Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Climate Control

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Check the Blower resistor - that is the most common failure for blower motor issues. It is the resistor which determines all the fanspeeds.
  • nanellnanell Posts: 11
    HI- I have a '94 dakota and had the same problem had the heater/ defrost on and it just stopped blowing. Have searched the archives and did as suggested. Replaced the resister (only $7). Didn't fix the problem, so then I pulled out and tested the blower motor. Tested fine as well (but Hubby replaced it anyway ($60)). But at last it still will not work. Any other suggestions. It is so cold we need it daily.

Thanks
  • I would be rather shocked that the resistor replacement didn't fix the problem. Try pulling out the resistor and putting it back in a few times to engage the pins. I would also suggest checking the new resistor to make certain that the new part wasn't defective. And, I would suggest describing the complete scenario of what/how much of functionality you have, when and how it stopped working, etc. There are some really savey people on this forum that can trouble shoot based on a very concise description of the problem. And definitely check ALL fuses that could be related (in the regular fuse panel, as well as, the panel in the engine compartment). Good Luck.
  • Try wiggling the wires as they go into the connector at the resistor. Do this for all fan speeds. The wires where they crimp onto the terminals in the connector can burn into. It is hard to see this down in the connector. If the blower tries to run when the wires are wiggled you need to install a replacement connector. Be sure to use the largest wires that come with the new connector.
    I was driving the fan was on high on the defrost setting, then it simply stopped blowing.

There is no functionality at all. It does not blow any air out on any speed or setting even on AC.

I tried 4-5 times to pull the resistor out to engage the pins with no luck. I also wiggled the wires at the resistor on all fan speeds more time than I can count and still nothing.

When i hard wired the blower motor directly to the battery it turns just fine. :confuse:
    Thanks for the hekp everyone. Got it fixed. The fuse for the blower motor in the fuse box in the cab of the truck had melted in. So thought we were going to have to replace the whole fuse box, What happend was the previous owner (an electricain) had bypassed the fuse box for the fuse to the blower motor. The new fuse was under the dash hiding behind the fuse box.

This after we replace the resistor, & blower motor. ANd then took it in to a shop. SO it ended up being a $110 fuse.

At least now we know where the fuse is.
  • My vent/defrost selector seems to be stuck in the defrost and vent mode. It will not allow any warm air to go to the feet. It doesn't matter where I have the selector, it will only come out of the defroster and vents. It is kind of annoying driving down the road roasting but having your feet freezing. How does the system work and what should I be looking for?
  • meham2meham2 Posts: 1
    the selector switch for my ac/heat/defrost is stuck on defrost and will not switch to anything else. blower motor works fine. any suggestions?
  • If I remember on the 98 the vent gates are vacume controlled. If you have no vacume or not enough to the controller it will not switch over to the cold side. Also check the heat control and see that it is moving the heater control valve.

kpfegan
  • I have a 2002 dakota 4.7 . i was out 4 by 4 when i heard a clicling noise in the front end . i thinks its the front axle . anyone have any advise for me thanks
  • hi i also have a 2002 dakota 4.7 also and have the same problem have you learned anything about your problem
  • jbeaudetjbeaudet Posts: 2
    The hvac blower died the other day. Started to act up a couple weeks ago. One week I had the third speed only which lasted a couple of days, then that stopped and the fourth speed came back and worked for a couple of days, now nothing. Relay, resistor or blower motor. Please advise. Thanks
  • Your problem is a bad variable resistor, which is about $17 at your dealership. I believe for your year it is behind the glove box, for some years it is on the firewall. Just ask the parts guy and he will confirm the location. Easy to replace unless it is so burned out that you have to replace the harness also.
  • Definitely sounds like the resistor. On the '02 it is located under the glove box and is held in place by a couple of screws. It took me all of 5 minutes to replace mine. The new one from the dealer is also a beefed up version, so, you shouldn't encounter the problem again any time soon.

Good Luck.
  • fastcatsfastcats Posts: 1
    I only get hot air out of the dash vents no matter what setting I put it on. It will not switch to the floor vents or the face vents, I get no change in temperature out of the vents no matter what temperature I turn it to or if I turn on the A/C, Fan switch works just fine. Can anyone tell me what it might be or what I may need to change out.
  • jbeaudetjbeaudet Posts: 2
    Thanks guys, it was the resistor. 20 bucks and 2 screws later it works. thanks again for your help :blush:
  • chillrichchillrich Posts: 1
    I just fixed my 2002 Dakota vent issue last night. Had no flow from dash vents, only defrost and floor. There is a link which comes off the cam/motor under dash drivers side(towards center of vehicle). This link had come undone far up in the dash. The motor is electric so you can test w/o vehicle running.
  • maniac02maniac02 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 03, air only blows out of the defrost and floor vents. Is the 03 set up the same way as the 02?
  • kendla1kendla1 Posts: 1
    i have 02 dakota also w/same vent issue. how much trouble did you have finding and repairing. summertime in soutwest louisiana

thanks,

ken d
  • dleahydleahy Posts: 7
    I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota. The air conditioning blows so cold, it will run you right out of the truck. Then, it blows ambient temp air and is useless. I have replaced the cycling switch, the refrigerant, checked for leaks with dye, replaced the high pressure switch, the control head and the vacuum harness that connects to the back of the switch. It works when started and then after varying amounts of time, the air just stops being cold. Fan remains on system just blows fetid crummy smelling air. Seems to work much better when it's cool outside and is guaranteed to shut off and stop cooling when it's hot. HELP! Last bozo to "help" said it "might be" a body control module (??!!) Whatever that is. Need to get this fixed as it is 108 degrees here all week. Thanks very much!!