Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 What would you improve?

Comments

• wjbushsrwjbushsr Posts: 135
    First off; add Seat Memory, Ipod Integration & rear vent ducts for the A/C!

Anyone else?

Copper Red - Black Interior - Sirus Upgrade For Howard Stern - Lojack for the Murano owner who keeps staring as I pass him on the hiway :shades:
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    First off; add Seat Memory, Ipod Integration & rear vent ducts for the A/C! Ditto!

Also Lighted Vanity Mirrors and light for door locks.

Icy blue GT FWD LA Calif
    Would be nice to have a "low fluid" indicator light for the windshield washer!
    It's 2006, I thought EVERY car had that one! :P
  • nycdragonnycdragon Posts: 14
    - exterior temperature display for Sport Model
    - Cubholder in rear door side
    - V6 engine with 87 gas
  • Trip computer - MPG, miles to empty, etc.
  • honakerhonaker Posts: 74
    Yeah, I'll echo the whole trip computer thing.
  • mbrcx7mbrcx7 Posts: 2
    power liftgate & panoramic roof
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Does the Cx-7 carry tilt/telescoping steering wheel?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    CX7 has tilt steering, but no telescoping. Saw your other post. You may want to go to www.mazdausa.com and download their .pdf file that describes all of their features for the CX-7.

Vince.
  • exigentexigent Posts: 2
    I would allow the front passenger seat to fold forward to allow for longer cargo. I would add lighted vanity mirrors. A removable trash compartment within the oversized center console would be a plus. Rear AC vents. Clips in the cargo hold to allow for UPRIGHT cargo nets for Milk, Juice, etc when grocery getting.

Thats all I can think of for now.
    SIRIUS works flawlessly and is well integrated with Nav. System. My only gripe is the cheapo antenna that they stuck onto the roof. Similar to the mini magnetic vehicle antenna that's offered with after-market kits from SIRIUS. It's a one inch square, squat device with a wire trailing from the antenna and snakes underneath the roofline, through the rear hatch.

Seems to me they could have opted for a color-coordinated and integrated antenna that blends into the roof, similar to what you see on Beemers, MBs, Audi's and the like.

Vince.
    I agree with the Sirius Antenna... surely they could have dug up a little paint for that thing! Plus, does anyone else's ant appear to be GLUED on?!?!
    yes, mine's glued on. Don't think the glue will weaken with age.

The after-market kits come with magnetic antennas, so if you install yourself, you can place the antenna where you want and if necessary, reposition it. I have a similar set up with my Santa Fe, Eclipse AVN 2454, XM Radio, except the installer glued mine on, at my request. It's been there for 2 years and hasn't budged.

So I'm confident the one on the CX-7 will stay put.

Vince.
  • rider451rider451 Posts: 1
    Bluetooth! I can't believe with a sophisticated tech package like this they didn't incorporate a handsfree phone system into it.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Posts: 458
    Low windshield washer fluid light - the Owner's Manual shows that "some models" have one. No idea if it's just the GTs, or part of the Tech package, or what.
    I have the GT model and it ain't on this one! My VIN is 044 so that might be it... :mad:
  • jessterjesster Posts: 5
    Bought SIRIUS with my GT but have not gotten it installed yet and now am a little nervous about the look reading your post. Are there other options for the antenna placement such as inside? Maybe I don't hate normal radio that much after all.
    Perhaps my comments made it appear worse than it really is. The antenna is only 1 inch square and about 1/2 inch high, so it's really unobtrusive. I was simply stating that Mazda could've gone the "extra mile" and make it color-coordinated or something like that. Other than that, I'm extremely pleased with how MAZDA integrated SIRIUS into the head unit. All the functions (SAT, CD, NAV, FM/AM) are tightly ingegrated (most controls are touch screen. Readouts also appear in the upper level of the dash board. BTW, in my humble opinion satellite radio far superior to FM! No commercials and uninteruppted reception, no matter where you are (exception: tunnels and passing under tree covered highways, where the canopy covers the road).

I pre-ordered SIRIUS as a factory option, so I'm guessing customers have no choice in placement. If you're getting installed at the dealership, you might call them and inquire.

Vince.
  • When my right leg is on the accelerator, my knee rests against the center console. The center console is not padded, and while the edge is not exactly sharp, neither is it sufficiently rounded. Maybe other people don't have this problem, but I'm 6 feet 1 inch, and on long trips I have to put a shirt or something soft there to keep it comfortable. The center console should have some sort of padding, or at least be more ergonomically designed so that the leg has a comfortable place to rest on a tapered center console.

I would strongly agree on the need for bluetooth and an Ipod adaptor. Furthermore, the Ipod adapter should be able to interface with the screens on the dash board--even on the Sport model.

Finally, I find the compartment in the center console to be too deep. Maybe it needs a larger tray that sits in the top but can lift out to reveal the lower chamber. Way to much stuff can get lost in that cavernous space.
  • pctechpctech Posts: 43
    YES!! to all of the above, especially the console "cleaver"! :(
  • taz6taz6 Posts: 19
    Living up here in the great Northeast and it is starting to get cold outside( high 50F day/low 30F night). My CX-7 AWD GT is very slow to heat up. Both the gauge and the blower are cold for more than 15 minutes on first start. Strangely even if the vehicles sits for 6 hours after driving the engine is still very warm and blows good heat.

Anyone else?
    Temps here in northern VA dropped to the high 30's, low 40's overnight. My AWD GT warmed up quickly this morning, within 2-3 mins. You might try increasing the cabin temp to 80 degrees or so, and see if warm air starts coming out.

Otherwise, you may need to take the vehicle in for an inspection.

Vince.
  • Not everyone has an iPod, so just an Auxiliary jack like the Impalas and most Chrysler vehicles have so that you can just plug in your mp3 player.

Better gas mileage for sure.

From what I'm hearing, more powerful A/C (I'm in Florida).

Honestly, that's it. When I look at other models out there and see what they do and do not include, I think that for what you're paying with the CX-7 and for what you can get for around 30K, you make out REALLY well. No car is perfect, but this has a really nice package to it which is what drew me to this vehicle. Haven't purchased mine yet, but trust me, it's on my list of things to do once I'm settled in my townhouse and I can stop traveling for work.
    For the money spent, Mazda skimped on the interior: cheap carpeting, exposed welds around the door panels, rivets holding the door seals to the door frame, exposed bolts that hold the front seats to the floor, etc.

Vince
  • Temp gauge said 42F when I went to work this morning, and heated seats, gauge, and HVAC air were all warm within 5 minutes of suburban driving. In your case, it sounds like it is either a real problem or a setting on the A/C...
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    In the CX-7, moving the shift lever forward shifts to a lower gear, pulling it back, to a higher gear.

This is the opposite of what I expect, and seems at odds with other manufacturers, and learned intuitiveness.

The Lincoln LS, Toyotas, and most others I suspect, are the opposite. Also, every non-sport floor shift automatic transmission I'm aware of requires rearward movement to select a lower gear.

If there's logic or intuitiveness in Mazda's sport shift, I'd like to understand it.
  • sssfegysssfegy Posts: 132
    Only to say they are different! As funny as it sounds, but true.
  • Forward/downshift, rearward/upshift is the shift action for race cars (at least for the ones that haven't moved on to paddle-shifters).

I can't tell you why other manufacturers chose not to follow the racing precedent, but it's always been intuitive to me, even though I am not a race car driver.

My theory is that forward/downshift and rearward/upshift make sense because that is the way your body intertia is moving as you normally do those actions (i.e., you are decelerating/moving forward when you are braking, and that is when you often need to downshift).

The shifters that go side to side for manumatic shifting are the ones that REALLY don't make sense to me. Lateral movement has nothing at all to do with gear changes...

Well, maybe my inertia theory is bunk, but I'd rather my CX-7 be associated with CART racers than Lincolns any day... ;)
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Aha! I wasn't aware of the race car shift action. At least Mazda has made it intuitive for customers who have driven CART vehicles.

I know that you're not alone in considering Mazda's choice as a good one. Some Lincoln LS owners have reversed the action on their cars.

I still have a problem with it, and consider it counter-intuitive. As I mentioned in my earlier post, all floor-mounted (non sport-shift) auto transmission shifters require a pulling motion for downshift. This is consistent with even column-mount auto transmission shift levers.

When I get my CX-9, I may have to condition myself with the help of your inertia analogy. Or, and I hope this is relatively easy to do, reverse the wiring on the shifter.

By the way, the Lincoln LS bears no resemblance to the Town Car, Continental, or anything else Lincoln has ever produced. After owning two of them, I assure you that the LS is a driver's car.
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    As yet, no one seems to be able to answer the question of why can't we upgrade the engine specs to that of the "Speed6".

Same engine, but more HP and Torque. Any hints or suggestions?

NMK
This discussion has been closed.