Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to expect from the next model year Prius

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Don't be surprised if they tell you those are all sold when you call/go there. Now a stranger comes in after you and bingo, they aren't sold anymore. Dealers work that way sometimes.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    I did not like that either. Shame on you BOCH! . I have a deposit on one at Boch and have been waiting for weeks . I am suprised that BOCH needs to sell this way.

Read her post again. It wasn't Boch that was playing the game; it was the original dealership she talked to in NH. She hasn't even checked with Boch yet, so don't be so quick to bad mouth them.

You are probably still waiting for yours because it is a distinct package from what they have on the lots now, and probably isn't one they get very many of. If you are willing to take one of the three or four distinct packages they have available now, you obviously wouldn't have to wait.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    I did not like that either. Shame on you BOCH! . I have a deposit on one at Boch and have been waiting for weeks . I am suprised that BOCH needs to sell this way.

Yeah they have no stock at all. They said they will not have any until Winter. I spoke with their Internet person. If you want a Prius from Boch Don't "Come on Down!" until winter. :sick:
    Don't be surprised if they tell you those are all sold when you call/go there. Now a stranger comes in after you and bingo, they aren't sold anymore. Dealers work that way sometimes.

That is the biggest load of cow manure I have heard in a long time! Dealers are in business to sell cars, not hide them from perspective customers. They will not tell you it's a 6 month wait when they have them on the lot.
    Read her post again. It wasn't Boch that was playing the game; it was the original dealership she talked to in NH. She hasn't even checked with Boch yet, so don't be so quick to bad mouth them.

His post, I'm a guy not a girl.
    Anyway they do not have any at Boch and will not have any for 6 months. Their website has not been updated they claim because a car isn't listed as sold until the client picks it up.
    Ernie Boch has no Prius and will not have any until winter at least 6 months was their exact wording. Any Prius that comes in is already sold but not listed as sold on the website.
    It's bad practice not updating the website when you know the cars are sold. More dealer BS and some dealers are now refusing to do warranty work on cars they don't sell. One of the other forums had a topic on this.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    ... for the readers and lurkers the reality is that most stores are sold out of Prius' for the next several months until the 09's begin to arrive in significant numbers. As tiff_c noted it may be well into Fall or Winter until the supply begins to catch up with the orders in hand.

However this is NOT the situation in every single case. Some larger stores can have relatively quick turn around on orders placed even today. Areas with more hybrid demand are receiving a larger share of the limited supply. Stores investing and expanding are actually getting extra units.

Prius' ARE available.
    However this is NOT the situation in every single case. Some larger stores can have relatively quick turn around on orders placed even today. Areas with more hybrid demand are receiving a larger share of the limited supply. Stores investing and expanding are actually getting extra units.

Just be sure you call a dealership FIRST before driving 2+ hours based on what they have on their website.
    Thankfully I called first.
  • I was responding to post 251
    =======================

#251 of 260 Re: Waiting? Yes But... [tiff_c] by beantown Jul 29, 2008 (10:18 am) Save | Reply
    Replying to: tiff_c (Jul 27, 2008 1:27 pm)

tiff c:

You're in NH. Why don't you drive down an hour or two to Boch Toyota on route one in MA? They have 10 new priuses IN STOCK and on their lot today. They also have 3 used on the lot today. I always love it when people in other regions speak as if they have knowledge of what other regions have access to from week to week, when obviously they are just guessing based off what they have.

=============================
    There are none available anywhere with any packages. Having someone drive 2 hours to find out there are none available to sell is pure BS IMO....
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Pricing of the 2010 Insight has been announced as starting in the $18-$19K range and could get up to 70 mpg.

It will definitely be a cross shopped with the new 2010 Prius.
    If it gets that kind of mpg, you would have around 800 mile driving range even on a small 12 gallon tank.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    Could you post a link to news item with pricing and mpg info on 2010 insight?
    Pricing of the 2010 Insight has been announced as starting in the $18-$19K range and could get up to 70 mpg.
    It will definitely be a cross shopped with the new 2010 Prius. If it gets that kind of mpg, you would have around 800 mile driving range even on a small 12 gallon tank.

Yep and I like the way Honda feels when you drive it. A seat height adjust is pretty mandatory for my wife.
    I had a link to the info about the new Honda Hybrid. I guess they will be showing it at the new auto show. I hope Edmunds buys one since they already tested the Prius.
    It's going to have a small 1.3L engine so it should compare well to the Prius but the Prius is getting a larger engine for 2010.
  • A lot of speculation about the Prius but this is the latest I know that is reliable:
    2009 arrives August 2008 and is the same as a 2008.
    2010 Prius is out April 2009. This will be the first of improved versions and alternatives available in 2009. The 2010 April version is still being worked out and will be available here in the US between April and summer of 2009.
    This is confusing because the technology is evolving as we type.
    Nothing seems written in concrete but at the moment this is the best info I can get from people who should know.
    speedymac
  • My guess is we won't see the 2010 Prius 'till quite late into '09.
  • That would have been my guess as well but my dealership friend made some calls and was told that the 2009 they wanted to come with was not ready for fall of 08 but they felt it would be in April to summer in US and so would come out as the 1st of the 2010 models.
    I don't know anything for sure but he's still sticking to this scenario.
  • That would have been my guess as well but my dealership friend made some calls and was told that the 2009 they wanted to come with was not ready for fall of 08 but they felt it would be in April to summer in US and so would come out as the 1st of the 2010 models.
    I don't know anything for sure but he's still sticking to this scenario. I'm on the unofficial list for a 2010 now as he said based on his information I wouldn't want to get on the 2009 list.
    I think this would be smart of Toyota to get the early 2010 version that will be at least capable of converting to a plugin and a battery change to a more advanced battery out as early as possible.
    It will be interesting for sure.
    Nice find...thanks.

The interior seems to be more 'traditional' than the current Gen2, gear shifter, console, waterfall center dash. But the steering wheel is definitely different and the semi-heads-up display on the dash is still there ( Good ). The door gear is from the Corolla/Matrix.
  • It looks like the Navigation screen would get an awful lot of glare at that angle.
  • So, is there anything conclusive announced about the 2010 Prius related to "plug in"? Still Nimh battery in 2010, but plugin or no? Or is plug-in a feature to be introduced as a later option for the 2010, just not in summer of 2009? Thanks!
    Toyota has not said one single word about the timing or technology concerning it's plugin development other than there are tests being done.

Everything else is speculation.

There will be an official presentation of the Gen 3 Prius at the NAIAS next January in Detroit. It's not likely that anything definite will be leaked before the CEO speaks.
  • barrhon...

Nice link but the thread is about the new 2010 prius that will have the majore make over
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Why don't they change this message board name to 2010 since the 2009 Prius can be talked about in the other Prius message boards along with the 2004-2008s?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    We really don't want to spawn a bunch of topics by model year like 2009 Engine problems, etc. So what I'll do is rename this one to have it deal with future models. That way it will slide along year to year.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• t_wrxt_wrx Posts: 3
    I am waiting for the 2010 or later model Prius. The '09 will be about the same as the '06 - '08. The new technology I am waiting to come on line is the new polyphase non-permanent magnet motor developed for the aircraft industry. Much lighter, much more torque, can run low or high speed without overheating. Could also eliminate the need for a transmission. Imagine a new engine on the front & rear axles for AWD! Also, the new Li-Ion batteries may be in use by then along with plug & play charging. Then you have solar panels on the roof (molded into the profile).

Then lighten the assembly by using more aluminum and/or composites. I would also add a little shape to the body with some wheel opening flares. Also, Toyota should build an "El Camino"style variant. The Prius body would fit the needs well.

You can only dream since bean counters, not car guys decide what they will offer us.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    This is the next Prius, verified by 'Yota:

Full Story here
  • What I find very interesting about the new Prius is that in typical Toyota fashion, they only "evolved" the styling of the car so it looks a lot like the current model. (I mean, compare the current Corolla sedan with the previous generation model--they both share a lot of the same styling). If you look at only the side profile of the new Prius to the current model, it would take very close inspection to tell the difference between the two.

The new Prius does borrow the new corporate nose design from the Camry and Yaris hatchback models, though.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    There are limits to what Toyota could do with the styling given that they had to retain the basic shape to retain the hatch configuration and for low drag. We can't see the rear from this photo, but the front looks significantly different than the current Prius. You could make a similar comment for other makes, e.g. BMW--the side profiles of their sedans haven't changed much in 20 years, but their styling has evolved.
    One of the most loved features of the current Prius, as opposed to the Gen 1 or HCH for example, is the fact that it's a 5 door hatchback. The one monumental error that they could have made - but did not - was to change that configuration to a 4 door sedan.

From the sales side, the hatchback configuration is one of the best points to differentiate the Prius from just about any other fuel efficient vehicle on the road. The following are true stories of what can be put inside a Gen2 Prius...
    ..43" flat screen TV, golf clubs, briefcase and two adults
    ..6 surfboards and 3 surfers
    ..12 sixfoot folding tables and 40 folding chairs
    ..fully assembled bicycle and golf clubs
    ..3 adults and six pieces of luggage for a summer overseas
    ..I'm sure that there are more...

And then with all that it still gets 35-45 mpg fully loaded.

Toyota was smart not to diddle around in changing the basic design. It's a proven winner. Now they may be sneaky and add some additional designs for those that are put off by the current look. Those that want a more traditional look yet still want 45-60 mpg might go for a smaller 4 door sedan or even a 2 door coup which may be soon to follow.
This discussion has been closed.