Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HHR Engine Problems

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    I think the writer means they want a replacement for the HHR with the starter problems
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    you might want to research what the lemon laws are for your state if they cant fix the problem....each law varies by state as does the arbitration process....

lemon laws start with the dealership first.....
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,185
    Hhmm The mention of fuse block has me wondering. It has been mentioned here (and elsewhere) that the fuses/fuseable links/relays may not be tightly seated (from manufacturing). A simple check you or hubby could try is just opening fuse box and pushing down on all the fuses relays and stuff in there, you may find some or all could be a little tighter in fitting and perhaps may make things better. ( I know about underhood fuse block, there may be one in cabin also, not sure)
  • I stopped to fill my 2006 HHR with gas. Turned off the engine, then turned the key to reset my "trip" button and roll down a window. Turned off key, then pumped my gas. When I got back in the car, I turned the key and got a clicking noise, it would not start. I got out of the car and tried to use the remote starter. When I pushed the button, it did not start the engine but everything inside went crazy (my radio, clock). It still would not start. I called my Dad for assistance. When he arrived (10 minutes later) it still did not start. We pushed the car away from the gas pump and proceeded to "jump start" it with my mom's Tahoe. The engine did not turn over the first time, but did the second time. We proceeded to the Chevy dealer, where it is now. Anyone else ever had this problem before?
    I don't believe I have heard of that problem before, but the general symptoms sound like battery or battery connection problem.
  • Or could it be the Alternator? The car is only 10 months old, with 4600 miles on it.
    could be that to, tough to say without some diagnostics done on it. There is another outside possibility also. Have you (or someone else) ever checked the fuses in underhood fuse box? Many have found them to be not seated correctly right from factory. I haven't heard of it causing specific troubles, but its possible.
  • We will see. I will let you know what the outcome is when we get it back from the dealer.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    IF I were a betting man, my $ would be on somekind of a computer issue - maybe something that can be fixed with a reprgram or something.
  • That is possible. I will post when we get a diagnosis/fix.
  • Got the HHR back from the shop (two days later). It appears there was nothing wrong with it based on the computer tests. They charged the battery. Don't understand this, since the car started before she arrived at the gas station????????? I bet it will happen again.
    I agree, most likely will happen again sometime or other. You didn't have anything plugged in to hot connection (I:E: cigarette lighter plug) when it happened did you?
  • She may have had a phone charger plugged in, but no phone attached. Just a fluk I guess.
    Hhmm I think charger may draw current even if phone not plugged in. I don't think it should use that much though. Does charger get warm when plugged in (might imply a lot of power being used for it)?
    update: I just found there is a TSB that may come into play here. TSB #06-06-04-045 and it describes main wiring harness maybe getting chafed or cut by evaporative emmision canister purge solenoid valve bracket. It applies to 2.2l's built before 4/27/06 and 2.4l's built before 2/20/06 and can cause drained battery, long crank and other things.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I'm renaming this discussion to make it our general HHR engine questions/problems discussion.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    After one year / 12,000 miles.....zero defects, ave 27 mpg, 2.4L 2LT automatic, ....still fun to drive!!!
  • UPDATE: The car has been ok, no starting issues. But now, the key is sticking in the ignition. Turns car off, but is very difficult to remove from the ignition switch.
    I believe a couple people have had that happen and ended up having shifter replaced (auto tranny).
    I had a little problem with engine flutter/falter/stutter when either defroster or A/C was on (I could feel it and tach showed little drop in RPMS). I already had an idea it was because A/C was a little over charged, but sevice consultant wrote it up a little different. Tech ended up doing a test anyway and indeed found it was to much refridgerant and corrected. Trouble gone. Little dissappointed in service department in that I had asked them to check to see if there was fix yet for another minor thing and they only came back with the 'unable to re-create' thing ( I had already told them twice they couldn't at this time and was just looking to see in fix was available yet :mad: )