Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caravan/Town & Country Electrical Problems

Comments

• change the camshaft sensor, that happen to my moms van and yes like you say it was scary but i replace that sensor and problem solve.

good luck
  • ljbennettljbennett Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, and for the first year we had it, it worked beautifully. About 18 months ago it started acting up. The entire cluster freaks out, the air flow stops, the radio shorts out, the headlights flicker continuously, and the warning lights come on and the van makes that 'ding' noise (like when you leave the key in). Sometimes it feels like the engine pulls a bit, not sure how to explain that one.

We have replaced the BCM, we have replaced the alternator twice, we have replaced the battery twice, and we have replaced the starter once. The van has been to 2 different Dodge dealerships (in 2 different states), 2 run-of-the-mill mechanics, and an electrician. We have sunk a LOT of money into this thing and still have no answers.

We replaced the battery again in March, and it wasn't driven for 3 days and the brand new battery was dead. The sliding doors don't lock, and they won't open with the key or the buttons, you must open them manually. The back hatch is super finicky on when it will open. Every time we take it to be worked on, it seems to run fine for a few days and then starts freaking out again. When we first had the problems, we took it to a dealership and they could find no problems so the manager said it was probably the BCM. I took his word and replaced that. It ran perfectly fine until the day after the part warranty expired (ain't that the way it always goes?). We were weeks away from a military cross-country move at that point and had to try and figure it out. It somehow fixed itself and we made it from TX to OK just fine. Drove around in OK for a few weeks no problems. Made it from OK to OH just fine and 3 days after we got to OH it started acting up again. The dealership here looked it over, charged us and told us there was nothing they could do since they can't replicate the problem. The electrician had it for almost 2 weeks and couldn't find anything.

I have no idea what to do...please help!!!!!

(Here's a link to a video my husband took of it happening while he was driving) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gKZBeGZIU&feature=channel_video_title
  • Thank you for sending me the link regarding the recalls for the ignition problem. I contacted Chrysler ( not the dealer) and told them my 2008 T&C was shutting off just as the recall had stated for the 2009 and 2010 T&C vans. After Chrysler contacted the dealer, they were willing to work with me. After some research, the dealer found that my key would get stuck in the START position and then when I would hit a bump, the key would jump past the ON position to the ACC position which shut the car off. I finally will be getting a new ignition module this week at no cost to me.
  • Hello, the problem I had with my van was that the dashboard wasnt working and the car would start for 2 seconds then shut off. after spending a lot of money trying to get it fixed we found out the problem...it is the dashboard area where the speedometer and other things are. we had that replaced and havent had a problem since. The wiring is faulty so after a while you may need to replace it again, but we havent had a problem since we changed it out (cost 20 bucks at pick and pull) and its been six months.
  • My daughter has the 1999 town & country minivan. she has been to 2 auto repair shops and her problem sounds similiar. When she runs the air the car doesnt go out of first gear and it will cut off. Check engine light comes on at will and the power windows work when they want. Turn signals also work at will. What is the name of the part you got from the junkyard?
  • hi Len my name is david i was reading ur story about what happened to ur mini van i have the same problem with mine, i have a chrysler town and country 2001 and everything started when i was driving and i stopped in a traffic light my mini van turn it off by its self so i needed to have the ac on, then not even with that worked , so every time i was trying to turn it on the revolutions starts to go up and down and after a few minutes its shut it off again . so i took it to the mechanic they told me the problem was the main computer or pcm , camshaft sensor also they told me the problem was electrical so i needed to towing to my house cos they dont have the equipment to do it , so i tried to turn it on again but it was impossible so gave it a jump started so it turn it on for a few seconds then it looks like it has not more power at all so if u can help me or give me some advice i gonna really appreciated it its looks like it is a dashboard circuit problem the same u described above so i will leave my email address susandvic@hotmail.com thank you so much for ur time ... my best regards ... david
  • bhotchkissbhotchkiss Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    How can it be the instrument Cluster I have it out completely and the car still starts perfectly I don't see anything bad on the circuit board
  • I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND THE AC NEEDS TO BE RESET. START YOUR VEHICLE TURN YOUR COLD AND HOT CONTROLS ALL THE WAY OVER TO FULL COLD PUT THE CONTROL KNOB TO YOUR FACE ONLY AND THEN TURN ON THE CONTROL SWICTH TO FULL BLAST, NOW TO THE FAR LEFT-YOUR CONTROLS TO YOUR BACK WIPER HOLD THE TOP AND BOTTOM BUTTONS DOWN UNTIL THE AIR STARTS BLOWING OUT OF ALL THE VENTS AT DIFFERENT TIMES LET GO. WHEN IT FINISHES RESETTING ITSELF THE TOP BUTTON WILL START FLASHING VERY SLOW AND THEN PUSH IT TO TURN IT OFF AND YOUR DONE. HOPE THIS HELPS!!
  • spookie37spookie37 Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    MY INTERIOR LIGHTS IN MY 1998 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN KEEP FLASHING IN FRONT BETWEEN THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER WHEN THE DOOR IS OPEN AND IS RUNNING MY BATTERY DOWN. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? I JUST STOPPED THE BUTTON LIGHTS FROM FLASHING NOW THE OVERHEAD INTERIOR LIGHTS ARE
  • fev1fev1 Posts: 4
    2002 with 80k miles in great condition except for this which makes it undriveable - especially in the Georgia heat:
    without warning simultaneously the AC stops, the power windows won't work, the windsheild wipers won't work, AND all of the lights telling you what gear you're in (DRNP) all light up at the same time. The Transmission computer was replaced for $700 but to no avail. Sometimes everything starts working again after driving for a few minutes, but unpredictable. Our dealer has had the car literally for about 2 months now and cannot find the solution. Desperate.
  • Ok, here's what we have done for this car since March '11: New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new instrument cluster board, new main computer, new CAM sensors (4 of them with three under warranty) new temp sensor last Sat. and probably some other stuff, but I don't want to get depressed by pulling out the bills. It's a little over $3K so far. Latest events have happened since the new main computer of last month. It still cuts off at times while in drive, but stopped, like on an exit ramp. The temp gauge has been stuck on a little past Cold even though it's warmed up. The battery light now comes on after it has been started a few seconds. First there's a "ding" then the light. The Check Engine" light is on all the time now, but it isn't throwing any codes. That all started happening last Friday and we had AAA tow it in again (Thank heavens for AAA Plus and a mechanic who's about 4 miles away.) We had our mechanic hot solder the instrument cluster board where it showed on the video someone posted on here even though he couldn't see a problem. Today while going down the interstate the tach and speedometer went crazy. I'm hoping for a day off this week so I can take it back to OFM (Our Favorite Mechanic). It's at the point now that it's a challenge to him to fix. So any help would be appreciated. After so many people said that soldering the board corrected the problem, I was so hoping that would do it. HELP!!
  • Hate to tell you this, :D but if there one short in this car,or something grounding out, it will throw almost anything off electically, My car had door locks going crazy, tach ometer pinned in some cases, the fuel gage ,when we filled it up, went up and down. Door ajar lite came on. it was a mess. I knew it had to some thing with the door. We couldnt find it .finely my guy said it was the passenger slider door contact so he disconnected it. cars has been great ever since. moral of the story go w/ wat you feel it is most likely the 1st sign it gives you is the area to go in. you have an ignition short. P.S. Your crazy to had spent 3 k on that car. I just bought a 1999 jeep grand cherokee for 3k and it to has its elect probs. but thanks to google we solved the problem :blush: cars great . try googleing your problem it helps me G O O D L U C K :)
  • Thanks for the reply. There are plenty of reasons why we needed to spend $$ keeping this van on the road with first and foremost the lift for my husband's power chair is in it. Just don't have the 10K to 50K for a van that can handle handicap issues.

Again, would appreciate some helpful suggestions.
  • I am sure you probably tried this but I was having this issue and a friend who is a mechanic told me to change my ac filter, I said I did and he said no.. the one behind the glove box. Apparently there are 2 of them but it is something to make it a failsafe he said. You literaly have to remove the glove box to get to it and napa sold the part for like 80.00 but I havent had the issue since. Good luck to you and yours.
  • Thank you for the helpful reply. I've sent it on to our mechanic who will have the van today. It's sure worth a try. I don't think this filter has been changed in all this nightmare.
  • I have a 2002 T&C Limited with electrical problems. A few months ago I was driving across a bridge when the van cut out on me. It was raining very badly at the time. I took out the battery and alternator and had them tested. They were both good. I looked at the fuses and the ignition fuse had popped. So I bought a box of ignition fuses but they all popped too. Then, I took it to the dealership and they had no clue. I then took it to another shop. They found several wires that oil had dripped on and the heat from the exhaust apparently burned thru the wires. They re-connected the wires and installed a new computer I bought but it still doesn't run. They thought they had it fixed and even drove it around all week. But when I came to pick it up (on a rainy day) they said it popped the ignition fuse again. Now, they are still working on it but it doesn't look like it can be fixed. I have been reading about the printed circuit board on this discussion. Does anyone know anything that might be helpful? I would greatly appreciate it.
  • sounds like it could be a problem with the instrument cluster circuit board. cracked or bad solder joint. try this link to compare with your problems. you will also find some You Tube posts on caravan insrument clusters

http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/dodge-caravan/T4AJES74F3AC3VOAB

also have seen some info that disconecting / reconnecting battery will reset instrument panel in some cases

good luck
  • I dealt with this problem in my 99 T&C Van for almost 2 years. At first the instrument cluster would go dead. For a while I could hit the dash on top of instrument cluster and it would come back on for a period of time (hours to days) then it would go dead again. Finally it stayed off all the time and never got it to come back again. During this time, their was a couple of instances when the van went completely dead. I had it towed to the shop twice within a 5 month period and both times (different shops) they replaced a PCM module. The second module was under warrenty, but these instances w (labor, parts, etc.) were expensive. The last time the so called repair only lasted 2 days before the van would start for 3 seconds and then die. After trying to start it several times it died completely. I read many of the post on this site and got the idea that the problem with the dash and the not starting may have something in common with the alarm system. One post mentioned that the alarm system goes through the instrument cluster circuit board. I removed the instrument cluster circuit board and found a solder joint on one of the pins on the main connector that was actually separated from the pin. I needed a magnifying glass to find it. This is why the problem is sometimes intermittent. A bump in the road or a vibration could open and close the circuit. I re-soldered the pin and have not had a problem since. The van has been running great for the last six months with all electrical accessories working. I have regained confidence in its dependability. Thanks to all who take the time to impart their wisdom on these posts. I came very close to scraping a perfectly good vehicle.
  • I just recently purchased a used 2002 dodge caravan and I have noticed nothing electrical works without the van being started, example: the overhead dome lights and power locks will not function without starting the van. I can not open the back hatch without using the key unless the van is started. Suggestions?
  • Problem ongoing for almost a year.
    Clicking when starting.
    Replaced: alternator, battery cables, battery, starter
    Still clicking
    Electrial problems... tail light out (not a bulb) headlights out (same time?)
    Squealing under hood, had belts replaced.

Any ideas?
  • try disconnecting the battery for 5 min and reconnect it – this will reset the BCM and lights may work.

Also, there a known problems with instrument cluster problems due to bad solder connections or cracked circuit board in the instrument cluster panel - search Youtube and web on this. Good luck
  • You need to replace the instrument cluster in your van. I had the same problem and after spending a fortune replacing things that didn't need to be replaced, we replaced the instrument cluster and haven't had a problem since! Good Luck!
  • i too have a 97 chrysler town and country that has problems. some times when i start it it will turn over and then die. The gauges also will not register that i even have gas or anything. i started disconnecting the positive battery cable normally i only had to wait 10 minutes then it would reset and run fine. but lately even when it has been disconnected for days it will do the same thing start then die :( and on the occasion it does decide to start it gives me new problems. any time i come to a complete stop my oil light dings at me but when i accelerate it stops. i check my oil when it does this and the oil is fine. at one time it through an anti theft code. i have also heard it could be the engine computer going bad. if anyone has any info i would appreciate it.
  • fev1fev1 Posts: 4
    Ok, I'm the guy with the 2002 that would have the AC, windows die, and all transmission indicator lights come on. They finally fixed it. They replaced the power relay module that is inside the engine compartment - they discovered that everytime they touched it it reproduced the problem. the parts involved were RL727079-AF, 5102969-AB, 4685719-AH,4727370-AA. The whole job cost over $900.
  • linda456, "Caravan/Town & Country Electrical Problems" #534, 12 May 2011 5:37 am#MSG533

Check linda456 out because he helped fix my problems and the problems on my sister's and brother's van.

God Bless!
  • i have same problems a year ego and i get a used cluster, that was the problems
  • I have a Town & Country 2005 and the headlights are pulsating along with the interior lights! Dealership dont know the problem. Had my battery and alternator checked out positive. Is there a lawsuit going on for these problems? Noticed many have the same problems.
  • rlharrisrlharris Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    my issue sounds just like post #152 by lsavinsky. Thought the battery was going out; little lag on the start-up. Tonight, after moving the van forward in the driveway, the engine will not turn off. Sounds like starter continued to run. Finally ran itself out before I could find a wrench to disconnect the battery post, white smoke from underneath front of engine smelled like electrical/rubber fire.

Any idea what might be going on?
  • ok ive had my 97 town & country lxi for a few years now and its had its share of problems and now the recent one is my rear ac and rear wiper and washer lights just flash all the time and nothing works but if i shut it off and start it up again they dont flash and everything works just fine does anyone know what this could be