Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

Comments

• Anyone else experiencing tire "nibbling" with their 2007 CRV? Nibbling is when your driving on a freeway that has grooves going in the same direction as the car and the car won't keep a straight line down the road. The tires want to wander like they are trying to find the right groove to follow but can't. I've got a Mini Cooper that does it also but not as bad as the CRV. Luckily these kind of freeways are not everywhere because it is very tiring to drive like this, but it is very annoying.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    There isn't a tire I have owned that hasn't done that. ;)

The grooving helps wet traction, and that is why highway officials mandate them.
  • terry92270: Were all the tires you owned mounted on a CRV?
    Before our CRV we had a 2004 Saab 9-3. That car didn't do
    it all - we had Pirellis and then Kuhmo tires on that car. Then before that a 1995 Maxima, again no nibbling. Our 1999 Tacoma also doesn't do it.
    Among the ones I currently have are a Nissan Murano SE, a Subaru Forester, Mercedes S550 and a Toyota Sienna. We have a CRV at work for the office shipping people.

All of them pull, or wobble slightly on certain sections of grooved freeways, the concrete portion of them anyways.

Since all of those vehicles have different makes of tires, of various sizes, I doubt it is a tire thing or specific to the Honda CR-V.

I am sorry if my experience doesn't coincide with your opinon or experience. ;)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,274
    I haven't noticed the grooves around here (we don't get much rain though), but tramlining is a problem occasionally. Tire Rack has an article about ruts that may be of interest:

Tramlining

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• That's a great article. I had heard the term "nibbling" used before - the reason I used it. Anyway, that article and the fact that terry92270 has experienced tramlining on a variety of vehicles and tires makes me feel better. I was trying to find out if it was normal and sounds like it is. I will just have to get used to it.
    Thanks for the replies to my original post.
    The deep grooving of concrete sections of the Interstates in California, Oregon and Washington are common. I have experienced those grooves in Kentucky, Missouri as well.

Hell, I think I-15, and I-94 are as well, through Idaho! ;)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,274
    I try to stick to the blue highways as much as possible although I did ~900 miles on I-81 (VA & TN) two weeks ago and didn't notice any wandering on it in my sister's New Beetle. Makes you wonder if the CR-V track is a bit wider or narrower than the ruts you sometimes encounter.

Any other new owners experiencing tire nibbling?

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

That's a long ways from Idaho, Steve! Stay out West! ;)

I've got my interest spiked on this matter too..
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    In the Northwest where they still allow studded tires you have the RUTS and when you get rain or snow the movement while in them is scary at times. I find myself driving between them when all possible.
    Yeah, I know that well, as I am in Tacoma a few times a month, Spokane as well. Sometimes it actually feels as if someone has grabbed the steering wheel and jerked it hard!

Road maintenance seems a thing of the past. :(
  • I got this brand new 2007 Honda CRV just 15 days back and even the registration plates haven't arrived yet. While driving on the freeway, a sharp peice of wood pierced (I donno how) to the side of my rear right tire and I called roadside assistance bla bla.....
    When I went to the Honda dealer, he told since the wood is pierced on the side of the tire, it can't be fixed and I need to buy a new tire. Man, this is just 15 day old car with less than 500 miles on it and I asked why not you give me free tire? No, it is not possible was his answer but suggested to go to Bridgestone (thats the tire brand) tire dealer if they have any warranty, they might give a credit for a new tire. Bridgestone dealer told they don't have warranty on tires for brand new cars and they will not be able to do anything.

Came to my dealer from whom I bought the car, He also told they are not responsible for anything to do with tires and I need to change a brand new tire at his discounted price of $125.00. Since it is brand new vehicle with brand new tire, should I still need to pay for the new tire or do you guys have any advise on this? If need to change a new tire, which would be a best place to buy?
    Road hazard warranties can be bought when you need to replace the original tires, but to my knowledge no one warranties for that kind of deal unless you purchase it.

Go to Big O, or another tire dealer like that, and check their prices on the exact same model of tire. It is important that all 4 match.....
  • plim77plim77 Posts: 46
    A three of suggestions:

(1) Go to a tire dealer and see if you can get a rebate on your 3 remaining new tires and buy 4 better ones. There are much better tires out there than what comes on the CR-V. I'm a big fan of the Michelin Radial X DT or the Goodyear Tripletreads. Plus, both are offering good incentives like $50 cash cards and things like that.

(2) Get a replacement tire from tirerack.com or discounttire.com (whichever one gives you the better price). If you go through a website, you'll have a new tire in 3 days.

(3) Stay away from wood.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    What an unfortunate accident, and in a brand new car no less. But I'm not sure why you seem to think that either the dealer or Bridgestone should pay for your loss?

Bridgestone explicitly excludes road hazards from its warranty. This wasn't their fault; why should they have to give you a tire?

Accidents happen. Whether the car is 2 or 20 weeks old doesn't make any difference, other than it hurts a little more in a new car.
  • 1) Go to a tire dealer and see if you can get a rebate on your 3 remaining new tires and buy 4 better ones.

When you say get a rebate on remaining 3 tires, what do u mean and how to do and which tire dealer should I go (bridgestone?)? Since the tire came along with the new car, will he accept this offer?

I definitely agree with you. Michelin tires are the best ones and get $60 off at costco for 4 tires. But for doing that, I need to know how to get the rebate for the remaining 3 tires.
    I have never heard of any dealer giving a "rebate" on trading in used tires....

Try to understand, it isn't the tires fault!

Any tire hit as yours was by wood, metal, glass, at those speeds, most likely would have gone flat. Accidents happen. Go buy yourself another tire, same exact brand and model, at a discount tire place, Big O, America's Tire or the like. Go buy four new ones, of any brand, and pay several hundred dollars. Choice is yours.
  • Something to keep in mind...

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the CR-V uses a special tire valve, that will be silver in color, instead of brass. At a minimum, the valve core is usually replaced, as part of the normal steps in replacing a tire. Honda does not sell the valve cores separately, so the dealership has to part out the entire valve, even if they are only going to use the core from it. The cores from "normal" valves cannot be used on your CR-V with the TPMS.

If you have your tires replaced by someone other than Honda, they may not take all of this into account.

I'll have to see if I can find the link to the Honda document, and get it posted up here for y'all.
  • I'll have to see if I can find the link to the Honda document, and get it posted up here for y'all.

Thanks will be great!
  • Something to keep in mind...

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the CR-V uses a special tire valve, that will be silver in color, instead of brass. At a minimum, the valve core is usually replaced, as part of the normal steps in replacing a tire. Honda does not sell the valve cores separately, so the dealership has to part out the entire valve, even if they are only going to use the core from it. The cores from "normal" valves cannot be used on your CR-V with the TPMS.

If you have your tires replaced by someone other than Honda, they may not take all of this into account.

Anyways, there is no much option to go to replace a brand new tire. I couldn't find tire for my 2007 CRV in tirerack or any other place like online tire places/costco/walmart etc. So I will go with my dealer. It costs me $100 for the tire and $25.00 for labor.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,837
    That isn't too bad of a price for a 17" tire.. I've noticed that tire prices overall have really climbed in the last year..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Isn't that the stinking truth! :surprise:

Guess it all ties into the price of crude in the end, but damn!
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Bummer that you ruined a tire so soon but it happens. A month or so after I bought a new set of tires, I had to have one repaired. Seems to happen to me a lot which is why I always buy the road hazard policy. It's the only extened warranty type product I ever buy. It's been well worth it for me.
  • Replaced with new tire for $120 incl labor. The GM was kinda cool and helped for this good deal. Initially the parts guy told it would cost me $134.00 plus labor. But I asked him to talk to the GM and he gave it for $104.00 plus $16.00 labor. Eventhough a better deal - unneccessary expenses.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    Came to my dealer from whom I bought the car, He also told they are not responsible for anything to do with tires and I need to change a brand new tire at his discounted price of $125.00. Since it is brand new vehicle with brand new tire, should I still need to pay for the new tire or do you guys have any advise on this? If need to change a new tire, which would be a best place to buy?

Drive on the spare and buy a new tire of the same size. Then rotate all 5 tires when it is time to do tire rotations instead of just 4 tire rotations.

Bridgestone dealer would prorate the OEM tires if you buy new ones from them.
    It is illegal, under Federal law, to take back tires already mounted and driven, and re-sell them as new.

Anything a tire manufacturer might do in that regard would be purely a "customer service" adjustment.:)

And I don't think it is "fair" to blame others for mere accidents. No matter how well-made, all tires will fail from road hazards, if the impact is "just so". Why not blame the road department for not keeping the highway "clean" and demand they pay for it? :P
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    I am reposting since I had to edit some bad wording:

Bridgestone dealer would prorate the OEM tires if you buy new ones from them.
    Ya think? One of the things I tried before replacing was calling the # in the warranty booklet to see if they would
    do something about OEM tires crapping out before 30K. I had BF Traction T/As.
    Not sure who owns who among the big tire manufacturers, so Bridgestone might or might not have anything to do with BF (Bridgestone/Firestone?), but they apparently don't warranty the OEM tires for wear. The rep on the phone couldn't care less. Even after I mentioned that the same tire sold as replacement is warranted up to 70K, he was pretty much "so what, too bad for you...".
    Since we're talking almost new tires here, our fellow edmundian might have some luck, but
    will definitely take a hit. I got $40.00 (about half) for the virgin spare.
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    No argument on the issue of a punctured tire - it's not a warranty issue, rather bad luck. We were just commenting what might be some options to save money in an unfortunate situation.
    Michelin, BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, Goodyear, Kelly, Dunlop, Bridgestone-Firestone, Dayton, Continental, General Tire, Cooper, Yokohama, Toyo, Sumitomo, Pirelli, Hankook, Kumho.

Those are the major players. Japanese Bridgestone bought Firestone many years ago, and continues to manufacture under both names.
  • Here's the Honda Service News article I was referring to, that talks about the tire valves on the 07 CR-V's. It's on page three.