Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Audi Q7 Owners Give us Your Report

Comments

• sjs2sjs2 Posts: 3
    Finally audi service figured out the problem with the advanced key function concerning the doors. At first they were questioning if there was really a problem but my persistence was successful. They determined that there was a weak signal emitted by the main transmitter. This transmitter is located near the ignition and is responsible for sending out a signal to the doors. When it was replaced problem was solved.
  • ny_driverny_driver Posts: 18
    Have less than 800 miles on my Q7 4.2 non-premium. Picked her up in Feb. So far, so good. Have not run into any problems posted in some of the earlier posts.

Car drives/handles wonderfully. I added the 19in wheels and no problems with bumps, etc. No problems with acceleration/breaking. Sometimes you forget you are in a large SUV on the road, it feels like a much smaller vehicle. All the technology works and makes sense. NAV is simple, although it isnt touch screen, I've gotten the handle of it. The bluetooth works with our Razr phone so no issues there.

With the recent snow/ice in NYC , it was a pleasure to drive my Q7. :)

Thus far, my only issue is gas mileage. I'm averaging 13mpg but have been doing more city driving so probably makes sense. Cant wait to do a long cruise.
  • homantaghomantag Posts: 21
    I found a solution!! Going through many many many (did I say "many") sites, I found out that the Pearl has a software release available in Italy (not yet released in the U.S.), which although not specific for this particular purpose, happens to fix the bluetooth connectivity issue for my Audi Q7.

It is the version available for TIM, v4.2.1.66 is what I have, and it is working fine here in the U.S. You should go through (and there is a lot of reading, but worth it), and follow the following forum: Blackberry Forum 8100 TIM Italy Release

Good Luck!!
  • acharmeracharmer Posts: 6
    BUYING

Used to own a Jeep GC. The itch to buy the Q7 in Aug 06 pushed me into a PacWest dealership that rhymes with terrier. Excellent sales person, who went thru inventory with me to identify the stock number with the options I wanted (Q7 4.2 Quartz Gray Metallic 20” Continentals Adv Key Air Susp CWP PTA –tech pack 1D6 – tow pack included).

Closed on the deal 3 days later after haggling on detail over email & phone. Next day, sales person ensured a 2 hour vehicle walkthrough before I could drive out – I really appreciated that later. Contracts person messed up on something which we found out a week later, but dealer took responsibility for the error.

OWNING & DRIVING

Now, 8000 miles & 8 months later, the Q7 is still a head turner and a very sophisticated performer in city, on highway, in rain and on snow / ice. Avg. mileage is 16 MPG & I stomp on the gas – the initial hesitation exists & is a good safety moment, if you will. Beyond that moment, unless the little SPEED alarm rings, it’s all an elegant rush.

The Q7 is very very sure footed in all surfaces, specially the wet where you could feel confident doing 20 MPH or 70 MPH. Living the PacWest means slick driving comfort is absolute essential & I’ve accelerated out of 70MPH to overtake in very slick conditions with ease. The Q7 & I mucked around in the mountains on snow, ice, sleet and the combo of Air Susp Quattro ESP put together made sure I had no uncontrollable slides at low speeds. 2 slow slides into the snowed over fences did not scratch the body – a plastic grill thingie popped & had to be pushed back. Air Susp rules big time & makes the ride as well as CORNERING (sometimes I think it curves itself around corners, especially when you watch your own adpative headlights curve too in the dark!) very luxurious / stable on all surfaces – leave it in ‘Dynamic’ mode, unless you are a DIY type. When you park & leave the car, you can hear discrete hisses as Air Susp settles the body down, like a polished robot / beast or aircraft. Reverse hisses when you open the doors next as the body rises – nice sound effects 

Love the solid construction (its way larger inside that it looks outside, solid body & doors), utility (intuitive controls – accelerate from stop back into a cruise setting you set prior to stopping w/o switching off cruise, Side Assist – very practical & works reliably) and thought into all the finish details (white footlights, glove cooler). Adv. Key usage is simple, Bluetooth integration was a breeze on my TMO SDA, Samsung phones & the voice integration for phone / voice activation is perfect . I put all the seats down to transport a crateful of fine art one day (twelve paintings, between 5’ x 5’ & 4’ x 5’) - (clue - put the largest one in first, flat on the bottom , coz the roof tapers quickly).

WHAT CAN IMPROVE

Minor Electricals, MMI

1. Couple of times the audio section of MMI lost the stereo DSP Bose setting inexplicably & blared in monoaural mode(I opted to stop the Q7 & restart the Q7 to return to original setting)
    2. On another occasion or two ‘engine start’ did not deliver any result (I pressed Stop & tried again – it worked)
    3. On one other occasion the MMI did not proceed beyond launch (same strategy – stop, re-start & it works fine).
    4. One yet another occasion, I had a warning light start up after some TipTronic action (went away after restart).
    5. Wish I had the AMI kit ready to go for the Q7 – it would be way more fun than my Belkin charger / player. I’m really looking forward to that.
    6. The great sales person QUIT & though I’ve never needed any dealer support (xcept for a valet key provided at no charge ), I’m thinking I might never get the same experience again at the dealership. Time will tell & maybe the rep will re-join.

The Q7 is a keeper for now - I hope you all appreciate the detailed post. LMK if you have any specific questions. Enjoy your Q7 !
  • chan345chan345 Posts: 2
    Hi everybody!!!I live in south florida, and a friend who own a dealership let me drive a new Q7 for about 2 months,while my current car a VW was at the shop because of an accident i had. I fell in love with the Q7 so bad, that now I want to buy it. My concern here is that every time I mention to anyone about getting an audi they always say that AUDI has the worst customer service ever, they won't give you a rental of equal value; there is no Audi parts distributor in the USA, so every little thing will take at least 2 weeks; very hard to get an appointment for the shop; I also heard that AUDI has no reliability, that AUDI is very bad, that for the same price you should get a mercedes ML350; anyways...Im still in love with that car, but my husband is concern about all this bad comments about it. I want to know if anyone had problems like this. Everybody says I should consider the new Acura MDX, "those are really good cars with no problems at all", for me the Acura is nice, but is just another suv, nothing special.
    Any help will be appreciated.
  • hoosbesthoosbest Posts: 39
    I think you are way overthinking this. Just depends on your local dealer. The two ML dealers by us are horrible and the MB car reliability speaks for itself. I have had no issues when needing parts.
  • chan345chan345 Posts: 2
    thank you very much for your comment; you are right, I am overthinking, actually I am getting obsessive about finding cars information, I am spending like 4 to 5 hours a day browsing in the internet, just to realize that all cars have problems; but at this point I am so confuse that I am about to quit researching and just go for it. I think the AUDI is a beautiful car, I dont know anything about cars, so for me, all kind of help is appreciated.
    OWNING & DRIVING UPDATE

1. 9K+ Miles & counting fast - nothing major to report. Driver side window squeaks a little as it rolls up.
    2. My Q7 reports 14.2 MPG consistently, not 16 MPG as I reported incorrectly earlier (on April 05).
    3. The great sales person is BACK !! albeit at the OTHER (UNIV) Audi dealership.
    4. Love the multi- purpose INFO screen embedded in the dash (between speedo & tacho), that lets me manage the MMI functions & the NAVI (route map) without having to glance at the central (big) screen. I can't wait to see what Audi's nextgen 'heads-up' display projected on the windshield will be like - some high end Mercs already have that.
    5. Fitting a full golf bag in the back - lessons learned : does not slide in lengthwise (with last 2 seats down, as clubs stick out & trunk door does not latch), so stick it in widthwise, at the outer edge of the trunk area above the tray (the trunk tapers inwards, so you can't push it further back against the second row seats). Lay it on its side, so the trunk privacy screen can roll over comfortably.

Question for the FORUM : Whatever happened to the Q7 AMI kit ?

The Q7 AMI been reported in the press a year ago (as a separate kit for 2007 Q7s), US availability was scheduled for Jan 2007, its even listed in the Audi accessories magazine mailed to everyone, but the dealer still doesn't have them in stock. I believe 2008 Q7s come with AMI integrated & therefore do not need the kit.

If anyone has gotten the Q7 AMI kit installed in the US or a 2008 Q7 with AMI integrated, please drop a note on its functionality & usability.

Safe driving !
  • bfeldstein1bfeldstein1 Posts: 14
    My 2007 Q7 was just delivered and came with the factory installed AMI. I love it! It houses my iPod and all the iPod finctions can be controlled from the MMI screen. It lists albums, songs, artists, etc. The sound is amazing! My iPod never sounded so good.
    Sweet ! Thanks for your quick feedback on the AMI kit.

I'm told the Q7 AMI design created the best iPOD integration amongst European autos - I'm tired of the Belkin FM tuner work-around for my iPOD, even though sound quality still rocks over the radio waves.

Is your Q7 AMI kit installed in the central storage console between the driver & passenger seats or is it installed in the passenger glove box area ?
    Go with something you will enjoy. Life is too short and you will probably be happy wither way. I did a lot of research too - and you will most likely get something that you will love and probably be reliable - no matter what manufacturer. I went from a Volvo XC90 to the Audi Q7 and couldn't be happier.
  • aveghteaveghte Posts: 68
    Hoosbest,

How do you like the driving and handling of the Q7 vs the XC90 and did you use the third row of either vehicle?

I am looking at both cars and I find the engine and transmission are better on the Q7 but that the XC90 drives more like a car (if only the V6 engine of the XC90 wasn't so overmatched by the weight of the car and there weren't so many reports of transmission failures!)
  • sachsisachsi Posts: 13
    The third row is marginally better in the Q7 vs. the '07 XC90 (pre-07 XC90s have less room in the third row, I guess because the second row can't slide forward as far). The driving dynamics are good in the XC90 vs. excellent in the Q7 and that becomes obvious on anything other than a short drive.
  • rmac81rmac81 Posts: 1
    Overall fantastic car. I was a little disappointed in that I purchase cell phone package only to find that newest cell phones don't fit the cradles that Audi markets.
    No comparison on handling. We had the T6 in the XC90 and have the 3.6 Premium now. The Audi handles very tight - the Volvo sorted floating on the road with too much give in the steering for me. Overall, the Audi is much more heavier - and feels more solid and safe. They are about the same in power to me. Audi is much better built with better finish. XC90 resale was horrible. While they state the residuals are high (if you do not lease) - no dealer, including Volvo wanted to give anything close to Blue Book. My car was 3 years old with 25K - and perfect shape.

Volvo is cheaper - but happy to be done with it. Just too unreliable.
  • jamiem4jamiem4 Posts: 23
    Just picked up our Q7 3.6 Premium from a great dealership in Cleveland, Ohio (don't worry - we live half in the US, half in Munich). Wonderful salesman, wonderful dealership, wonderful vehicle. We've had many BMWs (740iL, 750iL, 745Li), a Range Rover and two Land Rovers...but this was the best 10hr ride and fun we've had in a long time. We usually order our BMWs from Germany however the X5 didn't seem like it was going to quite make it in January in the North of Germany. Never thought I'd be an Audi convert but the time has come!
  • chitownq7chitownq7 Posts: 17
    Hey jamiem4-I picked up my Q at the same dealership as you did, and I agree, they were great. It was worth the 5 hour ride to/from Chicago, especially on the way back in our Q!
  • larislaris Posts: 11
    I know you posted this a while ago, but do you still love your Q7? I'm a V8 Touareg owner (04) ...we have 3 in the family although my husband upgraded his to a V10 TDI. We have loved these cars BUT mine has been rife with stupid problems. The worst of which is the battery which has been replaced twice and still dies as it did this morning on me in a ferry line up! We are fed up and nearing the end of our lease so I have been looking into the Q7 for a while. I found a 4.2 Premium S line at a great price and I am really tempted. I have however read some of these blogs and am now feeling a little deflated. Our other choice ( which we dismissed as we found that Mercedes was vastly behind the times with air ride, all wheel drive etc.) was the GL450. Care to lend your thoughts?
  • larislaris Posts: 11
    OK, now 7 months later, still great? Might get a 4.2 S-Line in the next week, had it with my trouble ridden V8 Touareg ( which I still love anyway....sigh). Before I get myself into the same situation, I am researching!!!
    Is the air ride standard on the 4.2? It doesn't seem to be available on any car I look at listed across the States...I wonder if they don't list it as an option because it is standard...?
  • Ahhhh! Don't 'just get it tinted'... Heat gain is primarily via IR which tinting doesn't do anything against. I did a lot of research on this years ago and don't have it at my fingertips, but you want a coating specifically designed for heat rejection - and that will mean IR blocking. I would spend some time on it and find a really good place that does laminations - with a car like this you don't want some junky laminate that cracks and comes up. If you find a good place it should be good for years - like OEM, and at worst to maintain the quality of the Q7 in general, it is possible you would have to replace it every 3 years or so, not sure.

I would have thought they would choose a glass that already does this - maybe you can find if that is the case already, as it could be and in that case another coating may not help and tinting would only help a bit.

Oh - just found some notes from the research I had done a while ago.

http://www.formulaone.com/

is one place with laminates that are considered of good quality, not like what you buy at the car place down the street (and which will come up and crack relatively quickly - especially if on the top and in direct 110 deg sun). Yeah, they even have heat rejection numbers on each laminate.

Good luck!