Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caravan/Town & Country Electrical Problems

Comments

• It took three weeks but found the culprit. Son took out the main computer (locatedup on it's edge on the backside of the battery. Had it checked out at a dealership parts dept. A previous owner had replaced the original with a part out of a used vehicle. Not even the same model, year, etc. Just can't do that. The wonder was that they were able to make the van even run at all. There were warning signs: Doors would lock themselves. seat adjustment settings would go crazy, & some other things. Thanks for all the imput. It all helped. Sbabcock
  • Are you saying that someone replaced the main computer with one from another model year, and that you had to replace that computer with a new one to solve all of your problems? You aren't clear about the solution. Just the problem.
  • Basically, yes. I'm not the mechanic, so perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. During the 3 weeks, mechanic found some other problems (some were likely related to the main computer problem) The van mow runs like a top - even the turn signal turns itself off when it should. sbk
  • Not sure about the 1999, but I recently received a recall notice for my 2005 T&C and it said something about the wiper motor.
  • Hello Snorkleman,

A year ago you wrote " I like to do some basic maintenance myself such as oil and oil filter changes.

Basically I see that every other oil change I should be also changing the air conditioning filter.

What is the cheapest quality filter that I can use?

For example, I do NOT buy a Mopar oil filter and I use the Supertech oil filter sold at Wal-Mart.

Since this a/c filter needs to be changed fairly regularly, I assume that some of you should be able to quickly answer this question."

I couldn't find a way to reply to that message; however, I have the same question. Did you ever find a source for reasonably priced AC filters?

Patrick/phhill3
  • If you are referring to the cabin filter, a Bosch Charcoal filter is $28.99. We have a 01 DGC EX and this filter only needs to be changed every 15K or less. (Depending if you live in a dusty area.) :shades:
  • 1. If, by "cabin filter" you're talking about the filter that filters air inside the passenger compartment, yes, that's what I'm talking about
    2. If you have this kind of filter for a T&C Van, do you also have it for a Pontiac Vibe 2003? If yes, for how much and what would shipping cost me for the two filters?

Patrick
  • Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but I don't sale these filters. I found ours at Autozone. You can check their website autozone.com for pricing and shipping. :shades:
  • Started a few months ago, after starting the car there would be no power to windows, wipers, radio, fan for a few minutes then it would kick in. That happened intermittently for a couple of weeks. Then the check engine light came on while driving and the transmission would not shift into third; turned the car off (light stayed on) but trans okay. The check engine light would eventually go out itself. This happened a couple of times. Each of those issues have self resolved, but now the brake light (dashboard) and ABS light are on continuously. I don't want to think about what's next, but I hate the idea of going to the dealer with an electrical problem. Any ideas?
  • limpylimpy Posts: 1
    I have an "02 T &C. Recently, all accessories shut down after starting. While trouble shooting this problem, after several starts the engine would not crank. I took it to a dealer. The tech first said that acid had dripped into the harness, causing a short. Repair would be $200 to $500. After i authorized that amount, he said that The tranny solenoid had been leaking into the harness and had haderned the insulation on the wires so badly that he could not find a place to begin the repair. the harness would have to be replaced at a cost ot $2500. Doesn't the wiring actually go into the solenoid where it is exposed to transmission fluid? A few years back another manufacturer had a problem with hardening wiring and they recommended soaking the harness in oil to keep it soft.
  • Thank you for your quick response.

I went to town this morning and the cooling fan stopped running altogether. It got hot and I had to wait for it to cool down before I could get it home. It is a 1996 and has 213,000 miles on it. It's been a great vehicle; I need something smaller because my kids are 17 and 19 now.

Regards
  • Hi,

Any one who has experienced a similar situation to this. I have a 2005 town and country with 49,000 miles. Recently, the interior lights on the passenger side middle and back row will come on while driving for no reason and then shut off after a short period??? Any help would be appreciated.
  • '01 T&C: I carry a wheelchair & have successfully charged it up while driving with inverter connected to rear outlet for 12 months BUT now no juice to this & the other front outlet with power controlled by ignition switch. Power is on at the outle not controlled by ignition switch.

Is there an in-line circuit breaker? Everything else works & cannot find blown fuse.

HELP!

Thanks

coakleysr
  • I have a 2001 town and country and the power doors and hatch work when the want to...and today the outside tepm claimed to be 90 out ..I thought it was funny being we had about 6 inches of snow on the ground ...I am afraid to get it checked any clue whats wrong... :lemon:
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    My 2002 T&C LXi has 3 powered doors (sides and tailgate). All of them work fine when warm.

After the weather cools down to 50F, all 3 of them click (unlock), but don't slide.
    Sliding manually is working.
    After this initial problem, power sliding works OK in both directions.
    If a minivan is first warmed up, there is no problem.

A dealer mechanic suggested there could be some door switch contacts oxidizing overnight or sticking. If this is true, where would I find it? Could it be on 3 doors at the same time?

Please share your experinence!
  • I spoke to the dealer and they told me the same thing ....I have to replace all three of them...I will find out where they are in the doors and lift gate ...! (so what they are telling us is every winter we will have the same problem)....thats a crock....!!!!!
  • My wife and I bought a T&C Touring model with only 10miles on it from Urban Chrysler in Foothill Ranch, CA; sales guy was great, the car had issues- On the night we took it home, shut off to grab a drink, got back on the car and the electrical dash is dead; no lights, no gages, nothing. Then, the next morning, the car turns on and everything seems ok, until another week - it happens again, took to the dealership and got some lip service of them not finding the problem; I went to Disneyland the following weekend; same thing happening, cannot see gages or any electrical issue; I have posted a video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZfKCGwdv0k
  • I just bought a 2006 T&C with 10mi out the door; on the first night, the dash cluster pooped out and all gages and display DEAD - i took it to the dealership to fix and they claim it was intermitent- so I got it back; a week later, it pooped again, took it to the dealership again- hook it up to their machine and they said everything was fine; then, a 3rd time happened; i video taped this problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZfKCGwdv0k

:sick:
    In any case, Chrysler is not taking responsibility and I'm very disappointed at this car, at me buying this car, and I just do not want any1 else to suffer the same problem(s)
  • I would see if there is some type of lemon law in your state.. Or I would take it to a differnt chrysler dealer. wish you the best of luck...
  • megcoumegcou Posts: 1
    after I replaced it, 4 out of the 6 buttons by my heat controls (the rear wiper button, rear wiper intermittent button, a/c button and air circulating button ) now blink for 20 mins after starting the car. Does anyone have any idea what this means?