Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Transmission Problems

Comments

• steve_sfsteve_sf Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2008 4Runner 6cyl. My previous 1995 4Runner 4cyl just passed 380,000 and despite taking great care of it, is not worth any more major repairs. (My connector rod is expected to fail soon.) I have previously owned 4 other Toyota trucks or SUVs. Needless to say, I am a dedicated Toyota fan. My problem is that the newer models are only available in auto transmission, the manuals having been discontinued due to "lack of consumer sales volume". I am a firm believer in manual everything. I don't want a cushy driving experience. I want total control of the vehicle myself. I even dislike power windows and door locks. I am at a crossroads with sucking it up and getting the 2008 with automatic trans, as the only manual options are buying from other companies.
    My question is: Seeing more posts about transmission problems on this blog than I am comfortable with, is there anything inherently wrong with the current 4Runner automatic transmission design? I take excellent care of all my vehicles and every mechanic remarks on how many 100s of Ks I get out of each vehicle. FYI: I tend to drive about 40K per year and take a lot of mountain/off-road trips, but don't tow anything.
    Thanks
  • Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what happens. Yea it is great to drive that fast everyday, I can only go 105 mph because of the govner, but I do it all the time.

Take Care,
    patriotmissile
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I've got about 70,000 miles on my 2003 V8 4Runner. No problems with the auto transmission so far.
  • booster85booster85 Posts: 1
    i recently installed a throught berining in my trans. my chiltions manual dosnt show me where the fork goes in the middel, foward or after. needless to say its all back together and no clutch. help
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Posts: 88
    I have 104k miles on my 2003 V8 4-runner and still no problems with the transmission(knock on wood).
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    The current model 4Runner transmissions have been bulletproof so far, whether it be on V6 or V8 models.
  • steve_sfsteve_sf Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reassuring replies about the automatic transmissions on the current 4Runners.
    Steve
  • imbritneyimbritney Posts: 1
    What did you end up doing? I have a 2003 Limited V8 4Runner that is exhibiting the exact same problem. I feel a vibration at 42mph when the transmission shifts between 4th and 5th. Did you get yours fixed? Did they pinpoint the problem? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
  • sarge71sarge71 Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 toyota four runner, 2wd. When I shift gear to drive I get a loud clanking noise coming from either the transmission or the drive shaft, can't really tell. Can someone possibly tell me what or why that noise is being made, only when I shift gear to drive?
  • aviatorkaviatork Posts: 1
    A few months ago my transmission cooler went out and filled the tranny up with radiator fluid and the radiator with tranny fluid. I had a shop flush the transmission out and they had to do it three times to get all the radiator fluid out. Since then my transmission makes a whining noise when driving. If I put it in neutral it stops. It is also shifting harder than it used but not really bad. I have been reading about drain plugs and filter screens possibly being the problem. I was hoping someone could possibly give me some suggestions before I take it to the dealer and spend possibly tons of cash.
  • gene71gene71 Posts: 1
    have you found a fix for the overheating? i have a 92 with the same problem.
  • glb5glb5 Posts: 39
    YES THERE IS A TRUE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM. AFTER 4 YEARS OF TRYING EVERYTHING KNOWN TO MAN I TALKED TO A SERVICE MANAGER FROM A TOYOTA DEALER WHO PREVIOUSLY HAD WORKED AT A GM DEALERSHIP. HE SAID THIS WAS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THE LAST GENERATION TAHOES.
    THE FIX

REMOVE THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT AT THE REAREND. THERE ARE 4 BOLTS AT THE FLANGE. THROUGHLY CLEAN SPLINES BOTH MALE AND FEMALE WITH A HEAVY DUTY CLEANER, I USED BRAKE CLEAN. ONCE ALL THE OLD GREASE IS REMOVED APPLY GM PART NUMBER 12345718 GREASE ( IT COST ABOUT $50.00 FOR A 16 OUNCE CAN AND IT IS ABOUT THE CONSISTANCY OF WHITE LUBERAPLATE, VARY THIN). REASSEMBLE THE DRIVESHAFT. DO THE SAME FOR THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT. I DID THIS 15000 MILES AGO AND THE THUMP HAS NOT RETURNED.
  • Hi, only 1400 miles on new 4 runner, V8, 2 wheel drive. When I back up and shift, automatic, to drive, at times it takes about 3 long seconds for the trans to engage forward. If I didn't wait or notice and step on the gas, car would really bang into drive. I am hoping this is a switch adjustment or something. Will take to dealer but wondering if anyone has had this problem. Thanks much, Jean
  • i've had some weird stuff happen it first started after i bought the toy the tranny over heating light would come on with basic driving. i now have a problem with the shifting i went out to go to the store and the tranny shifted through all the gears and into overdrive by the time i hit 45 k so i threw i in every gear and 4x4 nothing worked. after all this i blew up my blazer and took my toy to tow it home and following an old man doing 30k he pulled off and when i went to pass there was nothing, like the tranny was slipping. So with both my trucks down i towed my trucks home with buddy's truck i had to push my truck in the driveway and it went into gear and has worked for months. But know again the truck feels like it's in 4 low goes through all gears by the time it hits 45k can anybody help i'm a chevy guy thats banging my head off the wall. love my toy but hate to bring it to a shop to much$$$ i put the truck in reverse and booted it and shifted fine again but again in the driveway and reverse isn't fixing the problem any more SO I NEED HELP
  • Has the problem been fixed?
  • Not yet. I took it to the dealer last week. Was told the trans is a sealed unit, no dip stick and that they need the trans/fluid in a cold state to hook it to their machine to check the trans. Said it could be the trans itself or maybe the computer, but unknown for sure. And the trans didnt slip when they checked it out. The trans does not fully engage drive only at times, so this is not going to be an easy fix I suspect. Groan. Man, I waited 7 months to get this car after getting ripped off by my neighbor with a car with a bad tranny. I didn't think this would happen on a new Toyota 4-runner. Sigh. Upsetting to say the least.
  • I started having the exact same problem at 10K miles. I now have 23K miles. My 2007 has been in the shop 7 times. New transmission was installed and the computer was re-set. Problem is still there. Sometimes the transmission problem happens 3-4 times a day and then sometimes it happens 1 time a week. No regular pattern on when it happens. I took it today to a second dealership to see if they could repair it.
  • i have the same truck and i had the same problem. there are a couple things it could be. the easiest and cheapest thing to do is go up to the front axle and try switching the two vaccum hoses that lead to the differential. if that doesnt work, there is a relay inside the truck uncder the drivers side dash almost dead center under the stearing wheel. it says fuel pump relay on it. but that was my problem. i replaced it and it worked.
  • Thanks to all that replied. I haven't noticed the problem since I took it to the dealer. The said they didn't do anything, but I wonder. Anyway, I will check the hoses swap and relay if the trans delay shows up again. Again, thanks for replying. I do appreciate this site and the info on it.
  • I have a 2000 Toyota 4-Runner V6 with 140,000+ miles.
    Just about 25,000 mile ago, I had my vehicle in for service and they drained the transmission, checked for ware fragments, flushed the torque converter and refilled it. A few weeks went by before I started having problems with the transmission.
    I backed out of the drive just fine then put it in drive. Sometime and it doesn't happen often, the car won't pull forward in drive. If I put the truck in 1st or 2nd gear, it pull forward just fine. Once having driven to the top of the driveway, the vehicle will work just fine in drive and drive fine the rest of the day. It only appears to happen first thing in the morning or after the vehicle has been sitting for several hours. The first time it happened, I had the vehicle towed into the dealership but by the time it got there, it worked just fine. Any suggestion would be helpful.