Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Saturn Vue Green Line a Turning Point for Hybrids?

124»

Comments

• PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,807
    If you want to discuss the mileage you're getting with certain vehicles, please use the Browse By Vehicle search tool in the left sidebar to find the proper discussions.

Let's stick to the Vue debate here. We simply cannot go off into everything in every discussion.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• shalwechatshalwechat Posts: 25
    "VUE is the least expensive SUV on the market. This is a correct statement. Why would someone even raise prius, which is a compact car to compare with VUE, basically a crossover? Does anybody cross shop these two?

PLUS, Prius is for fat cats and VUE is for joe average, this is true too. Money is not the only factor to separate fat cat and Joe, say 26k vs. 23k. It depends on how he spend it and how much function does he get. People willing to buy a 20k mini is a fat cat, while people buy a 25k impala is still Joe, since he weight function more than the "image". "
    the above quote is nonsense:
    HMMM....I guess all those people who ride $20,000.00 dollar H-D motorcycles or even a 10,000 H-D's are not joe average. It seem like everyone in my office wants a Harley, but they call a Prius impratical for the needs of my family.

orginal topic comment:
    But sinse the VUE is the cheapest SUV hybrid. I believe those who cant not afford the Ford/Mercury & Toyota SUV hybrids can afford the VUE Greenline. It will get more people into hybrids who hate the "look at me,...im green" hybrid.
  • fshifshi Posts: 57
    I did not realize that we have different difinitions of fat cat and joe average. You think people rid 20k HD are joe average? That is their hobby, not basic transportation. Prius has a yapee image, why? do you think yapees are all joe average? Maybe your part of the world.
  • shalwechatshalwechat Posts: 25
    "I did not realize that we have different difinitions of fat cat and joe average."

A fat cat complains when he has to "slum it" by flying 1st class on an airline because his coprate jet is out of order. Now thats a fat cat, not a bling bling wannabe.

"You think people rid 20k HD are joe average?"

No,A H-D is the motorcycle equivelent of a premiun car. Many here consider, H-D's having a yupee image or a Hell's Angels wannabe.(stereotype but if you want to sterotype a Prius owner, im free to stereotype a H-D owner) In a land of winters a bike is impratical, at lest you can drive a Prius during blzzard. I do admit riding in the summer breeze n' sun is fun.

" Prius has a yapee image, why?"..."That is their hobby, not basic transportation."
    I believe thats a stereotype that those who prefer to dismiss hybrids like to perpetuate. There is your "why". Most prius owners seem to be willing show & tell you their car. Some use their Prius as basic transpoeration and other seem to make a hobby out of it. Similar enthusisam to a VW tdi

"do you think yapees are all joe average? Maybe your part of the world."

My part of the world represents a broad spectrum of society. Does yours?
  • In the interest of full disclosure, I work on the Vue Green Line for Saturn.

On the new Saturn hybrid, there is a charge/assist gauge that clearly tells the driver when they are charging the battery and when the electric motor is helping to drive the engine/vehicle. In addition, there is an "eco" light that illuminates when the vehicle is meeting or beating the EPA rating...its calibrated to match slow speeds to city MPG, high speed to highway MPG.

True, the info displays are not hight tech like some other vehicles, but the Vue hybrid starts at $22,995 and gets the best highway fuel economy of ANY suv. Its just a different approach to saving fuel -- and one that make hybrids more affordable for more people. Complicated systems are not automatically better. I'm amazed when people seem to get mad at Saturn for offering a vehicle that delivers a 20% fuel economy improvement, 30 more HP and only costs $2k more than a base vehicle.
  • jonnycat26jonnycat26 Posts: 101

In the interest of full disclosure, I work on the Vue Green Line for Saturn.

I don't suppose you could tell us when the GL will go on sale? And which should we expect first, the Aura Green Line or the Malibu Hybrid? Whichever one comes first is going to replace my Prius, hence my curiousity.
  • Personally, I pre-ordered mine at the end of June, and my Saturn Rep (Saturn of Roswell, GA) called me this past Saturday to let me know that it will be in between Aug 27-30. (They should have an "on-lot" test-drive vehicle sometime around August 15th.) So hopefully they should have one to look at/test drive soon.

I currently have a 2003 V-6 Vue, and just bought my wife a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (w/ V-6), so I'm wondering how the 2.4L Ecotech I4 will handle. (I test drove the 2003 4cyl and wasn't impressed with it, and ended up buying the V-6 -- I hope the Green Line's 4cyl has enough power/torque to make handling the smooth.)

Cheers!
    :)
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Those gauges are helpful, and a REALLY SMART person will be able to figure out how to hypermile very well in the Vue Hybrid, based on your description of the gauges.

I'm not mad at all at Saturn for making the SVH available at a good price.

I just think a real-time MPG meter is really the key tool for really taking your vehicle's MPG to the highest level in the easiest-to-learn fashion.

Maybe the next gen will have one....:)
  • A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are interested in purchasing the Saturn Vue Green Line. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, August 15, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nocluonvuenocluonvue Posts: 1
    Does the hybrid Vue also have flex-fuel? Does anyone couple a flex-fuel engine with a hybrid?
  • 93949394 Posts: 67
    Can someone explain the differences, pros and cons for the 2 different hybrid systems from Toyota and Saturn?

I read on Saturn's website: the gas engine will stop when you brake and start again when you take your foot off the brake pedal, well, on a typical stop and go city driving, is that going to increase the wear and tear on the engine and the starter? I wonder about the long term durability of this hybrid system?
124»