Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Real World MPG

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,691
    and yes, it was 41, not surprising given my track record with this car. 402 miles, 9.8 gallons, which is exactly 41 mpg. I'm just about to turn over 82K miles. :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dsemerydsemery Posts: 5
    2003 2dr sedan, 89k miles currently.

usually get 41 mpg, depending on AC use.
    Rear and passenger seats removed for better cargo capacity, negligible improovement in MPG.
    Mostly rural/highway driving on eastern LI which has some hills, but is generally flat. A couple trips to Toronto via the Adirondacks, similar milage.
  • mopar71mopar71 Posts: 31
    These cars get between 35 to 42 miles per gallon(MPG). If someone says that they get 50(MPG) they must be talking about MPH-miles per hour or they dont know math!I have 2 echos,a 2000 and a 2003.I also have 2 friends that have echos to! Nobody has ever gotten 50 miles per gallon.I also put Mobile 1 0w20 and still get about 39, now that I put royal purple in the trans it got me an extra mpg.It shifts a lot more smoother to.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,690
    I got 52 mpg once drive 162 mile to Atlantic City and back. One of the rare times I drive on the highway above 45 mph. I went 60-65 the whole way. I never repeated that so I dont know if it was a fluke. But I do have about 8000 highway miles under the cars belt at 80 mph. Then its gets a pretty consistant 42 mpg.
    It was probably a fluke,Once I went to a gas station and told the attendant to fill it up,The nozzle stopped pumping so the attendant assumed it was full,when I did my calculation(I keep a calculator in my car)I got over 60 mpg.I told the guy that The car was not full he gave me only 6 gallons,I told him to repump and sure enough he pumped an additional 3 gallons.When I redid the math it was 37 mpg.To do these calculations correct you are better going to the same gas station,this way the car is in the same position,also fill it to the top and zero the odometer.then when you go and fill it again(usually when its almost empty,then you do your calculation.miles devided by gallons.I just did mine yesterday.EXAMPLE=350.5 miles driven after the attendant filled it up he put in 8.837 gallons.I rezero my odometer for my next trip.350.5/8.837=39.662. I used my airconditioner quit a bit.
    I do use the same gas station even the exact same pump. I even buy almost exactly the same ammount of fuel every two weeks, five gallons. The only strange thing that seems to happen is that one week I get 42-44 mpg and the next week I will get 36-38. Cant explain that.
    Pshaw! I got 50 mpg in the Echo on two different tankfuls. It was a winter trip to SoCal, took the coast road (101) so more flat terrain and no 80 mph passing stuff, in contrast with I-5. Set the cruise on 65, never had to use A/C, was doing 500 miles per tank and putting in 10 gallons at a shot. That's 50 in my book.

I was doing one thing different on purpose to see how high I could boost my mileage, and that was instead of passing cars by speeding up, I would slow down behind them until the road was clear, and then pass them at 65 mph (101 is 4 or 6 lanes the whole way, in case you're worried! :-P). It was an evening drive both ways, neither day was Friday or Sunday, so I could do that easily as there wasn't a lot of traffic.

Another long trip I took in it, I was running 65-70 mph with higher-speed passing and had the A/C running all the way, and was still pulling 46 mpg in long highway stints.

The Echo is possibly the most amazing gas-saving machine sold by a major car manufacturer since the days of Geo Metros and the special hi-mi Civics of the late 80s and early 90s.

edit: when I am in town, the Echo is my commute car, and like kneisl1 I always fill at the same gas station, almost always at the same pump. Unlike kneisl, however, my mileage never varies much. 39 is a rare and low reading, 42 would be rare and high. Almost without exception the mileage is always 40-41 in town, and I fill it when the light comes on, so my fills are always 9.5-10 gallons. Gotta love that consistency! ;-)

Thats practically as good as a Prius would get on the highway. Prius does its best around town where the battery can come into play. Which is good because most driving is done there. On the road forget it, the battery isnt used and your lugging around 1000 pounds of advanced technology that might as well be a load of stone. Oh well at least the poor sods have their lie-o-meter pinball machine dashboard they can monitor the mileage on. Of course they believe it and think they are just the bees knees driving such a wonderfull car! All the while they have been goofed into paying twice as much for a car as an ECHO/Yaris. Which gets 80% (or better) of the mileage.
    I have done the same trip in the Prius, and managed 45 mpg or so. I would say if most of your driving is on the highway and you don't mind spartan equipment levels, you would be better off saving $12 grand and buying an Echo, now Yaris, than springing for the Prius.

But of course if you do a grinding stop-and-go commute every day and you like luxury features in your car, well then of course you should go with the Prius.

If you buy a Prius over a Yaris you will pay thousands for that decision. I would urge anyone considering such a purchase to do a carefull study of the bottom line. The Prius is not a viable economic proposition. (compared to the Yaris or better yet, a used ECHO)
    I think there are some very valid reasons to buy a Prius over an Echo or Yaris, they just have little to do with fuel economy.

1. You want to make a statement about the environment with your car. Prius does this outstandingly.

2. You want partial-zero emissions, as opposed to ULEV (Echo) or ?? (Yaris - is it LEV or ULEV? I think it is just LEV).

3. You want seat heaters, a 10-speaker factory stereo, cameras everywhere, keyless start, the list goes on and on. If you want a high-tech or luxurious car that gets fantastic gas mileage and has rock-bottom emissions, the Prius can't be beat, and the Echo isn't a contender.

If you are looking for basic transportation that is rock-solid-reliable, has high fuel economy and low emissions, and can keep up with the crowd on the road, well then Echo or Yaris is your man! :-)

Right. Toyota should make people sign a statement saying just that. It should also say "I understand I wont be saving any money."
    In 2000 when I went to the dealer,I was looking at the prius, the sales person asked me if I did highway or city driving,when I told him I only did highway he told me that the prius was no good,then he talked me into the echo,also at the time it was 10k vs 20k. the echo would have a shorter payback.I have never regretted that decision.
    That is commendable of the saleman. Although in the fall of 2000 when I bought my ECHO a Prius was $30,000 at my Toyota dealer. I would point out that if the Prius averages 10 mpg more than the ECHO (50vs40) then in 100,000 miles the Prius will burn 2000 gallons to the ECHOS 2500 gallons. At $3 a gallon thats $1500. It would only be fair to deduct any costs for repairing the hybrid system after the warranty expires. Which could be considerable.You chose wisely IMHO.
  • jbugkjbugk Posts: 1
    My ex bought a prius in 2002; I drove it and in it for four years, and it most certainly did not have a 10-speaker factory stereo. In fact, the sound quality was horrible -- sounded like chipmunks singing while playing toy banjos out of a tin can. Anyway, perhaps they've improved on it by now (perhaps not, I don't know). "Cameras everywhere" -- ?? Why would anyone want to spend that kind of money to have cameras everywhere. Thanks, but no thanks. I have no trouble with turning my neck to see what I'm backing up toward, and if I want a camera in my car, I'll pick one up at an electronics store and install one for a lot less.

Anyway, the Echo is INDEED a contender as far as I'm concerned. I just bought a 2004 used one, and it is just as "rock-solid" reliable as the Prius in terms of durability, in fact a lot of the parts look like they could be nearly interchangeable. Look on the net & you'll find several forums where people have ridden their Echos up to or past the 100K-mile mark and are writing about its integrity and reliability.

But yes, the Prius does beat the Echo on emissions (of course) when it's traveling at 15 mph in town because it's running on its battery.

So one out of three of your list of three -- it's an important factor, but if I actually had at least $15000 extra that I'd have to spend for a prius, would I put it in a car for around town, or could I buy 15 electric bikes.
    The engine of the Prius and the ECHO is nearly identical. When I bought my 2001 ans saw it side by side with a Prius I thought the Prius was a hybrid ECHO that cost over twice as much. I like the cars understated elegance however.
    Hey dude, not sure if you noticed, but I OWN the Echo!

And most of my remarks were directed at the current Prius model available since 2004. I have driven the pre-'04 (like your ex's '02) quite extensively, though, and I agree: there is nothing whatsoever about it that is high tech except the powertrain. And it was a fairly miserable drive at that, and did no better than the Echo did for gas mileage.

Now if I wanted all the gadgetry and they offered a Prius with a stick and some sort of handling package, I would probably look at it very seriously. But as things stand, I am enjoying my minimalist phase, and my Echo has yet to need a repair, now at 85K miles.

• fdelapenafdelapena Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I am a former Echo owner. I sold mine to a friend in need of a car since his literally fell apart. Anyway, I am not too knowledgeable about Prius other than I know Fuel Economy it has advantage over the ECHO, but you also have to consider the weight:power ratio. The Toyota ECHO (2105 lbs) is also lighter in weight than the Prius (Curbweight: 2765 lb). In addition, if you are into modification of your vehicle, the Toyota ECHO has more performance parts available for the then the Prius.
    Yes fdelapena you are right. The Prius gets about 10 mpg more than an ECHO. (maybe) So if the Prius gets 50 mpg and the ECHO 40 mpg then in 100,000 miles the Prius will burn 2000 gallons of gas and the ECHO 2500. At $3 a gallon that a savings of $1500. I bought my ECHO in 2000 for $13,100 bottom line taxes and everything. At the time a Prius was $30,000. Thats without taxes but also without a possible government tax break. Still that $17,000 i saved right off the bat. Plus interest on $17,000 over the past 7 years. So youre gonna havta do about 1,000,000,000 miles of driving just to break even.
    I think the weight of the battery is what gives the prius the majority of its weight.Maybe when they invent a smaller lighter battery.My first echo had 150K, my 03 has 103K and still going strong,I am currently getting 39mpg@ a constant 65mph. I am very happy with my Echo.kneisl1 is right the prius is not worth the money.Maybe when the big three come out with their own hybrids the price will drop!(RIGHT)I also heard that those batteries are expensive. :)
    The battery is heavy and also the electric motor and controls are heavy too. What we need is a 1.2 liter engine in a 1600 pound body. The 1982 Honda Civic!
  • fuzzy5150fuzzy5150 Posts: 1
    01 Echo, 152,416 miles. Last 12 week average; 47.14, high 54.63, low 41.71

Syn 5W-30, tires 44 psi, car empty, clean and waxed, max speed 55 -58, use as many hypermile techniques as I am comfortable with.
  • maarty10maarty10 Posts: 5
    My 2000 echo can get up to 350 kilometers on half a tank all highway. So thats about 47 miles per imperial gallon ( approx. 4.55 liters per ) This is with premium 92 octane and keeping it under 120 kms per hour. I have a k&n air filter, sythetic oil in the crankcase, iridium plugs, michelin x-ones @ 32psi, automatic trany. AC running. I find using cruise control helps with the better mileage too.
    my commute has been different the last few weeks, because two days a week I am going to an alternate office site, which is 20 miles each way on a 55 mph drive along rural roads.

And as a result, I am filling up a little more frequently, and getting...

...44 mpg!! Yup, three tanks in a row have proved it, the last was 419 miles, 9.5 gallons. This little car is a miracle worker.

The funny thing is when I do this, I get reimbursed at the rate of $0.485 for the mileage, and I can't figure the Echo is costing me more than about $0.10 per mile including gas (at the current price of $3.25/gallon) and maintenance, so I am getting paid extra for my volunteer duty. :-)

Twice now Ive gotten over 50 mpg driving at a steady 60-65 mpg in fifth gear on the freeway. I believe this isnt an aberation. If you can keep the speed to that its very rewarding mileage wise.
  • snifflessniffles Posts: 34
    2003 4 dr. Echo w/5 spd. manual, my last tank was 44.7 mpg., with 75% highway (about 65 mph) and 25% suburban driving, also used the AC very very little, my tank before this using the AC I got about 42.1 mpg, I also fill up all the time at the same gas pump at the same gas station (Exxon)so these figures a accurate
    Those are accurate numbers for a manual trans, some people on the board are saying that they get 50 or 60 miles per gallon,I just dont believe it.90 percent of my driving is highway doing a steady 65 and the best I do is 42.But I have an automatic trans. :)
    At a steady 60-65 mph freeway driving no stopping/slowing Ill get 52 mph. Done it twice now. I just rarely drive on the freeway...to bad! Oh. I should add in the summer. Mileage gets worse in winter.
    I agree! Who needs a stinkin' hybrid anyway??!! :-)

Ive read the Prius uses the same gas engine the ECHO does, only the valve timing is modified.