Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, it's a conspiracy, and audia8q is behind the whole thing, he has total control over the tire choice of Mazda. :D

C'mon now, give him a break. Read the disclaimer I found above.

A lot of things change from pre-production cars.

-juice
  • dave90dave90 Posts: 27
    I don't think this is even a change. As mentioned above, most cars come with a number of tires from the factory. Toyota's sometimes have even 4 or 5 different tires.

I think it is pretty clear that the CX-7 will come with both Goodyears and Bridgestones. Probably the Goodyears were available earlier, so they show up in the photos etc.

If you really hate Bridgestone, I'm sure the dealer will swap them out for the Goodyear's on another vehicle. Most likely other buyers won't care so much about brand. Heck they might even DRIVE the car with both types of tire before deciding which one is best.
  • topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    Syadatsi, sue Mazda if you think they deceive you. Ask the dealer to swap the tire if you like the other tire. I am not sure why you should give peopel such an atitude when they just try to help out and I don't know why you think Mazda try to deceive you.

I bought an RX300 a few year back and it came with 2 different tires also. I asked the dealer to swap the tire and they had no problem doing that. It is a common practice within the industry to have mulitple tire supplier for the same car. Is this your first car? Buying car is a happy occasion and if you truely don't like CX-7, may be an RDX is in your future.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I got some further info on the tires.

Mazda is putting both Goodyears and Bridgestones on the CX-7 -- The two brands meet all the specs of the CX-7. The mix will be about half each, an even mix across all the trims and option packages. Even the first batches of cars from the factory have a mix of both...

The Goodyears were available for the preproduction vehicles and that's why they are in the shots in the brochure and on the cars the press drove.
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Audia8 is right, Of the five CX-7's that were delivered to my LA dealer today 5/21, four were on Goodyears image
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Wow the CX-7 still looks great even away from the spotlight of all the recent auto shows.

That pearl red really is the color for this car.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    You sound like a car salesman trying to sell Mazda's AWD system - I ain't buying it from the clueless

How was I trying to sell Mazda's AWD system?? lol...that comment tickled me, thank you!

Also 220 lbs. is not a chump change difference for handling.

I don't see where I mentioned that, either! lol

Show me some concrete evidence that the two different tires affect the CX-7 as much as you are claiming. (unfounded claim's might I add) You seem to be the only one who think's the Goodyear Eagle's are the main reason the CX-7 performed as it did. Just to let you know, if you have been reading, I did agree that tires affect handling, I just have yet to see any evidence backing up your claim specific to the CX-7. That's what this forum is, the CX-7.

Maybe for you, Mazda should change the name to the "Mazda Goodyear Eagle", then they won't be deceiving you. lol
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That red does look sharp. Thanks for checking on the tires. Thanks to audia8q as well for the info.

More proof that we should not jump to conclusions...

-juice
  • lilarrylilarry Posts: 13
    With all the back and forth on tires, I'm thinking I'd want the very best tires available for my CX-7. My Jeep Grand Cherokee came with Goodyear Wranglers on it, a firm truck/SUV tire. I wanted something that would give a gentler but sportier ride and decided to switch the tires to Goodyear Forteras. Our local Goodyear dealer was happy to swap the Wranglers for Forteras (as long as there were less than 500 miles on them). I am now on my second set of Fortera's and absolutely love them - on the Jeep.

If I can get a CX-7 with Eagles on it, I'm sure the local Goodyear dealer would swap them for the tire of my choice (only charging me the difference). I'm wondering how a CX-7 would perform with these Goodyear Fortera light truck/SUV tires.

Better yet, do Bridgestone/Firestone dealers do new car tire swaps? If so, I might consider swapping the Turanza EL42's for Turanza LS's. Unlike the EL42's, the LS's are supposed to be excellent tires - extremely quiet with exceptional handling and traction characteristics. In addition to being a far superior tire, they might also help ease the highway road noise problem.

Any thoughts?
  • satchmosatchmo Posts: 34
    First, I don't think the EL 42s are all that bad. I have owned a 2002 Accord LX coupe (V6) shod with these tires for the first 30K miles (my wife the primary driver): they were very smooth and fairly quiet on good, dry roads (which constitutes maybe 90% of my driving)and were good handling (notably quite sticky in corners). The down side was that traction in heavy rain and (even light) snow was mediocre at best --especially after the tires had more than 10K of wear. They were also quite noisy on concrete surfaces and over rain-grooves. So why did they fare so badly in Tirerack's survey (I ascertained that only 22% of respondents said they would buy again)? I can't answer for sure, but I conjecture that Tirerack's constituency are mostly a very sporty and demanding bunch --I notice that very few OE (original equipment) tires, especially on a sporty/upscale models, meet with their(Tirerack's client's) general approval. So for cars like the Camry Solara Convertible, the Acura TL, or the BMW 745 Li, all of which carried OE Turanza EL 42 tires, the minority of owners for whom handling is THE priority are not going to be happy & will order more performance oriented tires as replacements (presumably from Tirerack). Typically these upscale or premium but sporty cars (though not pure sporty or sports cars)are shod with tires that are a compromise between quietness, smoothness, performance on good roads, reliability and durability: typical of such tires are the Continental ContiTouring Contact CV95, the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, Goodyear Eagle RS-A (but not LS), and, yes, the Bridgestone Turanza EL 42 (and the presumably similar Turanza EL 41 as well as the recent Turanza EL 400).
    (Incidently, I recently replaced my EL 42's with Goodrich Traction T/A V tires, highly touted in the same surveys: I did not find much, if any, difference in dry handling and braking. Admittedly, handling in snow and rain was considerably better.)
    My point is that the Turanza El 42's are not bad as touring tires go --significantly better on favorable surfaces than the Goodyear Eagle LS tires (based on Consumer Reports tests). You could easily live with them unless you did a lot of driving in snow or heavy rain. The Eagle RS-A's are about the same in many respects (I have them on my Mazda Mazda3). And, yes, I do agree that replacing them with Bridgestone's Turanza LS-H or LS-V would be an improvement, but mainly in wet conditions. Finally, I'm not sure that true performance tires (say, the Michelin Pilot Sport) are a good idea for cars that are not really designed for very high speeds, and at-the-limit handling: until proven otherwise, I assume the Mazda CX-7, is, after all, an SUV (albeit sportier than most).
  • deaniedeanie Posts: 172
    Hi All:
    The tire thing is extremely annoying. For those who don't care too much about braking and handling of their CX-7, it doesn't matter which tire they get. For those who do (me for one - better braking and handling = more fun and a safer car), the availability of those vehicles with the better tires is greatly diminished, impacting our ability to find a CX-7 with the right color, tires and options we want.
    Regards,
    Deanie

P.S. Any comments on CX-7 vs. Oddysey & Murano SE aside from their obvious relative pricing and size advantages?
    Hi:
    Yes this is the CX-7 forum, and the CX-7 has tires, and tires are as crucial to the performance/braking/handling/safety/comfort of the CX-7 as a running shoe is to a runner or the strings are to a tennis racket, et al. Pro athletes don't use crappy equipment, so why should we?

Tires matter a lot and unless the dealer has a lot of profit in a sale (such as for the schmo willing to pay near MSRP or above), they won't "swap out the RS-A's for the Bridgestones because that costs a lot of money (time) removing 8 tires from 8 wheels, then mounting 8 tires to 8 wheels. That's a lot of work and a lot of opportunity for damaging a wheel of a new car in the process.

If you're smart and don't pay too much above invoice for this or any other Mazda (wait a month or three), there won't be enough profit in the deal for the dealer to swap the tires, and if there is, you're just tossing money out the window - especially for one of the first vehicles off the assembly line (build quality probs will likely crop up in the beginning). Yes, I know it's coming from Japan, but they make mistakes too.
    Regards,
    Deanie
    Some people change their tires the moment that they get their new car. I had an 02 SC430 with run flat and a lot of people don't like the run flat and replace them at the moment they picked up the car. A lot of car come with mulitple tires. I guess my point is that it is not such a big deal and there are multiple way to handle it. However, making it sound like such a big deal is more like my teenage daughter making a big deal out of a bad hair day. It is just not warrented.
  • honakerhonaker Posts: 74
    So, assuming I feel like replacing all 4 tires when I get my CX-7, what should I get? I know nothing about tires except that I have to make the numbers match. I don't know what a touring tire is vs any other kind.

If I go back to tirerack, and search on my size, P235/60 R18, then it's only showing me 3 tires available.

Goodyear Eagle RS-A@ $172 ea
    Michelin Pilot HX MXM4@ $194 ea
    Bridgestone Turanza EL42@ $163 ea

None of them seemed great, but according to their survey, yeah, the Turanza EL42 didn't seem to be good at anything.

So, is there a different way I should figure out what tire I might want to put on a new CX-7?

Thanks,
    James
    Thanks for your post, Satchmo, and for sharing your experience with the Bridgestone tires. You made several good points. I noticed you mentioned rain and snow handling a couple of times, and how the EL42's didn't perform as well in those conditions. But isn't at least one of the purposes of a CUV/SUV with AWD/4WD their increased traction in snow and rain? I don't need to go off-road, but my business requires me to be mobile regardless of the weather - one of the reasons I drive an SUV. I don't want that ability hampered by tires that have lower snow/rain capabilities. I suppose that's why I am so concerned about this issue and am looking for solutions.
    Agreed, if you're going to need to optimize handling under adverse road/weather conditions, then the Eagle RS-A edges out the EL 42. I suspect there are even better alternatives: I've not driven the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, but friends report that it's pretty decent all-around and holds up longer than some (it's OE in many Mazda6's). Likewise, while I've not driven the Pirelli Scorpion Zero, various surveys suggest it performs well, especially for AWD and 4WD vehicles.
    Just out of curiosity, have you considered the AWD Toyota RAV 4, say, with the powerful V6, as an alternative to the CX-7? To me, the less powerful CX-7 would seem like the better vehicle for driving and handling in its lighter, road-oriented 2WD version. But with the additional weight and friction of an AWD transmission, and used for more heavy duty driving in rough weather and on rough roads, I might opt for the stronger RAV4 V6.
    Anyhow, thanks for your input.
    "Just out of curiosity, have you considered the AWD Toyota RAV 4, say, with the powerful V6, as an alternative to the CX-7? To me, the less powerful CX-7 would seem like the better vehicle for driving and handling in its lighter, road-oriented 2WD version. But with the additional weight and friction of an AWD transmission, and used for more heavy duty driving in rough weather and on rough roads, I might opt for the stronger RAV4 V6."

I've given the matter some consideration and am also considering just hanging on to my Jeep or even getting another one. There are many factors in play:

1. I hate scheister auto dealers and won't do business with them. I walk out when I start getting double-teamed or I can sense a rip-off or high pressure or a scam. Sadly, all of the local Toyota and Nissan dealerships around here are part of the same scheister family chain of some 16 or 18 dealerships of various makes. I will NEVER, EVER do business with them. That factor alone has sadly disqualified Nissan and Toyota despite the fact that the Murano, the Highlander and the Rav-4 are all possible options for me.

2. My family and I like our Mazda dealer. We've bought 2 cars from them. They are sincere genuinely good people - perhaps among the last human beings in the auto business. As long as they have a model that fills my needs I'm happy to give them my business.

3. My family and I like our Mazdas. We have a 3 and a 6 and used to have a Miata.

4. I've been driving Jeeps for the last 10 years. They're great for what they are, but they're boring. I chomp at the bit for every opportunity to drive my wife's "6". Now that decent CUV's are coming out it's time for a vehicle that has has more of a fun factor while still fulfilling my SUV requirements. The CX-7 will probably fit that bill. The Rav-4 (and the Highlander) will probably not.

5. The Jeep is in great shape and isn't that old. The "common sense" part of me is telling me to just keep it. But the "little boy" in me is drooling over the CX-7.

This will all be easier to decide after a long test drive.
  • driverdmdriverdm Posts: 505
    Just out of curiosity, have you considered the AWD Toyota RAV 4, say, with the powerful V6, as an alternative to the CX-7? To me, the less powerful CX-7 would seem like the better vehicle for driving and handling in its lighter, road-oriented 2WD version. But with the additional weight and friction of an AWD transmission, and used for more heavy duty driving in rough weather and on rough roads, I might opt for the stronger RAV4 V6.

These two cars are commonly compared unfairly in my opinion. The Rav4 is not really cheaper than the CX-7. A base 4X4 V6 Rav 4 $23,735 and tjat os not comparitively equiped either. When choosing the RAV4, you are going to get slightly better acceleration and mpg, but it will cost more. So it is a cost/benefit analysis.
    Then go for the Mazda CX-7. Who needs the aggravation of a crappy dealership?
    My comment was based on the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that for the kind of driving lilarry was engaging in (presumably a fair amount of rain, mud and snow on secondary roads), the V6 RAV 4 would have more low-end grunt (whereas the Mazda CX-7, and especially the lighter 2WD version, would drive and handle better --be more fun-- on fast, smooth roads).
    Deanie, dealer would just find a car in their lot with the tire you want and take down the 4 tire with rim intact and swap them with the tire and rims in your vechicle. It take may be 5-10 minutes for them to move the car to the lift and perform the operation. There is no mounting involve.
    Hi Topgun7:
    You know, I used to think it was a simple thing for a dealer to do - just swap the desired tires/rims from one car to another, but my 05 Avalon XLS purchase, and my previous Nissan Maxima purchase taught me otherwise. Neither dealer was willing to do such a swap because of something to do with the specific rims having been issued with a specific car requires that they get sold together.

Sounds bizarre, but I asked to do a tire/rim swap on each of those cars to get the better tires and even initially walked out on the Toyota dealer - they let me go. Since then I've had no reason to believe the dealers weren't telling me the truth, but a few of the other posters have commented they've done the swaps in the past so I'll have to put my faith in you and them (and the dealers). I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Thanks for the input!
    Regards,
    Deanie
    Hi Topgun7:
    If the Turanza "bad hairday" didn't cost nearly $1,000 to remedy, I'd agree, but it does, so I don't (agree that is). C'mon, do you think it's trivial to throw away a grand to get what other buyers of the same car get with out spending one cent more? C'mon!

When a the buyer of a big bucks high-end lexus (assuming it was bought new/near new) wants to pony up for new tires right off the bat, it's not as big a deal for that buyer from a financial perspective as it would be for a CX-7 buyer (generally a less "well-heeled" individual). Besides, that $1,000 to do a CX-7 tire swap represents a greater percentage of the total outlay for the car than it would to do the Lexus tire swap, making the CX-7 tire swap relatively more expensive.

If money were no object, I'd get whatever I'd want, and it wouldn't be the CX-7, but $$$ is an object and I'd like to get the most for my money.
    Regards,
    Deanie
    It is interesting that your dealer did not want to swap for you. But if it is important to you, why not specified in your request for quote and make sure that they have the specific tire for you? Avalon and Maxima (and hopefully CX-7) are pretty high volume car and they should be able to find in either their inventory or someone's else inventory with the specific tire and option combination that your want. Dealer trade their car all the time to get options combination that customer want. Anyway good luck. If CX-7 don't work for you becuase of tire issue, there is always RD-X and Murano.
    Hi Topgun7:
    Now that we know for sure BOTH tires are available, the tire issue is no longer an issue it's just a little annoying or inconvenient.

The CX-7 does work for me, and it can be had with the better tires, it just means making sure the dealer will swap to get the color/option/tire choice desired. If the dealer won't, that's where the inconvenience comes in it means waiting a little longer to find what you want.

I'll probably have to buy before the RD-X and Infinity C35 come out - what a shame (deciding between the CX-7, Murano and Oddysey). As for my former Max and former Avalon, neither car could be found with the combination of color/options/tires desired at the time of purchase, and unfortunately both cars were bought out of immediate need so there wasn't time to wait around or search far outside my area.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • afishionadaafishionada Posts: 31
    Hi All,

Can someone please help out. I've been sorting thru the tire discussion, but I don't really understand it too well. Which tires should I ask for for the FWD version? I do not use my cars for any rough driving, but I do like a car that handles well. I am giving up my Integra for a wagon (reluctantly) and am trying to get as close to that drive as possible.

Also - WHERE ARE THE CARS? If someone knows of any around the NYC area, please let me know. All the dealers I have called are clueless so I called headquarters and they said sometime in June.

Thanks!
  • dave90dave90 Posts: 27
    If I were you, I would try both tires on my own roads and see if I like one better (handling, noise, whatever).

I have found that the combination of tire, car and road makes all the difference in the world. A "great tire" based on tire-rack or other reviews, might be noisy and have poor grip on your tire and in your neighborhood.

I think a lot of the comments hear are driven by a few people with an anti-Bridgestone bias. Bridgestone makes the OEM tire for the Ferrari Enzo, so I think they are perfectly capable of making tires, so I wouldn't let someone elses bias sway you.
  • buyingsoon2buyingsoon2 Posts: 10
    Anti-Bridgestone? C'mon.

Best tire I've ever had: Bridgestone Potenza Pole-Position S-03. Just awesome.

Worst tire I've eved had (by far): Bridgestone Turanza EL-42. ridiculously bad. Terrible. Awful. Dangerous.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    First, it should not cost $1000 to swap tires. The CX-7 uses the same ally wheels on all models whether AWD or FWD. The problem may be in availability -- 18" tires are not made by all companies in the size required.

The OEM tires are not worthless, the Mazda dealer or the tire dealer should give you an allowance on the OEM tires. The sooner you swap the better.

The difference between tires can be substancial in road holding wet or dry and ride smoothness.

And, yes, many Mazda Protegé owners found Bridgestone OEM tires to be the worst they had ever had on a car. For the Protegés they were prone to hydroplaning, were harsh riding, and bad in snow.

I drive less than they did so I learned from their experiences with various brands and series replacements. Then I consulted TireRack's reviews before buying. The best tire recommended by the reviewers I bought and was amazed how great they are -- Kuhmos, they are everything the Bridgestones were not and much cheaper.

If you read other Mazda forums here you can learn a great deal and when a CX-7 Forum opens log-on regularly.

fowler3
  • afishionadaafishionada Posts: 31
    Thanks fowler3 and others - this is all good to know. I'll check the other boards too. I don't mind putting out a few extra dollars to get the right tires, but I don't want to overpay either. I hope the cars are in soon - otherwise this will be a moot issue for me since I need to buy in the next week. The local dealers here in NY are telling me that no one gets a car until every dealer in the USA has one - crazy logistics.