Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle CVT Transmissions

Comments

• Hey I'm with you ours has 62k and the same thing happened to us. Did Ford provide any assitance? We can't belie it went out at 2k over the warranty. Not sure if we should let the dealer fix it.
  • I got lucky because I was at 56K miles. They told me I was within the Fords powertrain warranty which is 60K miles or 5 years. I was at 56K and my 5 years will end next April. The dealership traded it in as nothing was wrong since Ford will fix it and I got a Navigator. I could have gotten it fixed myself, but this seems to be an ongoing problem and would probably just happen again so I got rid of it before I reached my 60K and was stuck with it. I hope they figure someone out soon for those of you over 60K miles.
  • I've gone ahead and filed a complaint with the NHTSA and the class action suit. Everybody needs to do the same. There is only about 250 complaints on the NHTSA; we need to have a lot more to get anything done.

My vehicle "lurches" when it is hot; and you go from 'park' to any drive gear. Even with the brake pedal depressed; it'll 'jump' or 'lurch' while the engine revs up. Then the wrench light comes on.
  • snoop3snoop3 Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    My car is doing the same thing and this is the 4th transmission issues I have had since 2008 (3 just since dec 2010). The first in 2008 which ford replaced under warranty (not sure if it was replaced with a new one). The second was replaced in Dec 2010 but with a used one which only lasted for 28 days and then the business that supplied this transmission replaced it because it was less than 30 days purchased (under their business warranty). I am now having problems with it again. The lundging fwd and now the wrench sign is on. I am taking it to a dealer on monday but I already know that it is transmission issues again. This car is making me sick from stress. I have tried to trade it in but the book value of the vehicle is low (max is $6000) due to ford no longer making the vehicle. Parts are hard to find for it. I would never advise anyone to buy a ford as they would not assist me at all during any of my transmission problems.
  • We are having the lurching issue as well on super hot days, the dealer claims there is nothing wrong.

We had to have our transmission replaced at 78,000 miles, we had purchased the extended warranty, but it was only good until 75,000 miles. Ford was very unhelpful through this process, kept saying that his was an issue that they were shocked by, like we were the only ones experiencing this problem.

I did file a complaint with the NHTSA. Hoping they can do something regarding both issues.
  • I'm having the whine problem with my 06 freestyle awd to the extent that I've traded on a new Subaru Forester. Ford service said no parts are available and a new tranny would would be $7K plus. What gets me is that I had the lurch and rev problem as well as the falling into 'failsafe' mode issues last year, along with the same whine. I paid about $700 Canadian for a new throttle control module and everything was fine. I even went to Florida and back. Now the whine has returned with a vengance. I had the same service dept run the computer check on my car and it comes back clean. However, why did changing the module fix the whining before? I'm thinking there is some sort of feedback issue with the computer programming for the throttle control module that may be causing the transmission wear. Pure speculation on my part but, while I realize correlation is not necessarily causation, the parallel issue and fix the first time is bothersome. Not to mention that my wife is in full-flight conspiracy mode regarding Ford on this issue. (Notice we didn't buy another Ford.) FYI I have 190 thousand kilometres on the car and have loved it dearly and hate to part with it. The potential safety issue is such though, that I won't keep it to give to my sons to drive.
  • I forgot to mention I found the problem to be temperature sensitive too, hotter the day, louder the whine.
  • So regarding my last post the transmission has gone again while on holidays. Sad and so stressful. so now i have a car without a transmission, a car loan on that care and Ford Motors Canada is telling me that they no longer make the CVT transmission so I cant get one and that they are sorry that such a thing has happened to me but they cannot help me. We have tried every where (incl ebay) for a used one with no luck and that might be because of all the other people having the same transmission problems. I have asked W5 (Canada's largest private broadcaster) to investigative this issue for me. No company should have the ability to build something that cannot be fixed. Ford should have had to recall when they knew there was a problem instead of discontinuing the car and the parts. I feel robbed!
  • So sorry for you! All of us on here can relate. There are no new transmissions out there, they only rebuild them somehow and then charge a butt load of money for it. Getting your broadcaster involved may really be a good thing! Hope you have some more positive results.
  • We are also having issues with our 2005 Freestyle "CVT" transmission. Made sevaral calls and visits to Ford, They say theres nothing they can do for us, we have tried getting the trans fixed, but most parts are hard to find and very expensive, Why would Ford make this kind of trans, then not have the parts to fix it? And why are their parts so expensive ? Im VERY disappointed with Ford, and will never purchase another car from them ! Now what are we suppose to do with the Freestyle that sits in our garage, the body and inside are in perfect shape, hate to have to junk the car. With the economy the way it is, we all cant just go out and buy new cars. i believe that Ford needs to recall the freestyles and fix them!
  • Does anyone know if there is a lawsuit in place for WV?? My 2006 has been doing the same thing for months now. No shop has told me what the problem is, but looks like you all know.
  • A class action lawsuit was filed in May against Ford regarding the throttle body issues on the ... accidents. You can go to www.girardgibbs.com for more information. The more the attorney hears from us the better the chance they will add the transmissions issues to the suit.

We NEED to get as many people as we can to get this issue addressed. Email them and tell them what happened to you.

BTW, I need a top motor mount now. Unbelievable what I have gone through with this car. :mad:
  • Have you tried here: http://www.car-part.com/, for a used transmission.

Hope this helps, JaCarr
  • ajc718ajc718 Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. It was reported to the gov for their recall investigation. With mine the lurching is only when AC is on. I have never had a tranny problem. we did change throttle plate once this seemed to stop for a while i thought but latter found it was the AC triggering this malfunction.
  • I bought my 2007 Freestlye in April 2009. I absloutely loved. This past spring (March 2011) it began randomly surging. Even with my foot on the brake it would lunge forward. There were many times it put me in the middle of an intersection or just millimeters away from the hitting the car infront of me. It was very unsafe for me to keep putting my two small children in. My husband (who knows his way around cars) took off the throttle body and cleaned it. That seemed to help until now. It started doing it again but the transmission has gone out. This car is a NIGHTMARE!!!!! I still owe 7100 on the piece of crap that needs a new (but not really new since they don't make them anymore) transmission. And its only worth about 6000 with a working transmission. I feel like Ford needs to step up and right their wrong! They knew :mad: the issues and failed to fix them.....well I guess they fixed it (in their book) by discontinuing the transmission but that leaves us owners SCREWED!!!!! IM BEYOND FRUSTRATED. I did contact the attorney (even though I'm in Georgia) back in April. I urge anyone having these issues to contact him as well. Something needs to be done.
  • My husband replaced the top motor mount in my car a few months ago. He made it using another model cars something or other. Let me check with him. It was only an $8 fix.
  • sindersinder Posts: 37
    :blush: YAY !!!

NHTSA Looking into Ford Freestyle Unintended Acceleration

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating 170,000 2005 through 2007 model year Ford Freestyle’s after 18 crashes caused by “lunging.” No injuries have been attributed to the abnormal vehicle behavior, however.

The Ford Freestyle abnormally lunges forward even when drivers didn’t have their feet on the gas pedal says the reports. Hitting the brakes will stop the lunging, however.

The unexpected lunging has been tied to having the steering wheel turned hard left or right, as well as an apparent increased occurrence if operating the vehicle’s air conditioning system. The lunging reportedly only occurs at low speeds in both reverse and forward gears.

The investigation will not include the refreshed Ford Taurus X that replaced the low selling Freestyle in 2008. The lunging only occurs with the Freestyle’s 3.0-liter V6, and not with the Taurus’ 3.5-liter V6.
  • I discovered something about my Freestyle yesterday. When I got into the driver's side of the car, I noticed this thing hanging down on wires near where my knees would be. I looked at it, and it looked like some plastic thing with wires that needed to fit back onto the piece it was attached to. So, I recapped the dangling thing, and drove out of the parking lot. I hadn't gotten very far, when my car did not want to go. I thought Oh, dear, it's the transmission again. I pulled into another parking lot, and then uncapped whatever the dangling object was near my knees. The car drove just fine after that. Can anyone tell me what this object is? Thanks.
    Cindy, 2007 owner with replaced transmission and throttle body
  • I'm seeing that there are some upset Freestyle owners out there, and I feel sorry for your predicaments, however, you won't get that from me. I own a 2005 with 130,000 miles and have not had ANY problem with it. I suppose changing the oil every 3,000 miles helps. I also understand that ANY car is just another machine with moving parts, and thus will require maintenance and care to keep it running in top performance. Excellent job FORD! Another satisfied customer!
  • sindersinder Posts: 37
    @ buddy70,

We're not saying every Freestyle that came off the line has tranny problems and I'm glad yours has served you well.

However, more than "some" Freestyle owners, who have also "maintained" their vehicles, have experienced surges, replaced transmissions @ over &5K, & have almost been in or have been in an accident due to the transmission. Well, we see the Freestyle just a little differently than you.
    Besides, if this was actually an "Excellent" design by Ford, they would not have discontinued them. We're not talking about just changing up the design.... No, Ford went three years and OUT on these.
    Go figure :sick:
    Sinder