Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander Real World MPG

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I own a 2006 V6 Commander sport. Just went past 10,000 Mi. All is well. Gas mileage better than sticker est. V8 and heavy right foot not a good combo for MPG
  • genglegengle Posts: 5
    Our '06 hemi Commander gets poor gas mileage. One cause is that it will not shift into final overdrive below 72 MPH.
    The dealer checked 3 other Commanders on the lot and they
    shifted in at 64/66 MPH range. Since most people do not
    count the up-shifts they are not aware that they are not in overdrive. For sure my wife had no idea and still doesn't really care. She loves the car. I think it is a pig. I found the problem because the RPM/MPH ratio was so high.
    Chrysler says that the learning (idiot) transmission can not be changed and are satisfied with their incompetence.
    I suggest that you watch the tach for a "drop" to make sure
    that you are actually in overdrive.
  • My Commander goes into overdrive well before 72mph. In fact, it goes in well before 60mph. One thing to watch is that most cars will not go into overdrive until the engine has reached proper operating temperature. When you travel on the highway, is it normally shortly after starting your vehicle? If so, what you may be experiencing is a shift to overdrive once the Commander has warmed up. If anything, I think my vehicle goes into overdrive a little prematurely. Good luck!
  • i have a V8 and it gets terrible gas mileage. I fill up every five days. I did my own calculation when I first got the SUV and i got 13 mpg when i did all of the calculating. i got rid of our yukon xl because of the gas mileage, but i feel like we are getting worse
  • Is my average with the 4.7L V8. Currently at 25,000 miles
    A little worse than my 94 GC with the 4L straight 6, but I wanted the higher towing capacity.
  • drez22drez22 Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I recently bought a 5.7 hemi commander used with 4700 miles on it....I love my commander, but I too only avg 12.5 MPG and i drive 80% freeway. I thought my tank held 21gallons, but it doesn't seem like it. I thought I might have a lemon, but it looks like their ad was false..I can't ever imagine getting 18 MPG. Please contact me if anyone has good ideas.
  • Sorry Drez....you got suckered just like the rest of us...great vehicle.....crappy milage.....I found that if you slowly accelerate up to 62 mph on the highway (keeping the RPMs under 2000 as you come up to speed, and then maintain the speed between 58 and 62 without going out of that range for a long period), you can get the mileage up (keep in mind that the multi-displacement system will kick in during a very very very limited range). I have already tried the lemon route and Chrysler won't acknowledge it saying that they do not have the equipment to test mileage use and that the engine is working to perfection. They only publish what the EPA (an independant agency) reports. Good luck and if you want any further info don't hesitate to write
  • 75coug75coug Posts: 10
    I have yet to get as much as 10 mpg in the Commander. It is very disappointing, and despite loving the vehicle generally, I now wish that I had purchased something else. The 14 mpg that I get in a Dodge Ram 4x4 with the Hemi blows away the Commander.
  • kogden1kogden1 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased the 2007 commander with th 3.7 v6. I too feel mislead. The sticker was 16/20. Real world driving yieled about 13.4mpg. I am trying a k&n air filter. It seems to be working (according to the real time avg on the computer) but I will repost to confirm results on next fillup (currently looking like 15.5+mpg).P.S. I traded in my 02' Ford Explorer Sport 4.0l v6 which no matter how hard i drove rarley dipped below 17mpg and easily got 20-22 on the highway at 60mph-70mph+. I did not even think I would have a problem going with a newer smaller 3.7l engine. (J.E.E.P - Just Empty Every Pocket)
    Has anyone else had any success increasing mileage using a K&N Filter?
  • marrymarry Posts: 3
    I have the 06 Commander 5.7 Hemi. Using different gas types I have found the Shell VPower to give the 18 to 19 miles per gallon highway. I do a lot of highway driving on a daily basis, 30 miles each way to work and at least three times a year drive from NJ to FLA. The drive to NJ/FLA I can even inch out 20. Local I am looking at 14 mpg. I have definately found the type of gas used helps. BP I get the worst mileage.
  • I have a new (Leftover) Jeep Commander 2006 with about 3500 miles on it. It is equipped with a 4.7 L and has 3.73 rear gears. I drive this truck most of the time at 6.000-11,000 feet altitude in Colorado and use wimpy 85 octane fuel. I have been averaging a consistent 18 MPG and have gone as low as 16 and as high as 20. My salesman has the same truck and says he gets 14MPG? I am gentle on the throttle but I drive the speed limit + 5MPH.
  • tomn04tomn04 Posts: 1
    I have a new Jeep Commander Ltd with the 4.7 and the gas mileage is sad! I got much better mileage (3 MPG) in my 2004 Durango Ltd with the Hemi. Does anybody know if the Vortex cyclone help improve the mileage?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884
    Save your money.

Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets

Check out the Fuel Economy page for ideas on how to save money on gas.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    This board is hysterical. My COMMANDER gets crappy mileage? Hello? Did you look at the thing before you bought it? That BEAST must weigh well over two tons.

I'll put my wife's Civic up against it and blow it away by every measure except maybe towing, and cargo. Actually, I bet my wife could beat the damn thing to 0-60, winding it out in second. Probably get better mileage doin it too.

Sorry to troll, I couldn't resist.
    I did not expect this beast to get good mileage, but I thought that it would do better than my 1999 Durango 4x4 with the ancient 5.9 liter V8. The Durango gets 14 mpg combined city/highway, and the Commander doesn't come close to that figure.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Posts: 133
    If you read the "complaints" carefully, I believe owners are disappointed over their inability to achieve the EPA estimated mileage. I agree with you that noone should even look at a Commander if they are looking for a fuel efficient vehicle. However, if you purchase a Commander believing you can live with 19 mpg on the highway, but are only able to achieve 15-16, I can certainly understand the disappointment. Your comment that your wife's Civic compares favorably to the Commander is interesting. A Commander is purchased for cargo capacity, four wheel drive capability and towing capacity. To say that your Civic "blows it away by every measure except towing and cargo" is like saying a rifle is better than a tank because it is easier to carry. In an accident between a Commander and a Civic, which vehicle would you rather your wife was traveling in??
  • jaguarjefftjaguarjefft Posts: 15
    I'll take my 5.7L hemi against any Honda Civic straight off the line and I'll kick [non-permissible content removed] on it....but it will cost me dearly in fuel.....Harvey44, I think you missed the boat in understanding our thread here....we all know that the Commander is not going to average 19 and 16....but given the extraordinary amount of bragging Chrysler is doing on its commercials, you would think that we could at least average close to 16hwy and 13 City (since noooooooo one should or can trust the EPA's lies)....not 13 and 9 actual.... my original inquiry was to identify if I was unique with the poorer results or if it was standard. Apparently, even with a downward adjustment, the EPA had much exaggerated results and Chrysler salespersons should not be telling people that EPA estimates and vary slightly, BUT TREMENDOUSLY, when in this day and age of corporate gas company rip-offs, we are concerned about our purchases and should be told the truth. Chrysler LIED to most (not some) of us owners.
    I didn't read very carefully. I just thought it was funny that there was an MPG forum for the commander. Comparing it to my Civic was a joke, but I do think a race would be fun.

I remember reading a article in one of the auto mags about using the commander for a trip out west. While the vehicle is supposed to be made for adventure, the writers were in the desert and had 300 miles to travel on one leg without access to gas. They had to have it towed on a flatbed for nearly 100 miles as they didn't have the range to make it.

YMMV

Harv
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

The point of the story (which I totally agree with) is that the gas tank in the Commander is way too small. On the hightway, I am able to get about 350 miles to the tank full, but even that is pushing it. I'm thinking Civic vs. the Hemi, no chance, but Civic vs. the 4.7 or the V6, my money is probably on the Civic. Let's face it, the Commander may not have enough fuel to finish the quarter mile!!
    This is a pretty cool group. Guess you GOTTA have a good sense of humor right?

The econobox mpg threads are intense. I like that too. But hey they don't have their own class action suit!
  • niecy22niecy22 Posts: 7
    hello,

despite the big debate on the Commander being a "gas guzzler" I am looking to purchase one. from what I have heard about the Trailblazer which is the other we were looking at, it is not much better. anyhow I was wondering if anyone got better milage out of the v6 compared to the v8. Usually the obvious is that the v6 would be better but the sticker epa is pretty much the same.
    thanks!!!!
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    The 6 is over worked trying to move 5000 pounds. That is why the mileage is close to the same. Perhaps you should consider buying a slightly used one from an individual. I would not buy a 6 to move 5000 pounds. Just my .02.
    thanks so much. that is what i was thinking but needed to make sure that was correct. i appreciate your advice!
    I agree with blufz1 on this one. While you may get a slight (and I mean slight) fuel economy advantage with the V6, the lack of performance, in my opinion, greatly outweighs whatever savings you may get. If driven conservatively, the 4.7 V8 can get 18 (maybe 19 if you are really lucky) on the highway. I've noticed that the fuel economy really drops the faster you go (more so than with other vehicles I have driven). I think this is largely attributable to the shape of the vehicle and the increased wind resistance. My Commander has been a great vehicle, and I highly recommend it. Good luck with your purchase.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Posts: 154
    I agree, AND the Honda Civic makes a great CASKET for it's occupants after the accident with ANY Jeep (if there is anything left of the Civic!) :sick:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    Of course since the Civic handles much better and brakes better it will be far more likely to avoid an accident. I would much rather have my family in a Civic. Jeeps (and other similar vehicles) are far more likely to have accidents with gaurdrails and abutments, and lets not forget rollovers.

If you tow things, live down a mud track in the woods, or use it to run on trails, the Commander is a good vehicle to own, but for commuting?

The gas mileage is just plain never going to be very good, that needs to be accepted. However, keeping the tire pressure up, avoiding lots of short trips, keeping the speed down on the highway and driving very gently will help maximize mileage.
    Actually check it out. The safest cars (fewest fatalities per driver mile) are a bit bigger than Civic, but none of them are really big. Best are Camry and Accord type vehicles. I think it has to do with AVOIDING crashes. You're right in saying that when you're Commando slams in to my Civic I'll probably get hurt worse then you. But I am way less likely to be involved in a serious accident.

I'll also kills fewer people outside my car -pedestrians and other drivers/passengers. Take your philosophy to the max- don't care about others outside your car, gas mileage, air pollution or the risk of rollover - you should drive a tractor trailer.
    Obviously this rant can go on forever b/c we are comparing 2 kinds of vehicles that have barely anything in common. Therefore what is to compare? I presently have a very safe little car, rated high- VW Jetta but b/c I need a vehicle for DIFFERENT reasons, I will be buying a Commander in addition to. If you want to compare, you can do so my VW to a civic but not the civic to a commander. Let's put this conversation to rest. It's getting boring.