Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caravan/Town & Country Electrical Problems

Comments

• tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    I don't have a T&C but on my car I noticed the lights going dim/bright shortly before the alternator went out.

A loose ground or corroded connection has been the cause of electrical surges in some other threads.
  • Anyone know how to test a CPS?
  • My 2005 T&C has the same problem. Once in a while it just starts working and then after another little while, it doesn't work. It is my left rear brake and blinker not working. Regular light comes on.
  • t301t301 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 T&C that has had a dimming problem since it was purchased. I have had it in many times only to have the dealer say everything is OK. Now that the warrenty is over I bet they will find a problem. This has been a complete pile of junk since new. It has had a new power stearing pump, computer, misc. motor components and new rings at 25,000 miles because it was using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. It has had the front sway arm bushings replaced 3 times. The vehicle only has 42,000 miles on it and now the bushings need replacement again. Chrysler does not stand behind their warrenty. I am looking at a new Honda because I cannot afford the up keep of this vehicle. I have always purchased American vehicles but that may change soon. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • tmechtmech Posts: 1
    Working on a 2002 Grand Caravan.
    When key is on run or acc mode, all systems (radio, fan motor, wipers)
    work. as soon as you start vehicle, they all shut down.
    Charging system running at 14. volts, No codes in computer, Switched acc system relay..No change.
    Anybody have this happen to them?
    Trying to help out a friend with their Caravan and though I've been a tech for 23 years. I'm failing miserably on this one.

Tony
  • rsg2rsg2 Posts: 3
    Hoping someone has some suggestions...Our 2003 Town and Country's reverse lights have stopped working. Thought it was a bulb or a fuse and it's not. Seems it may be something electrical and I don't know how to fix that! Any suggestions on how in depth it may be and if I have to have it fixed, how much the cost may be? Thanks!
  • For starters you have a short on the backup lamp line. Was any work done on the Van ,such as trailer wiring? Second the BCM more than likely has a open driver IC for the backup lamps in it. I have worked on many of these BCM's with this same problem. I am a electronics tech that has worked on Chry electronics ,BCM,s Clusters,Radios and also the Chry RB4 nav radio for the past 24 years. You can msg me and I can give you more info on how to trouble shoot the BCM.
  • What Nav radio do you have ? If it is the RB4 .I can help you.I work for the only service center in the country that still works on this radio.
    Thank you for the info on the backup lights. Is this something easy to check out? We have not had any work done, such as trailer wiring as you mentioned.
    I just thought of one more thing. The only thing we've had done recently (that may correspond with the time the backup lights stopped working) is we had the transmission fluid changed. Could this be related? I know they had a hard time getting the cap off to change it (my technical term "cap" as I am not "car-tech" savvy.
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    we had the transmission fluid changed.

Hmm...I read another thread recently where someone was having trouble with the backup lights. Apparently they could get the lights to come on if they wiggled the shifter a little when it was in reverse. There was some adjustment that needed to be done to the linkage.

I wonder if the mechanic bumped something under there with a tool when he was fighting with the trans drain plug?
  • Many years ago I had a simular problem with one of my Fords. It turned out to be a problem in the ignition switch. There is a contact in the switch that feeds the ACC (Accessories). I would check to make sure that the wire that feeds the cars accessories has power.
  • lisekwrlisekwr Posts: 1
    I had an issue with my 05, and took it to the dealer. Have your dealer give you your money back, there was a recall an all town and countrys, they had an issue with the computer. It needed an update and it should have been done for free.
  • mbarbarambarbara Posts: 1
    My wife and I traded our 03 Durango in for a brand new 08 Town and Country on 2/14 and the joy lasted all of 2 weeks. We got the signature series which has everything the limited has minus nav and seat presets.
    The first issue happened one nite when my wife put the van in gear after being stopped with the engine runnign and being placed into park. The shifter would not drop down into drive and was locked in park with the engine running. She turned the car off, took out the key and restarted it, which then allowed her to put it in drive.

Two nites later we went to the store and the same thing happened when I tried to start the car and back out of a parking space. But this ime the car would not give up my key. It let me stop the engine but locked the key in the ACC position. I fumbled the key back and forth for 5 minutes and it suddenly just let loose and everything worked.

This past weekend we drove up north and enjoyed the 1st 25 minutes with no radio, sat, sattv, nothing. We just watched aas the chrysler emblem appeared and disappeared constantly on the mygig system. The miraculously healed itself and returned to normal operation for the remainder of the trip and no problems on the ride home. My wife took it to the dealer on Monday and was told a fuse was inserted backwards on purpose while at the dealer on the lot and they reversed it when it left, they forgot to do this with ours (they didnt realize that I am an electrical systems engineer and am not dumb enough to believe that fuses have polarity but maybe ...). We gave them the benefit of the doubt and hoped for the best.

Tonite took the cake. On the way home my wife stopped for gas. After starting the car she she realized her window would not go back up, all the interior accessory lites stayed off, and the radio was once again showing the chrysler emblem and not turning on. She drove 3 blocks and suddenly the window control came back, interior lites came back on and the radio put out music.

I relize this is the 1st mdel year for the new design but come on!!! Our Durango was a 1st yr car and it was fine. I have never had any type of issues like this. I think I have a lemon and dread the coming moths of documenting repairs and wasting time.

There is one thing that is out of the norm. The dealer installed a UConnect mic as it did not come with our van about a week and a half after we took delivery. The voice commands and bluetooth work normal when the rest of the car does so I dont think the uconnect installation is the issue but who knows... Thank God I didnt install it myself this time.

Has anyone heard of any issues with the new town and countries that are anyway similar to this? I am guessing its an electric issue but did not think the ingition, windows, gearshift, or even key issue would be tied to the same systems controlling the radio. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Marty
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I am guessing its an electric issue but did not think the ingition, windows, gearshift, or even key issue would be tied to the same systems controlling the radio.

The ignition, windows, dash, etc., are all tied into the Body Control Module, but not sure about the radio and other accessories. If they were, then the BCM might simply be defective or have a loose connector.
  • lholcomblholcomb Posts: 2
    I had my ABS system replace a year ago. Since then my ABS & brake light comes on. I've taken it in and the last time they told me the wiring harness keeps coming loose so that is why my lights come on. Is this something that can be fixed at home or should it be taken to the dealership? Any suggestion or anyone else have problems with their dash lights coming on. I also lost all dash lights the last time this happened but they taped the harness and it's lasted about 5 months. Thanks.
  • My door locks suddenly stopped working, no one can find a problem, but they don't work from the remote or from the switch inside the car. suggestions?
  • beaupiedbeaupied Posts: 1
    I know what you're going thru....<2 weeks into my lease w/an 08 RT T&C Touring, the key fob issues started...wireless ignition node (WIN) went wrong...hence the jiggling to get the key out of acc or even out of the ignition..
    I had no wipers (it was snowing), no heat, no radio, no wiindows, no power locks and no turn indicators. Luckily, I was two miles from the dealership I got it from. Over 3 weeks later, the replacement part came in. It's been now two weeks since that and this week I noticed dimming in the PRNDL lights and the radio lights. I drvie w/my lights on always, day and night. Yesterday I noticed dimming in the headlights on my way to work...called the dealership, left a msg, but no response.
    This morning on I75 just north of Detroit at 80mph, 6am, still night darkness...the headlights went completely out on me. Imagine my fright!
    This time it's something called the TIPM, Total Integrated Power Module. It's getting looked at as I type....don't know the outcome just yet.
  • hasteenhasteen Posts: 1
    I have the some problem, my door looks dont work from inside of by the remote.