Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• By any chance is this related to the known issues with the dashboard that date back to 2003? GMC issued me a letter that they extended the warranty to 70,000 on my 03.. My friends '04 Tahoe 2004 failed about 3 months after buying used from a GM dealer. They charged him for the replacement and would not even acknowledge the fault existed until I helped him by producing the letter. Then they said, too bad for you the truck just crossed 70,000 miles, PAY UP!. I unfortunately agree with your assessment on the GM's neglect of these issues and their customers, especially as it relates to safety. I was the unfortunate receiver of GMC truck with the faulty brake lines and luckily survived 2 near accidents. My 03, after 8 years and 68,000 miles never made it through one oil change without 1-3 warranty or out warranty issues occurring. NOT One oil change and GM service ignored. If it wasn't for a half way decent dealer, I would never have kept it that long. The problems never ended and after 33 years of GMs I gave up, as my family's safety was not worth it. Technical issues occur but GM has failed at respecting their customers and following up on these issues. I too wanted them to succeed, but it got to expensive for me. I will tell you, I switched to that other American truck company, and so far have had an extremely positive customer service experience. Good Luck!
  • wstgawstga Posts: 11
    My biggest problem is the safety systems and the loss of control malfunctions. I can understand a electrical gadget like a radio or maybe a window motor acting up.

It wouldn't be so bad if transmission wouldn't change gears to 2nd at 65 mph on the highway and cause the seat belt to choke ya. Or for the drive by wire throttle to cut in and out. Nothing like trying to pull out in traffic and thinking , is it going to do it again today ?

Thanks for your story , I'm going to keep researching this and posting more videos to see how many more people are having the same problems.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    With an intermittent problem, GM can authorize the installation of a data event recorder to record soft codes. Most of the time these are done to trucks under warranty. Not sure how much it would cost for one out of warranty.
  • Good morning wstga,

I went back in the thread and saw in your initial post that you have interacted with Customer Assistance already. I'm sorry that this process was frustrating for you, and would like to follow up further. Do you have a Service Request number (or the last 8 digits of your VIN, if not)? We would be willing to look into that again for you if you would please email us more details.

Thank you in advance,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks for your post. This truck is still under GM certified warrenty.

I saw some other post about a event record being installed. When I asked for this from GM , I was told there was no such device and they couldn't do it.

Cost for diagnosis isn't too big a issue to me as fixing this safety issue and preventing a accident.

I was told there is little profit for local GM shops spending alot of time tring to diagnosis hard to find problems.
    Thanks for posting Sara.

I will send you a email this evening. I have several videos posted online if you want to look. I am working on a longer one with more issues I have experienced. I look forward to hearing from you.

We had the rear wheels lock up this weekend for a few seconds , without pressing the brakes. Crasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDyyMKNo9_c&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJzO_X6llE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
  • WSTGA,
    It is great that you have these videos. I wish I had one when my brake lines burst(x2). I have posted your videos on my Facebook page and will ask friends to spread them around. Maybe this will get GM's attention. Maybe they will also pay attention and make it right for all of us that bought their trucks and paid thousands to fix their prematurely failing brake lines.
    Good Luck, stay safe.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully nobody was hurt.

I know American quality is gotta be better than this.

My 1998 Silverado with 259,000 miles on the orginal engine is more trustworthy than this 2007.

If your hear anything on Facebook , please let me know.

Thanks.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I was told there is little profit for local GM shops spending alot of time tring to diagnosis hard to find problems.

This is true. What's also true is that GM has labor times (time allowed to change the part) that are impossible to meet also causing the dealer to lose money on hard to resolve warranty issues.
  • And this is where GM should step in, use their MBAs and support their customers or else they will continue to lose them. Get of the white tower, go to dealers and listen to a few customers! Especially the ones with repeat problems.
  • I have a 2008 GMC Sierra HD duramax. This was the work truck with the DIC controlled by the trip odometer lever. I installed the official GMC DIC switch in 2008 or 2009 so that I could get the full diagnostics in the display area. Intermittently, the display area would go dark. But it never stayed that way so I never raised it at the dealer. The warrantly expired in September and now, not only has the information display gone black but so has the shift indicator and all the gauges are haywire. The Speedo and tacometer still both read and the warning lights show up on startup. But everything else is black. I pulled the new DIC switch and reinstalled the connector and the display returned.... briefly..... Now is is entirely black. I've checked all the fuses and they seem ok. I've checked for a code with a generic code reader and nothing is showing up. I have the factory manual but it is over my head. Any insights or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
    Thanks for posting ,

I agree , I have been begging for more technical help. The reality is , you will not get help unless a tech can see a problem. It can be tricky to do when a product malfunctions at random. Multiple, documented cases showing Video proof of a intermediate safety issue is not enough proof to get help.

Shops are pushed for production = profit. Spending time going into a system cost hours.

Sadly nothing will be done until there is accident or two , then some media and some attorneys will be looking for fame and fortune.
  • Hadlock,

I tried to do some investigation using my resources as a Customer Service Representative, but was not able to find a clear cause behind the DIC issue you're describing. Some thoughts that surfaced included perhaps the ECM, but please don't consider this an official GM diagnosis as we rely upon our dealerships for that.

I realize you are just outside of the parameters of your Bumper-to-Bumper warranty.
    If you were to get us an email with more information, including your name/username and contact information (phone and address), the last 8 digits of your VIN, the name of your involved dealership and current mileage we would be able to evaluate the situation further, perhaps even contacting your dealership.

Thank you very much,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Thank you Sarah, as a longtime GM truck owner I appreciate this level of interest and support. I have sent you the info you request by separate email. Thanks again for your help. I'm hoping, with your help, this can have a happy ending. Steve
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pEIRRMrSVk&feature=youtu.be

PLZ watch my video I have many more. Twade23 did that fix your problem for good?

I have been having the same problem for the longest time. I have more videos ill be updating in a few hours.

I have been having the same problem for the longest time. I have more videos ill be updating in a few hours.
  • Thanks for the message and the video. Unforunately I couldn't see what you did to correct the problem. Could you provide a little more information? Thanks, Steve
  • Yeah it seems to have fixed my probkems. I havent had any cutouts or dimming of the lights since I tightened that plug under the fuse panel. Good luck getting yours fixed.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-suNGn7J1s&feature=youtu.be

More video of my truck acting up. This went on for a good while. Im fix too try tightening the plug under the fuse panel. Ill let y'all know what happens after i do it.
    I had your exact same problem. Does your transmission down shift on a lower gear at highway speed ? Does your brake system become difficult to use when this happens ? My problem keeps getting worse.
  • Hi Savvy5000, Did you ever get your problem resolved with the auto locks on your truck "freaking" out? I have an 09 Sierra, and have had the exact problem you described. I have other electrical grimlins as well, and they look at me like I'm crazy when I've taken it to the dealership. I believe GM knows something is up, but is refusing to admit it.
    Thanks!
  • Exact. Same. Problem.

2009 silverado LT, crew cab. 5.3L

Lights flicker with brakes, door locks intermittently freak out. Tonight lost power pulling out into traffic and without coasting truck up onto median would have wrecked. Precluded by wierd chimes and random downshifting. On two occasions two weeks apart, turned off ignition and all went dark and cold, similar to dead battery. On the second I used a jumper cable from negative terminal to frame and power came back. don't work.

Have seen several similar posts and cant believe this isnt a recall/extended warranty period item, a quick response and escape route is the only thing that prevented an accident tonight! Of course Im 9000 miles over warrenty... Electrical gremlins get very expensive very quickly - PLEASE HELP!

I've babied this thing since I've owned it, still looks new and has yet to see a trailer. Chevy, I've wanted a silverado since I first saw one, please don't let me down.... My wife has already uttered the "never again" phrase!
  • Have you already been working with your dealership towards getting a diagnosis on this?
    We could explore what options are available to you through a Customer Assistance Case, which are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and also add to the database that GM uses to make product decisions. If you are interested in this, please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Just bought my truck without a keyless remote so I purchased one at the dealer and they wanted $65 to program it. No way. YouTube gives some instructions but none have worked. Ive tried holding the unlock button, turn ignition on/off twice, hold lock-unlock buttons on remote down, then turn ignition on-off one DID NOT WORK. I've also tried the Vehicle Info, "Press To relearn a remote Key" and there is no such option! Aggggggg!!!! Please help? Thank you all
  • Well I was wrong. The problems have come back and are now worse than ever. I didn't think I was going to make it to work this morning, I was on top of a high rise bridge and I flicked my high beams on and the truck "freaked" out. All the lights went out the dash light got bright and dim over and over, the gauges went back and fourth, the door locks kept locking and unlocking and the engine kept stalling and then it would come back. The truck did this for about a mile until I stopped and pulled over then the truck went back to normal. Also I don't know if anyone else has heated seats, but my truck does and they were on also and only the driver side. I hate to even take this to the dealership because I know it is just going to cost me a bunch of money to fix a problem I haven't caused. I think GM should be looking into this problem and finding a fix for it before it causes someone to get hurt or killed.
  • Hi shigzy, I am having the same problems you had, and I was just replying to ask if you have had anymore problems since replacing the ignition switch?

Thanks,
    Twade23
  • i have a 2008 sierra and mine is doing the exact same thing as yours. the only exception is my service airbag light comes on at random times, but only when im driving by myself. im just disgusted because i've only had this truck a couple weeks and just started this yesterday. i had a 99 sierra and drove it for years without any problems. went to the dealership and getting the run around. let me know if you have any luck. thanks
  • I see that you are currently working with your dealership, dbrown205. If you would like assistance in this process, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us via email with more information, including your name, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN, and the name of your dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • GM Sarah,

I sent you an email yesterday to the address associated with your ID. Please advise.

Thanks