Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

Comments

• I live in Mpls. Check out Consumer Reports online and they rated tires. The Goodyear Triple Treads were first, but the Michelin X Radial DT's were second---only 1 point apart. I can get the Michelin DT's for $400 installed, liftetime warrenty, road hazard, etc thru Sept 30 while they have $50 off. The Goodyears are $100 more at Discount Tire Co(cheapest place in town I could find them), however they are only $450 when a sale starts on Octoober 2. All prices are with mounting, lifetime rotate, rebal, mounting, etc and MN sales tax of 6.5%.---for a 2005 CRV
  • I would also check out the consumer survey reults and the testing results on tirerack's site. Check out discount tire direct online and tirerack to see if saving the sales tax makes an online purchase worthwhile. I just purchased some tires from discount tire direct, had them sent to me (no sales tax and no shipping charge), and took them to the local Honda dealership for install on my vehicle. It was the best deal for me. Tirerack does charge for shipping. The local Discount tire store in your area may match the online cost of their online site, but I would try to get them to also reduce the cost by the amount of the sales tax. Good luck. Ralph
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    I have the Goodyear Triple Treads on my 06 CRV that i put on just after I purchased (300 miles) it. Major differance from the stock tires so far very happy . They gave me (Discount Tire )$150.00 for my stock then there was a $50.00 rebate from Goodyear. Either tire should be just fine ...>>M
  • ace15ace15 Posts: 1
    I live in New England and currently drive an 03 CRV. Original tire size is 205/70-R15. From an estate sale I have a chance to buy 4 new Michelin X-Ice 205/60-R16 mounted on Honda rims for $125. Is changing tire and wheel size a no-no and possibly hazardous or would these tires give acceptable performance? Thanks for your advice.
    Jim
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    Well, I'm still deciding between Michelin Hydroedge and the Assurance Tripplethreads. Would any one have an opinion on which one is the quieter tire? I guess it has come down to this, since both are as good as it gets. I thought the OEM Traction T/As would get me through the coming winter, but the thread currently is only 4/32, and that at only 25K :(
    Thank You
  • db2db2 Posts: 10
    Hi everyone - thanks for all the feedback, I purchased the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds and took a 200 mile roadtrip just after getting them put on, am quite pleased so far. I wasn't offered a rebate of $50 - I purchased mine from Sears, couldn't locate anything on-line, can someone point me in the right direction, or should I call Sears?
    Thanks!
  • I currently have a spare on the rear my CRV. I have been told that in order not to damage the Real-time four wheel drive I need to replace both tires in the back. What are my options at this time.
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    Thank You for the hint on the October DiscountTire sale. Just put new Michelin Hydroedge at 26,300. Got both rebates, $50.00 from Michelin and $25.00 from DiscTire for using their card (also 6 mo no interest). I like their free tire rotation, will save me 40.00 dealer racket every 10K. I don't know if I'll use their balancing (they do "spin balance"), a minimum vibration at 60mph and over. Will use a trusted shop that does computer balance (Venburg Tire, just south of I-694 on Hwy61).
    Now I'm happy, no new tires for the next 4 years :)
    Well, maybe next year, but for the other car - also Hydroedge, looks like they'll last to about 100K :) :)
  • rrrrbrrrrb Posts: 5
    I replaced the factory tires at 35k miles with the Goodyear Triple-Treds. I replaced all 5 tires at one time.

Discount Tires will match the TireRack prices.

I have put 40k miles on these tires since and they still look practally new.

Rotate your tires frequently, including the spare. The tires will last you many, many miles.

Also, keep the right tire pressure in the tires.
  • jo27jo27 Posts: 7
    Honda should rethink tires for their CRV. I replaced mine at 6000 miles on a 2004 CRV and put on Toyo Open Country AT (205-75-R15). These are a good all weather tire and handle well in the snow. If you want a WINTER tire, go for Bridgestone Blizzak's. Check out Tirerack.com. These are a soft tire and AWESOME on snow and ice but you'll be very happy with them!
  • Anyone else experiencing tire "nibbling" with their 2007 CRV? Nibbling is when your driving on a freeway that has grooves going in the same direction as the car and the car won't keep a straight line down the road. The tires want to wander like they are trying to find the right groove to follow but can't. I've got a Mini Cooper that does it also but not as bad as the CRV. Luckily these kind of freeways are not everywhere because it is very tiring to drive like this, but it is very annoying.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    There isn't a tire I have owned that hasn't done that. ;)

The grooving helps wet traction, and that is why highway officials mandate them.
  • terry92270: Were all the tires you owned mounted on a CRV?
    Before our CRV we had a 2004 Saab 9-3. That car didn't do
    it all - we had Pirellis and then Kuhmo tires on that car. Then before that a 1995 Maxima, again no nibbling. Our 1999 Tacoma also doesn't do it.
    Among the ones I currently have are a Nissan Murano SE, a Subaru Forester, Mercedes S550 and a Toyota Sienna. We have a CRV at work for the office shipping people.

All of them pull, or wobble slightly on certain sections of grooved freeways, the concrete portion of them anyways.

Since all of those vehicles have different makes of tires, of various sizes, I doubt it is a tire thing or specific to the Honda CR-V.

I am sorry if my experience doesn't coincide with your opinon or experience. ;)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,955
    I haven't noticed the grooves around here (we don't get much rain though), but tramlining is a problem occasionally. Tire Rack has an article about ruts that may be of interest:

Tramlining
  • That's a great article. I had heard the term "nibbling" used before - the reason I used it. Anyway, that article and the fact that terry92270 has experienced tramlining on a variety of vehicles and tires makes me feel better. I was trying to find out if it was normal and sounds like it is. I will just have to get used to it.
    Thanks for the replies to my original post.
    The deep grooving of concrete sections of the Interstates in California, Oregon and Washington are common. I have experienced those grooves in Kentucky, Missouri as well.

Hell, I think I-15, and I-94 are as well, through Idaho! ;)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,955
    I try to stick to the blue highways as much as possible although I did ~900 miles on I-81 (VA & TN) two weeks ago and didn't notice any wandering on it in my sister's New Beetle. Makes you wonder if the CR-V track is a bit wider or narrower than the ruts you sometimes encounter.

Any other new owners experiencing tire nibbling?
    That's a long ways from Idaho, Steve! Stay out West! ;)

I've got my interest spiked on this matter too..
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    In the Northwest where they still allow studded tires you have the RUTS and when you get rain or snow the movement while in them is scary at times. I find myself driving between them when all possible.