Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    AWD costs more, but so does a full set of snow tires and rims. Over the life of the car, it might even end up adding up to the same amount or close.

Weight, yes, but nowadays that's down to 150 lbs in many cases. Not sure about the Haldex Mazda uses.

I realize the CX7's system is not full-time, but it acts when needed. Snow tires won't do squat if they're not mounted.

Snow tires' treads are very soft but are nothing like racing slicks. The tread blocks have tiny siphons that easily give, it takes almost no pressure from my fingers to fold them over on the set that I have.

You gain traction on ice and snow, but lose traction on dry pavement and rain, no doubt.

I agree about the temps.

-juice
  • russ_49russ_49 Posts: 54
    I have been waiting for mine to come in since I ordered it in December 05. I can tell you that the tires on the car, will be a "deal breaker" for me if it comes in with Bridgestones on it! I expect it to have the performance that has been advertised! I own an 02 Milli S, which came out of the factory with Dunlop's, when it was recently time to replace them, for me, there was no step down, and Dunlop's went on!

Mine that is on order is a fully loaded GT with the NAV package, i'll be hard pressed to drop $32 large ones, if they cut this deal, and went with garbage tires! It will be the first thing that I look at when the dealer calls me to let me know that it is in. I just may ask when I receive that call if it does have the Bridgestone's on it, and if it does, he can keep it! :mad:
  • driverdmdriverdm Posts: 505
    Easy russ, you may just want to ask the dealer to swap the tires as it seems that they are coming with both tires and it is not listed as a pay-for option in any brochures. You can't ditch the CX-7. I am looking forward to your review of it too much. :D
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I expect it to have the performance that has been advertised!

Where was it advertised that you get a specific brand tire? With the rare exception, I don't know of any model that specifically advertises a specific brand/type of tire.
  • syadastisyadasti Posts: 24
    It was advertised by the brochure photos, autoshows, and giving auto reviewers what was claimed was a production car. If you swap to cheaper tires, the performance isn't as advertised.

If he wanted a cost cutting mudane car, he'd get a Ford or Chevy :P
  • richmlrichml Posts: 156
    It is a production car with those tires.

What vehicles come in every configuration with exactly the same tires?
    Sounds to me like you made some assumptions...I'm a dealer and don't have any idea what brand tires are coming on the vehicle. I asked the factory rep and they didn't know either... I've got the brochure in front of me...the only pic that I can make out the tire brand is on the back inside cover and they look like Good Year's. It's also a Grand Touring model. Remember, it is very common for different trim levels to have different brand/model tires.
  • syadastisyadasti Posts: 24
    Don't play dumb.

Brochure - all pages with parked CX7's you can make out the tires:

pg. 5 - red CX7 - you can see Eagle RS A on the rear tire

Silver CX7 w/the 4-way split page - rear tire can see RS A and Goodyear and the front tire you can see Goodyear Eagle RS A

Red CX7 on last page w/accessories - can see Eagle RS on both front and rear tires.

All autoshows, could see all the tires and they were Goodyear Eagle. Various reviews mentioned the tire specifically and performance was benchmarked in the reviews with what was supposed to be a production spec'd car.
    All true, however, it's common knowledge that the press often drive PRE-production cars, not production cars.

The brochure is probably a teaser (is it?), I'm sure they'll create a new one for dealers to pass out. Check to see if it has any disclaimers about pre-production, I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

A-HA! Mine does!

It says:

PRODUCT CHANGES AND OPTIONS AVAILABILITY.
    Following publication of this brochure, certain changes in standard equipment, options, prices and the like, ...

Voila. Read the fine print. Actually it's not even fine print, it's full size. A lawsuit would only be tossed.

-juice
    first of all I'm not playing dumb so you need to keep your arrogant know it all attitude in check. I don't know a thing about tires and don't pretend to. I also said that in the pic I could see the tires were good years....which they are....

The most spcific thing about tires I could find...

P235/60 R18 H-rated all seson tires

No mention of brands...as usual.
    Yeah, it's a conspiracy, and audia8q is behind the whole thing, he has total control over the tire choice of Mazda. :D

C'mon now, give him a break. Read the disclaimer I found above.

A lot of things change from pre-production cars.

-juice
  • dave90dave90 Posts: 27
    I don't think this is even a change. As mentioned above, most cars come with a number of tires from the factory. Toyota's sometimes have even 4 or 5 different tires.

I think it is pretty clear that the CX-7 will come with both Goodyears and Bridgestones. Probably the Goodyears were available earlier, so they show up in the photos etc.

If you really hate Bridgestone, I'm sure the dealer will swap them out for the Goodyear's on another vehicle. Most likely other buyers won't care so much about brand. Heck they might even DRIVE the car with both types of tire before deciding which one is best.
  • topgun7topgun7 Posts: 409
    Syadatsi, sue Mazda if you think they deceive you. Ask the dealer to swap the tire if you like the other tire. I am not sure why you should give peopel such an atitude when they just try to help out and I don't know why you think Mazda try to deceive you.

I bought an RX300 a few year back and it came with 2 different tires also. I asked the dealer to swap the tire and they had no problem doing that. It is a common practice within the industry to have mulitple tire supplier for the same car. Is this your first car? Buying car is a happy occasion and if you truely don't like CX-7, may be an RDX is in your future.
    I got some further info on the tires.

Mazda is putting both Goodyears and Bridgestones on the CX-7 -- The two brands meet all the specs of the CX-7. The mix will be about half each, an even mix across all the trims and option packages. Even the first batches of cars from the factory have a mix of both...

The Goodyears were available for the preproduction vehicles and that's why they are in the shots in the brochure and on the cars the press drove.
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Audia8 is right, Of the five CX-7's that were delivered to my LA dealer today 5/21, four were on Goodyears image
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Wow the CX-7 still looks great even away from the spotlight of all the recent auto shows.

That pearl red really is the color for this car.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    You sound like a car salesman trying to sell Mazda's AWD system - I ain't buying it from the clueless

How was I trying to sell Mazda's AWD system?? lol...that comment tickled me, thank you!

Also 220 lbs. is not a chump change difference for handling.

I don't see where I mentioned that, either! lol

Show me some concrete evidence that the two different tires affect the CX-7 as much as you are claiming. (unfounded claim's might I add) You seem to be the only one who think's the Goodyear Eagle's are the main reason the CX-7 performed as it did. Just to let you know, if you have been reading, I did agree that tires affect handling, I just have yet to see any evidence backing up your claim specific to the CX-7. That's what this forum is, the CX-7.

Maybe for you, Mazda should change the name to the "Mazda Goodyear Eagle", then they won't be deceiving you. lol
    That red does look sharp. Thanks for checking on the tires. Thanks to audia8q as well for the info.

More proof that we should not jump to conclusions...

-juice
  • lilarrylilarry Posts: 13
    With all the back and forth on tires, I'm thinking I'd want the very best tires available for my CX-7. My Jeep Grand Cherokee came with Goodyear Wranglers on it, a firm truck/SUV tire. I wanted something that would give a gentler but sportier ride and decided to switch the tires to Goodyear Forteras. Our local Goodyear dealer was happy to swap the Wranglers for Forteras (as long as there were less than 500 miles on them). I am now on my second set of Fortera's and absolutely love them - on the Jeep.

If I can get a CX-7 with Eagles on it, I'm sure the local Goodyear dealer would swap them for the tire of my choice (only charging me the difference). I'm wondering how a CX-7 would perform with these Goodyear Fortera light truck/SUV tires.

Better yet, do Bridgestone/Firestone dealers do new car tire swaps? If so, I might consider swapping the Turanza EL42's for Turanza LS's. Unlike the EL42's, the LS's are supposed to be excellent tires - extremely quiet with exceptional handling and traction characteristics. In addition to being a far superior tire, they might also help ease the highway road noise problem.

Any thoughts?
  • satchmosatchmo Posts: 34
    First, I don't think the EL 42s are all that bad. I have owned a 2002 Accord LX coupe (V6) shod with these tires for the first 30K miles (my wife the primary driver): they were very smooth and fairly quiet on good, dry roads (which constitutes maybe 90% of my driving)and were good handling (notably quite sticky in corners). The down side was that traction in heavy rain and (even light) snow was mediocre at best --especially after the tires had more than 10K of wear. They were also quite noisy on concrete surfaces and over rain-grooves. So why did they fare so badly in Tirerack's survey (I ascertained that only 22% of respondents said they would buy again)? I can't answer for sure, but I conjecture that Tirerack's constituency are mostly a very sporty and demanding bunch --I notice that very few OE (original equipment) tires, especially on a sporty/upscale models, meet with their(Tirerack's client's) general approval. So for cars like the Camry Solara Convertible, the Acura TL, or the BMW 745 Li, all of which carried OE Turanza EL 42 tires, the minority of owners for whom handling is THE priority are not going to be happy & will order more performance oriented tires as replacements (presumably from Tirerack). Typically these upscale or premium but sporty cars (though not pure sporty or sports cars)are shod with tires that are a compromise between quietness, smoothness, performance on good roads, reliability and durability: typical of such tires are the Continental ContiTouring Contact CV95, the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, Goodyear Eagle RS-A (but not LS), and, yes, the Bridgestone Turanza EL 42 (and the presumably similar Turanza EL 41 as well as the recent Turanza EL 400).
    (Incidently, I recently replaced my EL 42's with Goodrich Traction T/A V tires, highly touted in the same surveys: I did not find much, if any, difference in dry handling and braking. Admittedly, handling in snow and rain was considerably better.)
    My point is that the Turanza El 42's are not bad as touring tires go --significantly better on favorable surfaces than the Goodyear Eagle LS tires (based on Consumer Reports tests). You could easily live with them unless you did a lot of driving in snow or heavy rain. The Eagle RS-A's are about the same in many respects (I have them on my Mazda Mazda3). And, yes, I do agree that replacing them with Bridgestone's Turanza LS-H or LS-V would be an improvement, but mainly in wet conditions. Finally, I'm not sure that true performance tires (say, the Michelin Pilot Sport) are a good idea for cars that are not really designed for very high speeds, and at-the-limit handling: until proven otherwise, I assume the Mazda CX-7, is, after all, an SUV (albeit sportier than most).