Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• I Love my Prius too. I bought mine 6 weeks ago not knowing about all this crazy stuff. I am not worried, I have seen no signs of anything being wrong with my car. I feel completely safe in it. My husband on the other hand does not. It's a shame because the car is staying..lol :) :
    I agree the manuals are very confusing but like you, we will get through it...
  • starobinstarobin Posts: 6
    Hi there. I just wondering if anyone knows statistic if any toyota car hd any issues after been recalled and serviced? I am asking because I was about to lease rav4 for myself and these last accidents with accelerated pedal kinda scary( I have heard that this is just a politic, but what about all these cases then?)

So, please can anyone explain me what is happening after the car was recalled and fixed, do they still on the risk list for this accelerated pedal issue? or other issues?

Thanks a lot
  • guy1974guy1974 Posts: 87
    Is it possible to fit three forward facing child car seats in the back row. I have the narrower car seats that are 17" wide so am wondering if there is at least 51" between the doors?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    According to the Gov. there are 100's of reports of cars still having accelerating problems. Out of millions that isn't many but there should be NONE. I guess you have to ask yourself the old Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry line. "Do you feel lucky today?" :lemon:
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Despite all the nay-saying and hysterics, I'd say don't worry about it.
  • cgollihercgolliher Posts: 16
    I too purchased a new 2010 Prius thinking all this brake stuff was "nothing to worry about." However, I experienced brake failure with 1000 miles on my new car and now I don't feel so intelligent driving the thing!!!!!Acutally, I feel stupid. Should have been smarter and paid attn to what was going on. Several people asked me if I was crazy when I drove up in my new sleek beautiful blue baby. Well crazy I was! People be smart, it only takes one car to change your life or to loose your life.
    As I understand it, there was not complete brake failure in the reports I've seen, but in any case, there's now a recall for it, correct?
  • guy1974guy1974 Posts: 87
    Yes there is a recall, but some people who had the "fix" have still experienced problems. I agree any car can have problems but looking through this thread you seem to be an ardent Toyota fan who seems to think they can do no wrong. Yes maybe the media have hyped this up, but they did the same with GM and Ford in the past - did you complain about that too?
    If you're talking specifically about the fix on the 2010 Prius' brakes, I'm not aware of any problems following the recall. Yes I'm an "ardent" Toyota fan, but that doesn't mean that I don't dismiss entirely the possibility of some as-yet undiagnosed problem underlying the "sudden acceleration" hysteria.

I don't think the Ford-Firestone problem was hyped up to the extent this one has been, and any serious GM recall issues occurred before widespread internet access. If you look through my posts, you will never find me bashing GM or Ford.

And in the distant future when I eventually replace one of my cars, I will give other makes besides Toyota a look (I do have one Nissan now). If you check my profile, you'll see that I've owned a number of different makes in the past.
  • stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    I love my 2004 Prius and my local dealer generally gets an A or an A+ but I'm really pissed that they are stonewalling the bladder/gas tank issue. I'm ready to call a newspaper to report that problem.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    I'm not crazy about that either,but from what I read,the bladder is a necessary evil.It keeps gas vapors from building up so close to all that electrical power.Sort of like self sealing gas tanks in WWII fighter planes.Ironically the Japanese did not have these,so their planes became flamers.
    If memory serves, vintage Corvettes also used fuel tank bladders -- maybe the 1963-67 Sting Rays?
  • oldsargoldsarg Posts: 21
    On a car quality scale of 1-10, I rate the Prius about a 3-4. It does not have the quality of a Lexus nor the quality of many upscale American, German, etc., made cars. Many on this blog tout the Prius as the savor of mankind. That is an uneducated mind set. I bought the Prius for the good gas mileage only. I have driven over 1 million miles in the past 20-30 years in four different parts of the world. I save a lot of money driving the Prius. The Prius is a small car and should be driven slower and with care.

As for the recent hype about problems with the Prius, several questions must be asked. First: Was the driver of the blue Prius trying to promote a scam and who is helping him to do that? Second: Are the models that are having problems made in the USA (versus Japan) and are the suspect parts made in China? Third: Are the media and unions behind the blitz to discredit Toyota? Fourth: Are the drivers that are reporting problems good drivers and knowledgeable about the mechanics of an automobile? Fifth: What modifications are being done to the cars (that are touted on this web site)?

In conclusion, is the Prius a great car? The answer is no. Is it a good car that gets good gas mileage? That answer is yes.
    All the Priuses are built in Japan,at least through the 2009 model.Not sure about the 2010.

Depends how you define as "great".It is great as far as it does what it's designed to do.In other words,it's a great economy car,with lot's of features that go beyond the econobox expectation.
  • First of all, you say it is a good car but only rate it at a 3..A 3 is a crappy car. Secondly, the cars you are comparing it to are luxury cars.The Prius is not a luxury car. If you call the Prius a good car , on a scale of 1 -10, you should at least give it a 5 :)
    I love my Prius. :blush:
    I find it strange that suddenly all these problems are popping up. Personally, I think a lot of it is BS propaganda to get us to buy US made cars... ;)
    Lets hope they never have to put that on your headstone. I think there is a lot to it. People for years have been told by Toyota that nothing is wrong with their cars and Toyota people for some reason think Toyota's are made by god. Now that we are finding out about the back stabing company people are finally waking up to the fact their piece of junk isn't because of driver error but Toyota error and lying to the public. :lemon:
    I suppose it's worth noting to Carol that you're a disgruntled ex? Toyota owner.

My 2 older Camrys have been bullet-proof, and I'm not worried about this alleged "sudden acceleration."
  • After the recent 911 calls concerning sudden acceleration, I drove my Prius to work a couple of times and decided to test shifting my vehicle into NEUTRAL. I consistently find that bumping the joy stick toward the steering wheel shifts the transmission smoothly into NEUTRAL. Therefore, I do not understand why anyone experiencing bursts in acceleration have any problem regaining control of the Prius. All of the professional vehicle operators with whom I work are mystified that anyone would decide to dial 911 and ask a dispatcher how to control a car rather than shifting gears to NEUTRAL or using the retarder on the Prius to allow the engine to serve as a braking mechanism. None of us would ever get on a telephone to regain control our vehicles in an emergency situation ~ any of us would be fired from our jobs for such a decision. On a daily basis, all of us encounter near-miss accidents because of people in cars talking on cell phones, failing to use turn signals, illegally passing, tail-gating, speeding, running stop signs, and spinning-out on snow around our vehicles. Pick-up trucks, and their operators, are reportedly the most deadly class of vehicles on roads in the United States. I would remove pick-ups and all-wheel-drive SUVs from our highways, especially those with Texas license plates, before I would start worrying about the alleged safety hazards of the Prius.
    Did you catch the part where he claimed on the 911 call he was afraid to shift into neutral because the car might "flip?" And he allegedly belonged to a Corvette driver's club? This guy is a fraudster of the highest order; more here.
    To play the devil's advocate,may it not be possible that this is an electronic problem and therefore the electronic shifting mechanism might not work?The tests you are running,I have done the same tests on mine,are on a normally functioning car and why would they not work?
    Meanwhile we continue driving our little terror,and hoping for the best.At the very least,hopefully the stop button might work,although that is electronic too....something to think about,nes pas? :sick:
    If it's such a "little terror," why not dump it? My son has a 2006 Prius and thinks this whole thing is overblown. He's not worried to say the least.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,549
    edited March 2010
    If you slap the lever into neutral the engine actually stops in a 2010 Prius and you start coasting. Also you can press the start button for 3 seconds and the engine will shut off.

So if people are saying that NEITHER of these actually separate electrical functions worked for that one time, and cannot be replicated to fail thereafter, by anyone, ever... .....pardon my personal skepticism.

I do feel the weird braking sensations are real, and correctable, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 2010 Prius to anyone. I think they are brilliant cars. As a driving enthusiast, I don't prefer them, but it wasn't advertised as a sports car.

VISITING HOST

Seems like Republicans hate this car,but I cannot imagine why.
    Easier said than done.Unfortunately I did not do my homework until after I bought the car.I had no plans to buy one,but my wife fell in love with this one ....and that was the end.
    Mr Host,Respectfully,you are missing the point of my post.I know these things will work in a normally functioning Prius.That is a given....but since the entire electronic system is interconnected,will any of these solutions work when you really need them.i.e.while the Prius is in a UA mode.
    PS I hope I never find out for myself :(
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,549
    The idea that the brakes, the start button and the throttle controls and the shift lever over-ride will ALL fail ALL at once, and then never, ever be reproducible, is....well...unbelievable to me.

It is a cheap car that gets good mpg but since there is NO AMERICAN CONTENT it is a FOREIGN MADE CAR that provides NO american jobs thus no reason for any party, Dems or REpublicans to favor it.
  • dgr124dgr124 Posts: 9
    Got mine last summer. It is NOT in the league of Lexus, or German luxury cars. Why a previous poster would make that comparison is beyond me. It is a very interesting car. I easily get in the 50s MPG. (Currently reads 57.2) But lower in cold winter. I have had no braking issues. Has been taken in for the recall reprogramming. Took it on interstate at 70. Kept foot on accelerator. Slid shifter to neutral. Car and engine slowed down. Even with foot depressing accelerator. Again was going 70. Kept foot on accelerator. Depressed brake. Again car slowed down. Did same thing with pressing start button for several seconds. Car slowed down. So at this point feel very comfortable with the car. Roomier than it looks. It was not meant to be a luxury/sports car! Ford has Fusion hybrid, but that is the old but tweeked Toyota version. Looked at it, but costlier and less mpg and no folding rear seats.
  • Since August 2007, and each & everyday as I drive my 2007 TOYOTA Prkius, I become guarded by immediate squeeezing the steering wheel and by applying extra pressure to the brake pedal because of my near death experience while driving sandwiched between a 16-wheeler truck in front of me, a CADILLAC SUV on my bumper at a steady speed of about 60mph along acurving two-lane Georgia' Highway #121 when the 2007 PRIUS suddenly accelarateda towards 80mph that would have rammed the rear-end of the 16-wheeler If I did not ride and maintain maximum pressure on the brakes. At such speed, I feared the on-coming cars from the right passing lane of traffic and feared the roadside gutters off-road left. So I held on for dear life checking for a safe exit in front of me and hoping the CADILLAC SUV would get off my rear bumper as I road the PRIUS' brakes. With luck, a "trafic god" allowed me a road view ahead an opening & off-road right of two roadside Trash Dumpster that I successfully made an exit and stopped. As I pushed the TOYOTA Prius Stop-button, I still remember the whine sound of those two front-wheeled Hybrid Electric motors as I saw smoke streaming over the front hood. That's when i bailed out of the Prius. A witness stop to assit me upon seeing that I was removing my luggage and travel kit. AAA Auto was contacted to arrive and towed the TOYOTA Prius about 45 miles back to the original TOYOTA Dealership/Service Center that five(5) days later issued me its Service Invoice that read..."Carpet-Mat causedd the accelarator pedal to become stuck.
    So I have been "stonewalled" since 2007 by TOYOTA. I hope that TOYOTA CORP will provide restitution to others and me that have experince TOYOTA's coverup of its "electronic glich" from serveral years past!
    That is a horrible experience.I have two questions.Are you still driving this same Prius and did pushing the on/off button really shut the motor off? It was not clear on that point from your narrative.