Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

HHR Engine Problems

Comments

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sorry you had to test the safety of the HHR, but glad it worked out well for you.
  • Options
    stackerstacker Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2008 hhr ss and it also wouldn't start after 50 miles, but when the tow truck arrived about an hour later it started so we went on home then the next day it did the same thing after a 5 mile trip to the store, and once again after about an hour and the tow truck arrived it started , but this time it got towed to a chevy dealer and they couldn't get it to do it again so I brought it home , where it did it again. but this time it just shut down while I was driving and then wouldn't start,but this time the mechanic came with his test box and it threw no codes so it now has 203 miles on the vehicle and two wrecker trips to a chevy dealer. Any ideas or tips on what the problem could be??
  • Options
    harmonyblue760harmonyblue760 Member Posts: 2
    I puchased the HHR about six months ago and I have had no problems....I travel a lot for my job and I've been noticing since the weather is warmer, when the A/C runs the car will pull and jerk at higher speeds. Now if I'm sitting idol, the car just dies and won't start. All my lights are on and I can tell it's not the battery....but if I shut the A/C off, it will evetually start back up....What in the world is going on??? :(
  • Options
    Yesterday the dealership that has our hhr called to tell me they think they have found the problem. They think it's the ECM module breaking down when the tempature gets to a higher tempature and GM is trying to locate one, so we'll see, I really hope it works because we really like the vehicle and it's 34 mpg.
  • Options
    My 06 had an issue with A/C where the air flow would be freezing cold than be warmer for a bit, back and forth. At the same time engine was sort of stuttering/fluttering performance wise. I had already heard of the problem and had the dealer check (and correct) and refridgerant (overcharged). I have also heard of a couple cases where compressor locked up and resulted in broken belt (tow time), which may be due to same thing.
  • Options
    chevymom350chevymom350 Member Posts: 1
    So I bought my '07 HHR (LT 2.2) in Nov. '06. LOVED the car at first and had the dealer install a sunroof. Good to go! Then, within the first 2K miles I had to take the car back to the dealer to have the whole exhaust system fixed. It was chirping loudly all the time. My 3 year old kept asking where the crickets were! Was told by the dealer it was installed wrong from the factory. OK. Fast forward to today (it is in the shop AGAIN), it just turned 17K miles, has had the rotors worked on, has had a safety recall, the headliner is coming down caused by wind from the sunroof, and it is currently in the shop for the second time due to the car sputtering, chugging, and trying to stall out on me while slowing down or coming to a stop. Was told it had something to do with the ECM and that it was fixed the last time. I believed them until I about got t-boned last Friday on my way home from work because my car couldn't get out of it's own way. No Service Engine light comes on, and the dealer says the car is not producing any codes. I'm only getting @22-24 mpg at best. I thought that was normal 'til I started seeing other people report mpg in the 30's! What the... Anyway, does any of this sound familiar to anyone else, or does anyone think I should look into the Ohio Lemon Law? I know I only have until 18K miles if I do so. I would really love to just swap it for a Trailblazer and be DONE.
  • Options
    We bought a 08 hhr/ss and started having problems on the way home and had possession of the car for less than 12 hours in the first 15 days. It had more miles on a wrecker than it had on the road during that time. We were getting very frustrated, but had a great service manager and service tech that found a male prong in the ECM plug that hadn't lined up and was losing contact when the car reached operating tempature and would sometimes lose power and shut down. They installed a new plug and ECM, and everything seems to be working fine now and we are loving the car again. Oh yea, around 28 mpg average when we can keep our foot out of it. Did have a one time 34.4 mpg
  • Options
    brandoggybrandoggy Member Posts: 1
    My problems were tag lights not working and left front side light. Turned out to be the car was leaking water when it rained and the wiring harness under the seats and rear floor area were literally under water. Shorted out the electrical system. I would advise you to take it to them and make them strip the inside of the car to check for leaks.
  • Options
    ljumpljump Member Posts: 4
    I went to check the air filter on my wife's 2008 HHR SS (turbocharged - different than the other models) and I couldn't even find it!! Can anyone tell me how to find it and remove it for inspection? Thanks.
  • Options
    ourwayband3ourwayband3 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, thanks for your response. we did install front splash guards but not before the damage was already done. I am working with our dealership right now to try to resolve the issue. we are waiting on word from the general manager. hopefully I will be able to get things repaired without costing me so much out of pocket.
    does anyone have a good source of HHR parts? I can not find the running boards they say I need to install to fix the problem. any ideas?
    thanks everyone,

kathy
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    So what do these last couple posts have to do with HHR engines?
  • Options
    not sure what you are talking about?
  • Options
    This Thread is about HHR Engine Problems and rocker panel damage has nothing to do about this subject. There are other threads that deal with this.
  • Options
    the post I have been responding to have been answers from my original post to this forum concerning rocker panel damage to my car and also a response to a question about replacing the air filter. you are correct, it has nothing to do with engine issues but then, I have not been replying to a post about engine problems.
    If my message got posted in the wrong place, I apologize.
    kathy
  • Options
    caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I will move this post to the main HHR forum so it can be a general area where a variety of replies can be submitted.
  • Options
    thank you! I appreciate your help and welcome any insights on this issue.
  • Options
    rsanchez1rsanchez1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a HHR/SS and love it very much. I have four thousand miles on it and had my oil change. I can't reset the oil percent gauge. Can some one tell how? I thought it was turning the ignition slightly and depressing the gas pedal three times...nope didn't work.
  • Options
    Doesn't it reset like the other readouts do by pushing the bottom button on the left side steering wheel after putting it in the oil life display?
  • Options
    rdesantisrdesantis Member Posts: 30
    Oil Life reset:

-turn ignition to ON possition (NOT Accessory or Start the manual has a diagram), its the postition where the instrument cluster lights up with all the Symbols, just before starting. Leave all these indcator lights on while reseting.

-Go to INFO button (on steering wheel)

-scroll to OIL LIFE

-pump gas pedal 3 times

-Some will beep or just reset.

-turn ignition off, start the H, and check if reset. Should read 100%

Shounds like you were on the right track.
  • Options
    dfalsettidfalsetti Member Posts: 3
    HAPPENS OUT OF THE BLUE...once during cruise control about 70 mpg, another time after starting it again 20 minutes lator. It is unable to accelerate past say about 20 rpm..Park, Turn off, pull key, start again..works..ANY THOUGHTS HERE? :confuse:
  • Options
    Yes, re read your post, rethink it and post again as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Are you saying 70miles per gal. as you posted or 70 miles per hour. Big difference. Also sure you don't mean 20 miles per hour as I have never seen a tach that can read 20rpm. :confuse: :confuse:
  • Options
    The reduced power alert means something is wrong and vehicle goes into slow mode to prevent engine damage. It will have to be scanned to figure out where the problem is. One thing it could be is a problem with wiring getting frayed and shorting if your 06' was built before feb of 06. Could be something else also of course.
  • Options
    reposting! While using cruise control, foot bumped gas pedal, doing 70 MPH, this alert came on. It slows the car down and I couldn't accelerate higher, had to pull off road on the freeway. Happened again after starting up...Engine light comes on :REDUCED ENGINE PWR" ALERT comes on....I had to stop, park, turn off, start again about 6 times. I found if I take my KEY OUT it resets, and sometimes engine light stays on until next start up. I got this car about 7/1/08 without a manual at a dealers auction , otherwise i really like this car. ANY THOUGHTS HERE? :surprise:
  • Options
    HAPPENS THEN RUNS GREAT. THANK YOU I WILL ASK OUR MECHANIC ABOUT THAT. HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS BEFORE??? :confuse:
  • Options
    I have heard about a couple possible issues. One was a wireing problem that may affect some early ones, there is a large bundle of wires on top of engine (slightly to right if looking from the front) that pass through a piece of metal (kind of like a U but not really a clamp that can become frayed and cause various problems (including reduced power message). The other is an issue wirh wires going to ECM and not having good connection.
  • Options
    sleekittensleekitten Member Posts: 2
    It seems that the engine power does not reduce. The computer cycles--the driver's window does not go down, the light on the the door lock, side view mirror, and window control panel on the driver's side does not illuminate (This only happens sometimes), but the passenger side works, the sys. mon. lights up, the traction control lights up, etc. This vehicle has been to the dealership many times, the BCM has been changed approximately eight times. Also, the remote to lock and unlock does not function. When this happens, the radio also does not work.

Please help.
  • Options
    Yours sounds like a very different (and complicated) problem. 8 BCM replacements just sounds like dealer is throwing parts at it (although the BCM does have its hands in many of the things you say are happening). I think the first thing I might do in your case is to make sure all the fuses are properly seated. I would hope the dealer would have checked to make sure BCM connections are tight and any ground wires in cabin are properly seated.
  • Options
    sleekittensleekitten Member Posts: 2
    When you say make sure the "fuses are seated", do you mean to make sure they are plugged in properly? Also, where are the ground wires? Thank you.
  • Options
    Yes, just push down on the fuses to make sure they are tight. The ground(s) should be somewhere behind the dash (dealer would know where).
  • Options
    brismith336brismith336 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this problem resolved? My 08 is doing the same thing. The dealer said they couldn't "pinpoint" the issue thought it was bearing in the hub or something in the transmission. They replaced the bearing just before I picked it up and asked me to try it, but it's still there. Trans?
  • Options
    dadd75dadd75 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 HHR LT, 2.2 engine and after a couple of month I also got the reduced engine power alert and lost power. Had it in the shop four times before they found the problem. I had installed a cold air intake and they said that was causing it, but I knew it didn't, the dealership was lost.
    Well, a bulletin came out finally and there is a grounding bar behind the drivers side kickplate that had gotten wet from driving thru car washes and became corroded. They fixed that and have had no problems for the past 2.5 years.
  • Options
    sky2abbysky2abby Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem on my Nissan years ago it was also a turbo. I live in AZ and it kept shutting down because of the heat. The dealer told us there wasnt anything they could do for it, that turbos were made for driving in cooler climates.. In the winter never ever did we have any problems. Hated the summers. The vehicle was also bought right off of the showroom floor. Sorry your having problems.
  • Options
    ajilesajiles Member Posts: 1
    So how to General Motors or the dealership resolve this issue for you. We are having a similar problem (reduced engine power) with our 2008 and it is has been in the shop 7 times now. We are driving it AGAIN but who knows for how long.
  • Options
    hhr_07_lemonhhr_07_lemon Member Posts: 4
    Get a lawyer...that is all I can say...they sure aren't going to look after your best interest.
  • Options
    steveloysteveloy Member Posts: 1
    Well i been have no problems for years and this has been a very good car for me but now i'm having problems about two weeks ago the power streeing light came on problem i check the fuse and found out i just burn out one in the engine ( 60 amp ) so about a week later now the engine light will pop on the the power streeing light and now i will feel a kick the the traction light will come on all at the same time not it only will do it after i drive for about 10 min but when i first start the car nothing but after driving for about 10 min lights i check all the fuses and there good has anyone had this problem......

Steve
  • Options
    I haven't heard of this before. What year is it?
  • Options
    abr19096abr19096 Member Posts: 4
    Some sort of flapping -buzzing - thrumming noise evident ( right Front ) thought it might be some issue with tire or a plastic bag stuck on axle.

Pitch changes with speedometer changes and does not change if I shift in to neutral.

Does not become noticeable until about 25 MPH and is not louder when I open a window
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Abr19096,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information about your vehicles situation so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Options
    What would you like to know

The noise is a soft version of what you would hear if you put a playing card in your bicycle spokes. of a loud house hold fan in the same kind of pitch ranges you hear from a Piper Cub airplane pulling the banner up the beach
  • Options
    Hello Abr19096,
    I need to get some more information about your vehicle in order to look into this further. Please email me back so I can look up more information on your situation. You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • Options
    orionthehunterorionthehunter Member Posts: 2
    I discovered the same noise last week. It seems to get slightly worse at times like something is loose in the drivetrain. The noise gets louder with speed and doesn't vary with RPM or braking. It is DIRECTLY related to the speed of the vehicle, which makes me think loose axle, bad bearing or worn joint. I also tried the window and noticed the same thing, doesn't get any louder.
  • Options
    My noise varies in PITCH with speed. The pitch goes up as the speed goes up.

I did jack up the wheels and spin the tires. I am not familiar with FWD. It is not real tight but seems OK.

How is everything on Betelguese?
  • Options
    Hello Orionthehunter,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information regarding your vehicle so I can look into it further? Thank you,
  • Options
    orionthehunterorionthehunter Member Posts: 2
    Mine changes in pitch as well, but sometimes it's louder than others. I noticed today I had to brake hard and the noise stopped immediately. When I accelerated again it was much quieter for the next 30 miles or so. LOL at the Betelguese comment, Orion refers to the P-3C Orion, not the constellation directly. Any idea if this GM customer service person is legit?
  • Options
    lindsayjohnsonlindsayjohnson Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem and I took it in and it was actually something to do with the cam shaft sylenoid or however you spell it....My engine light was on and it was almost like the engine would slip...
  • Options
    gyatesgyates Member Posts: 55
    has anyone resolved this issue? A friend of mine just bought an '09 that has this same noise in the front as has been described.
  • Options
    mare1954mare1954 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    We have 2008 HHR too, it has stranded us 4 times in the past year! the first time we had driven it from Michigan to Florida, stopped in a restaurant and when we came out it wouldn't start and was towed to a dealer where they couldn't find anything wrong with it. That was July of 09, in Feb of 10 it happened again, this time on the driveway (in Michigan) the battery was replaced. In June we decided to sell it and the day a man was coming to see it, yep, it happened again. The dealer had it for 3 weeks and the main module was replaced per a GM order. We had it back for a week and I hesitatingly took it shopping, went in a store for 15 minutes and when I came out, wouldn't start. The dealer can never replicate the problem so they are always guessing and this time they guessed it was the security code in the keys. Even though no codes came up! So they rekeyed it and reprogrammed it and handed me the keys saying that if it happens again to call right away so they can actually see the problem.This car only has 13,500 miles on it. Does anyone think I'm going to feel safe driving this car again? I sure don't!
  • Options
    Still no one has resolved this noise? I am thinking a cv axle. Maybe.
  • Options
    Follow-up. My friend took his '09 HHR in to have this front end noise looked at. Turns out it was a bad bearing/hub assembly. Fortunately the warranty covered it, but repair was right at $1000.
  • Options
    claynatclaynat Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any more problems? I too have had my HHR in the dealership 3 times for the same problem. They do not know what it is. When they finally duplicated the problem, they thought it was the fuel pump. However they didn't change it as they are not sure this is the problem! They have had the vehicle since Aug 5th this time. It is now hooked up to some kind of monitor which is supposed to "take a picture" the next time it happens. There is only 43,000 kms on this vehicle. I, too, am petrified about driving it if they cannot find the problem. I use it for calling on customers in different areas and do not want to be stranded somewhere. :mad: