Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element Real World MPG

Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
Please post about your Element gas mileage. Please include info about city/highway miles driven, your driving style or anything else you think may help others compare their mpg to yours.

Steve, Host

Comments

• dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    18.21 m.p.g. at 237 miles, lowest recorded.
    25.20 m.p.g. highest recorded.
    "Average" seems between 20 and 22 m.p.g.
    It's an AWD automatic.
    I live in the mountains of western NC and ALL driving is on twisty roads with many ups & downs. I hardly ever get it out on 4 lane highways. I'm 60 years old so I don't hot-rod in "Watson" but I'm not a slow driver either. My other car is a 2006 Porsche 911.
    Hope this helps.
  • honda67honda67 Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 AWD EX Auto and am getting what I consider poor m.p.g. Currently have 1,600 miles on it and am "hoping" time may improve overal m.p.g. ??? Love the car but very disappointed in m.p.g. so far.
    I drive almost exculsively in town miles and never push it too hard.
    City 16 m.p.g.
    Mixed 18 m.p.g.
  • takytaky Posts: 13
    I'm in Los Angelos. Get an average of 21 MPG. Best was 24. There are times I just switch to neutral and let it slide to stop in front of a red light, or slide down a hill.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    Coasting in gear is fine but I bet it's illegal in California to coast in neutral for safety reasons. Some say you use less gas coasting in gear than in neutral and that it may harm your automatic transmission.

cosmo, "VW Passat TDI" #895, 8 Aug 2005 1:02 pm

On driving in neutral Grist

Top 10 Tips for Improving Your Fuel Economy

Steve, Host
  • I have an AWD 5SP '03 EX with +/- 40K miles. I reside in the Northeast and approximate my driving to be 50% highway / 40% suburban & 10% city.

With the OEM tires (Wranglers), I would average 26-27MPG, which includes highway speeds of 70MPH. I had a personal best of 28.5MPG.

After switching to Yokahama Geolanders, my MPG dropped to 24.5 - 25.5, with a personal best of 26.5MPG.
    I had read several blogs prior to purchasing the tires and anticpated the drop in mileage. The E rides and handles SO much better (and quieter) with the new tires, that I gladly accept the slight decrease in MPG.
  • 04 EX AWD automatic... Even with the old Goodyears vs. new Bridgestone's. 35 mile roundtrip commute each day mostly highway. Errands on weekends. 26,700 miles now. Purchased with 25,600 miles. Have tracked mileage from start.

Just ordered a new K&N Air Filter as the factory filter is due for replacing @30k. Supposedly the power and economy will do a bit better with this K&N Filter. At 3 bucks a gallon, anything to increase mileage can pay for itself quicker these days.

Will post an economy report later once I log some #'s with the new filter system...
  • 06 LX AWD. I have around 2,200 miles on it now, and the mileage has been remarkably consistent since day 1. I tried driving it hard for one tank, and then backed off for the next , and only noticed a 1 MPG difference. Maybe I just don't really drive all that hard.

Once the warranty is up, I'm considering adding the 6th gear there is space for and seeing how much that helps. It'll be a while though.
  • Had a 2005 EX AWD 5-speed manual (great car) just traded it for a shiny new 2007 EX AWD 5-speed automatic. Lots of nice little changes on the 07, mainly the 5-speed automatic. tranny.
    05' AWD manual best 26 MPG worst 21.5 (and I drove it hard)
    07' AWD automatic only one tank so far 23 MPG
  • earthearth Posts: 76
    First tank full, only City driving. No heavy footed. Used same pump, same gas station...07 SC Automatic

17.56 MPG City ( 218 miles total on car at this time )
  • rlanerlane Posts: 2
    I drive lot for work on both highway and secondary roads. I have a 2003 EX auto all wheel drive. I have never had a car that got worse milage on the highway than in the City till now.
  • ragetsragets Posts: 63
    I'm looking into a 2007 Honda Element EX 4wd how's your guys gas milage and do you know of any tips to achieve better milage?
  • My 2003 EX ranges from 19.5 to 20.9 MPG with mostly city driving and a fairly aggressive foot. I have on long freeway trips achieved 24+ but I usually drive 75-85mph. Coming from an Isuzu Axiom that got 16mpg and an Isuzu Trooper that got 13-14mpg, I'm very satisfied with the milage I get.
  • mpolompolo Posts: 3
    I've gotten anywhere between 21 and 25 MPG in my automatic AWD Elephant. My average is around 23 MPG.

My driving is about 55% Highway, 40% country backroads, and 5% city traffic.

I'm an aggressive driver - jack-rabbit starts and tight corners. I won't speed up to a light or stop sign, tho'. I instead coast a bit before applying the brakes.

I got my worst mileage carrying a new 275-gallon oil tank home from 45 miles away. It was sticking out of the open liftgate. I got stuck in gridlocked Boston traffic the same week. This was late Autumn.

My best milage was a week I drove country roads almost exclusively. Average speed was about 45 MPH. This was in early Summer without AC.

Country-road driving at 40 MPH returns better gas mileage than highway driving at 70-75 MPH.

Using the AC consumes a little less gas than open windows on the highway. On country roads, the reverse is true.

I've still the original Goodyear Wrangler tires at 44,000 miles. They need to be replaced soon. However, the original brakes are doing fine.

The Hankook AT RH08 look like decent replacement tires. They're not made in 215/70R/16, so it will have to be 225/70R/16. I'm hoping their lower rolling resistance will improve the gas mileage a bit.

Marco
  • Hey Everyone,

I recently bought an 04 Element with about 22,000 miles on it. I picked this vehicle because of the great gas mileage and cargo space, ect... I've calculated the MPG over the past 4 months that I've had the vehicle and found that I only get about 12.5 MPG. What's wrong? What would be robbing me of MPG? Any help would be great, thanks.
  • cwalticwalti Posts: 185
    ...maybe your math?

Are you putting every 175 miles 14 galllons of fuel in the tank?
  • I think my math is correct. My last fill was about 12.7 gallons of fuel. The mileage on the tank was 155.5 miles. 155 divided by 12 = 12.9 MPG. Any other ideas what could be doing this?? Thanks
  • You have to be doing somthing wrong in you calculations or else be driving in 1st gear all of the time!
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i think i know whats wrong...how much you fill the tank up with! The elements fuel tank has got to be at least 14 gal...
  • ragetsragets Posts: 63
    The tank is 15.9 gallons. On my last two tanks I've gotten 25 mpg (mostly city) and my most recent tank 30 mpg (All highway, little bit of city). Mine is a 2007 4wd EX. Gets pretty good, I guess. :D
  • mikemir87mikemir87 Posts: 2
    Is it really 15.9? Because when its bone dry gas light and all (like last night) the max i can put in is like 12.3 Gallons...
    As for MPG's
    i have beefier tires which may cause an issue but this past winter i was getting like 18-19 mpg as an average with mix of highway and city driving, but lots of traffic in RI so..

but the past month or so my average has gone up. two weeks ago i got 21.5 mpg and i was shocked and siked and this week i got 22.2!!! this week had a bit more highway but still, that was huge. To the tank i got 275.5 miles which was a record...my usual is 240 which is decent and my lowest this winter was like 212, and i wasnt happy about that at all...But ive been thinking about maybe trading it in due soley to mpg and it seems like it knows and is getting better so i keep her lol... :blush: