Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Dash & Instrumentation Questions

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Well, since the battery in them has been shown to last 16 years or whatever, hardly a problem, is it? You generally keep a car 10+ years? :surprise:
  • Who Knows if any battery gauge or oil gauge is exactly accurate? Many cars only have an idiot lights for battery and oil nad most people will react to a red light, but never look a guage reading. I think Terry92270's rather subtle point is that if the battery gauge shows a low reading there is a problem. Some people don't look at any gauges (or manuals for that matter) when a simple glance or a simple read will solve the problem.

A co-worker wife's car stalled in an intersection. So she left the car there, called a cab, and went home. The car was towed by the city and cost over $300 to recover. His wife was stubborn and wouldn't listen to her daughter or look at any gauges. The five year old said " Mommy, your gas gauge says empty".

Power On,

MidCow

Goo Luck Carbon Based problems are the hardest to solve.

MidCow
    LOL :P

Mind you, I would prefer at least having the option of real gauges.... ;)

Truth is, though, so little mechanically is actually home repairable these days, either through it being way complicated, or warranty-voiding, other than idle curiosity, I do wonder if they would help.

The car shuts down at less than 20% reserve. It will charge to 80% to allow space for regenerative braking. If the wheels spin too much and the battery or motor gets too hot, it will shut down. That of course makes us carbon units frustrated, but there is hardly a workable solution to insisting on running on empty, like you said.

I used to collect Jags. After 8 years or so of mechanical hard labor, working to keep them running, I just gave up. Sometimes we just worry too much about cars we like. ;)
  • Terry92270 said: " used to collect Jags. After 8 years or so of mechanical hard labor, working to keep them running, I just gave up. Sometimes we just worry too much about cars we like. "

I ran into the same problems trying just to own and drive American cars. While I am por-American, I also believe in best-of-breed so no I ususlly only drive the Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus line. LOL it extends to lawnmowers, yard equipmnet, generators and power washers also.

I really like the feel of German engineering, just don't like the maintenance cost and soemtimes lack of relability.
    Especially in the Electrical area.

For that fact, I think the better long term hybrids will be Honda and Toyota. However, it is still TOO SOON to tell. In another 2-3 years we will see how the early Prius and Insights fair as the cars and their batteries age. Then the 20/80% HSD charging philosopy hypothesis will be proven or disproven.

Cheers,

MidCow
    MidCow....

I am still holding out for those small, breadbox size reactors! ;)
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    "I am still holding out for those small, breadbox size reactors! "

I think they are called "Mr. Fusion" in Back to the Future... :P
    It's even in my book, "Atoms for Peace". ;)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    I thought Atoms for peace was Ike's speech to the UN.
    Well, that is the trouble with Web searches, isn't it? :P

edited by Joseph F. Pilat
    foreword by Mohamed ElBaradei
    Woodrow Wilson Center Press 12/2006

$55.00 hardcover

Eisenhower's Atoms for Peace
    by Ira Chernus
    Hardcover - 1ST
    ISBN: 1585442194
    Pub. Date: November 2002
    Series: Library of Presidential Rhetoric

Aside from the above, back in the day dozens of industry groups published the speech, along with other materials, in small books, like I have.... ;)
  • mzxmzx Posts: 1
    The master system warning light comes on intermittently (flashes and beeps) in my 2006 Prius. Usually, it's when I'm braking on a downgrade. I've had the dealer do a couple computer scans to determine the source of the problem, but each time, the scan comes up clean. No record of a problem, no record that the light came on. And of course, when the technician takes the car out, he can't duplicate the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Can anyone explain why while trying to go from Vista,Ca to Bakersfield,Ca our new 06 Prius took us WAY out of the way and tried to put us on sidestreets before we finally cancelled direction and drove the route we knew?
  • Probably because the nav route options did not have all options selected...you might have chose "no freeways".
  • I could have missed that but I dont believe so...
    Thanks for your reply.
    I do have to say the Nav in the Prius did a Fantastic job handling the back roads around Vista. Believe me thats no small task considering all the construction and at night. and
  • Hi,
    I have a 2004 Prius with the GPS. The day before my 60,000 mile checkup, my screen went berserk and showed little or nothing - and radio and heater stopped working. I brought it in, paid $400. for the checkup and was then told that they'd have to order a part to get the GPS and all that's attached to the screen controls, radio, heater, monitors. That part and the installation would cost around $1000.
    After I went ballistic, I've been trying to find out who I complain to about highway robbery. One part! $1000. I'm only a teacher but I do know that unless it's gold or diamond-encrusted, it shouldn't cost $500-1000.
    I love my Prius and the mileage - but I'm really questioning the Toyota engineering system. By the way, they said that after 3 1/2 years, that part is out of warranty.
    What do I do? Thanks, Lorrainey
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    A quite a few of these went bad. Most under warranty. I guess Toyota saved a few bucks on this one. That seems to be the going price. This is why so many folks buy the extended warranty. Many more very expensive parts to go bad. You are not alone in this problem.
  • beaudbeaud Posts: 3
    Okay, so this is a small problem but one that nags me. I have a 2006 Prius and the outside temperature reading on the main display is very slow to react. I live in the desert where temperatures are extreme. To give an example of what I mean, I exited my cool (85 deg.) garage and travelled 5 miles or about 10 minutes of driving. The outdoor temp reading was 86 deg. when I left the garage and still 86 deg. when I exited the car 10 minutes later. The trouble was that the actual outside temp was 110 deg. Now according to two separate Toyota dealers, they claim that a slow temp response is normal. It takes 15-20 minutes to obtain a correct reading. I find that to be a bogus explanation. They said this is common on the Prius and Solara models. I find that hard to believe and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Well I don't know what Toyota does re the temp reading, but in my previous car it was programmed to read only once every 10 min or so. It's a digital computer controlled thing. It could do whatever the engineers wanted. They do this so it doesn't fluctuate too much due to engine heating when stopped. Mine seems to change faster than what you are reporting. Perhaps every 2-3 min. But I'm running in much cooler temps than you.

I wanted an inside temp reading as well, so I purchased a National Geographic inside/outside temp gauge ($10) and stuck it on the dash with velcro. It tracks the temp instantly, but is not controlled by the computer, sending the data on the CAN bus like the car.
  • gfr1gfr1 Posts: 55
    I have a "S-model" Mercedes and it is much the same way. When started, it will maintain pretty much that temp for several minutes, before updating. Once the updating starts, it will then respond fairly quickly, but not during the initial operation. I asked the Mercedes service why that was and they said that the input was used for other computer services that didn't want the early and fast reading changes, but I don't recall what they were. I haven't paid any attention to the wife's Lexus RX330, because you have to bring up an info page, but it likely is similar. GR
  • beaudbeaud Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if they have successfully disabled the "Agreement" message on late model Priuses prior to accessing the GPS maps? I was told by Toyota that the early models could be disabled but they eliminated this disabling feature in the later models ('04-'07). I am sure someone has figured a "hack" to get it disabled.
    GAWD it is annoying..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Im all for the Hack...as long as it isnt a warranty - disabling event