Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle CVT Transmissions

Comments

• I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle. It has less than 50,000 miles on it. I've read a lot about the lunging problems and thankfully this is not something I have experienced with my car. However, during the winter, if the driving conditions are very snowy, snow covered roads....my car does not shift properly. It will accelerate to about 20mph and then "clunk" and downshift. Then again after accelerating to near 40mph it will do it again and the wrench and engine light come on. This never happens in dry, hot, wet or any other kind of weather. Restarting the car will reset the wrench (engine light stays on). Anyone else having a problem like this? We did get the throttle body "recall" but have not had that done yet as our problem doesn't really sound like what others are experiencing.

Dianna
  • I am having exact same issue you describe with my 2005- I did get the throttle body work done.... so not sure what is going on...
  • We got this vehicle September 2011. We had the throttle replaced a month later and by July 2012 the transmission was gone. So this vehicle has been parked since then, while we continue to pay on it every month. Pretty crappy when you have to worry about your husband being deployed and not having a car. When is Ford going to fix this?!
  • For pbay. I know your original post is old, but what happened. Did they put a new main computer in for you and it fixed the problem? When you say main computer, are you referring to the Engine Control Module (ECM Computer). A few months back my wrench light was coming on. I was having lurching problems with the AC on. My mechanic cleaned the Throttle Body, but said it wasn't even that dirty. Now my wrench light and check engine/transmission lights are on first thing in the morning. Goes into limp mode. Restart and it drives fine. Transmission shop has had my car for over a month with no answers except to put a used transmission in it. I would love the name and number of your transmission guy, if he is too far away, at least my guy can talk to him about it. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • I own a 2005 Ford Freestyle Lemon. I bought this car and after 3 months the transmission went completely out while driving it on the highway. Luckily it was at night time and no traffic was coming because me and my daughter would've gotten hit. I have since written Ford and asked them to recall this transmission, but the only response I get from them is "thanks for your purchase and the nearest dealership is on 14th street". They will not stand up to the "crap" they are putting in these cars. We spend hard own money on them and then to replace them it's nearly the price of the car. I told Ford that if I wanted to pay Benz prices I would've bought a Benz. It's not fair that I have to try and scrap up money now to try to get this junk fixed. What's so bad about the whole thing is no mechanic can rebuild them. I was told by my mechanic that they came up with these transmissions and when they go bad you have to replace the entire transmission. I am so unsatisfied with the way Ford has cheated hard working people out of our money and still want us to take pride in their name. I feel if they created the problem they need to recall them and fix the problem. I had to go and buy $2k car to get around in. The Freestyle is still sitting in my driveway from the day the transmission went out because I can't afford to get it fixed. I hate Ford and will never buy another vehicle they sell. They have taught me a lesson and I realize what the Ford name stands for.......(F)ound (O)n (R)oad (D)ead damn! :lemon:
  • pegkpegk Posts: 11
    I need my 2005 AWD transmission serviced for the same problem you mentioned here. Can you please tell me how to get in touch with the person you used?
  • dhamijapdhamijap Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. The Freestyle does not move forward or backward. Ford needs to design theirs cars equal to the money charge for them. FORD=FOUNT ON ROAD DITCH.
    Learn the lesson guys do not buy ford there is nothing to be proud of them. pieces of junk left and right or us.
    The questions to ask yourself is why to try with your own hard earned money on so cheaply made cars and expect that they are better than most known to be good makes like Toyota and Honda. I am not buying any other car made by ford. Mater of I will not talk to my family member who ever drives a Ford from today.
  • lynn_sdlynn_sd Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I also have that problem and have just over 57K on the odometer. They also told me that I will need to replace the Transmission. I live here in South Dakota and when the temp dips below freezing the wrench light comes on. My experience is I did drive it once, It was a nice morning but when the afternoon rolled around I ended up in a snow storm and basically stranded at work. Luckily I only lived less than a half a mile from work and no traffic to worry about. NO Throttle response. both Wrench and check engine lights were on. I did purchase a device called CarMD and passed that information to the dealer and they refused to work on it. :lemon: :sick: . I did place my submission to be added to the class action law suit. I am also trying all other avenues to find a replacement trans but no success. Jasper engine/Transmission also do not have one in stock. I am guessing if they are that bad why did Ford sell these vehicles.

http://www.seegerweiss.com/news/seeger_weiss_investigates_cvt_transmission_defec- - - ts_in_ford_and_mercury_vehicles
  • Hi, I have the same problem with my 2006 Ford Freestyle. CVT Transmission and for 3 years I couldn't find anybody to fix that for less than $3500 and this was a used transmission with only 6 months warranty which I don't know if its wort. I would join this class action lawsuit so hopefully they would do something about and yes I would never buy Ford again.
  • I have the same problem with my 2006 Ford Freestyle. CVT Transmission and for 3 years I couldn't find anybody to fix that for less than $3500 and this was a used transmission with only 6 months warranty which I don't know if its worthed. I would join this class action lawsuit so hopefully they would do something about and yes I would never buy Ford again. If anyone would give me an advice I would really appreciate.
  • meyers4meyers4 Posts: 1
    I read in one of the posts that there had been a recall for the freestyles. We purchased ours new in 2007 and have never received any notice of a recall. Also, we've been having the same problems with our transmission that so many others on this forum have mentioned. I followed the link to the class action suit and it was filed in August of last year. I realize these things take time, but I've not received any information regarding this issue. I happened across this forum in my search for any recall notices regarding my vehicle (of which there are none). How do I get involved in this lawsuit?
  • trishaiamtrishaiam Posts: 4
    I've posted on here before about my 2005 Ford Freestyle with the CVT transmission problems. I sent Ford an email about recalling this transmission and they will not. I was told where the nearest Ford dealership was so I could fatten their packets once again and continue to ride around with this piece of junk car that tapped as I drove. My transmission went out after owning the Freestyle for 3 months. I SOLD this piece of crap to someone that was interested in it for $2000. The car was fully loaded and all the options but you can't drive what wont run. I vowed to NEVER buy another Ford product......I've had many Fords and they are at the graveyard now. I just purchased a Nissan Pathfinder. I believe in doing my homework now. I don't dare look at another vehicle without doing a consumer preview on it like this one.....I've seen some of the car dealerships selling the Freestyle lately and also seen people driving off the lot with them. I feel so sorry for them and know they have days of headaches ahead of them. I ask every one to pass the word around to bacot Ford....................
  • webseekerwebseeker Posts: 1
    I have joined the club of unhappy Freestyle owners with only 82000 miles the shifting stopped and now having a hard time with the replacement of the transmission. It is sad that a multi billion corporation makes people of lower income for their continued disregard for people and their own finances when they continue to make and not back up their own product. I have been satisfied with Ford products until now and do not think they are a reputable in their dealings. It is sad that the legacy of Henry Ford does not continue
  • Hello,
    I am very eager to be a part of the fix in this wrong doing that Ford Motor Company has created. I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle that has cooked through its second transmission and has also had the motor replaced as well. I am a working class citizen who makes 50,000 per year. I am by far a rich man but have already taken a beating from a few months after the purchase of my car back in 2006. I replaced the first transmission after about 90,000 miles. I had first experienced a problem while still under warranty and could not get the dealer/manufacturer to fix because the wrench light that was going off and throwing car into "limp" mode would reset itself and not keep the code in the memory bank. To the point mind you of taking a photo of it when it went on and showing dealer and still nothing satisfactory was done. It wasn't til after warranty expired that transmission died all together and paid $2,200 to have a used transmission put in in 2009. 2009 a other problem but this time the throttle body needed to be fixed or recalled a d was done by dealer. I'm seeing now that this function might actually be the result of or adding to the failure of transmission. In 2011 the motor blew and spent another $2,000 getting parts myself and lining up through connections to get this repair done as inexpensively as possible. The tranny just died again and had to purchase a used vehicle for a couple thousand to get me back and forth to work. I paid over $21,000 for the car as a demo with full warranty but have gotten no help in any of this. I still owe on the car and hear it sits in my driveway. Please help, I don't know where to go from here.

Sincerely,
    MVE
  • scottawscottaw Posts: 1
    Our 2005 had the same issue everyone on this forum knows all to well.

After multiple trips to the shop, several after driving a few blocks from picking it up, ours has been fixed. Apparently some of the replacement parts are defective (that's the story anyway). But if your at wits-end, AAMCO Transmissions in Fort Collins Colorado became an expert. We paid well (~$6k) to get them educated, but that was close to two years (and ~15,000 miles) ago and we haven't had CVT issues since.
  • clyrissaclyrissa Posts: 1
    I feel like we all are driving the same car. I bout my 2005 ford freestyle in early February at what I thought was a steal for $5,000. It was in great condition, interior, exterior perfect. Only 82k miles. It started making a helicopter sound a few weeks later which I assumed was a belt. Easter Sunday, while me and the kids were on our way to see a movie after church, the car started jerking excessively and the check engine/transmission light came on along with the wrench light. After trying to find dipstick to make sure I wasn't just low on transmission fluid, I happened across this forum. It broke my heart when I realized I had spent all my taxes on this car only to have it clunk out not even two months later. Ford ought to be ashamed of themselves. They have to know that this is a defect on these transmissions. I am a single, low income mother of three that thought I was buying a very good car to get my family around while I finish my trade, now I'm back at square 1. How can I get in on this lawsuit? I'm thinking about calling the Today Show and see if Matt Lower wanna do a story on this like those Prius.
  • haulthault Posts: 122
    I am sorry to hear of your disaster. I would look into the class action stuff. A transmission should easily last 100,000 miles.
  • I paid 32,000 for this 2007 ford freestyle 5 years ago now its only worth 1,000 this is very sad ford should free sad how they are doing retired people
    I want to join the class action lawsuit