Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Test Drives

SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
edited March 6 in Mazda
Did you test drive the Mazda CX-7? Thoughts?

Comments

• afishionadaafishionada Posts: 31
    I test drove the Sport AWD today (with the Goodyears). Liked the drive A LOT - great cornering, great brakes and nice acceleration. It really was fun to drive. I am used to driving an Integra, and it was close enough to satisfy me. I liked the leather seats in the Grand Touring model, but not the cloth ones in the Sport - they were too soft and squishy. I thought the back seat was tolerable - unlike some of the reviews I had read - it is a little firm but I like that and there seemed to be decent leg room for a tall person. What I did not like were little things: (1) the vents had to be pushed back and forth with your fingers - no lever to control the direction (why?); (2) the heated seat were either on or off - no ability to control the amount of heat. Also, I think that only the seat bottoms heat, not the backs. Would also prefer electronic adjustments on the passenger seat, which is not an option.

I am waiting until the FWD comes in to try that. I am also grappling with the mileage/premium gas issue. It is not so much the cost but my dislike for having to fill up frequently.

Curious to see what others think.
  • kaalimakaalima Posts: 2
    I just got a call from my dialer in Forth Myers fl and I test drove the cx7. First the car was with Bridgestone tires, witch is not a problem for me .the car feels and handles perfect. With the 2.3 turbo 244hp and 250 torque I got to say that they really got the zoom-zoom in it. I was able to drive Rav4, Murano, fx35 and many more from the same class cars but I got to say that the cx7 is the best for its money – the look the shape and the power! Zoom-zoom guys!
  • rinarmrinarm Posts: 10
    First, permit me to provide my current rides. 2005 Tribute S AWD, 2005 RX-8 GT MT6, 1985 MB 300SD. When I went for the test drive, I drove the Tribute because I wanted a SUV comparison. Bottom line, the Tribute will be replaced next week with the tested CX-7.

Here's my brief review.

Vehicle - AWD GT, Galaxy Gray w/Sand interior, Moonroof/Bose package, Goodyear tires.

Test Route - Over 20 miles on Freeway, city, and country roads.

Looks - Better than the pictures, bigger than expected, but not huge (I once owned an Expedition).

Interior - Roomy, well appointed (excellent materials), cool displays (it even displays the transmission gear number when in automatic), excellent controls positioning and access, excellent visibility (hey man, where's the hood?), quiet (my RX has summer tires), very comfortable front seats, back seats adequate (I'm six feet tall), easy and plentiful cargo access (includes a full size inside spare).

Handling - This is what it is all about, firm but comfortable ride, very responsive, it's not an RX-8, but for an SUV it's great (big grin on face), no noticeable body role on curvy rural roads, comfortable responsive freeway cruising.

Engine - Not loud (yes, it is a four cylinder and it has a turbo and I already know what it's like to buy premium fuel), surprisingly more power than expected based upon the size of the vehicle and previous reviews, turbo lag was insignifant.

Brakes - Very responsive, straight ahead.

Price - Less than $30K.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I had one for the weekend and my thoughts are very similar to yours....This is going to be a winner for Mazda.
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 765
    I think it will be a winner as well. Like to hear more real world driving impressions, especially around MPG.

It's a great looking car and the interior is done extremely well. I thought the fit, finish and materials were spot on for a car in this price range.

The only negative I can see is the powertrain. The lack of a non-turbo that would not require premium fuel and get better MPG may turn off a few folks. Car and Driver clocked a 7.9 0-60 and 14 MPG (14!!!) in their test this month. Of course, that was over the course of some severe flogging. If it returns the 18-19 EPA rating that should be solid enough to entice more than a few buyers.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They're lead foots, didn't their RAV4 get 16? EPA highway for that model is 27mpg!

-juice
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 765
    I wish they would include a normal driving cycle in their tests rather than calculating the MPG off of all of the drving they do that includes the hard acceleration etc.

I understand that they want to push the car, and I'm interested to know how it performs in that manner, but I'm more interested in MPG this day and time before I'd put down almost 30k of my $$ for a vehicle.

Wonder if the 14MPG figure will scare off any passing readers?

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Like to hear more real world driving impressions, especially around MPG.
    Picked up our CX-7 on 5/31. First tank of fuel we got 18.7 MPG with 330 mi range. This was about 70% city and 30% highway with many short trips. I know that fuel consumption should improve after we get a few miles on her.
    We are going on a trip up the California Coast starting on the 24th of this month. I'm sure we should get some mid twenty numbers on the highway. GT fwd with A/C on.
  • music287music287 Posts: 116
    We're in the market for a 5-seat, awd, upscale cuv. I test drove a cx-7 Grand Touring today (as it includes HID headlights...a must!) and here's my impressions. The pickup though noisy is impressive and cruising at 70 mph was very quiet. The braking is excellent and the car has a full complement of safety features, standard. I like that! The car specifies premium gas though the dealer said it is recommended, not required. The hvac doesn't offer passenger/driver independent temps and the spare tire, though apparently full sized is a temporary. Fit and finish seem...Japanese and the warranty seems fair. The heated seats are either on or off w/ no regulation. The cargo area seems ample though the seat backs don't fold flat. The premium radio sounded good.

I need to see the upcoming Acura rdx and the Lincoln mkx. I don't think there are too many similar vehichles out there yet. The Rav 4 doesn't offer xenon headlights which, for us makes it a non-starter.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The braking is excellent

boy your not kidding. World class brakes.

I was playing with the buttons and the traffic in front of me had stopped...well i pushed the brakes to the floor and my eyeballs flew out of their sockets....I never got to test the airbags but the braking ability amazed me. Compared to this vehicle, most SUV brakes will seem sub-par.
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    Oh, I've already test-driven the car and had a ball doing so! The turning radius on my Lexus RX300 is horrible, so I took the CX-7 into a parking lot and basically did some donuts. It did admirably, I'm pleased to say.

My husband then spent the next 3 days doing amazing research regarding pricing and financing and by yesterday, we'd reached an acceptable price for the car. I'm going back to the dealer this Saturday to do all the paperwork and in essence, to purchase the car! Am very excited! The funny thing is, Lexus just called me a few moments ago to let me know they're running some specials but I happily told them that I'll simply be giving my car back to them...the guy was shocked that I'd decided not to purchase or lease another one. Well, not when I can get a fully loaded CX-7 for about $13K less!! :blush:
    I took the CX-7 into a parking lot and basically did some donuts

That sounds like fun. ;)

-juice
    It was quite fun! I was just happy to be driving a car that didn't feel like an ocean liner!! :shades:
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    "Did you read that Madge? I'm positively shocked that someone would publicly state that Mazda is better than a LEXUS!"

LOL :P

Vince.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my Lexus - it was, and still is, an excellent vehicle. It never set a foot wrong in four years. It started every time I turned the key. It got me safely through some very nasty New England winters. And it was damn comfortable and luxurious to boot.

However, the price has simply gotten too rich for my blood. I'm not naive enough to think that after making the same lease payments since 2002 that the price wouldn't change upon leasing or buying something new. But I was completely flabbergasted at just HOW much more I'd have to pay. I'm a "spender" by nature, but I could not in good conscience pay as much as Lexus was asking; and that was even with some "deal" they were offering. A good chunk of what I find so attractive about the CX-7 is the value I'm getting, as per my standards.
    A neighbor also had sticker shock. Had the first gen RX, went back for another, but it cost a lot more. They ended up with a Highlander.

-juice
    Sorry about the tease...couldn't resist.

Understand perfectly what you're talking about. One of the best selling points for the CX7 is it's value. The CX7 is routinely compared with the Murano and from what I've read, a similarily equipped Murano costs thousands more.

Vince.
  • thom_ythom_y Posts: 6
    I recently replaced my aging (i.e. original 1998) ML320 with a CX-7. In our quest to find a replacement vehicle, we looked at virtually every SUV/CUV and even wagons. My wife was initially keen on Toyota and wanted the Highlander. My opinion was that it was "plain vanilla". Sure it has all the bells and whistles you might expect in a "luxury" 'SUV', but the styling and ride was purely uninspiring -- i.e. vanilla (not that there is anything bad 'bout homemade vanilla icecream). I was keen on the BMW X3, but the dealer here has a terrible reputation. In the end, I thought the CX-7 provided great value, with a ride as inspiring as the X3, and with style to boot. My only beefs about the vehicle:

1) the bit of turbo lag takes a bit of time to get used to (esp for front passenger)
    2) no roof rails to install Yakima or THule mounts
    3) no iPod integration option.

Personally, I feel riding my CX-7 is much more fun than the ML320 truck ever was. I don't know why there are so many Mercs out there. I bought my mine just as these luxury 'utes' starting arriving. There were no BMWs etc. only ML320 vs. Lexus.
    RE your comment about rails - did you know there's an accessory catalog specific to the CX7? In it, they sell the rails and if I'm not mistaken, Yakima racks for bikes (I didn't examine the catelog in detail, just thumbing through it, so I could be mistaken about the Yakima racks). Go back to the dealer and ask.

Vince.
  • thom_ythom_y Posts: 6
    Unfortunately, they only offer crossbars, but not siderails. Crossbars are not as functional for installing all Yakima or Thule mounts. Siderails, allow you to install Yakima or Thule crossbars easily and then anything can be mounted on the roof.
This discussion has been closed.