Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Real World MPG

14567810»

Comments

• toyota07toyota07 Posts: 12
    I've had my 2011 Highlander for over 3 months now and have averaged 27-29 mpg. I calculate the mileage myself and it's always close to the multi-info display. I drive about 30% city and 70% highway with moderate traffic. I am a gentle driver, no hard acceleration or abrupt stops. I opted for the 4 Cyl. because I have 70-mile daily commute. I drove a 2007 V6 Toyota Camry for 5 years and don't really miss the power of the V6. The car has been flawless since day one and hope to continue to be trouble free with no rattles/squeaks. I currently have a little over 4000 miles and have always used regular 87 octane gas.
    I am wondering what other 2011 owners are getting. Also, did you notice any improvement in gas mileage after the first 5000 miles?

Thanks,
  • rma581rma581 Posts: 4
    Ever since I drove my 2010 off the lot new I have been I'm get on a avg 28 Hy. 25mpg mixed 60% hy/40 city. I too decided to get a FWD since it had decent pwr & EPA ratings for a SUV with a 3rd row. Whats strange is that on the 2010 models the EPA lower its ratings from 27 to 25mph even thought they have the same tran / engine as the 2009 model yr. I avg 70 MPH hy & usually dont floor it driving in stop n go traffic. So far I have 4500 miles & I'm getting the same results on Gas Millage. Also to no rattles/squeaks & the Blue Tooth Audio Sync works flawless with my Droit HTC phone..
  • Last year after I put snow tires on my 05 Highlander Limited V6 (I live in Vermont) I noticed that my mileage had falling about 2 mpg. I have tracked my mileage since I bought this car so I was a little surprised at this but felt it was the snow tires. But come springtime, after I switched back to the regular tires nothing changed, still have the lower mpg. To make matters worse on extended road trips I would get anywhere from 23 - 25 mpg. Now I see 21 - 22 and sometimes less then 20 mpg.
    Took the car to the dealer and did not like the response. His first question was did you switch to using gas with ethanol? My response was huh??? I have been using gas with ethanol since I bought the car new. Since the check engine light was not on he said there is nothing he could do about this.
    So my question is what sort of things will cause the mpg to fall like it did.
    Tires have the factory recommend PSI. I have tried different brands of gas and all have the same results.
    Any suggestions as to what I need to do to correct this situation?

Marty
    mkovacs@attglobal.net
  • Hi all, just wanted to add my two cents. Recently purchased a used 2009 Toyota Highlander w/ the 2.7L engine and FWD. Basic car, mileage was 26.6K. With about 70% HWY, driving non-aggressively, and tires inflated to 32 psi, I am averaging 28.5 through 3 tanks of gas. I'm happy with that number. Curious- does anyone know if its possible that driving faster on the highway like, 70 mph, might be more efficient than 60? Seems strange, but my second tank (where I averaged driving faster) was somewhat higher than my first tank.

thanks!
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    No, mpg will be worse at higher speed. More air drag to overcome and engine has to spin faster. Only way I see higher speed being better is perhaps on steep grade, the engine will have more power output and tranny may not downshift and raise rpms.
  • txag1995txag1995 Posts: 7
    edited November 2011
    We just purchased a 2012 Highlander w/ 4CYL engine and have about 2000 miles on it. My wife is consistently getting 25.5 mpg in suburban Texas driving. I get about 24 when I drive it. We have yet to take it on a road trip but short (20-30 miles) on the highway show us getting about 27 mpg at 70 mph.

We are very pleased with this vehicle. It is quiet, comfortable, seats 7, and still gets 25 mpg in day to day driving. Power is fine. I have a Ford Expedition that feels about the same in the power to weight ratio. The only difference is that it gets about 16mpg day to day.

Will update MPG after a road trip next month.
  • I have an opportunity to purchase a 2010 Highlander Limited 4x4; fully equiped with only 11K miles for just 30K (it is a lease repo, and has already been checked out to ensure it is sound). My only concern is that after reading through the forum, it sounds like people are getting crummy mileage with theirs. My driving will be approx 75/25 city/hwy. Should I pass on this? I was hoping to move into an SUV from my older Infinity.

Thanks for your comments!
  • I now have driven over 9,000 miles on my 2010 FWD 4cyl Highlander. I'm still achieving a higher MPG than its EPA ratings (20city 25 highway)... on Avg 50/50% Hy/city driving I can achieve a avg of 24-25mpg & on a avg 80/20% Hy/city I can achive 27-28mpg.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    Well, you missed the deadline for the news story by a few months, but I'm sure the other owners here would like to hear your secret.

Do you keep an egg under the gas pedal?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• txag1995txag1995 Posts: 7
    edited November 2011
    This past weekend we drove from Dallas to Houston (320 miles highway each way) and then drove around Houston about 250 miles which was a mix of hwy and city driving.

Dallas To Houston (320 miles @ 65-80 mph) = 23.3 mpg
    In Houston (250 Miles @ 50/50 City Highway) = 24.1 mpg
    Houston to Dallas (320 miles @ 70-85 mph) = 21.9 mpg (strong head winds)

If my wife drives she usually gets 2 mpg better than I do. We have 2000 miles on the HL now.

*All representations of driving in excess of posted limits are purely fictional and for illustrative purposes only*
  • Not much has changed on our 2012 Highlander w/ 4CYL engine.

My wife still averages about 25.3 in day to day suburban driving; including school drop offs and grocery runs.

When I drive it the mpg still drops off by about 2mpg.

We were considering a GMC Acadia type vehicle before but we are really glad to have the HL. I think we have saved about $250 in gas already over that type of vehicle in similar driving conditions based on what my BIL gets on his Acadia. Over the course of a year we will save almost $700 in gas! That might be chump change for some of you but I am glad to keep the $ in my pocket.
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Posts: 35
    I drive mostly in city (NYC-lots of traffic lights, so stop and go), and my gas mileage is about 12 mpg; about 50% less than listed/advertised/EPA mpg.

On the highway, I get about 20.
  • just an update- with 36K miles on my 2009 HL 2.7L FWD base, I am averaging 28 mpg w/ as much hypermiling tricks that I can stand. I'm doing 75/25 HWY/CITY. Switched to Bridgestone Ecopia 422's which has helped w/ handling and NVH.
  • padypady Posts: 10
    edited May 2012
    Brand new car at 15 miles. First trip 180 miles later mostly freeway ( speed 60miles/hour ) some miles local driving, I got 27.7 mpg.
  • msmram1980msmram1980 Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Tank 1 - 360 miles; mostly highway with some grade; 23.8 mpg
    Tank 2 - 250 miles; mostly highway with some grade; 25.8 mpg
    Tank 3 - 300 miles; state roads with steep grades; avg 45 mph; 22.9 mpg
    Tank 4 - 240 miles; mostly highway with no grade; 26.7 mpg :D
    Tank 5 - 340 miles; even split between highway and suburbs; 25 mpg

- Average speed was 60-70 mph unless indicated
    - Kept engine rpm mostly around 2000 with peak rpm during acceleration not exceeding 3000 rpm (didnt know I had so much self-control!!) :shades:
    - Weight in car around 500 pounds most of the time
    - Regular fuel filled at different stations in PA, VA & MD
    - Light AC almost all the time, windows always up

Measurements were all manual; on-board computer number higher by almost 1.5 mpg.
  • Hi folks, just a quick PSA- there is tons of real world data on the website Fuelly.com broken down by car manufacture, years, model and engine. My car is there- 2009 2.7L HL named, "Hugo". Really interesting and useful site. I cruise at 65 MPH according to the speedo and have Ecopia tires.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    When they do a test they don't do it where there is alot of idling of the engine at stop lights one after another. If your vehicle is sitting motionless 30% of the time due to traffic lights you are getting 0 MPG so it's not fair to state that it's less than advertised. You should have bought a Hybrid for that kind of driving. My Wife only drives 1.5 miles to work everyday and shops other times and is getting about 15 MPG city. When I drive in suburban areas I get about 17 and have been getting about 23.5 on the highway running 70 mph. We have a 2012 Limited AWD V6 with only 2100 miles on it. I expect the Highway to improve when it reaches at least 5000 miles.
  • I live in Houston, Texas and I get 20 MPG in the city and 21.5 - 22 HWY with my 2012 V6 Highlander. Currently have 8000 miles in the odometer.
  • alenbalenb Posts: 1
    I just bough a 2009 Toyota Highlander and was excited about great mileage specs for this SUV.
    Come to realize average fuel economy was much lower that advertised. It's 50% highway driving and I only got average 13.88 MPG.
    Now I am looking into replacing air filter, spark plugs, checking fuel injectors, and hope this improves because I really like this vehicle.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,604
    G'day

The government specified Fuel Economy specifications in Australia tend to be pretty reliable. My 2004 Kluger is rated at 12.3l/100km. I have found that consistently over 195,000km that this is pretty accurate. Long steady highway trips see that drop to 10.5l/100km or less (I found that I was getting 8.8l/100km on a recent gentle trip).

Conversely aggressive city driving can drive it up to 14.5l/100km, but that is rare.

I tend to drive gently, but not slowly, reading the traffic ahead. I usually find that I end my 25km commute a car or two behind aggressive drivers (frequently ahead of them because of reading traffic conditions a long way ahead, even in stop-start traffic). This in a busy city which easily exceeds US traffic intensity.

I have a roof rack with bars, tow bar and carry a fair bit of heavy safety gear, so would expect worse than average economy.

Equally, I got 145,000km from the first set of brake pads, so there is more than one benefit.

Cheers

Graham
  • Finally found the answer. Seems like this fall off started around the time that I reinstalled my regular all season tires. To make a very long story short it appears that one or more brakes were applied that caused my MPG to reduce about 2 -3 miles per gallon. Not noticeable when driving!!!! Finally returned to normal when I had all four brakes rebuilt at the same time after right front breaks really failed and inspection of the other three showed less then perfect performance. Noticed the change immediately after pick when driving.
    All well now back to my 19/20 MPG.
    Lesson learned for sure.
    Marty :)
  • brg88txbrg88tx Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    I recently bought a preowned 2011 highlander 4 cylinder (24k miles) with tech package. through 2 tanks of gas i'm averaging about 26-27 mpg. that is amazing for a suv this size. Imo toyota is sandbagging on the official mpg figures so the sales of their base 4 cyl models do not start taking away sales of their most expensive hybrid model.
  • bedwards4bedwards4 Posts: 2

I have a 2014 Toyota highlander AWD. I average 18.8 mpgs with mixed driving. Any suggestions to improve mpg?

14567810»