Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Real World MPG

Comments

• 77,249.8 miles divided by 3,091.0 gallons = 25.0 mpg

This has included 1 trip per year from Massachusetts to Indiana, and a smaller road trip or two each year (for example, Pennsylvania, Ontario, New York). Otherwise it's a lot of suburban driving with trips several times a week into the city of Lowell, Mass.

Regarding the comment in the earlier post about giving an engine time to break in and mileage will improve, that's not been my experience. After 10,000 miles my Highlander had averaged 25.7 mpg.

Similar experience with an '03 AWD Matrix, a '94 Corolla wagon, an '89 Nissan Sentra AWD wagon, an '87 Chevy Nova, and a couple of late 1970s Hondas. The fuel economy held steady or even declined slightly over the years. I have never had a car that got markedly better gas mileage at 40,000 or 60,000 miles than it did from day one.
  • Good numbers, and record keeping.

I've never seen mpg improve past 5k, 10k or maybe rarely 15k miles and that was primarily in older cars. In the '60s the engines were pretty much worn out by 60k or 80k and using a quart of oil every few hundred miles or so. Sure, some of them lasted longer, but it wasn't a good bet to count on it.

My father wore out a new '53 Chevy engine in less than a year working as a safety officer for a trucking company. The engine was rebuilt at 80k and he put a total of 113,000 miles on the car in 12 months. Went through 24 tires, too. I can't imagine driving that much entirely on the old pre-interstate roads in Virginia, Tennessee and PA with regular trips to the home office in the GM building in Manhattan. He's 88 and misses driving.

John
  • I am new to all this forum stuff and this has probably been answered 100 times , but can you help me out. 09 Highlander w/25,000. 6 cyl Summer MPG is 19.5- 21 City and 23.8 Highway. As soon as winter hits it drops to 16.5-17.8 MPG a combination of city and highway. That includes some nasty New York Weather using 4x4 at times. Are these normal numbers for this vehicle during the winter. The dealer had said something about more methanol in the gas for the winter etc. I have never had a car that drops substantially int he winter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Mostly freeway driving, always use the cruise, and run the speed limit. Currently at 148,000 miles, and I've never managed to get better than 22 mpg.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Posts: 137
    I have 2006 camry le v6. 176,000 miles. last week, i drove 399 miles. average 32.5 mpg. used cruise control. michelin tires, manufactured recommend psi at 29, shell 87 octane..

I beat epa estimates by 4 mpg. so it is possible you can beat epa estimates...
  • redpearlredpearl Posts: 14
    Sold my 2005 V6 Highlander and purchased a 2009 Sienna. Currently on first cross country road trip: 2,220 miles of primarily interstate driving along with state roads and cow paths. Average MPG=27 which I never attained with the Highlander.
  • toyspenotoyspeno Posts: 1
    2001 4 cylinder AWD Highlander 125k miles

Just finished up a 2000 mile trip of 90%+ driving at 70-75 average, people + cargo was about 700lbs, averaged 21.4 MPG. There were some really strong cross winds and intense rain down south for about 250 miles that affected the outcome somewhat. I accelerated to pass quite a bit. Mileage would have been better with patient use of cruise control.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Yes, that is low for the 4 cyl, even at 70-75 mph. Likely all that passing with 700 lbs of freight sucked up a lot of gas, along with the weather you cited. My 2004 4cyl fwd will easily meet old EPA highway rating of 27 mpg at 65-70 mph w/o AC, with about 500-600 lbs.
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    86,904.8 miles ÷ 3,465.9 gallons = 25.1 mpg

This is probably half highway and half in-town. Odd thing about this vehicle is that tanks (350 to 400 miles) on the highway rarely hit 28 mpg, and tanks in town even in the winter rarely fall below 22 mpg.
  • tdivertdiver Posts: 13
    Does anyone have info on the 2011 Highlander? I am looking at a 2010 Limited and wondering if there is enough new on the 2011 to wait for it to come out. Not even the dealers seem to know of course I know they are looking for a sale now. Any info would be appreciated.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Given that the Venza, Sienna, and 2010 RX350 now already have the new F/awd system it seems improbable to me that the 2011 HL will not have it. Also, many engines are now in the process of being converted, certified, with DFI, Direct Fuel Injection. Substantial improvement in FE and HP due to increase of CR to ~12:1.

Might even see an I4 with F/awd with the advent of the DFI engine performance improvement. 210HP..??
    wwest which drive system is better the one on the Highlander now or the new one on the Venza, Sienna etc.? As for DFI yes I think that is the wavy of the future in engines but due to Toyota's problems of late I don't expect to see that for a couple of years (I may be wrong). Anyway I was thinking on the lines of if the 2011 well have memory seats, 6 speed auto, HID's etc...
    The current HL, as did the previous RX, uses three "simple" open differentials. All four wheels are driven as long as all four have roughly equal, high or low, roadbed traction. Should one wheel slip then TC, Traction Control, braking is used to "restrain" that wheel in order to simulate traction and thereby maintain engine torque at a high enough level for the non-slipping, tractive, wheels to get/keep you moving.

When TC activates in this manner the engine also gets dethrottled instantly.

The new system "PRO-ACTIVELY" couples a variable (condition dependent) level of engine torque to the rear any time you accelerate from a low speed, below ~25MPH, to a higher speed, or need extra torque to start moving, towing, hill, etc.

Regretably if/when that doesn't work the system reverts to TC braking and full engine DETHROTTLING.

But progress is progress.

6 speed auto, yes, memory seats, HID, there's always Ebay.

Toyota has a vested interest in not "stealing" Lexus Rx sales.
    Thanks wwest that was a very informative and easy to understand explanation. It does sound like a bit of a wash between the two systems.Though the new system make have a slight edge. I am use to a 2004 Subaru Forester XT which works very well but at 57 I really like the quiet and smooth ride of the Highlander Limited. Also we have driven Toyota's since 1981 and my wife would like to see me get back to a Toyota. We still have the 2001 Avalon XLS and she well not give that up for anything. If the 2011 has the 6 speed I think I may have to wait.
    Were I to purchase one of the new F/awd systems it would immediately get a switch wherein the rear clutch could be manually engaged in times of need.
  • wwest,

What is the story with the Highlander Hybrid rear wheel, does it send power there normally?

The way I see it, wait until 2011 HL specs come out before doing anything.
    edited July 2010
    It is my understanding that the F/awd HH and RXh will NORMALLY power the rear wheels only during acceleration. Other than that I don't know.
  • helmut122helmut122 Posts: 6
    I was told by one salesman that there is a slight redesign for the 2011 highlander and another salesman told me that there will be no styling changes.
    I am in the market for a new vehicle but I don't want to spend 49k on a vehicle that may be redesigned and available within a month or so.
    edited July 2010
    For some, adoption of the F/awd system might be considered a "slight redesign".

No visual difference, except underside.
  • ushy66ushy66 Posts: 186
    Hi Guys-

for a first (partial) look of the 2011 Highlander, the reveal may come @ the Moscow Auto Show on August 25th in three weeks. Reportedly the US version will be virtually the same. Refer to this link:http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/06/first-look-2011-toyota-highlander-to-lau- nch-at-moscow-motor-sho/

Jake
  • See some interesting stuff in the PDF; split third row seat, and that blue color is back, or at least it is in Russia. Now what about the AWD system. Looks like a winner to me.
  • Wow thanks for the pdf link! If that split folding third row seat makes it to the USA, I might be replacing the minivan...
  • The local dealership is flooded with 2010 Highlanders like never before. Either the economy is that bad, or, I am thinking the factory is switching over to 2011, so they built a bunch so during the switch over so dealers have something to sell.
  • Most other 2011 models are announced or even hitting dealers, yet there isn't a peep of official information on the Highlander. Granted, it does seem overpriced so perhaps it is a supply issue. Or maybe they will skip 2011 and bring an early 2012? Anyone heard anything?
  • I was wondering the same thing. The only date I've seen was an unofficial September 24 release date: http://iguida.com/2011-toyota-highlander

I was waiting for it to go on sale, but I'm going to need a new car by the end of October... They might miss my transaction.
  • I was told by 2 dealerships in FL that the new models are coming this week (Wed). My salesperson sent me the specs for the SE. Comparing it to the 2010 specs, it looks like they have added the iPod interface, the 50/50 split for the the 3rd row, it might have XM radio already with a 90 day trial, phone/music streaming via bluetooth, autodimming rearview mirror camera w/compass. Again this is for the SE model 6951
  • Nice, thanks- sounds promising for a split 3rd row in the hybrid. That would probably be enough for me to consider it despite the overpriced sticker. I hope they improve the fuel economy as mentioned earlier in the thread. If only they'd offer a 2WD hybrid and a 4-cylinder for those of us who don't need to tow or drag race, it would easily be 30mpg city.

See if you can tap your guy for the base hybrid info;-)
  • Looks like the media embargo is lifted today as reviews are appearing now. The hybrid gets the 3.5L v6 with 28/28 mpg and a split folding third row seat standard in all trims. Nice.

Looks like the base hybrid also gets bluetooth streaming and fog lamps.