Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Real World MPG

patpat Posts: 10,421
What are your day-to-day mileage experiences with your Echo?

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Well, I guess I asked for it, eh?! I just didn't expect such a quick response! :-)

Well, the running average, now covering almost 10K miles, has just edged back up above 41 mpg, in my '02 5-speed. But I fear this tank coming up, with pretty much 100% A/C use, will drag it down a bit again. This car is amazingly consistent though, with the running average hovering right around 41 mpg and no fill-up ever being more than about 5% off the mark above or below.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• marikamarika Posts: 39
    I posted this originally in the general section of echo discussions:
    #5034 of 5053 first mpg report by marika Jul 09, 2006 (5:45 am)

I've had my Echo for about 3 months now. It took me that long to go through a single tank of gas! Here are my stats:

-2001 5spd coupe
    -flat N. Fla terrain
    -exclusively city driving
    -50% heavy, 50% light traffic
    -exclusively short trips (<4 miles)
    -light but constant a/c use (lowest setting)
    -9.02 gallons, 341 miles = 37.7 mpg.

I was hoping to break 40. I drive like a granny, coast as much as possible, irritate the mess out of the people behind me, etc.
  • val61sfval61sf Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 Echo which I purchased new. It has been a great car. I drive about 50 miles each day, almost all is highway. I usually average about 33-35 miles per gallon in the summer when the AC runs continuously. I live down near Galveston, TX with the current average temp of 95 degrees. When I run up to see a friend in North Texas, I get about 39 miles to the gallon... again runnng the AC. I'm looking to make a trade later this year and have thought about getting the Matrix. Am curious about what differences I will notice between the two. And, not sure whether to get a 2006 as they close out or get the 2007 (before they make the rumored changes in 2008).
    Having owned both, I will say you will find the Matrix to be a LOT bigger, and visibility out the back will be significantly less. You will also get more comfy seats and an even more upright, minivan-like seating position, if that is possible. It will have sharper handling obviously, but unless you get the top-line XRS it is nothing more than comfy-sporty, rather than a true handler. Lots of understeer, as much as the Echo if not more.

And your gas mileage will drop by about 20%, if my experience is anything to judge by. For a car that is no quicker off the line, but obviously will hold a lot more stuff inside.

And there will be no difference between the '06 and '07 I assume, as this current generation is in its twilight years. If they delay the Corolla as they now say they will, there will be an '08 too, and by this time next year there may be cash rebates, so if you can wait that long (or at least until winter), you may get a better deal.

Good luck! :-)

Well, this pretty much confirms my suspicions. With the extraordinary heat of late, I have been running the A/C pretty much 100% of the time, and tonight's fill-up at only 360 miles was 9.4 gallons, for a paltry 38 mpg on this tank. Not too good. :-(

That A/C is a killer for the mpgs. I think it has a much bigger impact than excessive speed does. I figure this is about an 8% drop in fuel economy for me, and might be the lowest single tank I have ever had with the car.

Could be a fluke too, of course, so with it appearing that the weather is going to continue unchanged for a while, I will probably have more tanks with a ton of A/C use, and I can see how I do then.

• pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I also own a 2001 purchased new. The odometer reads 146k Miles and my average over the last 5 years is 41.04. That is mostly commuting to work, 40 miles each way, 40% highway, 60% city.

Lately the AC is on most of the time but the mileage for the last three months has been closer to 42 mpg.

It is in winter where it drops to 36-38 mpg.
    long tank, finally filled up yesterday, and the little guy is performing like a champ: 439 miles and 10.5 gallons, which is close to 42 mpg (41.8 to be exact). :-)

It just keeps on truckin' - I am headed up to Yosemite in it on Monday for a short trip - I wonder what the mountains will do to the mileage.

results this time: 329 miles, 8.5 gallons. The exact figuring is 38.7, call it 39 mpg in my usual manner, still not the 40 or more I have come to expect. :-(

tonight's results: 391 miles, 9.5 gallons, so 41.1 mpg, I'll call that one 41. Love this car, even if gas has cheapened slightly - I paid $2.97/gallon tonight! That's the first time in AGES I have paid less than $3.

Also discovered a tire with a slow leak - dontcha just hate that? :-/

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    That's better than a fast leak! ;)
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    Many people believe running the A/C has more of an adverse affect on fuel economy than does cold weather. It's actually the other way around. Most people will only see a 3-5% drop in fuel economy when running the air, while cold weather will cause a 15-20% drop.
    almost no variation between winter and summer mpg in the Echo. It is a rare tank that falls below 39 mpg or rises above 41 mpg at either temperature extreme, a fact of which I am glad! :-)

I think the slightly poorer mpg of the winter gas and colder morning start-ups is offset by the almost constant use I make of the A/C in the summer.

But then of course, I live in coastal California, so.......seasons? What seasons? :-P

The smiley is because even with someone ELSE driving about 100 miles of this tank (I lent the car to a friend), it still managed 39 mpg this morning at the pump.

360 miles, 9.25 gallons, 38.92 mpg. And gas is down to $2.90/gallon as well! The little car definitely went easy on my wallet this morning.

this time, because I have a couple of longish trips to make tomorrow. So anyway, only 299 miles, putting in 7.0 gallons, which comes out to 42.7, call it 42 1/2. I think the pump may have shut off a little early though, so I will definitely average it with the next fill-up to get a more realistic mileage figure for both tanks.

And hey, $2.82/gallon means the whole fill-up cost me $20.02!! I can't remember the last time I filled up for $20, although once upon a time long ago that was what I anticipated at every gas stop.

I filled up tonight, 379 miles and 9.4 gallons, which I figured out is 40.3 mpg, call it 40 mpg. So, even averaged with what I thought was an unfull tank from last time, I got 41.5 mpg over the last 680 miles. Not too shabby...

:-)

Oh yeah, and gas is down to $2.69/gallon. The whole fill-up was $25 - any day now I will be able to fill up on a $20 bill again. Fantastic!

9.6 gallons. That's 41 mpg right on the nose. Go, go, Echo! :-)

without a fill-up this time. That's definitely one of the pluses of the fuel-thriftiness of this little car.

Did 454 miles, put in 11.3 gallons, which comes out a shade over 40 mpg according to my calculator. Nuttin' to complain about there! :-)

short tank: 247 miles, 6.0 gallons, for approximately 41.1, which I round to 41 mpg. :-)

this is getting repetitive! ;-)

385 miles, 9.2 gallons, which is 41.8 according to my calculator, call it 41-1/2, still it keeps the average up very nicely. :-)

which was 417 miles and 10.15 gallons. And included an oil change in there, keeping things flowing! :-)