Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Stereo, iPod, CD, Bluetooth, Sat

steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884
edited December 2013 in Honda
Got audio questions? Ask 'em here.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Comments

• skye_skye_ Posts: 14
    Just bought a 2006 - had a 96 accord -- sound system in CR-V doesn't compare with the accord. What do I need to bring the sound up to a better quality? Different speakers or the whole unit? I've thought about switching the two (still have the 96 accord). The units themselves measure the same - not sure about the speakers. What to do, what to do. I've tolerated this cheap tinny sound for nearly 3 weeks and it's high time I did something about it!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Just bought a 2006 - had a 96 accord -- sound system in CR-V doesn't compare with the accord. What do I need to bring the sound up to a better quality? Different speakers or the whole unit? I've thought about switching the two (still have the 96 accord). The units themselves measure the same - not sure about the speakers. What to do, what to do. I've tolerated this cheap tinny sound for nearly 3 weeks and it's high time I did something about it!

Try playing with the bass/treble and fader settings.
    I've done that - many times - and have settings to where it seems to be as good as it's going to get, but it still lacks the quality. I seldom, if ever, listen to radio -- only listen to CDs and they just don't sound as good in my CRV as they did in the Accord. It's the biggest disappointment I have with this car (so far!) :(
    I've done that - many times - and have settings to where it seems to be as good as it's going to get, but it still lacks the quality. I seldom, if ever, listen to radio -- only listen to CDs and they just don't sound as good in my CRV as they did in the Accord. It's the biggest disappointment I have with this car (so far!)

Do you have LX or EX/SE? LX comes with 4 speakers, while EX/SE comes with 6 speakers (adds 2 tweeters in the dashboard to the LX speakers) plus there is an optional OEM Subwoofer that mounts under the driver's seat.

Qute a number of CR-V owners replace the stock speakers with aftermarket to get better sound.

I have stock speakers in the EX (6 speakers) and the optional Subwoofer. IT sounds pretty good for an OEM system.
    I have the EX with 6 speakers, but I didn't know about the optional subwoofer! I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm just not satisfied with the sound at all. I'm hoping the cure lies within some different speakers - and a subwoofer! Do you have any suggestions as to a good place to get them?
    I have the EX with 6 speakers, but I didn't know about the optional subwoofer! I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm just not satisfied with the sound at all. I'm hoping the cure lies within some different speakers - and a subwoofer! Do you have any suggestions as to a good place to get them?

I like Crutchfield for car electronics, they give you a free wirng adaptor, so you don't have to clip the wires, and when you are done playing, you can put the stock stuff back in.

www.crutchfield.com

If you want the OEM sub, there are plenty online dealers who sell OEM stuff for much much less, one is actually sponsoring this site, http://www.handa-accesoires.com

I prefer buying from http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com
  • I know that the 06 EX CRV is pre wired for XM Satelite Radio. Does anyone know if it is XM specific or can the wiring be use for Sirius as well?
    I know that the 06 EX CRV is pre wired for XM Satelite Radio. Does anyone know if it is XM specific or can the wiring be use for Sirius as well?

It is not XM specific, but Honda specific. It would only work with a Honda receiver, which is probably Panasonic or Aplpine. The head unit it self is Panasonic.
  • I'm also wondering how to improve the sound of the stereo in the EX CRV. I find it lacking some power. I had an 03 Accord and that stereo was very good but the CRV's does not sound as good. Should I be looking at subs, speakers, or amp's to improve this?
  • bullfrog34bullfrog34 Posts: 20
    So just to clarify - If I buy a 2006 SE, it already has the optional tweeter kit? I don't have to buy that as an accessory?

Just wondering, because when you configure a CR-V on Honda's website, you can still select the tweeter kit even though it sounds to me like it's already installed on all EX/SE models.
  • leesterleester Posts: 3
    I had the exact same question -- as I've ordered an 06 CRV SE and am waiting for it to arrive. I emailed Handa-accessories.com and they said that on all EX and SE models, the tweeters are installed at the factory, hence the 6 speaker system instead of the 4.
    -Leester
  • Is it just me or does the 2006 (SE) CR-V's in-dash CD changer not allow you to play randomly between CD's but only between the tracks on the one CD that is playing? I've read through my owner's manual a few times. What's the sense of having a 6-disc CD changer without that option to play randomly between CD's? :mad:
    What's the sense of having a 6-disc CD changer without that option to play randomly between CD's?

So you can load you CD's at once and not have to physically change the CD's until you are bored with the 6 you put in. Also works great for books on CD, most of them are 6 disc, and you don't have keep changing them.
  • leesterleester Posts: 3
    Has anyone put an aftermarket GPS in their Honda in place of the Factory Radio? Also, the GPS in the new Civic almost looks like it would fit in the CRV. Wish I could order a system and "plug & play" it in the CRV. The 07 CRV will likely have a GPS option.
    Acura TL and TSX systems would be plug and play as well as the new Civic system.
  • sceglascegla Posts: 20
    I need more cowbell errr, Bass.

I would like just a 'little' more bass in my SE's sound system. I definately don't want something like those folks that can be heard two miles away. Does any one have input on the OEM (underseat) subwoofer or even any of the after market subs?
    I would like just a 'little' more bass in my SE's sound system. I definately don't want something like those folks that can be heard two miles away. Does any one have input on the OEM (underseat) subwoofer or even any of the after market subs?

I have the OEM sub, and it does just that, enhances the bass without blowing the neighbors' windows. I don't even think it can be heard outside the vehicle.

The installation is a piece of cake if you follow OEM instructions.
  • daedae Posts: 143
    Stock audio in CR-V is beyond terrible. Helped my daughter to upgrade it.

Here is the minumum you will need to do:

1) Replace front speakers. Best to get a pair of 6.5" components. Throw away factory tweeters, just disconnect them. Put tweeters into upper portion of the door. I installed Polk Audio DB6500. Needs an inch of a spacer for main woofer. Do not ever listen to what Crutchfield says will fit or not. 6.5" fits in front just fine. $110 on Ebay.

Basic two-way (without external crossover and tweeter) will do the job as well. Plenty of deals on Ebay and on the web.

Amazing difference. One can actually hear music. Much better investment then a factory subwoofer. Factory speakers are unbelievable crap.

2) Pretty much any decent head unit will be better. I went for Kenwood 501 double din. ~$200 on Ebay new. Front USB input is nice. Again, Crutchfield lists this as not fitting. Idiots.

3) Some soundproofing is very noticable in CR-V - it is noisy. Paid $100 to a guy in a shop nearbuy to have front doors lined with dynamat extreme (tm). Quite noticable improvement in road noise and speaker performance.

4) I will probably put something in the rear door as well - not components though

OEM subwoofer (and tweeters for LX) are a waste of money. Upgrades I have listed will go much farther. Makes it as good or better then some of my expensive cars.
  • Do you have more details on install of the compoenents? For example about how you put the tweeters in the upper portion of the door.

Also, what year is your CRV?
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Ok I have read a few of the posts on XM ready installed on the 06 CRV what is the costs to bring it up and ready. Do you have to have Honda do it. I would rather not change the system if possible. Thanks... M
  • daedae Posts: 143
    Do you have more details on install of the compoenents? For example about how you put the tweeters in the upper portion of the door.

Also, what year is your CRV?

2" drill bit :) - into the flat spot directly above the main speaker grill. removed the trim before drilling and put some tape over the spot - but I guess any installer can help with that. Some people are not comfortable with drilling their cars. Crossover inside the door, glued with two sided tape, seems strong enough. Wiring secured with few pieces of Dynamat. Dynamat on inside/ouside surface of the door, but not a complete coverage - did not remove water barrier completly. 36ft2 bulk pack from Ebay (~$110 shipped) was enough to do all doors and some floor under the picnic table and that plastic compartment. - I was lazy to do it myself though. I do not drive this car, but she said it is much quiter now.

Also just replaced rear speaker with a smaller coaxial one (also Polk) - it plays muted, not to pull the sound back, anyway, so it need not be large, but stock ones had been just adding mud, not filling in sound.

2006 model.
  • OK, thanks for the info. You are braver than I to drill. Am seriously considering though.
  • I want to get a connecter that will go into my aux input on the stock CRV EX 06 unit, i looked at the Ipod kit which after labour came 2 $510. Why you would get this installed instead of an after market system i have no idea. However is there a Cable you can run from the Aux that will let you connect mp3 players etc??? anyone had any success with this??? :confuse:
    I just want a bit more volume and bass. I've already replaced the rear door speakers with 6.5 alpines - helps, but I'm not there yet!!

Here's what I'm thinking I'd like to do and if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about this, I'd be real glad to hear them ...

1) I'd like to keep the OEM HU if possible (if I can amplify it).

2) I also think I'd like to move the 6.5 alpines to the front doors and run the rear speaker wires to the back somewhere(cargo area?) and put in some 6x9's (like my accord had)- I'd get a car audio pro to do this one. It just seems to me that speakers in the doors do not provide enough separation - it's a fine line between Front and Rear adjustment.

Would new tweeters in the door as suggested in previous post make a large difference?

I'm wondering if my HU could handle all that though. Speaking of HUs, are JVCs a good choice??

Any thoughts on this (or ideas for a better plan) are greatly appreciated! thanks! :shades:
    I want to get a connecter that will go into my aux input on the stock CRV EX 06 unit, i looked at the Ipod kit which after labour came 2 $510. Why you would get this installed instead of an after market system i have no idea. However is there a Cable you can run from the Aux that will let you connect mp3 players etc??? anyone had any success with this???

It is only $510 if you have the dealer install it for you. The iPOD kit itself is $160, an easy DIY.

The aftermarket cables don't let you use your steering wheel controls to control the IPOD, while the Honda kit does.
  • I am going crazy trying to figure out how to add an IPOD interface to my 2004 CR-V EX. The OEM Radio (which I would like to keep) which appears to be manfacutred by Panasonic, has a 6-CD in-dash changer and appears to have a 20-pin wiring harness. All of the relevant aftermarket adapter kits, seem to assume a 14-pin plug. I am stumped. Does anyone have ideas ona what to do. ALl I want is power to and audio without FM modulation from IPOD -- I don't need to control IPOD from radio. Thanks. Howard
  • gjbwjgjbwj Posts: 27
    Just bought CR-v EX 4WD, really can not stand its audio quality, want to install the Honda OEM subwoofer. Has anyone done it, how about its quality, how much it will improve the audio quality. If not too much, will not bother to do it. Thanks in advance.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    It is usually cheaper, in the long run, to order those things with the car. Why not tell your dealer about your dislike, and see if they will cut you a deal on installing the upgraded audio system that comes with the EX-L :confuse:
  • gjbwjgjbwj Posts: 27
    Thank you first. I already bought the car, after driving a while, found its audio quality was not impressed. Mine is 06 version, I believe SE might use the same audio system. If I let dealer to upgrade my audio, I guess it will cost more than DIY. Honda OEM subwoofer will only cost less than $300, if i did it myself.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Well, like I said, check. Customer loyalty is important to good dealers, and they might cut you a break. Check the Honda site for what audio systems come with which model, or did.