Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus IS Squeaks and Rattles

Comments

• yoosayoosa Posts: 6
    We have an IS250 2007. The dashboard and front air vents rattled since we received the car. We have brought it to the dealer 4 times. Finally, the dealer kept the car for 3 WEEKS. We didn't care that much because they gave us a loaner lexus. Finally, the squeeks and rattles seem to be GONE. My advice would be to keep after them, because, as another poster said, you don't need to own a rattletrap! We are in Southern California.
  • cklho818cklho818 Posts: 29
    I noticed the rattles and squeaks 3 days ago. Took my car in to the dealer on the next day, this past Monday. They fixed it over night and the noise is gone after they've put in extra insulation. Great service from Lexus of Pleasanton. However, seems like they've put some scratches around the dashboard area when they took out the parts and the air vent on the passenger cannot open all the way. A plastic cover underneath the glove compartment is not fasten entirely. I am taking it back this weekend to have them check that out and fix them accordingly. Heard they might be able to touch up on scratches inside the car so we'll see.
  • gordongjgordongj Posts: 23
    When ihit the 12,000 miles mark on the odometer, I started experiencing squeeks & rattles, mainly in the centre vent and navi screen area, but also the dash area in front of the passenger. I can put up with the passenger side squeeks, but the ones in the center vent area is driving me crazy. I certainly did not expect this of a Lexus. Never experienced this with the 5 Honda Accords I had prior to purchasing the Lexus. Certainly looking like this is my first and last Lexus. I have a service appointment next week and I will bring this matter to their attention, however I certainly am not expecting any resolution. :(
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    I had good luck with having rattles fixed. all 4 times i have had the vehicle in for normal maintenance i have reported, and they have fixed, one or more. there are some TSB's covering some known problems, if you can have a tech ride with you and point out what you hear and make sure they hear it to you will probably have better luck.

i was also surprised at how many squeaks and rattles from a lexus. i am more than a little disappointed.
  • sowkusowku Posts: 18
    Longo lexus got my car for 2 weeks and they couldn't determine how to fix it, and they replaced the parts, and it came back again. it's a horrible issue, but they don't know how to fix it. IS sux. i would never buy a lexus again. :lemon:
    Well, I have to say that the rattles in the dash were getting so bad, I was considering getting rid of the IS. However, I took it to the Lexus delaership and low and behold, they got the rattles out! Rattles were in/ around the centre dash speaker. I a mnow liking this car all over again.
  • tylerb2tylerb2 Posts: 3
    Do you have any documentation regarding the TSB? The nearby dealer seems not to know, or acknowledge these until Lexus has a mandatory mailing.
    I don't have a TSB on the rattle. The rattle on my IS was the speaker on the centre of the dash. They put in more insuulatino and that fixed it. I just took it in for service and they eliminated the rattke under warranty. However there is an Open Campaign # 9LA which relate to the fuel delivery pipes. My car is going in tomorrow to have this done.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,693
    L-SB-0044-08

July 30, 2008

Instrument Panel Rattle
    Service Category
    Vehicle Interior

Section
    Interior Panels/Trim

Market
    USA

This relates to 2006-2007 cars only, with VIN #s preceding the following

JTHBE262782013115

OR

JTHBE 262785017387
  • tylerb2tylerb2 Posts: 3
    That would be mine. Thanks very much for the information. It seems you need to almost recite the problem to the dealer word-for-word as written in the service bulletin, but without mentioning the bulletin itself, to activate a fix.

TB2
  • So I bought a 2006 IS 350 about two months ago, certified pre-owned and I'm more than happy with my choice. However after a month of owning the car I started hearing rattling noises from somewhere in the middle of the dashboard every time I take a corner and squeaks somewhere in the back (maybe seat belts or around that area). I took the car to a Lexus dealer and I told them about it however they said that they'd have to take the whole dashboard out and that's not included in the warraty and I would have to pay for it. Did anyone experience anything like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    Please ask the dealer to check if the Technical Service Bulletin titled " SB0040-08 JUL 08 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattle " has been performed on the car or not. If not, they should be doing that under your certified pre-owned warranty.

Please be aware that it will involve removing the whole dash and replacing several clips which have been redesigned, as well as removing a few plastic tabs left over from production, but at least Lexus will cover the cost.

Good Luck!
  • I had the same rattle. They fixed it under a TSB. What it was, was the dash centre speaker. Supposedly all it required was more insuluation there, and it never has rattled since. Good luck
  • Thank you so much. I am going to call the Lexus dealer tomorrow. The only thing is that I live in the Los Angeles area but I got my car from a Lexus dealer pretty far from LA. Do I need to call the dealer where I bought the car or just any Lexus dealer? The people from Lexus told me they have a nationwide program that has history maintenance on the car so they should all know I suppose? Tomorrow most definitely I'm going to ask. Thanks again!
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    As long as the car is certified pre-owned, it can be covered by any Lexus dealer within the parameters of that program.

And yes you are correct that the history of maintenance is available network wide.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    if you register your vehicle on lexus.com owner site you can look up all the items that are in the vehicle history
  • addamsaddams Posts: 74
    09's have the same Instrument Panel Rattle?
  • 06is25006is250 Posts: 1
    I bought an 06 IS250 a few months back and definetly experincing the rattling noise. The car isnt certified pre-owned so do I have any recourse in regards to the TSB? How should I go about getting this fixed?

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • tricky213tricky213 Posts: 2
    Take it to the dealer. Don't take no for an answer. They had my dash out 5 times before it was fixed.
    If you are deaf, the IS model is a wonderful car to drive (no disregard to deaf folks). Very peppy, comfortable and a nice car to drive. I have had my 2007 IS 250 AWD in for a major rattle in the dash. They fixed it (was centre speaker - put in more insulation) I have a small rattle in the driver's door - they can't find it. NOW, I have a rattle somewhere under the tachometer/ speedometer. Doesn't rattle all the time, but when it does, it sounds like the speedometer is going to fall to my feet. On the positive side - the rattle in the dash drowns out the small ratte in the door. I just can't believe that there is so litle quality in such a vehicle. Acura, BMW are my next choices.