the 2.4 engine and 6 speed auto. I have 6500 miles on it since June 1st. Do mostly city driving and easily get 24/25 mpg without trying. Have gotten 31 on highway loaded with 4 large adults and vacation luggage. Had great passing exceleration and high speed driving. Comfort a plus with roomy interior and no back aches with the lumbar support in seats. Handles great with small turning area needed. I love this vehicle! great price, great comfort good millage for vehicle size and weight.
  • I have a 2005 Tuscon and am getting over 21 mpg city. They did a recall on my car soon after I bought it and adjusted the esp sensor. The mileage went up after. It's hard to prove, but I know that was causing the low mpg at the beginning.
    edited October 2010
    i have a Rondo 2.4L which has similar EPA rating as the 2.0L Tucson, in the city, according to the trip computer, the first mile (from a cold engine) gets about 12mpg, as the engine warms up, the overall FE will improve to around 21mpg after 5 miles. if you only drive short distance, 12mpg is reasonable (it could be worse in colder weather) and it is same with any vehicle.

• The EPA does the testing, independent of the manufacturer, and puts the numbers on the Window stickers.
    edited November 2010
    It used to be that the EPA published the specs and the manufacturers did the testing, and the EPA did some spot checks to keep them honest. The EPA does more testing now, but manufacturers can still submit their own test data to EPA, with oversight by the EPA.

EPA's website isn't specific on how much testing is done in house and how many manufacturers submit results.

Same difference though - mpg numbers are "certified" by the EPA, not the automakers. If you're getting less than the sticker, check out some of these tips to try to rule out some things:

What Really Saves Gas? And How Much?

We Test the Tips Part II

As the first link says though, "Our tests showed that the most significant way to save gas is: you".

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

According to my observation (with the help of trip computer), the traffic condition has a much higher impact on fuel economy than driving habit (i'm not talking about the extreme cases like weaving through traffic and flooring the gas pedal just to get 2 cars ahead in the line) and other factors like tire pressure...etc. On the same route, same driver and same driving habit, but different time of day (peak vs. off peak) the difference on fuel economy can be up to 50%. (Hybrid and electric excluded)

The other factors that can affect fuel economy are:
    -driving short trip all the time
    -cold weather
    -snowy, icy conditon

The EPA testing is done in a controlled lab environment so the result is usually optimal.

edited November 2010
    Interesting observation and yeah, I could see heavy traffic hammering the mpg pretty good.

So, did you wind up with a Tucson then or are you still shopping? (Don't see a recent post of yours off-hand saying whether you got a Tucson or not).

we bought the Rondo a year ago because the wife insisted 7 passenger is a good thing. my cousin just bought the Santa Fe, V6 mated with the 6 speed tranny and it has the same EPA FE rating as my 2.4L Rondo (but the V6 has 276hp), that's when i got interested in the new Tucson (also with the 6 speed tranny).

if i lost my company van (i wouldn't be surprised with all these budget cuts), i would definitely test drive the new Tucson first.