Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa New Owners Report

Comments

• flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,633
    LOL, you are making ASSUMPTION without even knowing the car, I can tell you that the car was wholesaled out and the dealer didn't sell it..

BTW, I leased my car, and I got more for my car then what I thought I was, so _I_ can out of the deal ahead....

Tony :shades:
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    okay...as long as you feel happy that's great!
  • Bob you just don't know what you're talking about. Most trades go to the auction unless they're really super clean. In fact, a dealer will often give more trade allowance than he can get for the vehicle at auction. Dealer's don't finance cars, they don't make money off interest. And the margins on Versa are about 600-650 at MSRP. There may be some holdback, but there's no way they made $1000 profit on his Versa.

Ben
  • All:
    I've had the car approx 4 weeks and its been in the garage for about 1.5 weeks of that.
    I have the model S with Automatic (Paid MSRP)
    two main issues: After the first day the car was was not shifting correctly from 2nd to 3rd gear. The next day it was confirmed it was some sort of 'valve' problem. Kept the car for a few days took it back, it was then repaired( 1 day in the garage).

A week later I noticed that the passenger air bag was starting to protrude from the top of the dash. Took the car in and thats where it currently sits (now at 1.5 weeks). I think it will still be there till middle of next week until the part is received.
    Nissan turnaround time on parts has been terrible, that will be approx. 8-10 days to have the part delivered (apparently thay have not heard of fedex) as for some of the people at the garage I picked it up from, I'll hold back on my comments for a future date. :mad:
    No responses neccessary on this post, just thought I'd update everyone on my experience to date. ( now I'm wondering if I should have went for the fit)

The only thing I have in pocket at the moment is the nissan survey thats still to be completed. At this rate it'll be thicker than war and peace!

Cheers!
    THere really no reason to write a large note, the VERSA is new and the dealers don't have parts for them. I'm sure Honda had/has the same problem... Just be lucky they aren't giving you the runaround and they admitted there is a problem...

Tony

So far 3500 miles and no problems.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Did the dealer give you a free loaner to use?
  • There are a few owners over on NissanVersa.org with that same problem. Why didn't you keep the vehicle while waiting for the parts? It's a cosmetic issue.

Ben
  • All, thanks for the notes. Yes I did receive a rental car (although we had problems there as my the under 21's in my family could not drive it)
    As to the cosmetic issue, The airbag really was protruding and I'm not too sure how I would have felt should there have been a crash in the car and the airbag did not deploy. As you say its a personal choice.

As to not having the part, my company sells equipment and when I relelase new equipment to the field I must have spares ready to support but I understand what you are saying.

Thanks for the comments.
    trades go to the auction unless they're really super clean

Funny, I see a lot of used cars for sale at new car dealers...I guess they have a lot of people washing them to make them "super clean" ;)

And I suppose you believe that the invoice price is the price the dealer pays the manufacture?

" car dealer's main sources of profit, in no particular order, are: the new vehicle's purchase price; trade-ins and resulting used-car sales; financing and insurance; "back-end" products and services, such as rustproofing and service contracts; and vehicle service (repair and maintenance)."

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=buy&subject=negotiate&story=ngBa- sics1
  • I have now test driven the Versa three times and am thinking seriously about getting one later this fall. I guess I will have to order it, or put my name on a waiting list for the CVT SL which are hard to come by.

Anyway, do you find it terribly odd that if you get ABS, you can not get the convenience package? What do the brakes have to do with Bluetooth and smart keyless entry?

Also, I was surprised to hear that so many have chose the convenience package over the safety of ABS. Frankly, I think we should be able to choose both, and Nissan missed the boat on this. ABS should probably be standard anyway, at least on the SL.

So, how did you justify skipping the ABS for some fun features? Thanks for your input...
  • I bought what was available at the time. Needed a vehicle, tired of walking. The first one that came in I bought. The dealer and I had talked the day before and I asked to put on the list for the first white one, whether S or SL. Next morning bright and early got a telephone call. I was there thirty minutes later. It suited me as it was.

SL
    Convenience Pkg
    Powder white
    Charcoal Interior
  • Anyway, do you find it terribly odd that if you get ABS, you can not get the convenience package? What do the brakes have to do with Bluetooth and smart keyless entry?

Did you use the configurator on the Nissan USA website? If so, true, the configurator does not allow you to choose both the ABS and convenience package. The dealer I have visited, though, says that both packages can be ordered together for a Versa. I think there was a thread somewhere on this forum about Nissan's configurator being broken. Talk to a dealership near you. They should be able to tell you, since they are the ones who have to place orders.
  • If you read my post, I said there might be some holdback but there's no way they made $1000 on his car. He paid 500 below sticker.

I had one dealer sell me a car like this: "Here's my invoice price, you write down what you think might ba a fair profit" What a laugh. The deal went down another $500 form there, but they put in my trade.

I also said most vehicles go to auction. Dealers are usually pretty picky about what they choose to resell. It's my experience. And yes they do have detailers busy shining all the tirds.

Ben
    The deal went down another $500 form there, but they put in my trade.

exactly
  • I agree, most vehicles go to auction. Dealers will keep popular cars in decent shape with under 100K in miles on it.
    Give them a 3-4 year old Honda civic or Accord with 50K on the odometer and the sales reps will fight over it. The same car with 100K or more will go to auction right along with that 8 year old, gas guzzling, Jeep Cherokee with 130K on it. Dealers are essentially laying out cash for the trades, in the form of what you paid net for the new car versus what they paid. They want to turn the trades ASAP so they will keep the fast movers and wholesale the rest.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Having worked at a domestic dealer for a time as a new car salesman, the majority of the cars that typically are on a new car dealer's used lots come from regional auctions. Most are typically rentals or off-lease corporate vehicles. A few - perhaps 10% to 30% - come from new car trades, but these are in the minority. At least every two weeks, sometimes every week, the Used Car Manager takes a trip to one of the large auctions, and buys several cars. The cars are later delivered to the dealer by transporter, and they're detailed by the Detail Department. Unfortunately, most cars that are traded in, due to their condition or high mileage, aren't kept. With the dealer with which I worked, those that weren't kept never went to the auction. The dealer had a standing arrangement with several secondary used car lots, and 8 out of 10 of the cars traded in went directly to these secondary lots.

The New Car Sales Manager hated to see a Honda or Toyota drive onto the lot. Not that they didn't want the car as a trade (they did), but the amount they would have to lay out for the trade - that's what they hated. And, if you have a car with over 100K, regardless of make, forget about a decent trade in value. You will be given ACV (actual cash value), and the car will be disposed of very quickly to one of the secondary lots, like "Joe's Used Cars," etc.
  • As I reported earlier,upon delivery the air bag light came on. The dealer impounded the veh. After 3 weeks, no parts. They finally took a part off a new veh. that just arrived.
    A new problem cropped up in that when you draw down the gas from full to near empty I can't remove the gas cap. It is vacuum locked. Need wrench to remove. Nissan,nor dealer has no solution.
  • frank01:
    Thanks for the info, not exactly what I wanted to hear but good to note for future referance.

p.s. Still not received a phone call to say the car is ready to pick up.. the rental car is a mazda 3 and its really nice ;)
    ACV? Is there a website for this? Is this the same as the trade-in value on KBB?
  • After 3 weeks, no parts. They finally took a part off a new veh. that just arrived.

Really?

So that new car that came in that they removed a part from to install into your car... will that car eventually be sold as new or will it be converted into a donor for [other] parts?

Is it common practice in dealerships to cannibalize parts off of new cars when the parts are in short supply?
  • Vacuum lock! I thought I was just a woosie! Well at least I feel better about myself now. Guess I'll have to put a wrench in my back seat.

question: anyone having problems with their ignition? Mine would start just great for about the first two weeks and then started to get cranky if it sat for too long (overnight). Then I would have to crank it hard 3 or 4 times to get it to start.
    It's been at the dealer for over a week now and he still can't figure out what is wrong with it? :cry:

I got rid of my Taurus for the Versa because it was such a lemon and always in the shop. I'm beginning to get very nervous about a replay of that nightmare.
  • I'm a new owner of versa S and its Sapphire Blue. It's a nice car and my family loves it. :)
  • Did they figure out what was wrong with difficult-to-start Versa? I am quite interested in this car, but am a bit frightened to switch from a Camry. I would think that since the Versa is not a new car (it's been sold as the Tilda in other countries for some time) that they would have gotten these bugs out. Also, hasn't this engine been around for like a very long time?
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    The Tiida in Japan has an excellent reputation for reliability. The bugs for the Versa, if they exist, are probably not so much the design/engineering bugs as the manufacturing bugs. To the Aguascalientes facility, the Versa is indeed a very new model to build. It's one thing to have specs worked out. It's another thing for the plant to be able to build to the specs right away.

And, as I have mentioned elsewhere, Nissan seems to have trouble maintaining the QA standards in North America. The Nissan cars built in this part of the world are sometimes markedly inferior in build quality than those in Japan.
  • Yes they got it figured out.
    It was the Body Control Module. The hardest part about that was waiting to get the new part, since parts for the Versa are a little shorthanded right now.

But they've fixed it, they have been starting it all weekend and it's been working fine, and I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon. Yay!
  • sschwsschw Posts: 8
    Hello,

I just purchase a 2007 Nissan Versa in October at 400 miles I started hearing a noise from the engine when the car is idle in gear stopped and the brake is applied. From inside the car is sounds like a constant rattle. I took it to the dealership and they can't figure out what the problem is because this is all new to them. Is anyone else having this problem?????? It's almost like something is loose and when the engine vibrates it's making the rattle it can get very loud a times. It's now at 4000 miles and they still can't figure it out.... Anyone else across the country having or had the same problem?
    THe only Rattle I have is my exhaust system, and was caused hitting a carcus of a dead dog. The part came in, and gets fixed on Tuesday. Before that, no rattle, and my car has 8000 miles on it.

Tony
  • We finally got our V, hopefully the wait allowed some of the bugs to be addressed.

Got a Brilliant Silver SL, CVT, convenience package, audio deal, moon roof and satellite capabilities. The dealer claimed he over paid us for the trade in but I suspect we paid very close to MSRP.

It would appear that most dealers in our area (Council Bluffs/Omaha) are able to have Vs on hand now, high percentage of Ss. Had the feeling they were moving a lot of cars around. Ours had 145 miles on it and saw another on a flat bed.

Have yet to see a V (knowingly) on the road including a couple of weeks in the Seattle area.

Demographics; we're both retired seniors, also have a Honda van.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Picking up the new addition to the family in the morning. Looking forward to this Versa lasting as long as my previous Nissan vehicles have, although I think it will be a while before it catches up with the 235,000 miles on my '96 Sentra :surprise:

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Congrats on the new car, I have a Versa S as a rental, it had the 4spd auto, much different car then what I was use to, it did have the power package tho..