Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Dash & Instrumentation Questions

Comments

• Can anyone explain why while trying to go from Vista,Ca to Bakersfield,Ca our new 06 Prius took us WAY out of the way and tried to put us on sidestreets before we finally cancelled direction and drove the route we knew?
  • Probably because the nav route options did not have all options selected...you might have chose "no freeways".
  • I could have missed that but I dont believe so...
    Thanks for your reply.
    I do have to say the Nav in the Prius did a Fantastic job handling the back roads around Vista. Believe me thats no small task considering all the construction and at night. and
  • Hi,
    I have a 2004 Prius with the GPS. The day before my 60,000 mile checkup, my screen went berserk and showed little or nothing - and radio and heater stopped working. I brought it in, paid $400. for the checkup and was then told that they'd have to order a part to get the GPS and all that's attached to the screen controls, radio, heater, monitors. That part and the installation would cost around $1000.
    After I went ballistic, I've been trying to find out who I complain to about highway robbery. One part! $1000. I'm only a teacher but I do know that unless it's gold or diamond-encrusted, it shouldn't cost $500-1000.
    I love my Prius and the mileage - but I'm really questioning the Toyota engineering system. By the way, they said that after 3 1/2 years, that part is out of warranty.
    What do I do? Thanks, Lorrainey
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,043
    A quite a few of these went bad. Most under warranty. I guess Toyota saved a few bucks on this one. That seems to be the going price. This is why so many folks buy the extended warranty. Many more very expensive parts to go bad. You are not alone in this problem.
  • beaudbeaud Posts: 3
    Okay, so this is a small problem but one that nags me. I have a 2006 Prius and the outside temperature reading on the main display is very slow to react. I live in the desert where temperatures are extreme. To give an example of what I mean, I exited my cool (85 deg.) garage and travelled 5 miles or about 10 minutes of driving. The outdoor temp reading was 86 deg. when I left the garage and still 86 deg. when I exited the car 10 minutes later. The trouble was that the actual outside temp was 110 deg. Now according to two separate Toyota dealers, they claim that a slow temp response is normal. It takes 15-20 minutes to obtain a correct reading. I find that to be a bogus explanation. They said this is common on the Prius and Solara models. I find that hard to believe and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Well I don't know what Toyota does re the temp reading, but in my previous car it was programmed to read only once every 10 min or so. It's a digital computer controlled thing. It could do whatever the engineers wanted. They do this so it doesn't fluctuate too much due to engine heating when stopped. Mine seems to change faster than what you are reporting. Perhaps every 2-3 min. But I'm running in much cooler temps than you.

I wanted an inside temp reading as well, so I purchased a National Geographic inside/outside temp gauge ($10) and stuck it on the dash with velcro. It tracks the temp instantly, but is not controlled by the computer, sending the data on the CAN bus like the car.
  • gfr1gfr1 Posts: 55
    I have a "S-model" Mercedes and it is much the same way. When started, it will maintain pretty much that temp for several minutes, before updating. Once the updating starts, it will then respond fairly quickly, but not during the initial operation. I asked the Mercedes service why that was and they said that the input was used for other computer services that didn't want the early and fast reading changes, but I don't recall what they were. I haven't paid any attention to the wife's Lexus RX330, because you have to bring up an info page, but it likely is similar. GR
    Can anyone tell me if they have successfully disabled the "Agreement" message on late model Priuses prior to accessing the GPS maps? I was told by Toyota that the early models could be disabled but they eliminated this disabling feature in the later models ('04-'07). I am sure someone has figured a "hack" to get it disabled.
    GAWD it is annoying..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Im all for the Hack...as long as it isnt a warranty - disabling event
    Well, if you really want that, this device does it.
    http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

I don't think it can be done in software. This is a hardware fix. They have to remove the motion pulses from the system.
    Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. I know Toyota won't do it. There's too much liability involved ! ! ! ;)
  • Someone I know :cry: ignored their GPS warning message, and as a result I lost my wonderful-300hp tuned WRX wagon. The GPS is pretty engaging, and psychologically a lot of people can't get themselves back on traffic. The Suby saved her, but lost its own life. :sick: Now I drive a Prius.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,811
    "Someone I know ignored their GPS warning message, and as a result I lost my wonderful-300hp tuned WRX wagon. "

Yes, but many systems won't even allow the passenger to operate the GPS; they lock the controls while the vehicle is moving. Stupid, since all vehicles have passenger seat weight sensors that could be used to deactivate the GPS motion locks when a passenger is in the front seat.

Of course, people could put a heavy object in the right seat, but then, people can also drive the vehicle into a telephone pole, or through a red light, if they want. There is no fixing people who just want to drive badly.
  • suirpsuirp Posts: 4
    My 2004 Prius with 26000 miles and out of warrenty 6 mons. has inoperative display screen as described in another post. Will Toyota honor TSB to replace screen after warrenty expires? They quoted me $4000. to repair. I will contact dealer tomorrow with info. I took off this site.

Disgusted with what I thought was a dream car.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,811
    "My 2004 Prius with 26000 miles and out of warrenty 6 mons. has inoperative display screen as described in another post. Will Toyota honor TSB to replace screen after warrenty expires?"

What makes you think it is the TSB? Electronics break sometimes...
    I think you misunderstand "TSB". It stands for "Technical Service Bulletin". It is not a warranty notification. It simply says in effect "be aware, this could be an issue". The 2004s were the only ones with this problem, and it's possible Toyota might be persuaded to pick up -some- of the costs for replacement. But it would generous of them if they did, so contact them with that in mind.
    there is no misunderstanding on my part re: the "TSB" for this failure. Obviously, if the 2004 was a problem they corrected it in later models and should repair the defective ones. It is not a matter of generosity, but good will to a loyal customer who will be driven away by their indifference. So far, Toyota will pick up half and I am waiting to hear from my dealer about the regional distributor on the other half.
    If they install a refurbished screen, as I suspect they will, it will be a $400.cost. Certainly that is a small price to pay for "GOOD WILL".
    Just a follow up on the failed display screen, it was replaced by the dealer yesterday at no charge to me!! A little determination and no backing down got the job done.

Just persevere and don't take NO for an answer.
  • pat55pat55 Posts: 1
    just bought a 2002 prius...how do you set the stations, and how do you remove the radio to add a satellite radio
  • scottc3scottc3 Posts: 109
    I thought I posted this before, but don't see it, so if it's around, sorry for posting again.

I'd like to set up the 5 quick buttons on the Nav system to search for the nearest "Sears" or "Costco".. or "Hospital".. is there a way to do this? I can see how to set it up to search for a specific place I have already programmed, but the above would allow for a more borad search and be dependent on where you are. If I was in LA, it would tell me the closest Hospital to my location, the same if I was in San Jose.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Scott
  • Hi uall-jut got an 08 prius with navigation and the fleet dealer boss told me that he had a customers son find extra voice commands on line, ie: changing the actual voice and more than the enclosed 3 languages, and other goodies. The new honda has 600 voice commands as opposed to prius's 100 commands. Who makes the prius's gps and does anyone know that this can be done?-that is, adding more commands
    thanks for your info-james
    I have noticed, as a new owner, the steering wheel lights are very dim - maybe just a reflection of other interior lighting. I tried moving the dash lights, dim / bright, which work fine, but do not control the steering wheel lights. Is there a control for this, so I can see the controls better on the steering wheel?

Thanks

sc
    Turns out, there are NO steering wheel lights, just a 'glow in the dark' label or something like this. Suppose I'll get use to this.

sc
    I've reviewed the 2 pages of ICONS for the NAV markers but find there is no airport / plane icons. Anyone know of a way to get more icons or edit the ones in the system. Would be real nice if there was a memory reader we could access.

Thanks

sc
    For those of you that have had Prius's for a few years, how are the dash / steerning wheel buttons wearing? Is the white lettering warn off? Are there signs of wear on these buttons? If so, is there some plastic covering that can be used over these to prevent wear?

Scott
  • The infamous exclamation point has lit up. At the top left corner of the navigation screen there is a lit icon of a headlight. My lights are all working. Anyone have any ideas.
  • mac49mac49 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2005 prius in April..Last week , temperature dropped to teens, my speedometer registered I was going 70 miles. As near as I can tell it should have registered 35..it is off about 35 miles per hr. Also, whenever I add about $7.00 in gas it does not show on gas gage. I wonder if I have a sensor problem..and if anyone out there has problems I indicated..Thanks
  • I have experienced wildly fluctuating gas gauge readings in my 2004 Prius.... example, two tenths when I shut down - eight tenths when I start car again. Happens roughly 2 out of 5 tanks of gas. I am discussing this issue with Toyota Customer Service. I understand the fluctuations of the "bladder" system, but can't tolerate running out of gas (and battery) - which has happened. Anyone else have this experience?
  • eprupiseprupis Posts: 30
    I don't know about the gas gauge but there is one possible explanation for the speedometer reading. On occasion, I have inadvertainly hit the miles/kilometer toggle and switched to Kilometer readings. This will indicate a speed about double your actual speed.