Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid Test Drive: What Did You Think?

2»

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Do you think Ford will correct this problem in the future or is this problem something that will always be a part of the FEH?? "

I hope you noticed that while the ICE cannot power the wheels directly, it can provide electric energy to the motors that reverse the FEH. So the situation is not as bad as my first post may have indicated.

As to the technical question, I'm not sure if it could be changed. However, I imagine not so long as they continue with the current "planetary gearset" design. If the ICE could have spun the wheels in reverse I'm sure they would have implemented it that way. Electric motors are easy to reverse - just reverse the current - but it may have been difficult or impossible to directly power the wheels in reverse.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Posts: 161
    Providing a means for the ICE to power reverse is not "difficult" or "impossible" - it just adds weight and complexity (read: less FE) to the most critical component in the vehicle. :(

Good trade off in my opinion. Future designs may address this - but not with this eCVT concept.
  • I currently drive a 2005 Ford Escape. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a new (2010?) Hybrid.

Of you who already own them, do you have any advice or words of caution about anything I should be aware of? (I'm not a mechanic, so this gets a bit overwhelming rather quickly.)

Thanks in advance.
  • ashli1ashli1 Posts: 1
    I am also considering a Ford Escape Hybrid. Any opinions/tips would be appreciated
    edited October 2010
    "I am also considering a Ford Escape Hybrid. Any opinions/tips would be appreciated "

I enjoy driving my 2008, but I would only recommend buying a new one if you like the technology and want to have fun trying to get the most MPG out of the vehicle. If you are looking for a small SUV, the 4 cylinder Escape will cost you significantly less (around $5,000). It won't get the same MPG in town or on the road, but you would have to drive the FEH for many years before even breaking even just on the MSRP difference - and that is assuming you put effort into trying to improve MPG. If you drive the FEH hard, it won't get nearly as good gas mileage.

There is also the fact the Ford won't put any incentives on the hybrids, but there are generally incentives on the conventional engined models.

They seem to have gone up in price quite a bit since I bought mine. My MSRP was 31K, and a similar 2011 model would be about 35K.

If I were shopping right now, I would look at the Mazda 5. It isn't an SUV, but it is very economical, has good parking characteristics, and can carry way more people and cargo than an Escape. Assuming you don't need the AWD.

Mine is a 2008 FEH AWD with the "luxury" package, as it was called back then. I get just under 30 MPG most tanks.
  • bow45bow45 Posts: 21
    edited October 2010
    Please check out the High Voltage Battery issues.

"Ford Escape Hybrid Battery Pack Questions"
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f16fe2e/50
    "Please check out the High Voltage Battery issues. "

I keep pretty close tabs on the FEH, and I don't know of any specific battery issues, except that the pre-2010 models have a tendency to have problems with the blend door actuator. The latest models do not use the external door.

Battery pack fans are covered under the federal extended hybrid warranty, since they are inside the battery pack.
  • I intend to purchase a uses Ford Escape Hybrid in the next two weeks, and based on my price range, it seems likely that I will be purchasing either a 2008 or 2009 model. I would like to know if there are any appreciable differences between the models of those two years. Also, are there particular model choices that I should be informed about?

Many thanks...
  • We have an 09 FEH with 25K miles. The 09's have a 2.5L vs 2.3L engine in the 08s and can go up to 40 mph on electric, which is a little faster than the 08s. Only problem has been the battery blend door which was replaced a month or so ago. Mileage has been in the mid 30's, except in the summer when it go to the low 30's due to AC. I believe the 08 did not have an ECON switch with the AC so that the ICE remained on if AC was selected. The 09's ICE would shut off if the ECON was selected. My two cents is go with the 09.
    I own a 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD. Mine has the ECON switch. It shuts off and on the AC automatically.
    I believe the 2009 model has ABS, TCS & stability control system whereas the 2008 model only has ABS.
    According to the article of Glen Beanard, 2009 and 2010 Escape/Mariner and Fusion/Milan have SBA (Simulator Brake Actuator) system, whereas the 2005 to 2008 Escape/Mariner has "problematic" EHB (Electro-Hydraulic Brake) system.

You can find some known issues about EHB system here:
    edited November 2010
    "According to the article of Glen Beanard, 2009 and 2010 Escape/Mariner and Fusion/Milan have SBA (Simulator Brake Actuator) system, whereas the 2005 to 2008 Escape/Mariner has "problematic" EHB (Electro-Hydraulic Brake) system.

You can find some known issues about EHB system here: "

Your link did not get through, but so far I've not had any problems with brakes on my 2008 FEH. Nor have I read of any problems on the various site I watch.

The stuff I've seen about the Gen 2 FEH is that they programmed the brake to feel more like a "normal" brake, isolating the feel of the regenerative braking. And they had to recall the system to reprogram it on some of their hybrids, I don't know if the FEH was included in that.
    edited November 2010
    Ken Yagelski's blog post My Ford Escape Hybrid Brake Repair Experience - The Brakes Broke the Bank! on January 23rd, 2010. >> link

Glen Beanard's article Tech Feature: Ford Hybrid Braking on June 22nd, 2009. >> link
    "Ken Yagelski's blog post My Ford Escape Hybrid Brake Repair Experience - The Brakes Broke the Bank! on January 23rd, 2010. >> link

Glen Beanard's article Tech Feature: Ford Hybrid Braking on June 22nd, 2009. >> link"

Thanks for the links. The "Brakes Broke The Bank" story is the only one I have seen. I don't consider a single instance on the first year of production to be an indicator of a general problem with the Gen 1 FEH mechanical system.
2»