Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Element Real World MPG

Comments

• ragetsragets Posts: 63
    My last tank I got 356 miles. I am on mostly highway and very little city and I still have the stock tires. My car isn't even really broken in yet!
  • dslightamdslightam Posts: 12
    Stock tires, 30k miles. I love this vehicle but MPG is the one thing that makes me feel guilty about buying it. Yeah, I know, I know ,it's not THAT bad, but it's not all that much better then the cars I owned growing up. Granted it's a huge rolling box, my dog loves it, the wife and I can sleep in it on a futon (!)...but still.

Sometimes I kid myself that taking out the back seats will reduce the weight and increase the MPG. The best MPG I ever got was 27mpg on a road-trip that was 90% hwy and actually had a Yakima box on the top! Weird. I have an 11 mile commute. Usually I get 24. I'm not an aggressive driver but I have my moments.

BTW, I think the tank is 15.9 gallons (according to the manual) but the gas light comes on at about 12 gallons.
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    hi everyone, i am looking at a used 2007 and am hoping that it gets better mileage than most of you are stating. should i assume that the 2007 because of the 5sp auto trans will do a little bit better? the one i am looking at has only 5,000 miles on it-wondering if gas mileage is why they got rid of it.
  • sr0211sr0211 Posts: 1
    07 Element SC Automatic. City only driving, I have been getting around 18 mpg just about each time I go to the pumps. Not a heavy footer, or breaker. 1,000 miles on OD at this time after 5 months of ownership. ( I only drive about 200 miles per month )
  • jdarseyjdarsey Posts: 1
    20,800 miles on odometer, I get 20mpg, replaced stock tires after 11,000miles *grumble*
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Filled ours up yesterday...We got 23.5mpg, with mostly city driving on this last tank.

This vehicle typically only gets driven to and from work by my wife, and stays garaged the rest of the time. I have only had it on 1 highway trip since we got it 15 months ago, and we got 26 mpg on that trip if I recall correctly.
  • ragetsragets Posts: 63
    I was so mad this past week about my MPG!!!!!!
    I went and stayed at my friends house, who lives in Wheeling, West Virginia. I only got 14 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have never gotten that bad of MPG. My best was 30, all highway.
    I hope not every time I drive in the city I will get that bad of mileage.
    I just hit 1,040 miles on my '07 EX 4wd Auto.

I wonder what went wrong. :cry:
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    Drove my Element ('06 4wd, Auto) on a 360 mile (each way) trip to the beach. Trip consisted of a mix of highway, and back roads. Used the a/c part of the way, and had the windows down for part. Just me and my wife, and 2 weeks worth of crap (stuffed to the gills). We got 27mpg each way.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    You drive yours alot.
    Bought the car July 30th with about 50 miles on it, have around 850 on it now so i guess i do.
  • Hey Tundradude,

Did you get rid of the XB? I just turned 70K on my 05 and I'm looking for a possible replacement. I just got back from a 500 mile trip to Pittsburgh and avg'd 33 mpg with the auto Box.

I looked at the Element but 22 mpg is a little low for me. I like the flexible interior of the Element and dealers around here seem willing to deal on them.

How do you like your new rig?
  • I still have my xB. It has 17,600 miles on it. In theory, I have two boxes.

The element is a nice highway car, it almost has 700 miles on it in 2 months of ownership. I used to commute 60 miles to 90 per day. Now, I walk to work, hence the lower mileage. Our first tank at 24.8 (memory from earlier post) was mixed driving, but the second tank was all stop and go.

I like the flexibility of the Element. Actually, I wish the mpg was higher, but considering the power and the aerodynamics, its understandable. They actually dropped the mpg (by the EPA) to 18/22 for 2008. I believe mind said 22/25 (memory). The element does not handle like the xB, but its not bad. I have been real gentle through break-in. I do like the standard side airbags in the Element. It is a manual LX. Most people hate the black body panels, but I adore them especially through love-bug season. Honda gave a special financing rate on it.

My xB still delivers 33mpg (manual) no matter how you drive it. However, the Element is bigger and has a much bigger engine.

We bought it for the flexiblity of our two dogs and the all rubber interior. The Element replaced our 95 Corolla. I sold it at 217,000 miles and it still had the original transmission.

I still enjoy my xB, I just don't drive as much.
  • I was getting an average of 20-22 in mixed highway and city (I have a 2007 Element EX 4wd), so I thought I would try to increase it. First I quit using the AC and just used the fan. Second in town I used only the windows. I start out much slower and not as fast as before. I only go 55 on the highway and use my cruise control. My benefits was 27 MPG and I did go 65 once on the high way and once used a back road to get somewhere faster(going 55-60 on hilly back roads). So if I eliminate that on my next trip I'm hoping to get 28 to 30 MPG!

There's a great website to go to to keep your milage of your vehicle. It's: www.mymilemarker.com
  • I almost have a 1000 miles, it is currently at 900. Driving the car to break it in is dangerous. With the roads being 70 and usually everyone traveling 80, varying speeds up to 55 is not fun. I can't wait to drive NOT 55.

I know from towing experience with my Tundra when I kept my speed at 60 and not at 70, I saved a whole tank of gas on a trip. However, the tundra is a 4.7 v8 and it gets 19 on the highway unloaded and you can drive it at any speed. Going 60 with something 50 feet is never a problem.
    Averaging between 21-23 with a mix of city and freeway driving.