Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Real World MPG

Comments

• kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,685
    Actual numbers: 173 miles /5.6 gallons = (almost) 31 mpg. A little disappointing. I was going no more than 35 mph. I wonder is the auto transmission in high gear at 35?
  • My mechanic told me that on many Toyotas and Hondas, including my 2002 Echo, the air conditioner turns on when the defrost is activated. This being winter, I use the defrost more often, so I suppose I have been inadvertently using the AC. My MPG has been a disappointing 32-34. So I've been trying to minimize my use of the defrost and I'll post soon when I'm able to convey my hopefully new improved fuel economy.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    True, but the compressor does not run much at all, especially below 45 degrees, so I bet you won't notice much, if any, difference.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I wonder is the auto transmission in high gear at 35?

It may be, but I bet the TC is not locked at that speed - the larger heavier Matrix I had wouldn't lock up the TC until 37 mph, so I bet the Echo wouldn't lock up until at least 40 mph or more, with its smaller engine. And if it's slipping, your gas mileage will be less than optimal.....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I got a tip to try pushing the OD on/OD off button to OD OFF which will make only 3 of the 4 speeds useable. So if you push the button and the engine revs up, then it must have been in 4th.
    But I think Ill try driving 40-45 until the next fillup and see if that helps...
    Had my second fillup on the new 2004 ECHO and again got 31 mpg, maybe a fraction over. Increased cruising speed to 45 mph from 35 mph and saw no improvement...
    The wife has been driving my old 2001 5 speed to work. My daughters car in in the shop and shes driving the wifes car. The ODO has 190 miles since the last fillup and the gas gauge is well below the half way mark. Probably way less than 35 mpg. I routinely get 35-38 mpg winter driving to work with this car...
    so I thought I would list yesterday's fill-up, 334 miles, 8.3 gallons, computes to a touch over 40 mpg, about standard for wintertime. The running average, now covering 3 years and about 54K miles, remains a shade below 42.

Even the brand new Insight, set to release in a couple of months, will only average 41 combined, and that's a hybrid! There's still nothing out there that's gas-only and will beat the fuel economy of the stick shift Echo. :-)

Why people spend $25000 on a Prius when they could have an ECHO (err...Yaris) for $14000 is hard to understand. The Prius will only "save" them $2000 in gas over its lifetime vs Yaris. Now theyre out another $9000! Nuts!
  • Well I won't bash the Prius and we've been through that debate before, but I'm definitely pro-echo. Based upon my very casual and unscientific observation, the price of used echos has come down with the gas prices. Back when gas was $4 a gallon, I saw lots of echos selling for 8-10k, and they weren't necessarily low miles or late models. But they seem to have dropped back since then, and I'd say now's the time to buy for anyone looking, before the gas goes back up, which I'm certain it will do in a year or so.
    I think you are probably right: look for the price of gas to go up again. Especially this spring/summer. But I have read "expert" opinion in the NY Times that says the price of $40 a barrel of oil currently is unsupportable. The economy is too bad for it to ever go up very much. Its possible the price will collapse. In any case I now own 3 ECHOs so I guess I gotta root for an INCREASE!
  • this is 2004 Echo 5 speed we get 40 mpg all the time. we have got in the 50-57 mpg. with good tail wind. this is our 2nd Echo we had 2000 Echo we bought new. it was a 5 speed to we got about the same mpg with that car to. i think 5 speed helps on mpg. :D
    Oh for sure, the 5 speed always helps a lot for mpg, but ESPECIALLY in the Echo, where the fuel economy spread between stick shift and automatic is particularly large.

Thats my experience too. My manual ECHO gets like 40 mpg and the automatic ones get like 31. Thats short distance driving.
    446 miles, 10.2 gallons, that's almost 44 mpg, 43.7 according to my calculator. :-)

As we put winter behind us here, I note with interest that this year I did not have a single individual fill-up under 40 mpg, as far as I can remember. In years past I have always had a sprinkling of 1-tank 39s and even a 38 or two, but not this year. Go Echo go! :shades:

my new 04 auto ECHO just returned 35 mpg this weeks fillup. Its been 31. Wonder if the summer blend gas is kicking in?
    Well I am planning to post my next fill-up as well in case it was an early pump shutoff, although in my case I am confident it was not, based on how long after the fuel light started blinking I filled up.

You can post the next fill-up too, and we can balance the two - in your case I know it could be a very long time before we hear from you!

Not only that but as of today Im on disability from work with a bad back. Wont be driving much at all now.
    Oh goodness, well be sure to rest up and good luck with your recovery!

Thanks. See the doctor Tuesday.
    Wow, tonight's fill-up was even better than the last: 389 miles, 8.75 gallons, that's 44.5 mpg! That's 44 mpg average over the last 835 miles, which I call darn good! :-)

Bet I couldn't do better in the new Insight.....

;-)