Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Climate Control

Comments

• yoteyote Posts: 2
    Hi

I just found this site and hope someone can help me. I've got a 1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4. It's powered by a 360 CID with auto tranny and a .410 or .411 rear end. The problem I have with it that no one seems to be able to solve is as follows.

The air conditioning works fine except when I'm pulling a trailer or under load. When I depress the accelerator ie to climb a hill, the cold air flow stops blowing from the dash vents. It still blows from the defrost vents and I assume the floor vents. When I back off on the accelerator the cold air flow returns to the dash vents. Not usually a big deal but a while ago I was in southern WA in 114 F heat. Anyone heard of this problem and better yet have a solution.

Thanks for any help

Yote
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Sorry to hear of your truck problems. It's a shame, but fortunately, the vast majority of '02 Ram owners have not experienced anything like you have.

I'm curious about the oil pan replacement. This is the only report I've ever heard of a 4.7 having a defective oil pan. Highly unusual is a serious understatement.

How good is your relationship with the dealer? Most dealers will try to work with someone if there's completely no sign of negligence or abuse on the part of the vehicle owner. You should've received a seven year, 70,000 mile warranty that would've covered the oil pan. Brakes!? Well, that varies considerably by driver. The A/C compressor is not completely unusual and I've seen Dodge go 50-50 on some of them, depending on the situation.

Maintaining a good relationship with the dealer is usually rewarding in cases like these, unless the dealer's business philosophy is poor.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Most modern AC systems are designed with a "throttle cut-out" program... meaning, when the computer detects maximum power is needed from the engine (such as climbing a hill with a trailer as you describe), the AC system is temporarily reduced to allow all the hp to move the truck. When the load needs return to normal (the hill has crested, you've completed the pass, etc.), the AC system also returns to normal.

This should be noted in your owner's manual if your truck is so designed.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • titanium29titanium29 Posts: 38
    Howdy Bob! (if that is your Real name!), Anyway, just a quick reply to say I have felt your pain, or in this case "heat". I have an '06 CTD MegaCab 3500, and thought the AC was a little pathetic in the summer. I also saw many postings here complaining of the same thing. I wondered about the Freon level, so I purchased a guage and to my surprise the pressure did show a little on the low side. So I charged it into the "green", and it did help. I just wonder with the auto industry being so hyper competitive these days if the manufacturers having the most financial troubles (ie. Chrysler), might think "hey, if we cut back 5 ounces on Freon, it would still run fairly cold, but at a million vehicles, we could save big bucks". Now, whether or not that is the actual case, I can't say. But it sure seems strange what your experience was, mine was, and what so many are posting here. The AC hardware in mine is Nippondenso, which is in a lot of Toyotas (which I have owned a bunch of), and I have NEVER had a cooling problem. More like the other end you speak of "running you out".
    Anyway, glad it cooled down some...just in time for August!
    If the Throttle Position Sensor is bad he may get a premature signal to drop the A/C compressor.

Bests,
    Dusty
    Marsha,

At this moment in time Chrysler is actually not in as bad a shape financially as GM and especially Ford. But I find it doubtful that they'd short the gas charge to save because it would likely trigger a customer to visit the dealership for service where it would cost the company more for warranty service.

I'm pretty sure that there was an issue with the heater housings on the Mega Cab models and that Dodge had issued a TSB for poor A/C performance. I don't remember exactly what the defect was, but I seem to recall a full housing replacement was required. Have you experienced this?

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • jan01jan01 Posts: 9
    HI I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2003 RAM I STARTED TO TAKE IT TO MY DEALER BUT BEFORE I DID I HAD MY AC CHECKED AND I WAS LOW ON FREON. I HAD IT CHARGED UP TOO 2 LBS. AND I NOW HAVE COLD AIR ON BOTH SIDES. I TOOK A TEMP GAGE READING AND NOW I HAVE READINGS OF 40 DRGREES
  • leonnoelleonnoel Posts: 4
    My problem with my AC is that whenever I come to a stop the AC stops blowing out cool air. Has anybody had this problem? If I'm on the freeway the AC is great running nice and cool, once I stop or slow down to around 30 mph the AC will stop blowing cool air...it still blows just not cool anymore. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • whitenelwhitenel Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. Not only is it no longer cold, it seems to actually blow warm air, but only when I drive slow or come to a stop. Please let me know if you find an answer.

Thanks,
    Lewis
  • leonnoelleonnoel Posts: 4
    Lewis - Exactly...it does seem to blow warm air. If I hear anything I'll let you know. Hopefully, somebody has an answer on here!

Thanks,
    Noel
  • mquerrymquerry Posts: 1
    Hello all, I own a 2006 2500 Mega Cab. I have a funny issue with the AC and haven't seen anything else quite like it. Of course the dealer says it's normal...

After having the truck sit all night and finally starting it for the first time, usually during the heat of the day....when I turn the AC on, a loud "air bubble" sounds like it is going through the compressor and the truck shakes really hard for a moment, then the AC runs, somewhat normal. It hasn't always done this, it just started a few weeks ago. After having it happen about 15 times or so, it finally managed to break the little door in the venting that controls the flow.

Had that fixed, but lo and behold, the freon was down a little over a pound...conspiracy theory? Haha.

Needless to say, the problem only happens once a day, and it is usually only after I turn it on for the first time. It was explained that all of the freon drains into the bottom of the compressor and then turns to liquid???? Since liquid cannot be compressed, the sound I hear is actually the compressor "forcing the liquid" through the system? HUH? Anyways, anyone else having problems like this? Mike.
  • Hi, I'm having the same trouble with my AC in my 98 ram also. What door are you referring to in your compressor? What did you do to repair it? Is it an easy fix? Please let me know. I'm babying my truck now since it has 111,000 miles on it and the typical newer dodge life span has diminished since the good old cars!!! Thanks 66polara1 :confuse:
  • I have a 2006 quad cab, cummins engine. The ac is not as cold on the drivers side, and passenger side is actually warm. I will cylce both sides to hot and then back to cold and sometimes there is improvement but that does not seam to work. If it is cooler out side like the am it seems to work fair but when it gets warm when you really need it it acts up. Also any one had problems with periodic hard starting?
  • opiemanopieman Posts: 1
    My blower fan (for my AC / vent) stopped working, except on the high setting. The compressor seemed to work fine and I still had cold air. Now the High setting stopped working as well. A friend told me to change the Blower Resistor, and the dealershipped agreed. I did this, but nothing was fixed. The blower fan still does not come on. Its strange but today, I had it set to high (though I knew it wouldnt work) and the resistor was NOT installed and the fan on HIGH setting came on while driving down the interstate, till I killed it. Any suggestions? Help please.
    Opie
  • My 2001 Dodge 1500 360 4wd has 147,000 miles on it. I am having a surge in idle especially when engine is cold. Air conditioning will blow warm air after it has been operating correctly (cooling) for a while. I can turn the A/C off for a couple of minutes and it will start cooling again. There is a surge in rpm's at cruise speed about 200rpm. Could all of this be related?
  • murrillmurrill Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Ram1500 with the same problem. The following links will lead you to the solution and the parts needed to fix this problem:
    http://dodgeram.org/
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1995-index.htm
    http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1996/24-01-96a.htm
    I bought my parts at O'Rielly Auto parts but any good parts store will have the needed parts on their "Accessories" aisle. Part#47149-vacuum check valve and part#47430-hose assortment.
    Good Luck
  • mrchmrch Posts: 2
    I plan on keeping in touch you because I have the 2500 MC and already same problem AC AC AC. Please keep me updated as to what I may need to do as well.
  • Check you condensor fan. My 2002 started to do the same, then the engine light came. I checked the fuse and it was blown. Solved the problem after replacing the fuse.

Jim
  • I can not believe this...I checked my fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and it works. Thanks for the info. All summer it's been a pain in the butt and now I can fix it. Thanks Again!

Noel
  • I had a similar problem with my 02. The problem was in the actual fan switch on the dash. I turned the fan on and the light came on as my AC was on but nothing was blowing. I had the unit replaced at the dealer and it works fine today. There was also a recall in March of 03 on the steering column which caused the blower to shut off. Take a look on www.automotive.com and look under recalls. It will explain what the problem is. Maybe it could help.

Jim
  • Have the Shim pack behind the compressor pulley checked. My compressor would not come on and that was the problem.
  • did you fix your truck if yes what was the problem
    i do have the same problem , truck is been at the dealer 4 time already the problem still there
    warm air coming from passenger side
    thank you
  • zara3zara3 Posts: 12
    Hi, my 2002 dodge ram 2500 diesel is doing the same thing with the interior heat. Its cold until you turn the dial on the dash about half way and then its on full heat, no fine adjustment. Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
    I would love to find a way to fix it myself...someone said it might be the thermostat in the heater core. Wish i could find a diagram, so far my searchs have come up with nothing, and hopefully one doesn't have to pull the dash to get at it. Can anyone help with a little more info on this?
    thanks~~:)
  • zara3zara3 Posts: 12
    opps... meant heater housing..not core in my last post...anyway, is it hard to get at? Is it buried in the dashboard? Can anyone here point me to where i can find good information on how to access it and fix it? Thanks again :)
  • sorry, but i have made no progress--still have the same problem
    doug
  • tsaltsal Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I don't know if you have fixed your problem or not yet, but if it's not the fuse, you may want to check and make sure your A/C condensor cooling fan is coming on. I have the same problem and after checking the voltage at the fan, (13.73v or so) the fan must be shot.

Just a thought!

Good luck!!!!
  • Thanks for the info - my problem was with the fuse. Once I got a new fuse installed everything was working fine!

Thanks Again!
  • Hi all, I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, my question applies to the climate control cluster of the dash.

about a year ago i was driving home and the lights that come on to signal me that my AC is on or my outside defrosters are on flashed a few times then went out. at the same time the control knob that allows me to change where the air comes out stopped responding, along with the knob that controls heat. the blower switch still works, and the air blows out extremely hot, which is what the system was set to when it stopped responding. the air also blows out on the defrost/floor setting which is where it was when it stopped working.

i'm wondering if anybody else has come across this problem and if there's a fix. I checked the fuses in the box under the hood, couldnt find a box inside the truck to check. I really dont wanna pay a thousand dollars to have dodge tear apart my truck and fix this problem.

any help would be awesome.

also my infinity subs in the door went out about a year and a half ago. different forum i know, but i thought i'd include it in here too (got the nav version of radio head unit.)
  • teactteact Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ram 1500,the AC and Heat work fine but they will not blow out the AC vents. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help.
  • HELP! My 2001 2500 cummins has the same problem with interior heat as had happend to Zara3. "Its cold until you turn the dial on the dash about half way and then its on full heat, no fine adjustment." I have either no heat or full heat.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks for any help.