Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• I have 2007 silverado ltz,something drains my battery overnight and after a jump start it might not happen again for a year.
  • Hi everyone. I have a 2010 GMC Sierra and want to wire in some LED lights that I will attach to my backrack. I want this to be as clean as possible and want to utilize the switch for the cargo lamp so when I turn on the body light this LED light comes on as well. How do I go about doing this?
  • Rory,
    I have a 03' Silverado P/U that has been doing something very similar. Over the past week the truck has been dead in the morning twice. Each time I jumped - it and it ran fine for a few days. I charged the battery(one year old) and just replaced the alternator.

I just got home from the store and turned the truck off then waited for the lights to go out. All went out EXCEPT for the instrument lights and some other small lights (door switch etc.). I could not figure out why my newish battery kept discharging overnight!

Any luck figuring out why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Ben
  • this same messege has been coming up on my dash lately..
    up untill yesterday it didnt come off..
    as soon as i got home everything died and the truck turned off..
    did you find the solution for your problem?
    or can anybody help me out on exactlly what it is?
    im a little limited on money so i dont want to go out and buy a new battery or alternator and then finding out later that thats not the problem..

help, someone?
  • Hi Whizbang
    Just so you know that you are not alone. My 07 Silverado bought new in June 07 has done that 2 or 3 times since new. I have not taken it in for the problem because after a boost everthing is fine. I do carry a powerpak with me now for the next time it happens. My father had 04 Buick with next to no miles on it that did the same thing and dealer could not sort it out in 3 tries. By the time it was towed in everything checked out fine. Love my truck though.

Newtonville Dan
  • Have a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 all new brake parts but the brakes will lock up on it after driving it for 10 or 20 min no one can figure out what the problem is it all started when i had a brake hose bust underneith and now the brakes lock up if anyone knows a fix i would really love it email to joesherwo64@yahoo.com
  • denhamdenham Posts: 76
    The problem is your brake hose. The fluid is not able to return to the master cylinder after it gets hot as the clamp holding the hose to th upper control arm has the fluid cut off. I own a shop and this is a defect in the hoses and a common problem. remove the hose and check and you will find it stopped up.
    Dennis
  • Hi, I have a 2001 Silverado and my problem is that any other day the battery will drain overnight and I've had noticed that 2 lights come on after the car is being parked for like a minute or so. The lights that come on are: the high beam headlight and the cruise control (my truck doesn't have a cruise control)
    Sometimes I will be able to get the truck running but it feels like the battery barely has charge to turn the starter and the rest of the days it wont start at all.
    I took it to a shop but they could (or didn't want to) find the problem. So I thought that I might get any help around the net and I stumbled here, Thanks
  • http://www.justanswer.com/new-question/waiting-room-j.aspx?tid=6997814
    Hey Joe! I'm sending this to your email ad as well, but hey I just bought a 88 version of your truck, I love it! But have had some real doozies of some issues getting it back into shape. Well no one would be able to solve the issues I had, These trucks really are fantastik, but they are very unique to say the least. Well the link I posted first is the only way I can tell ya to solve any issue like this it may cost you 12 bucks or so to get the answer, but you only pay after you get your answer, are 100% happy with your answers and have fixed your issue. I welcome you to reply to my email and ask me anything you want, I have no ties to the site or to Doug the ASE Certified mechanic I ask my questions to. I spent in exess of 200$ trying to get my truck tuned up after doing a tune up myself, and making some upgrades, well three trips back to the shop, and two days of trying to find out why it was not keeping its tune and time, I asked Doug on this site, he replied within ten minutes and solved my problem. reply to my email adress if you want more details, but I promise you, you will love this site and Doug has over 31yrs of being a pro Chevy tech at Indianapolis Speedway, "He knows his stuff!" good luck
  • Just wondering if anyone has actually done this yet? I have googled and found a whole pile of differnet answers how to do it...in particualar the passenger side.

I am just wondering the easy way to do it? There are some that talk about just removing the air filter cover, and then being able to reach...others talk about partially removing the wheel well cover and accessing a bolt there?

Also, again, google provided way to many different answers...anyone know which bulb is used for the regular/daytime beams? I know it will be in the manual, but I don't have one here...

Thanks
  • hey my Vehicle is a 88 chevy silverado. Once my headlights turn on my running and brake lights go out. What should I do to fix this?

I have had goodyear check all fuses and bulbs and still nothing. Also my turn indicator whenever activated ( left or right) turns on my emergency flashers. My steering wheel is loose and can be jerked around and im wondering if by doing this that a ground in the dash board is out or not grounded any longer. I dont want to put any more money into this truck. Someone please help. ( I dont know much about cars)
  • Going down the road my truck lost engine compression. Took it to a micky mouse chevy dealer and they said it was electrical. after paying the bill, I was on the road home and it did it again. I have replaced the battery, alternator, plugs, footfeed sensor, throttlebody sensor, fuel pump relay, and still only reduced engine power. It will not get over 30 miles an hour uphill and 50mph on flat road. What is my problem. What else can I do? where is the computer in this truck. should I unplug it and try to reset the computer?
  • I recently sold a 2007 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Diesel with a towing package. After taking a long trip with no incidents, my client called to inform me that the headlights on the truck turn on by themselves when it rains. This even seems to occur when the vehicle is under cover of a barn. The local Chevy dealer 'took a look at it' and could not duplicate the problem and said until they could there was no way it could be traced. They brought the truck back to us, and guess what? I parked the truck facing my window last Saturday, it rained, and after a couple of hours, the lights came on, all by themselves. Only the headlights, not the marker lamps or side lamps or brights. Worst thing about it is there is no way to turn the lights out once they come on unless you disconnect the battery. Even after starting the vehicle, and shutting it down again, they may go out briefly, but then come back on, even if it is brought under cover. ANY IDEAS???? No one seems to want or be able to tackle the problem. My guess is that once it is found it is a simple solution. HELP!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    isellfordcars,
    Have you taken your vehicle to a different dealer? I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion if your not satisfied with the first one. Maybe ask them to keep it in the dimly lit shop for a couple hours? Please keep me posted on your progress,
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I am seeing some weird issues with my truck since I moved to Colorado and it has gotten cold. I have a 2004 Z71 GMC Sierra and I am seeing some weird electrical issues witht he truck. On the rearview mirror, I have the compass and temperature readings. When it is cold, and only when it is cold, there are glitches and what looks like power reseting occurs. This can happen once or twice a minute or up to 20+ times per minute. Also, this morning the radio turned on, read CD's, received the digital information from radio stations but never once did it output any sound. Any ideas what is going on? I called the service folks up the street and they want nearly $100 just to bring in the truck.

Also, if I have the heater going and put the truck in park, the heater turns off and outputs cool air. When I put it back into drive, it is 50/50 as to if the air gets warm again. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • My daughter was driving my 2004 Silverado truck the other day. It started fine, then within a block, shuddered and died. We could not get the starter to even move (no clicking..nothing). There is plenty of juice - all lights come on just fine. Just cant get anything going on with the starter. Any help would be appreciated! jameshughes@mywdo.com :cry:
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    jimhughes ,
    I would recommend having your authorized GM dealer of choice looking at your vehicle.
    They are in the best position to diagnosis your vehicle.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2bconcerned2bconcerned Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    Looking to purchase a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab pick-up. What kind of problems have been related to this vehicle?