Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Hybrid Audio & Entertainment Questions

Comments

• Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I have just placed a deposit on a loaded Desert Sand TCH, currently "on the boat" and due to arrive in Los Angeles on 7/17. Dealer expects it to be available for delivery in Tucson on 7/27, or before!

I have a question for the group regarding the use of the aux input. If powering the device (iPod) from the 12V outlet, is a ground loop device required to eliminate "alternator/engine/feedback noise"?

I have heard that (on some vehicles) using the aux input and powering an audio device from the 12V power-point can cause this unwanted whine/noise.

I currently use my iPod in my Highlander, thru an aftermarket device that plugs into the back of the radio, providing a one-wire (audio and power) interface ... thru the longer recepticle on the bottom of the iPod, rather than thru the RCA/earphone jack that I assume the TCH input will require.

Hope I have made my question clear. hehe...

Can anyone comment? Thanks!
  • Options
    germanumpgermanump Member Posts: 5
    I have had no problems playing my iPod using just the 3.5mm plug from the device to the aux input. I also have the 12 volt plugged in as well.
  • Options
    spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    I recall reading about someone who had this issue with ground loop interference, but they installed a ground loop eliminator (from Radio Shack, I think), and it solved the problem.
  • Options
    alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    Wow, that explains the noise in my car, I think

I use my iPod via a cassette converter, and I get all sorts of whine as I rev the engine. There's a way to get rid of this???

Spiff?
  • Options
    alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    would the ground loop eliminator work with a cassette iPod adaptor?
  • Options
    sallyspalsallyspal Member Posts: 31
    I've had no interference whatsoever when connecting my IPOD Nano via a 3.5mm plug and 12 volt adapter. In fact, I feel that the sound is superior to that produced by the tuner.
  • Options
    I am not sure if it works with a cassette adapter, but I ordered one from crutchfield (they had one for 17.99 with the 1/8" mini stereo plugs so you don't need extra adapters to convert from RCA plugs).

I tried hooking up my Roady XT XM radio via the aux jack, and it sounds BAD - annoying hiss/whine that sounds like ground loop interference (and the audio level is pretty low). I think both of these are partially the fault of the Roady XT - I have seen a lot of comments about these issues - especially the audio level.

I am using the FM transmitter in the meantime - it sounds far better than the AUX at this time. I will share my results with this GLI filter when it arrives.

Thanks
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I took a new TCH on a 200 mi trip this week using my new MP3 and aux jack. The sound was extraordinary. It was clearer and more powerful than the CD's I'd used previously in the TCH.

The FM transmitter into my Prius ls no comparison. Green with ENVY.
  • Options
    drgwhitedrgwhite Member Posts: 1
    I've tried my iPod with the Aux jack and noticed a lot of hiss. It improved slightly when I cranked the iPod to full volume, but was still not great.

I'm suspecting the cheap male-to-male 3.5mm cable I am using. I paid about $3 for it. It's 6ft long. There was a Monster Cable available, but for about $15. I considered paying for the upgrade, but figured I'd give the cheap one a shot.

Can you tell us what type of cable you used?

I found using the iPod interface inconvenient and probably a little dangerous as my eyes were off the road more than I'd like. I've seen some interface kits that connect to the full interface for aux devices and would give us control of the iPod from the steering wheel, just like with an XM. Not even sure if they are available for 07 Camry.

Anyone seen or tried one of these?
  • Options
    berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    We followed the instruction to play all CDs randomly, but it didn't work. Have you gotten this feature to work?
  • Options
    bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    This may not relate to you, but IIRC, if you're playing MP3 or WMA discs, you cannot get the random function to switch discs. You can, however, get it to select random tracks from random folders on a single disc. (Though in my experience, the randomization tends to repeat a lot. :surprise: )
  • Options
    Update:

I got my GLI filter from Crutchfield today and installed it my TCH.

MAJOR improvement over the "naked" aux connection. I think it sounds a bit better than the FM modulator too.

I am much happier now, but I wish that the "hole" for wire pass-through in the console cubby was on the driver's side instead of the passenger side. I have the Roady XT mounted on the driver's side, and thus have to route the power and audio cable over the front of the closed cubby. If I get ambitious, I might see if I can route them under the console (with a little bit of disassembly). I wish I had a manual that shows how to take it apart!
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    I wish I had a manual that shows how to take it apart!

Download it!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Already did! I found it after I posted that message.
  • Options
    hjk9hjk9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi; I'm the happy new owner of a TCH. Came with radio saying it was XM satellite ready. Asked dealer to add XM tuner to radio and he said they won't have the Toyota tuner before December 2006 due to "a quality control problem". Has anyone sucessfully added XM satellite tuner to their TCH yet? If so, how did you do it?
  • Options
    dmhltd1dmhltd1 Member Posts: 31
    I didn't realize that you had to purchase a tuner and antennae when I ordered my TCH with NAV. Once I found out I asked the dealer what it would cost (I can't stand commercials and idle banter on regular radio). After I got off of the floor I said OK to the $450 + tax price and they put it in. I didn't hear anything about quality control problems. It works fine. I had only one glitch. I had an external satellite tuner on my previous camry which I sold with the car. I heard about a program where you can get 90 days XM service free if you buy a new toyota. The dealer can either call in and give them a code or the owner can. It's for first time xm'ers only but I got around that. It took me three calls to get it turned on successfully but it's on the trial now. Here's a link to some info on it http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/dealer_portal/toyota.pdf.
  • Options
    berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    We followed the instructions to set the CD player to play all CDs randomly, but it didn't work. Has anyone gotten that feature to work? (we have NAV too.) Thank you!
  • Options
    lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    Hit the following sequence of buttons on Nav - Hard "Menu" button -> "Volume" -> on screen - upper left, lowwer left, upper left, lower left -> hold hold "override" till it beeps. Be careful driving. Another advange of the override is you don't have to extra step in voice dailing. You hit off hook and say the number and then dial.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Well...5 days into ownership of my TCH, and I am very happy with the aux input.

No interference, and no ground loop eliminator was needed.

I have my iPod connected via a Belkin "Auto Kit for iPod" (BestBuy for around $30). It plugs into the 12v outlet. It has it's own aux input. I plugged one end of the "mini to mini" gold plated cable I bought (at Walmart for about $4) into the aux input on the car, and the other end into the aux input on the Belkin.

The Belkin then has a cable that plugs into the bottom of the iPod, (dock connector) and allows the iPod to charge and play thru the aux on the car. This also allows the iPod to reach into the center of the car... with only one wire attached directly to the iPod...if a passenger wants to change songs.

It will pause the iPod when the car is shut off, and all that is needed is to push play when I start up the car again.

nice!

BTW, I find the sound quality of this JBL system to be superb! I don't need the 4CD changer with over 4000 songs on my iPod!
  • Options
    pgrokkospgrokkos Member Posts: 8
    I'm trying to get the wiring right on my new TCH for a Sirius player. I got no help at all from my dealer on whether the factory installed player works or not, nor could they help me on wiring. My real question is exactly how should the antenna wire be routed?

In searching, I've found a few posts that link to pictures which seem to hide the cord well. However, I cant quite figure out how. I only picked up my car yesterday so haven't really taken apart the panels (and would like not to if possible), however I plan on running the wire from the unit to the trunk and hide it as much as possible.

Specifically, how do you get the wire out of the recessed area where it will sit (where the power and input plugs are) without snaking it right out the front and down the center console? I imagine their is a cutout or pass through within that area, right?

Second, how do you best go from the car cabin into the trunk?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I got no help at all from my dealer on whether the factory installed player works or not, nor could they help me on wiring. My real question is exactly how should the antenna wire be routed?

Why do you need to do wiring if you have a factory installed "player". Are you saying you have a Sirius tuner installed and they didn't install the antenna? Are you positive that you already have a player installed or just the factory system that is compatable with Sirius (but you still would need to install)?
  • Options
    pgrokkospgrokkos Member Posts: 8
    To clarify, I received no help from the dealer as to exactly what the factory system being compatible with Sirius means. My understanding is that the radio system that comes with the car (I got the upgraded radio with the NAV system) still requires a $700 upgrade to get satellite radio - and many report that ugrade is full of bugs. I did not get that upgrade.

I'm trying to install a Sportster satellite reciever using the lighter jack, the input jack and an antenna.
  • Options
    I ran mine out the "knockout" on the passenger side of that cubby where the plugs are. I then ran them across the center console to the receiver (which is mounted just beneath the fuel gauge). When I get ambitious, I would like to move these so they either go under the center console, or around it somehow.

My antenna is mounted on the roof, right in the center of the rear window. I ran the antenna wire around the window, and tucked it into the groove, maintaining a bit of tension on the wire to keep it in place. I then ran it into the trunk, and wrapped it around the rear seat fold-down release several times to keep it tight in the groove around the window. From there, it goes through the fold down seat opening, tucks into the gaps in the cushions, and tucks under the door sill trim to get to the front.
  • Options
    I understand. I thought that you might be indicating you had the Sirus tuner from the factory and I wanted to let you down easy.
  • Options
    primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    thank you...worked like a charm...anyother tips you would care to pass along would be much appreciated...thanks again
  • Options
    esfstevoesfstevo Member Posts: 8
    :sick: Copied from a posting I put on Greenhybrid....

I got in my TCH this morning and the radio/nav didn't come on. I tried shutting down and restarting to no avail. I took it to a dealer and they simply told me "the stereo is fried and this happens sometimes". They are ordering a new one however it will not be in for a week! The worst part is I realized that I have become very reliant on the nav as I use it for work to locate customers. Guess I'll be dusting off the paper maps to find my way around for a week. Oh and in case anyone is wondering, I've had the car for just over 1 month and it has 3000 miles on it. Also I will loose the data from my best MPG, 81.9. :mad:
  • Options
    cruisenatlcruisenatl Member Posts: 5
    I'm currently waiting on my new 2007 Camry Hybrid to be delivered, and I'm looking at getting XM put in afterwards. (Cheaper than Dealership install)

Right now, I'm planning on getting the receiver and install kit from Toyotapartspeople, and having my local Hi-Fi Buys install it. (I'm not terribly saavy when it comes to car electronic components and I'd rather pay for a pro to install it) Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I know this question has been asked before, but just for my peace of mind: Will the XM be fully integrated into the stereo? (Station, track and song info visible on the display) Are there any "gotchas" I should look out for?

Any and all help is appreciated. :)

Thanks!
    Jay
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    No gotcha's.

You should spend some time considering where you want the head unit placed, etc. Instead of letting them decide for you.

But Jay, I can't believe the dealer install is that much more, bottom line, than having the hi-fi shop do it. And even if it is $50 more, wouldn't the dealers expertise about the Toyota wiring, etc, outweigh that?
  • Options
    Hi Terry92270: By "Head Unit" do you mean the Satellite Tuner & Antenna? (Or do you mean replacing the whole faceplate?)

From what I understand, the XM tuner is designed to integrate directly into the 2007 Camry Hybrid's JBL Audio system. (I'm getting the 6-CD changer, which comes "Ready" for XM/Sirius) So if that's the case, my only concern would be the placement of the Satellite Antenna to ensure good reception.

As for having the dealer install it - That's a good point. The price difference is about $100 (Dealer wants to charge $450, and if I order the parts it's $287 for the parts and $50 for the install, so ~$337 for HiFi Buys)

Is there really that much of a difference if the Dealer installs the same Radio?

Cheers!
    Jay
  • Options
    By "head unit" I meant the display unit, as in after-market, non-integrated satellite radios, so doesn't apply to an in-dash unit like yours.

In my experience, six installs of XM and Sirrius, there is a big difference. Especially with the in-dash, satellite-ready units.

First of all, and most important, they are used to all of the Toyota connections and wiring plans. If something does go wrong, and you seek to correct the problem, it's a no questions asked repair at the dealer. At the after-market places, the kid who did the install might or might not be there later. :cry:

One time I used a very high-end audio-video shop who does custom home theatre installs besides the radio work. I was leaving to drive from San Diego, California to Seattle. Somewhere around Sacramento, I noticed scratches on and around the console and radio face plate area, that I missed, as they were hard to see without being in the daylight. When I go back a week later, they gave me nothing but trouble about getting it fixed, as they obviously believed I had the scratches prior to their work, or did them after, and the kid who did the install work was no longer employed there.

Bottom line, you are spending lots for the new car already. Spend the extra $100 to insure a professional job, and one the dealer, wanting to keep you as a customer, will stand behind.
  • Options
    If the dealer installs it wouldn't it fall under the
    3year/36,000 mile warranty?
  • Options
    BTW, placement of the satellite antenna is usually only in two placee, either above the front windshield on the roof, or above the rear glass. Either location, in my experience is trouble free, so long as they use some silicone where the wire goes inside, to seal it properly. My latest XM antenna is no larger than a fifty cent piece. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks, Terry92270! Everything you mentioned does make a lot of sense, even if it costs more cents. ;)

Seriously though - thank you for the advice. I had some initial misgivings about doing the install aftermarket (even though my salesman recommended it to save $$$), even though I had a fairly good experience installing aftermarket stereos (like in my current Vue). Your point, and wvagasguy's note that it should be covered under the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty, made up my mind for me. I'm willing to fork out that extra $100 for the piece of mind that it will bring me. :)

Thanks again for the advice - I appreciate the helpful information I've been getting while reading these forums.

Cheers!
    Jay
  • Options
    ourdad1ourdad1 Member Posts: 7
    I have the Sportster set up in 2 other cars. What are you using to hold yours in place? There is a part that once installed keeps all the interference out. Did you install that as well? How hard was the installation? Would you mind giving installation instructions?
    Thanks
  • Options
    psepse Member Posts: 14
    I bought my TCH 4 days ago and my dealer was able to install, at no charge, the Sirius Satellite radio package with 9 months of free service. However, as everyone knows by now, the antenna is mounted inside, on the front windshield, to the right of the rear view mirror. On my 2005 Accord the antenna for XM satellite radio was of course on the outside rear roof. The reception was obviously much better.
    What can my dealer do about my current reception? Have others requested that dealer place the antenna in a different location and got a good response? I'm afraid to take anything apart to run wiring on my own that may lead to loose connections and the rattling and noise that others are complaining of. I also want to keep everything integrated and not have an individual tuner for the Sat radio.
    Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    The satellite antenna is connected via a wire. That wire can be run anywhere. Just like with any other satellite installation, it could be run all the way through the car, out the rear window and roof mounted there. Or out the front window gasket and roof mounted.

Many of us who have had satellite radio for several years now also have them inside the house, with the antenna sitting on top of a table, or even on the floor, behind our AV setup, and it works perfectly fine, going right through the dry wall, insulation, roof trusses and shingles.

I have been told satellite radio, as opposed to satellite TV, radiates a signal down, and is not totally line-of-site. Unless your windshield is coated with some kind of metallic coating, why do you think you would get a "better" signal mounted on your cars roof? Do you get occasional blackouts, gaps? Well, with a roof mount you do too. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for responding
    What you said makes sense. However, I read on other sites like "greenhybrid.com" that the reception works best when attached to a metal ground plane like the car roof.
    See note from that conversation:
    "You said that the antenna is on the rear deck behind the battery vent? Is it mounted to a piece of metal that is on top of this deck, or is it just sitting on the deck itself?

The reason that I ask is that there is supposed to be a metal "ground plane" for the antenna to attach to. This is the nature of these antennas - the ground plane allows for proper reception."
    BTW no tinting in vehicle.
    I am getting numerous blackouts, a couple every minute or two. I had XM in my 2005 Accord and hardly ever had blackouts with roof-mounted antenna. As a result, just assumed that the lack of a "metal ground plane" on a windshield was the reason. However, what you say about home based systems with antennas in the house makes sense. Bottom line: Don't know what the problem is or how best to solve it. Going to call the dealer today.
    Any more suggestions anyone?????
  • Options
    My unit has a aiming setting. Read your instructions. I believe you punch the aim button and drive in a circle, or whatever....don't know if it will help, but worth a try.

The atmosphere and time of the year, Sun activity also plays a part. :)
  • Options
    Maybe I'm totally clueless, but I don't have any instructions for the Sirius radio. "Aim button?" As I said, the dealer installed it. When I began looking at the TCH manual the only comments I found pertained to XM radio. No mention was made at all of Sirius. Perhaps the dealer should have given me a separate manual for the Sirius radio after they installed it.
    Thanks again terry.
  • Options
    That is often the case, the technicians throwing away, or keeping the "installation manual". :(

Perhaps you can contact the dealer and get at least a copy, or if you know who makes the unit, their website should have all that....
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to make the audio screen stay on the nav screen without reverting back to some other screen like the energy/consumption screen or the map screen?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Aren't the "nav screen" and the "map screen" essentially the same thing?

There is a setting somewhere menus that will prevent the display from going back whatever screen you are currently on (whether it is an audio screen, destination screen, etc). Unfortunately, I can't remember where this is... The description of the setting is pretty self-explanatory.
  • Options
    camygcamyg Member Posts: 11
    On mine, pressing the "AUDIO" key (hard key, right side) brings up the audio screen and it stays there until I press the audio key, or press some other key, again. I assume yours should be the same.
  • Options
    It is under the "Info" button (the hard button on the left), "Screen Setting", "Automatic Transition.....". Turn the setting "OFF".
  • Options
    By "nav screen" I meant the display itself and by "map screen" I meant the actual displaying of the map on the navigation dsiplay. People do get very caught up on semantics on this page. Anyway, thanks for the info :)
  • Options
    wonderduckwonderduck Member Posts: 3
    My dealer says they don't even have the kit for SIRIUS. I would like to get it one of these days as it was one of my considerations when purchasing the car. Otherwise I love the car. I have had it since early July.

Anybody else find that they can't even get it installed through their dealer? :confuse:
  • Options
    Best Buy, and all the larger audio chains have them, and mine carries a two or three year satisfaction guarantee, from them. If you're handy, Crutchfield has a pretty good selection as well, and offers online or toll free support to ensure you purchase the right wiring, parts and all of that. :)
  • Options
    springsoakspringsoak Member Posts: 2
    We have the 4-CD player as part of our nav/audio system on our TCH. The first time that we took a day-long trip, we loaded 4 CD's into the player, and it worked just fine for about an hour. Then, all of a sudden, the CD player quit playing completely. We tried choosing another of the installed CD's , but with no luck. After a while, we tried again, and the CD played for about 20-30 minutes, then quit again. When we removed the CD's from the player, they were very warm to the touch. We noticed on another Toyota chat site (Tundra's), a user had a similar problem with his 6-CD player, with the player quitting working after a while, and the CD's were also very warm when he removed them from the player. The Tundra chat indicated that there could be various error messages displayed for a CD player malfunction, including:

"If “WAIT” appears on the display, it indicates that the inside of the player unit may be too hot due to the very high ambient temperature. Remove the disc or magazine from the player and allow the player to cool down."

We didn't see any error messages on our TCH audio system, and certainly hope that the system is capable of playing CD's for more than an hour at a time.

Any suggestions for a solution to our problem, and has anyone else experienced the same problem?
  • Options
    Same inside temperature occurs in tape players. Have you ever had the tape melt in the unit?

It is another "concern" blown up by users on forums. The unit might be faulty, that is more likely than it being a "temperature" problem. ;)
  • Options
    coolrodcoolrod Member Posts: 6
    We picked up my wifes' new TCH with the XM dealer addon yesterday. In other posts I read that the antenna was mounted in the rear by the third brake light, but ours is on the dash in front of the passenger seat, very unobtrusively placed close to the windshield. It works very well , no different than the XM radios in our other two cars which were built-in at the factory. I don't know what the antenna looks like in other peoples TCHs, but ours is one inch long by 3/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch tall. Thats a lot smaller than in the other two cars, less than half the size. We got severely pounded by the dealer, though. $650 installed. My others cost around $300. But you don't have much choice unless you want a kid at a radio shop tearing into your new car! :)