Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Navigation

Comments

• The navi manual does tell how to delete previous destinations.

Going somewhere you shouldn't be? LOL (just kidding)

Mrbill
  • webby1webby1 Posts: 209
    Good one...LOL
    Just being lazy...when I got the car ( wife's car ) there were couple addresses someone else programmed....seriously !
    Thanks,
    Webby
  • Just bought a 05 with navagation but I have no idea to work it. I believe there is a voice command option also, but again the Honda dealer did not provide manuals for this stuff (just another way for them to make $$$) any tips on how to set this sucker up? Any tips would be appreciated!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    There is a voice command option, with over 500 voice functions. How recently did you buy the car? I'd be going back to the dealer and demanding my owner's manual.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Voice command is not an option. All 2003 through 2007 Navigation System-equipped Accords have voice controlled navigation, climate control and audio sytems. Your dealer's service advisor can show you how to operate the system if you purchased a used 2005 vehicle and don't have its separate Navigation System manual. You should contact the former owner and ask for the manual, or just buy it. The car came from the factory with two manuals.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    What is the difference between "voice command" and "voice controlled"? Sorry if that's a dumb question. :blush:
  • Yeah, I need to get to the dealership. I just bought it 2 days ago for my wife. We love the car. I did have a chance to sit down and play with the voice command last night and I did figure out some some stuff via honda.com and by trial and error. Is it really worth getting the latest version? I am just at young guy who really likes to use a map, but we could not pass up the deal we got on this car. It would be great if the system had a demo built in. Also, I need to get the NAV code and some other code, where can I get those and how much does it cost?
    Well, there are 500 voice commands sort-of "pre-programmed" into the system. An example of one might be saying "Air Conditioning, Seventy-three degrees," or "CD Track Four."

The system is "voice controlled" with individual commands.

No question is stupid! :)
    Right, but blane said "voice command is not an option" and then he said that they have "voice-controlled" navigation. I don't understand the difference. (Sampowers was asking about a voice command option for the navi system.) :confuse: :)

Actually, looking back I see that you said that there is a voice command option, so now I am :sick:

:P
    What he meant (I think) is that it isn't a seperate stand alone option from the NAV. You either get "NAVI, with Voice Activated Controls" or no NAVI at all.

I shouldn't have used the word "option" and instead should have said "feature."
    Pat,

The terms control and command are used interchangeably. You press a button on the steering wheel and speak your "commands" to the system (such as "Go Home", "XM channel twenty-eight", "Radio ninety three point nine FM", "Fan speed two", "Passenger temperature seventy one" etc. Simply put, your voice controls the system by commanding it to do whatever you wish it to do.
    This is why I asked the question - in your response to sampowers you said:

Voice command is not an option. All 2003 through 2007 Navigation System-equipped Accords have voice controlled navigation, climate control and audio sytems.

Now you are saying the terms are interchangeable, which is what I thought all along, and that's why I asked what is the difference. To me, your reply says they are two different things.

Sorry, I'm certainly not trying to argue with you, not at all, but I was confused by your first response and that's what prompted my question. If the point is that voice control/command is standard, not an option, then it all makes sense and it was indeed a dumb question! :D

Which will not stop me from asking "dumb" questions in the future, I assure you! :P
  • TT One is sweet and $399 is a great price for some reason I thought it was more. Did the tomtom map updates for North America figure into your decision to go with the One?? I also a agree it's good when switching cars (say if you are renting obvi) but it is also pretty freaking cool that you can use it on foot while walking around town! :surprise:
    No problem Pat. Just for clarification, my original post #39 use of the term voice command was in specific response to sampowers's post #37 where he wrote: "I believe there is a voice command option also, but again the Honda dealer did not provide manuals for this stuff".

Otherwise, I always use the term voice controlled to describe my Accord's system.
    snapcracklepop,

You may not have been aware of the fact that the Garmin nüvi series units have a user-selectable pedestrian mode too.
  • Yup TomTom and Garmin are two solid companies. Honestly when you have two productst that are that good you have to look at the small details/differences and decide which ones are the most important to you. For me it's:
    -user friendly...my life is too busy to mess around with any sort of complication
    -good maps: tomtom I can now say has the best maps in north american do to the recent update link title
    -lastly this one is kinda picky but i really like the fact that tomtom has an arrow on the main screen advising you of which direction your next turn will be in.

That's cool that the Nuiv has a pedestrian mode similar to the tt one. Other good tt products that are worth loooking into b/c they are cheaper but you don't carry them around on foot are the tt 510 and tt 910 :shades:
    snapcracklepop,

You might not be aware that the Tom Tom One does not speak the actual names of the streets. It just says turn left, turn right, etc. The Garmin nüvi series units have Text To Speech (TTS) that say turn left onto Main Street, turn left onto Broadway, etc.
  • neteng101neteng101 Posts: 176
    My first TomTom One died within 14 days, have a replacement now. It just stopped turning on. FWIW, I don't need the names of streets told spoke to me, TTS is no biggie IMO. I think Garmin is a better knowing overall name in the GPS space though. The TT One is easy to use, but the durability is my biggest concern at this point... I think the Garmins are probably less prone to failures. If only it was the same price for a Nuvi that's comparable to the One.
    neteng101,

I have extensive experience using my 2004 Accord's Navigation System, which does not use TTS. I also use a Garmin nüvi 350 in my wife's car and in rentals. The nüvi uses TTS. Text To Speech is a major safety advantage since the driver keeps his or her eyes on the road, rather than on the screen.
  • kcrossleykcrossley Posts: 172
    Where can I purchase the latest DVD for the stock Honda Navigation System?
  • kcrossleykcrossley Posts: 172
    Thanks Mr. Bill. Since I live in the Baltimore/Washington area, it doesn't look like the 2007 update is worth it since I would be upgrading from a 2006 Accord. Can somebody confirm this for me? Thanks — Kelly
    kcrossley,

If you updated to a one year newer disk, you would probably not find any significant advantage. Taken as a whole, updated maps for the entire continent of North America contain many changes. But how many of them affect the limited areas in which any one of us drives as an individual?
  • When you say "not worth it" are you referring to the update being the same version that you currently have? If so, you should verify what version DVD you have to what is being offered.

As already mentioned, to get a 1 year newer DVD for most people probably isn't worth it. Sure, you may locate a gas station on the navi system only to find it's now a Walgreens, but 1 year isn't going to make a big difference. I'm still using my DVD that came with my 04 Accord, and for the most part it's just fine. The only time it can be aggravating is trying to find a road that turns out to be in a new subdivision.

The DVD's are always going to be somewhat outdated since things change faster then they can edit the database.

Mrbill
  • TTS sounds good but superior maps with the TeleAtlas having the most update maps in North America is more important to me. Plus I like 3D maps on the tomtom 510 and 910, which is an advantage over comparable garmin units....if we are going to compare nuances. :)
    Plus I like 3D maps on the tomtom 510 and 910, which is an advantage over comparable garmin units....

My StreetPilot 330 has a 3Dimensional Mode (which gives a Bird's Eye View). Is this what you are talking about? I realize mine is a relatively base model Garmin, but it still has this feature...
  • I checked out all of your links they are legit but they are also dated.

The new North American TeleAtlas maps include:

410,000 miles of new roads;
    6 million new household/business addresses;
    500,000 new POIs;
    improved road detailing;
    updated shopping centers, golf courses, etc.

please refer to article (from thread) and the thread posted below:
    link title

Plus Quote from thread:

"I have checked about ten different errors that are on my 910 and just about all of them have been fixed when I check on http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com . Mapinsight also has some new streets that opened up about a year ago that aren't on the 910 maps. I don't know if my error reports had anything to do with getting them fixed but I hope that if any of you find map errors that you take the time and report it to teleatlas at http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com The one error that I know didn't get fixed is an bridge off ramp that is open only to bikes and pedestrians but is closed to cars which is shown as a regular off ramp. They did fix the closed off ramp which is on the other side of the bridge though. I checked this against Navteq's latest database and they still have it wrong."

.....You be the judge :shades:
  • that would have been smoother if I could have posted the links correctly :mad: ...anyways check em' out

article:
    http://crunchgear.com/2006/12/21/to...es-new-mapmaps/

thread: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74715&SearchTerms=,tomtom,- maps
    snapcracklepop,

I'm still waiting for you to answer my request: "You wrote "superior maps with the TeleAtlas having the most update maps in North America is more important to me." Please provide some concrete data to support that contention."

You've posted certain TeleAtlas update information, but how have you determined that their maps are more up to date than Navteq's? Please provide a valid link.