Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    If you haven't already, send your information over and we can take a look. However, given the age and mileage of the vehicle, I cannot guarantee we'll be able to assist.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    sarahc7,

Let us know if you ever head to a dealership to get these concerns checked into! We're available to work with you through that process if you like, and can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Thanks Sarah. I am going to try adding some fluid to transmission it was a bit low. I want to see if that will help the slipping, but I don't know about anything else. I will let you know though if we do. Thanks again.
    Sarah
  • If I am driving with the heater on I can't adjust the temperature it stays hot, if I switch it over to A/C it won't change unless I kill the truck and restart then 90% of the time it will go to A/C, but it won't go back to heat unless I do the same of killing the truck and then restarting? Where do I begin my search for a cure?
  • Had electrical fire in 2011 Chevrolet Silverado. Dealer says wiring harness fire. Anyone else heard of this or had happen
    kimalberta,
    Are you already in contact with Customer Service about this issue?
  • Hey there,

I'm not sure if it is the same thing but i had my Chevy HHR catch on fire due to a short in the electrical system in the car. I was in the car and the whole front dashboard was melted. Needless to say the car was totaled about ten months old and 4,500 miles on it. Chevy refused to comment to me or help out on the car even though they were the ones who determined they were the cause. Gotta love fortune 500 companies in america if i were you sell the truck ASAP before it traps you inside in fire.
  • barnowl3barnowl3 Posts: 70
    This is going back a ways, but just in case it helps. My 03 Sierra , had some high/low voltage charging issues while still under warranty. First they replaced the alternator. Soon afterwards the voltage went wild, swinging back and forth between like 10 volts to 19 volts. Got it into the dealer on time before anything blew and they said there were issues with that part of the wiring harness. The way my voltage was swinging, I could have easily seen that overload the wiring, blowing filaments, etc. Replacing it did fix that problem, though I did go through another alternator about 3yrs later under 60,000 miles.

Is GM covering the damages under warranty? It would be good to get a sound explanation as to the cause, so the new harness does not have the same problem. I had several other parts that failed under warranty repeatedly, leading to me to believe there was a design flaw that never was corrected. That becomes a real problem for reliability, but fires are in a different category. If you do not get a clear answer, consider reporting it to the NHTSA, as this is what many had to to do with early rotting brake lines in '03 and '04, causing sudden loss of brakes in 4 yr old trucks.
    westminsterfly,
    Did you ever have any sort of file opened with us on this incident? Please let me know if we can check into anything further.
  • ryan2274ryan2274 Posts: 2
    I'm dealing with the same problem. I have a 2007 1/2 ton GMC Sierra w/the VortecMax(6.0). Started having minor issues just like yours about a year ago but truck always restarted. Went to a local Chevy dealer and they said it was a ground. Truck ran fine for a while then slowly started doing the same thing until truck wouldn't start. Turn the key and lights(interior and exterior), radio, windows and locks, fuel pump, and the lights where the gauges are(DIC) would all work. I could also shift into gear. Unfortunetly the none of the gauges(fuel, oil, temp etc.) would not work and could not start the truck. Bought a new battery, still nothing. Had a local mechanic(non dealer garage) check every fuse, found nothing. After 3 days and him arguing with the Chevy dealership, he traced the problem to be in the BCM. So with the new battery installed he took his personal computer and cleared the codes. Then he went through a BCM restart. And that consist of turning key on waiting 14 minutes, taking key out(very important, take key out). He got this info from a friend in Texas, and i may not have all the steps correct. I will get back to you on this. Did this process 3 times and truck has run perfect every since. Truck will run normal until the battery runs down(which I know eventually will in time) or I have to disconnect a the battery cables(which I know I will at some point in the future). Long story short, truck will run as intended until one of the two happens. This is a temp fix, guess I just need to replace the BCM. Don't know what caused this to happen, wish I did. Sad thing is the Chevy garage is just gonna temp fix it for ya and send you on your merry way, and of course charge you, and of course not tell you anything so you can come back and spend some more of your hard earned money. Hope this helps and if you have any updates let me know.
  • ryan2274ryan2274 Posts: 2
    I'm dealing with the same problem. I have a 2007 1/2 ton GMC Sierra w/the VortecMax(6.0). Started having minor issues just like yours about a year ago but truck always restarted. Went to a local Chevy dealer and they said it was a ground. Truck ran fine for a while then slowly started doing the same thing until truck wouldn't start. Turn the key and lights(interior and exterior), radio, windows and locks, fuel pump, and the lights where the gauges are(DIC) would all work. I could also shift into gear. Unfortunetly the none of the gauges(fuel, oil, temp etc.) would not work and could not start the truck. Bought a new battery, still nothing. Had a local mechanic(non dealer garage) check every fuse, every ground, found nothing. After 3 days and him arguing with the Chevy dealership, he traced the problem to be in the BCM. So with the new battery installed he took his personal computer and cleared the codes. Then he went through a BCM restart. And that consist of turning key on waiting 14 minutes, taking key out(very important, take key out). He got this info from a friend in Texas, and i may not have all the steps correct. I will get back to you on this. Did this process 3 times and truck has run perfect every since. Truck will run normal until the battery runs down(which I know eventually will in time) or I have to disconnect a the battery cables(which I know I will at some point in the future). Long story short, truck will run as intended until one of the two happens. This is a temp fix, guess I just need to replace the BCM. Don't know what caused this to happen, wish I did. Sad thing is the Chevy garage is just gonna temp fix it for ya and send you on your merry way, and of course charge you, and of course not tell you anything so you can come back and spend some more of your hard earned money. Hope this helps and if you have any updates let me know.
  • did this ever get resolved...i have an 09 with the EXACT same issue and it is freaking me out. I cant find anything to really triggers it and it scares me to drive the truck.

i took it to the dealer and they cant find anything and said bring it back while its acting up....which is hard to do when i cant really drive the thing while its going crazy....

just this morning i was leaving and everything was acting weird when i hit the window switch so i pulled over and turned off the key...it then was DEAD on the hwy for about a min and then everything came back on. ive had the crazy door locks going on and off and the downshifting as well as the stabilitrac turning off and on. I also get to where my AC is acting crazy and blows hot air on one side and cold on the other, again if i turn the truck on and off it all works correctly again.
  • '09 Silverado LT Crew Cab

For me, it was a bad megafuse and new battery cables to fix. This should be a recall item but no help from GM other than the cursory response to my post - they didn't respond to my emails or follow up with my dealer. I do have video of the events including massive downshifting at highway speeds, cycling of ABS and traction control warnings, and even proof the passenger airbag light cycles. To me, it would seem this is a perfect storm and fatality waiting to happen - and one that GM is obviously aware of given their responses to many a post in these forums. Someday a lawyer will salivate over my footage.

Now, a year later, still no issues - however, I now have power lock issues i believe are a result of the multiple lock/unlock cycles during the events.
  • jzblastjzblast Posts: 1
    I had a four door, 2011 Chevy Silverado that caught fire while driving. I have been spending the last two years to get compensated by Chevy. The concept of the fire was never determined, but in my opinion it was a short circuit in the fuel pump. It did short out the harness when the fire started.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Was the damages paid for by your insurance company? Isn't up to them and their attorneys to go after GM if a defect is noted in the investigation. The insurance companies have the resources and the deep pockets to go after GM if their investigation indicated a flaw in design or manufacturing.

Your quest, and you are entitled to pursue, may be a futile effort. As you indicated that the cause of the fire was never substantiated. It is unfortunate.
  • I recently bought a used 2006 silverado 1500. While I was checking things out I noticed that the BACKUP lights didn't come on in reverse, I checked thefuses and they are all OK I need to know if some one has had a simular problem and what could be wrong, I've check the switch and it seems to be working , this switch also controls the neutral and park start, it is rather hard to tell which one is for the BU lights and which is for the start funtion, I have a problem with the CARGO light also when the button is pushed to turn the light on the little light on the dash comes on telling me the light is on but it is lying, I have cheched every thing in this circuit also and it goes to the BCM, as does the BU lights. Does anyone know for sure if the BCMcontrols these 2 items are is it just a convient place for GM to run these wires to.
  • splinter8splinter8 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC. Recently the battery is being drained. I hooked up an ammeter and with ignition off there is a 15 amp draw on the battery which lasts for several seconds and then drops to 5 amps. This continues until the battery is dead. I can something happening inside the passenger door. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx
  • cmnorthcmnorth Posts: 2
    GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 L - Charging system shuts down when towing and RPM over 2000. Inspected at dealer and found no issues. We have tried turning off the AFM system, replaced the alternator and am now looking at replacing the 5 year old battery as a temporary fix. Has any one had this issue and been able to resolve it?
  • bigman55434bigman55434 Posts: 22
    edited July 2013
    I have a 2013 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L. Today, when backing into a parking space, my backup sensors started beeping like normal, then I put the truck in park. Backup beepers still beeping rapidly. Then I shut the truck off and took out the keys. Backup beepers still beeping rapidly. I opened the door, got out, shut the door, and locked it. Still beeping. I got back in the truck, restarted it, then shut the truck off again. They stopped beeping. I checked the sensors for dirt or obstructions. Nothing. WTF.