Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa Real World MPG

Comments

• Oh I agree that now and then you will get poor mpg due to this or that, but for him to get 22mpg consistently, I would think something's got to be wrong there.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    I too have a Versa that sucks gas like and old farm truck, and am taking it in this week for an air/fuel mix test to see if there is anything out of whack...

It has given us bad gas milage from day one, so perhaps there is something the dealership can find/fix.
    Now here comes the "but" I don't think anything they will find will explain why this car's little 1800 cc engine can't be giving EVERYONE who drives off in one, amazing MPG's.

I am now thinking the Versa engine is TOO small, and they made a mistake not putting in a bigger one, like the 2 ltr engine in the Sentra...to add credence to that thought, there is this comment from this board..

"And the 23 mpg freeway trip was to exchange the Versa for our Camry. Going from Orange County, CA to San Luis Obispo with the Versa got 23; the return trip in the 4-cyl 1998 Camry got 33."
  • I just took mine back to the dealer for its 3500 mile service and complained about the poor mileage. All they said was there was nothing wrong with the O2 sensor, and to keep my speed down and avoid fast starts. I have been using the cruise control on I95, keeping it at 60mph. So far, i've got 100 miles out of the first quarter tank, which seems to be an improvement. On my last tank of gas I got 25, which is a slight improvement, and am hoping this tank will get even better. i'll let you know.
  • yeddoyeddo Posts: 20
    All I know is that my mileage improved after about 7500 miles. In the city (combination rush hour and regular driving), I'm getting between 26 or 27 mpg consistently.
  • Hey Russvagt,
    I share your frustration. Same problem or real vs announced mileage (in l/100km). I went to my dealership and he told me to wait 5000kms (have a 2008 versa hatchback manual 6 speeds in Canada) and everything should be in order. Between you, me and the fence post, this is BS to highest level considering the present blog.

Just noticed something interesting this morning. On the Nissan US website, mileage has been revised to 26/31 mpg (city/hwy) http://www.nissanusa.com/versa/specifications-hatchback.html
    where for the same car in Canada the mileage is 36/45 mpg http://www.nissan.ca/en/buying/configure/default.asp?modelCode=B5LG58#topOfPage

GO FIGURE!..I am going until 5000kms are reached and then it's Court time if they do not want to take the car back.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    Just noticed something interesting this morning. On the Nissan US website, mileage has been revised to 26/31 mpg (city/hwy) http://www.nissanusa.com/versa/specifications-hatchback.html

EPA has revised its gas mileage testing protocol, and as a result of what they claim is a more realistic set of testing modes, the mileage figures for virtually all cars have gone down. This is not Nissan's consipiracy or anything like that, and the company is merely showing what EPA has rated under the new testing system:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratings2008.shtml
  • May be the difference in the MPG is because in Canada imperial gallons are used (4.546 liters per gallon) and in the US it is 3.785 liters per gallon, don't you think?
    Besides, every country's authority has its own method of testing the fuel efficiency, and comparing the mileage across national borders is not apples to apples and therefore not really meaningful.
  • Hi fellow Versa owners. I now have over 4,000 miles on my '07 Versa sedan (auto with CVT). I have modified my driving habits by using cruise control on highways, keeping it at or under 60mph, avoiding quick starts and keeping tires inflated to @35 psi. I still can't break the 26 mpg barrier. My last fill up was 25.7 i think. This is very frustrating as the fuel estimates at fuelecomony.gov average mid 28 mpg. I'm starting to regret not buying the Civic.
  • I have a regional Rep from Nissan.
    And once again I have to take my car to yet another dealer for a fuel consumption test.
    Nissan is telling me I am the only person complaining about the gas mileage problem.
    My car has tested fine on all diagnostic tests and yet I can't seem to get more than 15 mpg city.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    If the car tests to specs in whatever tests it is they do, then it almost has to come down to driving conditions/style. That's really the only thing left if there's nothing wrong with the car mechanically.

I know of someone who lives nearby, so they're driving basically the same roads as I am, but they get significantly less mileage than I do. The reason? They like to feel the snappy feel of the car, accelerating hard from lights, cornering hard, etc. So the fact that they get lower mileage then me with the same car has a rational explanation beyond "there MUST be something wrong with the car".

Driving conditions and/or driving styles are MAJOR factors in mileage performance. It hasn't mattered what vehicle we've had over the last 30 years, we've always been right at the EPA sticker numbers for our cars. Over the course of 9 different cars, that has to be attributable to driving style in combination with the roads we drive on.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

As a method to control the driving style/environment, what I always suggest is the following:
    (1) Take your car out to a freeway/highway. Immediately before you get on the freeway/highway, fill the car up.

(2) Drive the car, preferably using the cruise control if yours has it, for a minimum of one hour at a constant speed. Two hours is even better.

(3) Get off the freeway/highway, and immediately fill the car up.

(4) Calculate the mileage right there.

If your car gets a decent mileage per (4) above, meaning that it gets somewhere close to the EPA rating for the highway, then the car is fine. Any fluctuation of gas mileage should then be attributed to driving styles and/or environmetal factors, including such thing as the gasoline (i.e. E10 versus 100% gas - verify what your favorite gas station dispenses).

The control of the above procedure is to provide the car with an optimum driving condition that cannot easily be varied by driving styles.
  • My wife can't stand the fact that I can average 31 to 33 mpg when I drive her Versa, as opposed to the 26 to 28 mpg she gets! It all boils down to different driving habits! I must say, however, that the Versa is more prone to fluctuations in driving conditions affecting fuel economy than other vehicles I have driven! My '04 Toyota Echo rarely gets under 42 mpg regardless of how hard and fast I drive it, and I drive it however I like!
  • I was considering buying a Versa or Fit recently and ran across many Versa owners upset with the gas mileage. From what I read on different forums I believe that many owners are getting great gas mileage and many others are getting horrible gas mileage (i.e. well below the EPA estimates).

Everyone is talking about O2 sensors and whatnot, but I believe it could just be the odometer. Has anyone with bad mileage checked their odometer? Maybe, as a rough test, drive your Versa on a 10 mile (as logged by your odometer) journey from your driveway and take the same journey with another car. Verify that they both read about the same distance on the odometers. A slight variation on the odometer would totally revise your MPG calculations! Just a thought.
    I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that it's just the differences in driving styles and road conditions that different owners have.

Mileage discrepencies are not unique to the Versa by a long shot. One of the things I do around here is edit consumer submitted reviews on all sorts of different cars. Mileage complaints in reviews are very common, and most of the time are accompanied by listings of favorite features of the vehicle that read like this...

It really gets off the line fast, but the brakes wear out too soon and the mileage stinks.

Gee, I wonder why?

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I agree that driving styles and road conditions are a HUGE factor.

I also agree that mileage discrepancies are not unique to the Versa; I know several Fit, Civic, Corolla, etc. owners who are upset with their mileage. Case in point, my fiance gets low mileage out of her Civic, but when I drive I get really high mileage (she has a red-headed temper and always pushes the boundary between being on time and being late).

What I was concerned with was the number of drivers reporting that they were shifting before 3000rpm, going 55mph on the highway, setting the cruise to maintain speed, and using other techniques (besides the advanced and sometimes dangerous hypermiler techniques) to save on gas and are still reporting less than 25mpg. I figure these people deserve some type of answer (not that I know the answer, I was merely throwing out a suggestion that the odometer might be calibrated to a smaller tire or something).
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    My guess is that is a person is getting really poor MPG then there's some additional friction somewhere in the drivetrain, which could be a signal to a mechanical failure in the future of something.

It's funny to me when people say "it's the driver" when it comes to MPG, but then they never say that when it comes to water pump failure, transmission failure, AC failure, etc... Cars are not identical mechanically and if they were, then every part would break at the exact same time, which isn't the case. So that means engine and other components are slowly failing at different rates.

Maybe you have a AC compressor that's slowly failing and creating additional friction that reduces MPG slightly. The AC works, but the additional friction will cause it to fail earlier than average. Or some additional friction within the transmission. The hurts MPG and may cause the transmission to fail early. Or maybe some electrical component is drawing more electricity then normal...again this can hurt MPG slightly. And on and on.

So the sum of all these tiny imperfections in every component in a car will lead to different failure rates of parts, as well as different MPG. That's why MPG is such a broad range. So for those folks who are told it their driving habits and driving conditions, go get a rental car (the same as the car you're driving) for a week and compare MPG. If you're able to get better then aveage MPG in the rental, then it's probably not your driving habits or driving conditions...it's the car.
  • OK, I just spent the last couple of weeks pushing my Toyota Echo to the limits...I ran the AC constantly, I used "jack rabbit" starts and stops, I drove way too fast for each gear range, and way too slow for each gear range, I let it idle repeatedly, I started as soon as the engine "caught", I didn't shift gears either going up or down hills, basically tried to emulate any kind of bad driving behavior i could think of. The results? I only got 40 mpg these last two tankfulls as opposed to the normal average 43 mpg I usually get. Nissan needs to find out what the "weak points" of their engines are that do not allow them to "level out" different driving conditions! And remember, I am a Nissan employee! I welcome comments from greater minds than mine who can point us in the right direction when it comes to mpg!
  • And, by the way, my Echo has 124,329 miles on the odometer as of this morning!
    Nissan needs to find out what the "weak points" of their engines are that do not allow them to "level out" different driving conditions!

I am suspecting that Nissan already knows what or where these "weak points" are. Even if they knew, though, Nissan would never tell us what those points are because they would become a representation of sorts, which is a legal gas tank being checked with a lit match.
  • Enjoyed the analogy of "legal gas tank..." I needed that laugh!
  • hbfeverhbfever Posts: 13
    Sorry of this has already been covered.

I have a one year old, 6-speed, SL that has just over 5600 miles on it. I don't drive that much and I am far from a speedster. Since I bought the vehicle I haven't been exactly impressed with its fuel economy. I have adopted the 1-2-5 shifting regimen the last few months and my range has increased around 20-30 miles.

I have had the tire pressure light on for the last couple months. I have repeatedly checked my tire pressure (TP) and kept it at 32, like it says on the placard in the door frame. Last week, I took my Versa into the dealer because it was having some starting issues. When they saw the TP light, they asked what I kept my TP at and I said 32. They, the dealer, then told me that Nissan recommends that Versa TP be somewhere between 35-38, even though the placard says 32.

Needless to say, the car rides much nicer than it has in some time. I have yet to run through a full tank with the new TP but I am curious to see what effect it has on economy.
    Yes, raising the tire pressure above the manufacturer's recommendation can help with the mileage by reducing the rolling resistance. Naturally, there is a limit to doing this for safety's and ride's sake, but +10 to +15% of the spec is something that I do regularly with the household's vehicles. And yes, it makes a difference with the mileage.
  • winkie733winkie733 Posts: 14
    I have an 07 Versa SL sedan auto. I have complained in this forum and to the Nissan dealership about my poor mileage. 08 mileage ratings are 27-33. I have yet to reach 26mpg, my best being 25.8. I've tried driving conwervatively, e.g., under 60 mph on highway,but that didn't help. The dealer also told me to keep my TP up to @38psi, which I did. That also helped my ride, but did nothing for the mileage. Seems like their are lots of Versa owners on this blog who have the same problem. Most of us probably bought this car for its advertised fuel economy. We should unite and force Nissan to give us a cash settlement to make up for the significant underperformance that borders on deceptive advertising. Are there enough of us to be a force? I'd like to get an idea of how many of us there are. Any thoughts from others on this?
    We should unite and force Nissan to give us a cash settlement to make up for the significant underperformance that borders on deceptive advertising.

I understand your frustration and do feel bad for your plight. About "deceptive advertising," one problem with that is the MPG figures are provided by EPA, and Nissan just puts out what the government is giving. Every automobile ad is always careful to say "EPA Mileage of xx city, xx highway." So you see, Nissan would have a pretty solid defense against any claim of deception which, legally speaking, requires a specific intent to defraud, which is very difficult if not outright impossible to prove when the U.S. Government is the actual source of information.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Adding air pressure to the tires should add to the fuel economy numbers and improve handling. Unlike mentioned in a couple of posts, it also hurts ride as it makes the car more sensitive to bumps, but I don't believe the Versa has too rough a ride when compared with some others in this class.
    Had my 6 speed Versa about 13 months now, right around 24,000 miles on it. Last tank got me 32 mpg.

• winkie733winkie733 Posts: 14
    I'm not alleging that there is intent to defraud buyers of Nissan Versas. I'm saying that, if Nissan got enough complaints from Versa owners that a significant percentage of their cars underperformed relative to the EPA mileage range that Nissan Co. led the owners to believe they would receive if they bought the car, then they might be pressured into a cash settlement to make up for such a high percentage of dissatisfied customers. I've heard, but can't prove, that such precedents have been set when large numbers of customers make a common complaint to auto makers. I think it is worth the effort to see how many owners are complaining of significant mileage underperformance. By the way, I filled up today, and my mileage was 24.89mpg. As I've said before, I have yet to reach the minimum EPA estimate of 27mpg in my 07 automatic with CVT.
  • Oh man, That is exactly what is happening to me too.
    I have 2008 Versa with CVT. Every time I fill up the tank with 11Gal, I can only do 180 miles which will be about 16 MPG. It is really frustrating. I going to take my Versa to the dealler soon.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I just got my Versa, and compared to my other econo-cars, it revs very willingly and quietly. Usually I am in the "back of the pack" at the stoplight drag races, but with the Versa I have to watch myself and use a light throttle - it's all to easy and tempting to wind it out a little, give it a little more throttle, and of course that burns up gas.

I have gotten really good mileage with almost all my cars (except the PT Cruiser, which is a notorious gas hog, in the EPA rating and in "real life") by driving easy - no more than 1/4 throttle for acceleration, putting it in neutral and coasting to a stoplight instead of keeping the gas on and braking at the last moment, reading the traffic ahead of me and coasting down when traffic is slowing on the freeway, etc. Of course the biggest gas saver (and also my biggest gas expense, in absolute terms) is the fact that I have a long freeway commute which is usually pretty free flowing, and home and work are both close to off-ramps.

By way of example, my wife got 14 mpg on our Impala in her short trip, around home driving, when I took the Impala over from her, my mileage computer indicated 26.5 and I got 26 (writing down mileage on every gas receipt, calculating and averaging mileage over a long baseline). Ditto with the PT Cruiser - 17 mpg for her, 24-25 for me. 35 mpg on a Scion xA, 38 on a Yaris (why? go figure - same engines, but the Yaris might have been a little lighter and had different gearing). 37 on my first tank on the Fit.

I'll let you know how it works on the Versa. It could be a problem with the drivers, or a problem with the car. At first I was blaming the car, since there are more complaints about low mileage on the Versa than praise for good mileage, and usually numbers don't lie. But now I think it's just slightly possible that the Versa performs too well for its own good - the Fit is fast too, but it pushes back and lets you know you are pushing it, keeping drag-racing toned down. But the Versa is a lot quieter and smoother, too easy to "drive harder." Go figure.