Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Test Drive - What Do You Think?

13»

Comments

• pmanzapmanza Posts: 34
    YIKES!!! And I thought I had it bad here in Calif. I'm paying approx $1200/yr for liability only for my 16 yr old on a 95 Ford Explorer. They said it would be $3500/yr for full coverage ($500 ded) on a new Hyundai Elantra. But $5000!!!!!! Parents have to get a second job to pay for that.
    Peggy
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    I would have to get a bicycle if my insurance was anywhere near that high.I carry full coverage with a $1000 deductible on my KIA and just liability on my 97 Chrysler .Thats for 300K,100K liability coverage.My premium for both cars last year? Under $500.
  • I believe the Prius is as "popular, resale-able and reliable" any of the other cars you mentioned. Probably even more so than those others. According to Consumer Reports, the Prius has the highest customer satisfaction of ANY car on the road. Yes, even higher than all other Toyota AND Lexus vehicles. :)
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    "However, I have heard of two issues that might dissuade me from purchasing this car, and I would like current Prius owners to comment on their own experiences.

1. Slow acceleration from 40 MPH to 65 MPH, i.e., accelerating to "highway speed."

2. Loss of traction in snow or gravel causes onboard computer to incorrectly think car is in idle and shut down electric power to steering wheel and brakes."

Can't speak to number 1.

Number 2 was a problem but was fixed in the 2007 model (as I recall - might have been the 2006). The problem was the traction control could not be disabled, and it was protecting the electric engine by shutting the car down instead of allowing a "rocking" technique.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I have a 2004. 1. Acceleration is not just good but great at all speeds UNLESS the battery boost is depleted from 5-10 minutes of severe uphill driving like going over a mountain pass. It gets back to normal when you come down the other side and the battery has a chance to recharge.
    2. There was a software problem that sounds like what you describe. It got a lot of publicity, thanks to GM and Ford PR firms. The fix was already being implemented when the [non-permissible content removed] hit the fan. It never happened to me and my computer had been updated a few weeks before as part of a group of TSBs.
    "There was a software problem that sounds like what you describe. It got a lot of publicity, thanks to GM and Ford PR firms. The fix was already being implemented when the [non-permissible content removed] hit the fan."

I never saw it from a GM or Ford source. It was reported by someone on this site.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    The failure was never attributed to GM or Ford. It just got a lot of newspaper and TV coverage considering there were about a dozen reported incidents out of 200,000+ Prius' on the road at the time.
  • steve1csteve1c Posts: 3
    I've put about 60,000 miles on my 2004 Prius, and overall I like the way it accelerates and handles. Mostly desert and mountain pass driving, between Las Vegas and California. I get 45-50 mpg typically, depending on how much I have to run the lights and air conditioner or heater. About 50-50 city-hwy driving ratio. No problems maintaining 75 up & down the mountain grades or dealing with the crazy LA-Vegas friday afternoon free-for-all traffic on the I-15. :)

My squawks :( some annoying torque steer when cornering with heavy acceleration; crosswind gust sensitivity (it's a light vehicle, so not unexpected); and a recent (bad) experience with the 12V aux battery (details of which I will post in one of the other forums).
    Your original comment: "It got a lot of publicity, thanks to GM and Ford PR firms."

Hence, my clarification on the source of my information (not from the press).
  • chiplchipl Posts: 3
    Not sure of the rules on replying to VERY old posts, but always been interested in the Prius. Now at a point in my car ownership I decided to take one for a spin. The short of it.... I loved it! (Want to add I I have read many posts in the forums here on the Prius and loved the guidance.)

The ride was smooth to me on the short circuit in the Tysons Corner area of Virginia. Acceleration for the way I drive was up to par for my needs. More will be known when I rent one for the weekend perhaps.

The things I liked about my short time with the 2011 Prius was of course the MPG, dooh! The ride was very comfortable, maybe more so than my Subaru 2003 Baja - which was always nice on long trips. But it seemed smoother and of course quieter. The front cabin was comfortable, rear seat area seems it would work for trips with friends. What won me over is the trunk space.

Seems to be more than enough space for me and my better half for any road trips - without the need to fold down the rear seats. This has been a concern at times in my Baja and their Yaris in road trips. We never liked exposing our luggage. The benefit of the fold down seats will help in some cases with the potential loss of the bed of the Baja.

I am torn though - even as I plan on a rental of the Prius - just wish there was a car. Another factor as I look towards buying a new car is one that I don't want it to look too dated 7 to 10 years out. Along with reliability, so far the Baja and Prius fit the build. The Corolla doesn't stand the test of time IMO - nor does it ride.

In the end MPG may rule the heart over the mind...
13»