Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Audio & Entertainment Questions

Comments

• psepse Posts: 14
    Does anyone know how to make the audio screen stay on the nav screen without reverting back to some other screen like the energy/consumption screen or the map screen?
    Thanks
  • spiff72spiff72 Posts: 179
    Aren't the "nav screen" and the "map screen" essentially the same thing?

There is a setting somewhere menus that will prevent the display from going back whatever screen you are currently on (whether it is an audio screen, destination screen, etc). Unfortunately, I can't remember where this is... The description of the setting is pretty self-explanatory.
  • camygcamyg Posts: 11
    On mine, pressing the "AUDIO" key (hard key, right side) brings up the audio screen and it stays there until I press the audio key, or press some other key, again. I assume yours should be the same.
    It is under the "Info" button (the hard button on the left), "Screen Setting", "Automatic Transition.....". Turn the setting "OFF".
  • psepse Posts: 14
    By "nav screen" I meant the display itself and by "map screen" I meant the actual displaying of the map on the navigation dsiplay. People do get very caught up on semantics on this page. Anyway, thanks for the info :)
  • My dealer says they don't even have the kit for SIRIUS. I would like to get it one of these days as it was one of my considerations when purchasing the car. Otherwise I love the car. I have had it since early July.

Anybody else find that they can't even get it installed through their dealer? :confuse:
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Best Buy, and all the larger audio chains have them, and mine carries a two or three year satisfaction guarantee, from them. If you're handy, Crutchfield has a pretty good selection as well, and offers online or toll free support to ensure you purchase the right wiring, parts and all of that. :)
  • We have the 4-CD player as part of our nav/audio system on our TCH. The first time that we took a day-long trip, we loaded 4 CD's into the player, and it worked just fine for about an hour. Then, all of a sudden, the CD player quit playing completely. We tried choosing another of the installed CD's , but with no luck. After a while, we tried again, and the CD played for about 20-30 minutes, then quit again. When we removed the CD's from the player, they were very warm to the touch. We noticed on another Toyota chat site (Tundra's), a user had a similar problem with his 6-CD player, with the player quitting working after a while, and the CD's were also very warm when he removed them from the player. The Tundra chat indicated that there could be various error messages displayed for a CD player malfunction, including:

"If “WAIT” appears on the display, it indicates that the inside of the player unit may be too hot due to the very high ambient temperature. Remove the disc or magazine from the player and allow the player to cool down."

We didn't see any error messages on our TCH audio system, and certainly hope that the system is capable of playing CD's for more than an hour at a time.

Any suggestions for a solution to our problem, and has anyone else experienced the same problem?
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Same inside temperature occurs in tape players. Have you ever had the tape melt in the unit?

It is another "concern" blown up by users on forums. The unit might be faulty, that is more likely than it being a "temperature" problem. ;)
  • We picked up my wifes' new TCH with the XM dealer addon yesterday. In other posts I read that the antenna was mounted in the rear by the third brake light, but ours is on the dash in front of the passenger seat, very unobtrusively placed close to the windshield. It works very well , no different than the XM radios in our other two cars which were built-in at the factory. I don't know what the antenna looks like in other peoples TCHs, but ours is one inch long by 3/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch tall. Thats a lot smaller than in the other two cars, less than half the size. We got severely pounded by the dealer, though. $650 installed. My others cost around $300. But you don't have much choice unless you want a kid at a radio shop tearing into your new car! :)
  • OK, I'd like to try this but my dealer says it might destroy the Nav System, fry the ECU and cost me $5,000!

So, is your Nav System still working? :) Do you still disable the Motion Interlock feature?

Thanks,

Steve
    That is a total crock - you wont hurt anything. Just don't mess with any other buttons in the screen.

This only works on the 5.1 version of the Nav DVD - not 6.1 (but there is a way around that too).
  • ah, I have 6.1 - that is my holy grail, so to speak :) no wonder it doesn't work, even though:

http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyota-Prius-Navigation-Gray-out

says it should ...
  • OK, I've waited a few days - how is that done?

Thanks,

Steve
    See this thread/post and what follows. It does work on the Toyota Camry Nav too.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2141921&postcount=122
  • Hello all - Just bought by Camry Hybrid this weekend and am having fun learning about all the features. One thing perplexed me though - I cannot find where CD's are inserted. I called the dealer and he said their is some kind of eject button to the left the of NAV screen. I'll have to take a look when I get home (drove my old car to work today). I was surprised nothing like this was mentioned in the owner's manual. Did anyone else have this issue (not spotting it)? Thanks.
    No, the Eject symbol/Close button was pretty self-explanatory to me...

;)
  • Yup, I agree and should have spotted it. My last car had a tape deck, so I am really entering the 21st century here. My dealer also referred me to Toyota iGuide site, which was a big help. Thanks and best wishes
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    My last car had a tape deck

Was that an 8-Track?

Sorry, couldn't help myself, just had to say that :)
  • Hello all - Another oddball question. I have read conflicting info about if one should leave the engine on or off when parked (and listening to the radio). If I am sitting in my car for 5 - 10 minutes (waiting to pick someone up) and want to just listen to the radio in my Camry Hybrid, should I leave the engine running or turn it off and just use the "accessories" function? My sense is that I should just use the "accessories" function, but some have told me that it's on for a while, it could drain the battery. I don't think 5 - 10 minutes would be too draining, would it? Thanks and happy holidays.
  • This requires dismantling the center console of the hybrid to access the rear of the head unit. I am not good at this tuff, and am looking for instructions (pictures even!) describing how to do this.

Thanks,
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I don't think 5 to 10 minutes would hurt, and I'd rather do that than have my ICE kick on to charge the system. However, I'm not sure how long the ICE would stay off if you did decide to leave the system on, and with such a small drain on the hybrid system battery while sitting in park I would think that it would not discharge quickly.
    Hummm.
  • camygcamyg Posts: 11
    You should be able to listen to the radio in the "accessories" mode for a long time without a problem, just like you could in a non-hybrid car. Or you could leave the car on and the ICE shouldn't start to charge the battery for a long time, although it may start to maintain temperature. For example, I sat in my TCH for about an hour when I first got it, with the radio on in the "accessories" mode, trying to go through and memorize enough about the Nav system for normal use. After that hour, the car started up normally with no indication that it was any significant power usage. Also, I have sat in a traffic jam for over 30 minutes with the car on, the ICE off, lights on, and moving very little. The outside temp was about 60 and the ICE never started to charge the battery pack. The bottom line - either will work, although I'd use the "accessories" mode. The 12 volt battery has plenty of power to run your radio, probably for a couple of hours without a problem (just a guess - haven't tried it). Now, leaving your lights on will drain the battery much faster and should be avoided.
  • OK, here are VAIS Tech SLI iPod interface install instructions:

http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/Toyota/2007-Camry-SLI-Install.pdf
  • I just bought the Belkin audio kit yesterday, but I can only control volume through the Camry's audio system. Is there something else I need to control other iPod features?
  • Has anyone experienced this.

Sometimes when it is really cold overnight (usually for a few days) when I start my camry for the first time it forgets ALL my radio station settings, and previous GPS locations. It remembers however my Favorite buttons.

What the heck is going on? I dont want to bring my car into the dealer and have them keep it, and them never fix the problem. Especially considering I don't get a loaner car unless they say it is going to take more than 24 hours (but I don't know that until after the service is done)

seth
  • navguynavguy Posts: 61
    It seems as if the voltage going to the radio is dropping below 9VDC. Do you have to jump start your vehicle to get it started?
  • CD's play fine.
  • I have 2 questions:

1 - I've tried to hook up an MP3 player (Ipod) to the AUX input in my 2007 TCH. I thought that file & folder information was supposed to show up on the screen (I have Nav system). Only info on screen was "AUX is in play mode". I tried again with a Zen player, and same message appeared. Am I doing something wrong?

2 - Is there any (safe)way to override the feature that blocks the navigation and audio controls that are blocked while the car is driving? It is a pain to not be able to at least have a passenger use the system while I am driving.

Thank you.
    James