Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan: Tell Ford What You Want!

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Some people want an automatic most of the time but also want the ability to manually control the gear selection from time to time.

It's not very expensive now that all (or almost all) trannies are shifted by the PCM - you just need a shifter with two contact switches and some software.

I'm living without it on my Fusion but if I had it I would definitely use it a couple of times a week.

Don't criticize something if you've never tried it.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    In the 4 cyl, the "manumatic" on the Mazda6 sells for about $50 more than the L only automatic on the Fusion. I assume these are more or less the same transmissions, otherwise.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    If you have to make the automatic shift gears, then whats the point of having an automatic?

Lots of points, including preventing shifts, forcing shifts. Engine braking is also a good thing (that's what people used to use the 2/1 settings for, remember?) There's lots of reasons to have some sort of manual-override, and pretty much no reason NOT to have one (No one's forcing you to use it if it's not there, so it's not like it's hurting you...just don't use it if you don't like it).
  • If you have to make the automatic shift gears, then whats the point of having an automatic?

In my opinion, manumatics can be handy. Here's why. Last year, I test drove a Fusion. I don't recall if it was a 4 or 6 cyl as I tested both. As I was exiting a traffic circle and headed for the turnpike, I gave it a fair amount of gas to merge into traffic. As the transmission downshifted, instead of one gear, it shifted down 2 gears. For a couple of second, until I could react and let off on the gas, the tach went up to 8K+ rpm's and I thought for a moment that I might have done some damage. Fortunately I didn't. If a person knows that their car might have the tendency to do this, then I would think having manual control would be a help.
  • srhkysrhky Posts: 1
    Why can I not have a decent Ford Motor Company WAGON ? Not an SUV, not a crossover, but a wagon? Heck Ford has even deleted the Focus wagon from the lineup.(was that to force us into crossovers?) I'm partial to the Lincoln Brand ,my last 3 cars were Lincolns (a Town Car, an LS, and now a Zephyr I got last year.) If I could, I'd get a Colony Park, but I know Im dreaming, but why not meet me half way?
    an MKZ wagon ? a Milan Wagon ? a Fusion wagon? And I know it can NEVER happen but some style and something different without allowing dealers to gouge buyers....like woodgrain paneling on the side...as an option maybe? Since nostalgia is in...a Fusion wagon with the Squire option? a Milan wagon with the Colony Park or Villager option ?? And if, just if, that dream came to be, an honest to God 3 way tailgate like we used to have which made the load space as convenient as it was easy to use, ( and a power window in the rear door for ventilation!). Before you call me a Grandpa living in the past...I'm not even 50 yet.
    But its a shame that after being a lifelong customer of Lincoln/Mercury/Ford I may have to get a Volkswagon or Toyota the next time to get a wagon.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Quick and go buy a Mazda6 wagon before they drop it in the next gen.
    That's what I thought too. I think the closest thing Toyota has to a wagon is the Matrix, but that is really more of a compact hatchback...more like a mazda3.

People will pay more if you put your wagon on stilts...like the edge. So that is what manufacturers are doing. Don't blame them, blame your fellow American car vehicle buyers.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Market trend shows wagons are out, gone, capute! This is why Most vehicle makers are going to "crossovers" It is what the majority of consumers are asking for. The Taurus X is about as close to a wagon as your going to get from Ford these days. Next up is the Edge.
    Yep.

The Edge (SE V6) is priced about $4000 above Fusion (SE V6). If instead they had done an edge wagon, I bet the price difference would be more like $1-2K and then they still would not sell anyway...just like the Mazda6 wagon which has not sold well at only $1000 above the comparable sedan.
    What's wrong with a Taurus X? That's as close to a wagon as you'll get, even if they call it a CUV.
    Now that I have one at my dealership, It is clear that this car is a wagon as compared to the Edge. I don't think Ford is going to fool anyway.

Mark.
  • I am begging you get rid of the fake wood it looks atrocious outdated, from my grandmother's house when wood panneling was "in".

2) Less hard plastics

3) rear air ducts

4) considering that mercury doesn't sell anything could you kill it off and not sell potentially profitable brand like Jaguar.
    Jag could only be profitable if they moved production OUT of the UK...but what would be the point?

Mark.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    Check out the new Ford Flex.
  • elkeinelkein Posts: 19
    In a word, I want sync.
    I bought a 2007 Fusion SEL used, with the hope that a retro-fit kit will someday be available. Ford has produced a total of 1 retro-fit kit for Navigator owners, that was in May. Generation X Time is ticking...

BTW there are rear air ducts under the front seats in my fusion, not saying yours has them. They are small and inconspicuous, but better than none.

Edit added:
    I could always use more efficient power, cylinder management, direct injection? HID headlights option? Manumatic controls, I am unnerved by using the "L" shifter position on the highway not being sure what gear the computer will go for.

Rare options I love: In a word my AWD, six speed tranny, value.
    Why would you use L on the highway? Just curious.
  • milkman1milkman1 Posts: 80
    You can down shift with a manual mode to you slow down without a break tap. So the cops don't nab you for speeding. I have avoided the sting at least half a dozn times in my 6.
    without a break tap.

How did you break your tap and what did you do to fix it?
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    So, after all your messages, let's see what Ford is bringing to the table in a few months... the 2010 MY should arrive by Feb. 2009. I wonder why there is no discussion board about this upcoming upgrade... New engines, better NVH, better interior... let's wait and see.